Games - The RPG thread | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games The RPG thread

Hystzen

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
if you have a PSP try
Valkyria chronicles 2

it a solid RPG n nice art style..

only few hours into it but i defo worth a rent if people not wana take a risk with it...plus the main character is funny n likeable

Queenofmuffins

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yay, an RPG thread! \o/
I'm going to have to check Dragon Quest out! I've seen it for sale a few times but never got around to picking it up. :3

Probably my favourite RPG has to be Oblivion... I'd also reccomend Blue Dragon or Baldur's Gate! Both are excellent games.

Last edited:

Hystzen

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
just ordered Renosance of Fate for ps3 £18 n will be here prob wednesday.

looks a cool RPG with a mad twist...it also slighty parody of JRPG

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope you'll enjoy it. It seems to have decent reviews. ^^

Queenofmuffins

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia
just ordered Renosance of Fate for ps3 £18 n will be here prob wednesday.

looks a cool RPG with a mad twist...it also slighty parody of JRPG
Let us know how it is! It's another one I've seen around but haven't really been interested in *just* enough to buy it... :tem

Hystzen

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
:crying still not arrived...seems like british post been poo again..play.com says it posted on tuesday ..it should been here yesturday...

:(

IT turned up today..Yeahhh

good game so far..5 hours into...bit of mind boggler at first as you got to go to a aren to learn the combat mehanics or you in trouble..combat is fun reminds me of watching John Woo films flying tru air with guns.

not much plot but it appears slowly and lots to do..enjoyable fun at moment.

i wasted so much money buying clothes for my party memebers ..very addictive :D

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I played Risen a while ago and it was really really boring. It felt like playing a tutorial/preview level for 20 hours, and then the game was over. Damn I really don't get why people ever liked Risen/Gothic. Last good RPG I remember was Dragon Ages, which was a little too easy imo but very very enjoyable, I really loved the game :)
The addon was even much easier then, also kinda short and didn't feel as cool as the original, but it was quite ok.

Right now I'm on pins and needles for Diablo 3! After reading Berserk I want to create a Barbarian and slice through masses of weird creatures!
I couldn't really get myself to play Diablo 2 again, so I'm playing a little Titan Quest. It's not very special and a little boring though :(
I have great memories of Diablo 1, but I couldn't play it again. It's sooo annoying because the character moves with small steps and is really really slow but it had a great atmosphere ^^

Last edited:

jezmyr

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
well there is this ONE PIECE Browser based online game guys check them out click my sig if you want to see

kakashi919

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I was playing Persona 3 on PSP. Great game, good story,a lot to do. Reached really far in the game and then my save file got corrupted -_-;

Decided to play some really old genesis RPGs like Shinning Force 1 and 2 :D

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you playing as the male or female protagonist? That really stinks that your saved file got corrupted. :darn

kakashi919

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Male. I always play with the male first if I have a choice. Except in pokemon, cuz the female designs are always better :XD

My brother was pissed, cuz his file also got corrupted lol. It's not the first time though. Restarted that game about 3 times before lol

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think I usually play with female characters, at least when it suits better. In WoW for example I always chose male Tauren as it definitly suited the race much better.

In many rpgs, most male characters have quite an ugly face while the female faces are decent at least.

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Since you guys are onto RPG, I really suggest playing Dragon Quest IV. The map and the characters are all fun. The story line is also very good.

Grandia 2 is also very good. For me, it's a step up than its sequel Grandia 3 (still good, though, but 2 was a lot better).

kakashi919

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I dunno why, but I just cant stand the Dragon Quest series. I a few of them and just cant stand playing them -_-; Never tried Grandia though. I'm playing over golden sun :XD

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Well, the first few parts tend to suck, but if you focus on the story line more, I think you'll appreciate it, too. xD

Hystzen

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
only one played is cursed king for ps2..enjoyed it til half way when level up ment hour of grinding for 1 level..and the plot just went missing finished it never went for a 2nd run . not played one since

g0dzax

Reaction score
Country
Romania
This year seems to be pretty big : titles like Dragon Age 2 , The Witcher 2 , Mass Effect 3 have been announced.Personally,I expect The Witcher 2 to be GOTY since the first one was really cool,it had a really dark atmosphere and an aura of maturity.From the trailers,the second one will be built not on Aurora Engine,but on an engine that they developed.This could mean that the second entry in The Witcher saga will no longer have enourmous loading times at every door.Also,the graphics seem to be improved.About the gameplay,I shall remain pessimist,even though it seems to be improved.Maybe this time,when you run from a monster and it slashes the air with it's claws,your HP won't be drained lol.Also,the attacks seem more natural,they hit the enemy,it doesn't seem to be the clasic swing sword,pierce air,magically drain hp even though it didn't hit the enemy.Another aspect would be the maturity,maybe this time we will get something bigger than just a card :wub

A masterpiece is also Planescape:Torment.A very old game,yet considered to be the best RPG ever made.I also played it and I have to admit,it's story is really awesome,plus some quests are really just awesome.

