Question - Cross Marian's Age? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Cross Marian's Age?

unknownymous

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'm sure this subject is very off topic but I'm curious so I’ll ask. How old do you think is Cross Marian?

Most data about him is unknown even in official fanbooks and I cant help but wonder about him. I mean, Tiedoll's 40, Klaud 32, Socalo 39, and Komui 29. (I got this from dgray-divinity)

The 14th, I'm guessing, died or betrayed the earl "35 years ago" according to road who said she was the only one who wasn't reborn in said number of year.

If Cross was somewhere in the 30-40 age group and he met the 14th somewhere before or within the 35 years, how old was he when they met? I'm too sleepy at the moment to do the math since its 3:45 in the morning from where I am, but it's either they met when they where really young, or Cross is just older than he looks.

He can do magic and all that, so i guess it's not entirely impossible.

Please tell me if their is already an existing thread about this. It just hit me, so I didn't bother searching for threads cause I didn't want to forget what I wanted to say.

Sorry bout that.

[mod=riki]Making this into a new thread. :)[/mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

ying_su

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I had a silly theory:

Cross (and others, like the 14th?) could be actually a tribe of immortal magicians whose story extends in the past over millenniums: wise men (and women) that knew in the far past about the Earl intentions and decided to stop him.

Theories apart: If we dont know about Cross age that means it will be a important corner on a future arc (as the kanda birthplace tourned to be).

Ofc, Cross isnt dead! :)

Last edited:

Jaymie

Reaction score
Country
Canada
He's immortal, IMO.

F2C

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
I had a silly theory:

Cross (and others, like the 14th?) could be actually a tribe of immortal magicians whose story extends in the past over millenniums: wise men (and women) that knew in the far past about the Earl intentions and decided to stop him.

Theories apart: If we dont know about Cross age that means it will be a important corner on a future arc (as the kanda birthplace tourned to be).

Ofc, Cross isnt dead! :)
I think that theory isn't silly.

If you noticed, his magic uses the same spells as the skulls (with different results though), during his infiltration to find the egg he had the same appearance.
He was recognised by a skull he smashed back in the Arch arc (as an exorcist or as a member of the said tribe ?).

So what if as Bookmen who remain neutral but still chose to fight alongside the Order, Cross belonged to the tribe comprising the skulls and some others magicians who chose to serve the count ?
Considering that, he should be fighting along the Count but he -alone or with the 14th's help- rebelled against his kind and chose to fight for the Black Order.
That could explain also his kind of a special relationship with the count (see their exchanges when they meet in the Arch) and why he took Allen as a pupil.

Of course, it's still a theory, but I think Cross does not age anymore (if he ever was human).

P.S. : of course Cross is not dead !!

NAM61

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
he is probably immortal

MSofAofCOCA

Reaction score
Country
United States
at one point in time, i thought that cross might've been a modified akuma himself, but i've ditched that theory.....lol
uh, he's obviously at least 35, unless there's some time paradox involving 14th death.....
i'd say he's about 45, leaning towards 50. but that creeps me out if he's still such a womanizer....
...but that means he met 14th when he was allen's age ish?

ooooh, plot twist! xD

unknownymous

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I think that theory isn't silly.

If you noticed, his magic uses the same spells as the skulls (with different results though), during his infiltration to find the egg he had the same appearance.
He was recognised by a skull he smashed back in the Arch arc (as an exorcist or as a member of the said tribe ?).

So what if as Bookmen who remain neutral but still chose to fight alongside the Order, Cross belonged to the tribe comprising the skulls and some others magicians who chose to serve the count ?
Considering that, he should be fighting along the Count but he -alone or with the 14th's help- rebelled against his kind and chose to fight for the Black Order.
That could explain also his kind of a special relationship with the count (see their exchanges when they meet in the Arch) and why he took Allen as a pupil.

Of course, it's still a theory, but I think Cross does not age anymore (if he ever was human).

P.S. : of course Cross is not dead !!
I agree with you on the not aging part and everyone saying that he might be immortal and what not.

I cant exactly draw a timetable, but if the 14th and Cross did meet more than within that 35 years, Cross would be so much older even when he is supposed to be the same age as the other generals(minus Yeegar of course).

For the skull thing, I think it was just his mask.

Jeez Cross for being such an enigma and having so many hidden things under his sleeves.

