Games - The RPG thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games The RPG thread

kakashi919

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Dragon Age 2 is on top of my list. One was an amazing game... I don't really like these kind of RPGs, but DA was really great and I enjoyed it a lot. Never played any Mass Effect or The Witcher, so I don't really know if I'll be getting them.

I'll also be looking forward to Dead Space 2, even though I haven't finished 1 yet :XD

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
If you like 3rd person shooters, then Mass Effect should be okay...it's mainly a 3rd person shooter, with lots of RPG elements incorporated...the graphics are amazing and the controls...well there are some annoying stuff in the first installment, but the 2nd repaired them...

g0dzax

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Yeah,Mass Effect 3 seems to be a very good candidate to the GOTY.Also,it combines amazing graphics with a very good story and optional quests.However,since it's a 3rd person shooter with RPG elements,I don't think that the gameplay can be improved too much,it will be the classic point and shoot.Maybe they'll introduce hand-to-hand combat and melee combat,it would be awesome.Also,all of the Mass Effect games are really well optimized(Dragon Age too)I could play them on high graphics with a relatively weak computer.And yeah,since it's about Earth,I expect various quests related to earth and other stuff,it's gonna be awesome.Maybe until then I'll upgrade my computer so I can enjoy the graphics.Then again,since it's the last part of the Mass Effect games,they must introduce some new elements.One thing that I hope,after launching the game,I won't hear them talking about Mass Effect 4.The games are great,but I think that they are just interested in making money,not something original.
Though my favourite one still remains The Witcher 2.I just keep watching the trailers,this game will be awesome.
Another RPG VERY VERY promising : Diablo 3 .A gameplay : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sssu_9DiW4g&feature=fvst .Diablo 2 was just epic,and I expect this one to be another epic.Expected launch date : Q4 2011.
I recently finished an RPG : Divinity 2 The Dragon Knight Saga.By some unknown magic,I simply didn't even know that this game existed lol.But,I stumbled across it when I was bored.I was amazed by the graphics,very good,though the story is not that great,it is decent enough.I spent more than 60 hours playing this game which I recommend for everyone.Very good graphics,decent gameplay,decent storyline,decent sound.One of the best moments in the games is actually in the latest part of the game,close to the ending.
A trailer to this game : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aYXDWXFYFk.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'm currently playing Mass Effect 2.

It's disappointing me a little bit in the RPG part to be honest. The "skill trees" aren't worth to be called such, it's really down to the very basics. I think the upgrade system is fine though.

Still, it has a very good gameplay and is really enjoyable to play. It keeps me motivated to play on and has good characters (even if it's perhaps even too much?). However, I had liked if it would deliver a stronger RPG focus. I think the combat system itself is fine -even if it's very easy for experienced shooter players to deliver lots of headshots and to get through very easily even on highest difficulty- but it might've profited of more different spells.

I'm also not much of a fan of this kind of health/shield system. For those who didn't play it: There are four kinds of health/shields (Health, Armor, Shields, Barrier) which all pretty much work the same way. Characters have rather few survivability, but regenerate in a few seconds once they didn't suffer any damage for approximately five seconds. This counts for every type of health.
Armor, Shields and Barriers also block certain spells. Basically every spell works against health, but many don't against one or more types of shields etc. I don't specifically like it. Once an enemy is down to health only, he's dead after one or two headshots anyways.

As a player with a lot of experience in shooter games I picked the soldier class. I don't see how any other class could keep up with the pure damage output of a sniper/assault rifle with fire ammo (+60% weapon damage over 3 seconds) and that slow-motion skill (which pretty much guarantees 100% headshots for the time active). Just adding skills like +Assault weapon damage and +50% headshot damage for sniper rifles, and the highest difficulty is a piece of cake.

Zeltrax

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Not sure if I'm really looking forward to Dragon Age 2.
The first one didn't impress me like I expected and the writing isn't that good either, I don't know if I'll be getting 2 until the reviews are up.

Star Ocean is a game I recommend to check it out, esp Star Ocean 2. I think the star ocean series deserves more attention :darn.
Well, for people who played the Last hope..it was okay, not really good in the story development but the previous 2 games were great.

I'm the kind that chooses story over graphics, so yeah, the story is a crucial factor and is also one of the reason why I enjoyed Final Fantasy 7 so much and also the prequel, Crisis Core. Whoa, those 2 were so long ago.

I'm also not one of those that likes Dragon Quest because of the frustrating battle system and characters that I'll never warm up too.

Which means that gameplay is another factor for me, as long as the gameplay is good, I'll be sitting through the game for a long time.
Take Zelda series on the ds for example, never really like the combat system the first time but the simplicity grew on me and the puzzles+rpg made me love the game so much.
Looking forward to Ocarina of time on the 3DS ;) !

I also heard Persona 3 being mentioned and I agree that it is epic. Just finished it months ago with the boy character, never got to using the female's one though. Sometimes I wonder when they will ever release a new Persona game.
For people who enjoyed P3 and own a DS, I recommend you to check out Shin megami tensei Devil Survivor, it's very similar to P3 IMO and it's a great game.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Atlus mentioned that Persona 5 is under development. It will probably be out in Japan this year or next year.

As for Devil's Survivor, I'm planning to wait to get the 3DS version.

kakashi919

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
A 3ds Devil Survivor? They're making one?
I'm actually playing the one for DS right now,it's quite a good game.

