Theory - battle vs the top ten high schoolers match order/outcome prediction | Page 7 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I usually consider super speed, strength, and crazy trajectory to be normal in sports manga. Something like Atobe Kingdom is what sets POT apart in terms of supernatural powers compared to other manga. I don't think I've ever seen another manga where people have x-ray vision while playing sports.
But anything that is Super just isn't standard sports.

Whistle, Captain Tsubasa series, Eyeshield21, Slam Dunk all examples of Sports series without the Supernatural craziness.

FrostyMouse

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

Whistle, Captain Tsubasa series, Eyeshield21, Slam Dunk all examples of Sports series without the Supernatural craziness.
Airgrimes, you don't think Taka virtually flying, Yamato's Ceasar's Charge, the son of the American President's incredible strength, the God speed Impulse, or Sena being faster than the fastest player in the NFL at the 40 yard dash aren't super powers? Sure, for the most part, ES21 didn't rely on supernatural stuff, but towards the end, some things did get a bit over the top.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Capt Tsubasa? Aigrames, Tsubasa made bycicle kicks as if they were a simple shot, and everyone good enough was able to score from the midfield.

And the most important thing: Japan reaching the World Finals, beating Maradona's team :x3

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
But Bicycle kicks are standard shots at the least.

Although you're right Frosty, I don't know what I was thinking mentioning Eyeshield in there. Such an amazing manga that was.
I don't even like American Football.

Well there is still Whistle! and Slam Dunk which are big titles especially Slam Dunk that were normal but awesome.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Capt Tsubasa? Aigrames, Tsubasa made bycicle kicks as if they were a simple shot, and everyone good enough was able to score from the midfield.

And the most important thing: Japan reaching the World Finals, beating Maradona's team :x3
Lol that made me laugh.
Argentina > Japan in football each and every day haha.

FrostyMouse

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
But Bicycle kicks are standard shots at the least.

Although you're right Frosty, I don't know what I was thinking mentioning Eyeshield in there. Such an amazing manga that was.
I don't even like American Football.

Well there is still Whistle! and Slam Dunk which are big titles especially Slam Dunk that were normal but awesome.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Lol that made me laugh.
Argentina > Japan in football each and every day haha.
Japan actually beat France 1-0 in France this year somehow, but a lot of teams don't take friendlies that seriously all of the time.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
France has been sucking since 2008.

Back to topic, don't you agree that Duke will lose his place in the 1st string somehow?

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
France has been sucking since 2008.

Back to topic, don't you agree that Duke will lose his place in the 1st string somehow?
I originally believed there would be an All-MS Top 20.
So yeah, I think Duke along with the rest of them will be defeated and removed at some point.

however seeing as Duke will definetely defeat Kenya, he may make it back onto the 1st String.

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tsubasa basically has Muga permanently since he can use almost any move he sees just once. The move where they launch someone midair (the two twins) would just break your leg if it was real, even if someone is that strong to do it (to be fair, it eventually did happen, but it should've happened the first time they do it).

Slam Dunk would be roughly equivalent of say all the legendary NBA players happened to go to the same 4 high schools that played each other. Improbable but is definitely possible.

That said even the pretty crazy stuff don't feature a character with x-ray vision. There's a bunch of sites that makes fun of how crazy/stupid sports manga are and when they get to NPOT, they just show a picture of Atobe Kingdom and that pretty much explains itself. It's far beyond your generic super strength/speed/technique in sports manga.

Back to the topic, I think Duke will keep his spot, but when they start playing someone from another nation he'll get match up against that nation's power player and get blown away and a random MS power player will replace him.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Back to the topic, I think Duke will keep his spot, but when they start playing someone from another nation he'll get match up against that nation's power player and get blown away and a random MS power player will replace him.
I honestly don't see him staying as a representative to the extent he leaves and plays another nation.
Since they just came back from an Overseas Expedition, they must be at the Camp to stay for a while before the next tournament.

Really want a Court Shuffle in the meantime so we can see some weaker guys. I never loved PoT coz of all the strong characters.
I love Part I because it showed weaker players with really fascinating, unusual or notable playing styles.
(Kamio, Kai, Kikumaru, Chinen, Hiyoshi, Amane etc.)

I don't see Duke or Tohno representing the nation again. Ohmagari I won't rule out.
Since Ohmagari has had more significance than former Rikkai man Mouri so far.

Mouri who should have had history with Yuki, Sanada, Niou and all the other Rikkai regulars has yet to be seen talking with them off the court.

My point is, if somebody like Mouri who should have so much relevance the MSers has been fodderized so easily I don't see a lot of these HSers having relevance in the storyline for long.
I can only see Byoudouin, Tanegashima, Ryoga, Tokugawa, Oni and Irie sticking around.

Brandnewkid

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Whistle was a pretty normal sports manga. Slam Dunk was an excellent manga overall, and the most "superpowers" you'd ever see was that a lot of the characters were hoodlums who could fight really well. But hey, it was the 90's, delinquent characters were all the rage back then (there's a reason why Yu Yu Hakusho, Slam Dunk, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure's main characters got so much love).

Eyeshield 21 has crazy shit you can't do in real life, and so does Captain Tsubasa. Captain Tsubasa actually has a character on a Brazil team, Natureza, who can do a triple jump in mid-air, or something. And yeah, I remember the third game with Nankatsu vs. Meiwa in Captain Tsubasa J, and one of the most memorable scenes were the back-to-back-to-back bicycle kicks done by Hyuga, Misaki (??? Idk, his name was 'Carlos' in the version I watched) and Tsubasa.