Just like some previous post, this will probably turn out to be quite an arc.

candy

Reaction score
Country
United States
long live cross!!!cross himself is an enigma.

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
Reaction score
Country
Canada
You can't use the fact that the 14th attacked the Noah over 35 years ago as evidence of anything regarding Cross's age, because we have no evidence that Cross knew the 14th back then. He just had to have known the 14th before he died, which was definitely not more than 15 years ago (due to Allen's age). And we don't know how old Cross was then, so he could be no more than, say, thirty, if he was a teenager then... It's pretty unlikely, he's probably older than that, but the only way for him to have known the 14th thirty-five years ago is for him to not age normally, because no way is he physically fifty.

...Personally, I like the theory about Cross being a Skull, which would explain any problem with his apparent age. (It wouldn't make him immortal, though. Their lifespan is about 200 years, according to that one page in volume... 15? So he could be much older than he appears.)

georisell

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think he was around in the 35 year span..thing. Back in the chapter where the Earl was dragging Tyki and Skin into the arc, they made it a point to show that the only one that noticed the extra smell of smoke was Road. She was the only one that has been around for those 35 years. Maybe that could have been a foreshadowing of sorts?(besides the fact that it foreshadowed Cross on the arc)

I think that it would make sense on saying of Cross were a bookman. There's no way that only Bookman and Lavi are the only ones, since they recording everything in the world would be pretty difficult. Bookmen travel around, learn different things, learn about the different cultures, and Cross is like the great big book of everything. He knows the different sides, he (presumably) knows the 14th, he knows spells. Maybe Cross was just a bit more thorough than even bookman. Maybe he's recorded the other side of the war as well?

Then there's the other point of view that I came up while typing this, that maybe Cross learned spells in his time as a scientist for the order, there making it hard again to prove how old he is. Magicians and alchemists were considered scientists in that era according to hoshino in a pic) and so the scientists could all know their fair amount of spells right? So his age could be around the same as Komui and Reever.

Oh Cross you're such a puzzle

ying_su

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Or either he's inmortal (according to my theory) or he was a young boy as Allen now in the times of the 14th...
I mean, master 14th bulling his pupil Cross. xDDD
Hahahaha~ Too much fun... xD

candy

Reaction score
Country
United States
if the 14th was cross's master maybe now allen will make him pay his debts!

ying_su

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Ahh, i really want to see it XDDDDDDD

Aracely

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
There is one thing which contradicts the idea that Cross is immortal and/or has completely stopped ageing.

In Noche, there's a sketchy picture of several of the the Black Order characters when they were younger. At a rough guess, I'd say it's set 7-9 years before the present canon. Cross is there too, and although his face isn't fully visible, personally I think he looks several years younger than he did at the last canon point we saw him at. We do know that he used to be a scientist, so maybe he was working as a scientist at the Black Order before he became an Exorcist.

If Cross has been ageing at a normal rate, I don't believe that he could have met the 14th if the 14th died a full 35 years ago. He would have been too young. So thinking that way, it's much more likely that the 14th was on the run for several years before he was killed.

On the other hand, I think it's highly likely that Cross is a Skull. If the info above about Skulls living to maybe 200 is true, then presumably they would still age to some extent, and that would explain why Cross seems to have aged a little since the time setting of the Noche sketch. And that way we still don't know if Cross knew the 14th 35 years ago or if he met the 14th later on.

Anyway, there's just no way that Cross is the age he looks. In Gray Ark, his age isn't given. There has to be a reason for that. Road's age wasn't given in Gray Ark either, and look how old she's turned out to be!

ying_su

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
If you dont mind, would you give us a link? :)

Aracely

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
A link to the Noche picture? Okay. I've had to crop it to only show some of the picture, since my internet connection is slow right now and the full image is so large, but I've got all of the bit with Cross in included. It's definitely him, because he's holding Timcanpy and is smoking.

ying_su

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Hahahaha~
Well i dont know, he seems like a young 14th (too much like Allen)...

Aracely

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
Cross reminds me of Allen in that picture too. Like Master like student? Could be!

Dlanor_A.Knox

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hahaha xD look at Cross his grin xD

I think he's arround.. dunno...45?
wow if he certainly looks good if he is this old xD

Lavigirl_ruki

Reaction score
Country