I'm not really looking forward to Persona 5,since I haven't beaten any of them yet and never played 4 either...

kakashi919

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Started Radiant Historia,and I must say,it's definitely one of the best games of the year that I've played. They really did a great job with the story and characters. I definitely recommend this if anyone is looking for an RPG for DS.

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'm playing Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness in my psp right now and I'm currently enjoying it. Hope this continues. xD

Zeltrax

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Started Radiant Historia,and I must say,it's definitely one of the best games of the year that I've played. They really did a great job with the story and characters. I definitely recommend this if anyone is looking for an RPG for DS.
Playing this too. Currently at the part when I have to use the sewers to enter the castle in Standard history, for the other history, I'm at the part where the enemy is attacking the sand fortress.
Pretty much just started, haven't had enough time to continue since the weekend :darn.
I agree, it's quite a new way to play rpg.

kakashi919

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I'm playing Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness in my psp right now and I'm currently enjoying it. Hope this continues. xD
I liked that game... I kept going back to level 1 to get stronger, reached back to level 700 at some point,so I though I was strong enough for anything. Then I ran into some pretty badass enemies lol

Playing this too. Currently at the part when I have to use the sewers to enter the castle in Standard history, for the other history, I'm at the part where the enemy is attacking the sand fortress.
Pretty much just started, haven't had enough time to continue since the weekend :darn.
I agree, it's quite a new way to play rpg.
My brother is playing it also,and from what I understand,every one's choices have different effects on the story. His first choice was different from mine, but I thought it would end up the same as my story at some point,but it's completely different from mine. That's one of the reason I really like this game :tem

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Someone told me about Divinity 2: Ego Draconis...is it worth playing, cuz I heard is one longass game

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Someone told me about Divinity 2: Ego Draconis...is it worth playing, cuz I heard is one longass game
Yes, it's a great game. I bought it mainly because it was made in Belgium. I didn't expect such a complete game. It was really well made but it's old school. The only originality is the transformation in Dragon (really great by the way) which comes very late in the game. Scenario & side quests really are at a very good level.

Note that there were some annoying bugs (all solvable but when you don't know it ...) ... game refusing to be played in 1680*1050 for example (you need to update a file manually) ...

The release of Ego Dragonis was rushed ... it's the reason Dragon Knight Saga followed ...

Ego dragonis is only the main original bugged game. If you buy Dragon Knight Saga , you got Ego Dragonis (with most bugs corrected , improved gameplay & graphics !!!) + the addon & it's the same price (on steam) !!! And honestly, the real ending is at the end of the addon.

For me, the only real drawback: Dragon age 2 coming out next week ...

Last edited:

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
I see...I saw videos on youtube...is the character movement as bad as it seemed or as those comments made it out to be? How's the gameplay...hack'n slash or maybe some combos? I really want to know, before I get it patch it and all that...

I didn't finish Dragon Age, yet, but I'm pretty drawn to the story...the gameplay is a bit stiff, but it's well thought out, with a huge importance on tactics...so I'm liking it so far...I think dragon age 2 will be pretty good as well

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
About the character movement, you learn some moves during the game. You start as someone who almost can't jump or avoid anything ... but later on, you'll be much more agile

I think this video is representative of the gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTeEuo5B-8g&feature=player_embedded
I don't call this a hack & slash :).

NB: In the DKS edition, I still had some annoying bugs like the 1680*1050 bug (for which a solution can be found easily on the web) & one place where an ennemy didn't showed up in a side quest. I sent a mail to larian studio with my saved data & they sent me a corrected saved data two days later. Normally it should have been fixpacked now.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Atlus just announced Devil Survivor 2 for the DS.

It seems to have the same concept like the first one except with different characters.

More info on Devil Survivor 2 is up.

Last edited:

AlB

Reaction score
Country
Georgia
I think dragon age 2 will be pretty good as well
:crying
I thought so tooooooooooooooo whaaaaaa :crying :crying

DA2 has nothing on Origins, unfortunately. And in video games sequel must always be better than its predecessor, otherwise what's the point, right? I'm just warning you not to get your hype up too much, though who knows: maybe you'll like it.

Origins is the best RPG I have ever played. I honestly recommend following it to the end and playing all its DLCs and Expansion. Have you reached Landsmeet yet, btw?

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
:crying
I thought so tooooooooooooooo whaaaaaa :crying :crying

DA2 has nothing on Origins, unfortunately. And in video games sequel must always be better than its predecessor, otherwise what's the point, right? I'm just warning you not to get your hype up too much, though who knows: maybe you'll like it.

Origins is the best RPG I have ever played. I honestly recommend following it to the end and playing all its DLCs and Expansion. Have you reached Landsmeet yet, btw?
Na, it really must not.
Just play an awesome game and think "Hey, why doesn't this game continue 30 hours longer with that awesome gameplay and quality :(" and you realise that a sequel only needs to live up to the old standards :D

I didn't even play DA2 yet because I felt it failing already when I heard that they're going to have a fixed hero now instead of a self created character. Such a drastic change in the basic concept never goes without more changes, and more changes rarely ever go without a disappointment, especially for a game with a not incredibly long developement time.
Blizzard for example always has incredibly long developement times and whatever they do and change, it's still great.