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Duke will keep his spot but get knocked out in an exhibition match and then his replacement would magically happen to be in whatever country they were playing in to replace him.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Eyeshield 21 has crazy shit you can't do in real life, and so does Captain Tsubasa. Captain Tsubasa actually has a character on a Brazil team, Natureza, who can do a triple jump in mid-air, or something. And yeah, I remember the third game with Nankatsu vs. Meiwa in Captain Tsubasa J, and one of the most memorable scenes were the back-to-back-to-back bicycle kicks done by Hyuga, Misaki (??? Idk, his name was 'Carlos' in the version I watched) and Tsubasa.
I think Captain Tsubasa got to a point where a double/triple/infinite jump in air isn't even anything worth noting about. It's like everyone can just arbitarily jump as many time as they want in air and change direction in midair if needed too.

I'm surprised there isn't a Captain Tsubasa special when Japan beat Spain 1-0 in the Olympics.

What I don't get is why doesn't the other team just break Tsubasa's legs. Seriously, they tried a lot of dirty stuff to stop him so why not just go all the way like Shaolin Soccer? According to Captain Tsubasa logic you'd probably only get a yellow card for breaking someone's leg as long as you broke it early enough in the match.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I think Captain Tsubasa got to a point where a double/triple/infinite jump in air isn't even anything worth noting about. It's like everyone can just arbitarily jump as many time as they want in air and change direction in midair if needed too.
THIS. THIS eventually got to me when watching the series.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

I think Duke will keep his spot but get knocked out in an exhibition match and then his replacement would magically happen to be in whatever country they were playing in to replace him.
But why?
He has had no off-court real conversation with an MSer. His value to the storyline is almost zero if you see what I'm getting at.
Since he seems to be just power at the moment, there should be a number of MSers who can beat him.
Since Power is never everything.
In fact, there are likely more than just 2 HSers better Duke.

He's going to go. Konomi has been poor with character development when it comes to HSers, which can be excused since the vast majority of them have been fodderized.
So I see Duke getting fodderized.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Duke is higher position than Oni, though. Duke will get fodderized when Oni is. I reckons the top 5 wil stay in the story, as well as Tokugawa and Irie. Those guys will most likely stays as a part of top 20 U-17 players for a long while to come.

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
But why?
He has had no off-court real conversation with an MSer. His value to the storyline is almost zero if you see what I'm getting at.
Since he seems to be just power at the moment, there should be a number of MSers who can beat him.
Since Power is never everything.
In fact, there are likely more than just 2 HSers better Duke.

He's going to go. Konomi has been poor with character development when it comes to HSers, which can be excused since the vast majority of them have been fodderized.
So I see Duke getting fodderized.
I'm assuming at some point they'll play another nation and their power player will totally own the Japanese power player. Duke, due to his relative lack of importance, serves well as the fodder role since no one will miss him. I can see Duke got knocked out by a Grand Slam and the coach will be like: "Don't worry I got Gin/Kawamura/whatever here just in case something like that happens, even though he's not even on the team roster!"

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I can see Duke got knocked out by a Grand Slam and the coach will be like: "Don't worry I got Gin/Kawamura/whatever here just in case something like that happens, even though he's not even on the team roster!"
The highest Power-Play technique is 108th Hadoukyuu.
Duke shat on it. He ate it, then spat it out into a pit of dead fish.
I could go on.
If When Duke get's replaced, I think it would be before an international. Since they just came from one.
I doubt this G10 Challenge is the last one.

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
The highest Power-Play technique is 108th Hadoukyuu.
Duke shat on it. He ate it, then spat it out into a pit of dead fish.
I could go on.
If When Duke get's replaced, I think it would be before an international. Since they just came from one.
I doubt this G10 Challenge is the last one.
I'd imagine it'll be something like the Japanese team ran into the (some other nation) team at a random location prior to their official match, so of course they start playing tennis and Duke would get knocked out, and the coach will have a backup power player who for no reason whatsoever has improved to the point of being better than Duke. In fact, I can see a lot of unpopular characters on the entire team just disappearing in one of these scrimmage matches to be replaced by the more popular ones. It's not like not being on the team roster has ever stopped people from participating in tennis.

Kintaro has always had higher power output than Hado 108. That said I see no reason why it couldn't be like 'Gin now has learned Hado 360' if deemed necessary.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Kintaro has always had higher power output than Hado 108. That said I see no reason why it couldn't be like 'Gin now has learned Hado 360' if deemed necessary.
Kintaro is a Top tier MSer.
Gin isn't.
If Gin get's 360, Taka who has a better improvement rate than him, since they now both have the 108 degrees as their limit, would have like... 400 degrees.

Kintaro doesnt use Power Play techniques Phantron. Super Megaton... ... ... isn't Power Play. It's a smash for starters.
So Kintaro is different.

And here what you are suggesting. Kintaro, Taka or Gin as the Nation's No.3??? Not happening haha.

FuRinKaZan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Chile
Maybe konomi are reserving the spot for Tezuka? what do you think?

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe konomi are reserving the spot for Tezuka? what do you think?
That'd only be possible if TnK turns out to be nothing special at the world level, which is entirely possible. Otherwise you just wouldn't have any meaningful games with TnK guys.