Launch Dates:

The Witcher 2 - Assasins Of The Kings 17 May 2011

Dragon Age 2 - Europe : 11 Mar 2011
- USA : 08 Mar 2011

Mass Effect 3 - Q4 2011

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I really hate to say this but most games these days focus on the graphics more. Of course, graphics DO count in highly attracting players to try out the game. However, most game developers seem to forget that the most important (I believe) are the depth and intricacy of the story.

What I am trying to say is that developers usually go for the physical attraction of players. Developers noticed that the better graphics will attract more curious players. "Hey, the graphics look good. Let's buy this one." And when players start to play the game, they would eventually feel disappointed at all midway because the story/features were not enticing at all.

The bottom line is, instead of focusing merely on the better graphics, developers should focus more on how the game is played, what makes the game tick, etc. instead of focusing on merely the face value of the game.

This is only my personal opinion because most games I buy these days are full load of crap. I really dig the early days of the gaming system such as Final Fantasy 7 and 8 wherein the graphics were not that graphically attractive as compared now, but look, their stories have become timeless legends for us that even transcended for, say, 10 years, I think.

Similarly, Dragon Quest 8 from the PS2, is also a very good story for me. Despite poor graphics (like Dragon Ball's), I was pretty satisfied with how the story progressed because the enjoyment level was totally fun.

Grandia 2 was also a game you can consider to have not-so-fancy graphics when you first look at it. But once you reconsider playing the game, you'll eventually lead yourself to a story full of religious controversies and the like.

Of course, there are also some which have successfully combined ASTOUNDING graphics with ASTOUNDING game play like Final Fantasy 10. It seems even before the PS2 was released, this game's story was highly thought of and planned. Try it and you will not even be disappointed one bit provided you like RPG's.

Again, this is only my personal opinion and I hold no grudges to anyone especially the developers.

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Yeah I totally get what you mean, but besides the story (which often turn into hollywood cliche stories more and more) there also is a technical aspect:

In many old games there were special tricks which, so to say, abused the game mechanics. In Starcraft: Broodwar there was the "moving shot" for example, which good players could execute by briefly pressing the "hold" command hotkey, causing the unit to decelerate and shoot, and giving a new move order right away. This way a unit was able to shoot without actually decelerating, it looked like they were shooting while continuisly moving.

Or, in Counter-Strike: pressing the "duck" button quickly twice in a row resulted in making a weird kind of little jump. Repeating that quickly while running resulted into running at almost full speed but surpressing foot steps to a minimum. Also came in handy as a great method to run around corners to avoid getting hit in the head right away.
Just like in Starcraft, it's actually a bug.

Old games used to have a lot of these actual abuses, which, however, defined the way these games were played greatly. Many of such bugs became implemented as actual features into some games as well.
In old Quake for example, people became faster and faster when jumping forward continuisly (this required very, very precise timing though! A player had to hit the jump button right away when hitting the ground again, a misstiming resulted in total loss of speed). This was later implemented into Quake 2 and Quake 3.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
This year seems to be pretty big : titles like Dragon Age 2 , The Witcher 2 , Mass Effect 3 have been announced.Personally,I expect The Witcher 2 to be GOTY since the first one was really cool,it had a really dark atmosphere and an aura of maturity.From the trailers,the second one will be built not on Aurora Engine,but on an engine that they developed.This could mean that the second entry in The Witcher saga will no longer have enourmous loading times at every door.Also,the graphics seem to be improved.About the gameplay,I shall remain pessimist,even though it seems to be improved.Maybe this time,when you run from a monster and it slashes the air with it's claws,your HP won't be drained lol.Also,the attacks seem more natural,they hit the enemy,it doesn't seem to be the clasic swing sword,pierce air,magically drain hp even though it didn't hit the enemy.Another aspect would be the maturity,maybe this time we will get something bigger than just a card :wub

A masterpiece is also Planescape:Torment.A very old game,yet considered to be the best RPG ever made.I also played it and I have to admit,it's story is really awesome,plus some quests are really just awesome.

Launch Dates:

The Witcher 2 - Assasins Of The Kings 17 May 2011

Dragon Age 2 - Europe : 11 Mar 2011
- USA : 08 Mar 2011

Mass Effect 3 - Q4 2011
Mass Effect 3 and The Witcher 2 will be the crown jewels for me...but I'm most excited about Mass Effect
The story is awesome, the graphics and the feeling that the graphics are transmitting is brilliant...I just like go sightseeing with the Mako or the Hammerhead and watch beautiful valleys, awesome landscapes...this third one seems to be focused on earth, so I'm looking forward to it:wtf