Discussion - Most Underrated Characters | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Most Underrated Characters

Who is (are) the most underrated character(s) in Fairy Tail?

• Total voters

kenedyfake

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France

Star Frost

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mirajane is overrated by her fans, but at the same time I see that she is underestimated in the manga by the author himself, which I think she doesn't have her due value and not much screen time, when she should have. Gray and Jellal are greatly underrated. Overrated Luxus, Suzaku (I'm the one who overestimates) and I think some spriggans like God Serena and Bloodman

Base Natsu is also underrated.
I think Mirajane is more under appreciated than underestimated by the author. I mean he clearly doesn’t care to give her proper screen time to show how powerful she is. Her fights with the DEs and Gray were off paneled, and he didn’t even bother to show her other Satan Soul forms. It’s like he thinks statements from other characters recognizing her strength is enough said and done.:s

Ratrace

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Mirajane is more under appreciated than underestimated by the author. I mean he clearly doesn’t care to give her proper screen time to show how powerful she is. Her fights with the DEs and Gray were off paneled, and he didn’t even bother to show her other Satan Soul forms. It’s like he thinks statements from other characters recognizing her strength is enough said and done.:s
I would say stuff like that is worse when it comes to villains.

Shoutmon

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Definitely Haku.

The kid doesn't have the best rep due to losing to Wendy, but people don't really realize just how much the loli had going for her.

First, she can completely negate his insta-win hax that even Natsu was completely helpless against.

Second, her built-in Irene could overwrite his control over his plush army which completely overwhelmed Wendy.

Third, and the biggest one, his crush on Wendy prevented him from fighting her seriously. Sure he said that he wasn't gonna hold back or whatever, but that statement can be thrown out the window after he deliberately took her roar attack because he wanted to feel her breath. Even their fist-clash, which is often used as proof that Wendy can react to him, was most likely him fooling around as instead of being shocked that his prized speed was reacted to, he just gushed about how he and Wendy touched each other's hands , indicating that he purposely let her clash with him (also something to note, him getting a "Rawr" out could also be an indication that he slowed down before the clash). For even more evidence that she's not relative to him, he followed that clash up by easily evading her wing attack + she needed to trap him in a wind cage to land sky drill (and this was on top of him already being pinned down by his own plushies).

The reality of the matter is that Haku is objectively the fastest character in the verse (based on feats/statements), and combined with his plush magic, the most lethal mage in that labyrinth. The Dragon Gods can probably have their speed scaled to his since they're the verse's God tiers, but there is no reason for his peers or anyone else to scale to what is one of his magic's specialties just because their other stats are better than his.

Edit: so I went back and read the chapter again. He actually makes that comment that he's gonna get a little serious after walking into her roar, but "a little serious" (his words) doesn't really change much, especially when he's slurping over the fact that he touched Wendy's hand mid-battle + the fact that he opted to pin her down with his plushies to avoid hurting her.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tio

Lucy>Wendy&Elfman

Reaction score
Country
France
Haku isn't faster than Suzaku.

Lucy>Wendy&Elfman

Reaction score
Country
France
Prove that Suzaku's speed is >= Haku's
Base Wendy reacted to Haku's speed.

Suzaku is so fast for Current Natsu, who's tiers above Wendy, that he has to defend himself in order to not get one-shotted.

Lucy>Wendy&Elfman

Reaction score
Country
France
And what of that fatass paragraph I wrote regarding that scene?
Eh, you may be right here. But Suzaku has better speed feats, so I'm going with him over Haku, lightspeed or not.

Shoutmon

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Eh, you may be right here. But Suzaku has better speed feats, so I'm going with him over Haku, lightspeed or not.
I mean, fair enough that you believe that Suzaku looks faster because the opponent he blitzed is faster than the one Haku blitzed, but to act like that proves that Suzaku's speed is > Haku's is just plain wrong.

Suzaku needs to have proof that he's moving at lightspeed+, and the only way he can get that proof is by either out speeding/blitzing Haku (or another definite lightspeed character), or by getting his own statement.

Last edited:

grey matter

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
In no particular order.

- Gray: Natsu's "rival" since day one. Has been treated like dirt by Mashima in the entire spinoff, leading to arguments like other FT high tiers stomp him in combat and so on.

- Jellal: Has always been portrayed as Laxus level, but treated as some fodder

- Elfman: Mashima constantly portrays him as someone who could hang around with the usual high level mages of FT. Still gets downplayed

- Suzaku: Blitzed and one shot Natsu and Erza. Even current Natsu admits he's one shot material for Suzaku, if not for his scales which pretty much gives him his DF durability. Still gets constantly downplayed

- Ajeel: Pretty much won the solo fight against Erza. Gets downplayed because he lost against Elfman, who was immune to his only offense.

- God Serena: got portrayed with Gildarts, stomped GOI + Jura. Still regarded as some weakass

- Zeref: Has portrayal above all Spriggans even in his base. Gets downplayed cause he lost to literal POF of Natsu, in his FH mode.

I mean, fair enough that you believe that Suzaku looks faster because the opponent he blitzed is faster than the one Haku blitzed, but to act like that proves that Suzaku's speed is > Haku's is just plain wrong.

Suzaku needs to have proof that he's moving at lightspeed+, and the only way he can get that proof is by either out speeding/blitzing Haku (or another definite lightspeed character), or by getting his own statement.
Future Rouge is light speed too, because he can literally turn himself into light. Natsu got blitzed once, then he started reacting.
I think some of these aren't to be taken as too literal IMO. There is also combat speed to be taken into accord.

Natsu cannot react to Suzaku, which he why he has to rely on predicting the attacks. Wendy reacted to Haku. MAYBE an argument can be made that Haku let it happen, but kinda dubious.

Last edited:

Lucy>Wendy&Elfman

Reaction score
Country
France
Suzaku: Blitzed and one shot Natsu and Erza. Even current Natsu admits he's one shot material for Suzaku, if not for his scales which pretty much gives him his DF durability. Still gets constantly downplayed
I'd say that Dragon Eaters are downplayed hard, especially comparing to Spriggans.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I agree with Jellal too. Idk why it is said that Jellal has poor durability when he no sell Kyria's roar that one-shotted Lucy/Wendy and left Erza with cuts. And Erza has insane dura. He was also crushed by Acno's claws on his dragon form.

Shoutmon

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Future Rouge is light speed too, because he can literally turn himself into light. Natsu got blitzed once, then he started reacting.
I think some of these aren't to be taken as too literal IMO. There is also combat speed to be taken into accord.
Eh, the light from Sting's magic's pretty weird. The fact that it's officially known as white dragon slayer magic, can be replenished by eating anything that has a white colour (instead of just light), can bend/curve and has never been portrayed as ridiculously fast kinda points to it being a different type of "light" compared to the real thing.

There's also GMG Natsu being able to react to Sting's White Dragon's Roar (making him ftl), which means that Future Rogue tagging him would make the latter even more faster than light. If we go down this route, that would mean that everyone who reacted to Natsu from then on would be progressively more ftl ('cause Natsu keeps improving), while the current arc BDSK speedster would only be pre-timeskip levels of fast.

Last edited:

Lucy>Wendy&Elfman

Reaction score
Country
France
Gray, Lucy and Jellal are the most underrated characters apparently. Kinda obvious.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
what is the definition of underrated? underrated in terms of what? gray, lucy, and jellal i dont think they are underrated. they are popular. in the recent popularity ranking they are up, higher than laxus and mirajane.....

Lucy>Wendy&Elfman

Reaction score
Country
France
what is the definition of underrated? underrated in terms of what? gray, lucy, and jellal i dont think they are underrated. they are popular. in the recent popularity ranking they are up, higher than laxus and mirajane.....
Underrated in terms of both power ranking and popularity.

Darklord#10

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Elfman is probably sitting comfortably at base Gray tier.

Elfman is probably sitting comfortably at base Gray tier.
🗿😘
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Sucks but everything you said is 100% true
How is it true? Kagura is deadass fodder. She was getting toyed with by larcade. Kagura is not underrated, people place her to high. Wasn't it the same kagura that was getting toyed with by dimaria, she's fodder. Just like how her bro was fodder 🙂
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Elfman is severely underated even by Hiro himself cuz Hiro can't stop wanking Mira, well that's power wise. Character or plot wise I'd say Eileen, she's the freaking creator of dragon slayer magic and she didn't even have any impact on the other dragon slayers apart from Wendy. Eileen has lots of knowledge. Like why do dragon slayers get stronger the higher the dragon count kill, how can slayers eat other elements that's not there's, slayers can legit eat magic when push comes to shove, she could have explained why dragon slayer magic is the way it is but Hiro choose popularity polls and now we have clown dragon milf who got no diff'd by her supposed peer and also natsu, natsu is much more stupid than Early fairy tail ffs this guy is a mage how the fuck does he not know what a library is

Karna

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Gray — I get what Hiro's doing with him and Natsu as rivals, brain & brawn dynamic, he's either weak or inconsistent as Base Natsu, in fact if written properly, he could have been on par with Base Natsu but not so weak in terms of firepower/damage.

Cursed Gray also could have been the mode, Gray needed to contrast with DFK Natsu.