Theory - battle vs the top ten high schoolers match order/outcome prediction | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

LetalHawk

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Mouri's Rising ability is a higher level ability than anything we've seen out of the 11-20, except for perhaps Bakyuun. None of the 11-20 would be able to return ZSS.
But he still has to show a technique, much like Ochi has mindgame and Mach, Mouri needs to have some technique, otherwise, I don't understand how he's No.10

ashore

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
i'm not knowledgeable to make the match list but I do have some opinions on who will play.

for sure I disagree that ryoma will be number 1 rank.
the reason is rank 1 is usually the leader ship position, and i frankly don't see ryoma as a leader type like tezuka.

I do agree that Byoudouin vs tokugawa will take place. (i'm undecided who will win)
-if tokugawa wins he gets redemption/ revenge
-if tokugawa loses , ryoma will look at byou as a goal to surpass.

as far as ryoma vs ryoga, i dont think it will take place. ryoga just appeared and we dont know much about him,
-if that match takes place ryoga disappears (by losing) , then brothers cant get to know each other :(
-ryoga will probably play someone and own them, so that the manga readers and his brother can view how good he is.
-ryoga might even play Byoudouin after tokugawa challenges Byoudouin

the rest of the players is a toss up. I"m still waiting on the next match. IMO atobe needed niou to play doubles.(as shown atobe sought niou the night before). Niou is already 1st string (being ranked 1-20).
So if Niou loses he retains 1st string unless he gets challenged..

FrostyMouse

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
i'm not knowledgeable to make the match list but I do have some opinions on who will play.

for sure I disagree that ryoma will be number 1 rank.
the reason is rank 1 is usually the leader ship position, and i frankly don't see ryoma as a leader type like tezuka.
Not necessarily. The Captain of a team doesn't always play S1, such as with Shiraishi. Tachibana and Tezuka don't always play S1. For the U-17, the No. 1 ranking probably means more, as he's supposed to be the strongest player of the team, but that doesn't mean he's the Captain.

I do agree that Byoudouin vs tokugawa will take place. (i'm undecided who will win)
-if tokugawa wins he gets redemption/ revenge
-if tokugawa loses , ryoma will look at byou as a goal to surpass.

as far as ryoma vs ryoga, i dont think it will take place. ryoga just appeared and we dont know much about him,
-if that match takes place ryoga disappears (by losing) , then brothers cant get to know each other :(
-ryoga will probably play someone and own them, so that the manga readers and his brother can view how good he is.
-ryoga might even play Byoudouin after tokugawa challenges Byoudouin

the rest of the players is a toss up. I"m still waiting on the next match. IMO atobe needed niou to play doubles.(as shown atobe sought niou the night before). Niou is already 1st string (being ranked 1-20).
So if Niou loses he retains 1st string unless he gets challenged..
Niou gave up his badge, probably to Eiji so that we can have GP back. It's speculation on my part that he gave his badge to Eiji, but as you can see here, Niou doesn't have a U-17 badge on his collar: http://mangafox.me/manga/new_prince_of_tennis/v08/c071/3.html

ashore

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not necessarily. The Captain of a team doesn't always play S1, such as with Shiraishi. Tachibana and Tezuka don't always play S1. For the U-17, the No. 1 ranking probably means more, as he's supposed to be the strongest player of the team, but that doesn't mean he's the Captain.[/URL]
I meant ryoma not becoming rank 1, not playing single ones. You are right, rank 1 doesn't always mean playing singles one. BUt I see byoudin as the strongest player on the team denoted by rank 1, and he is the leader. He gives orders to U-17 11-20 to have fun and come back to court 16. He can talk to the coaches and make this shuffle match with the 2nd string to include jr highs. One of the other ranking players see's him as the boss. Irie even expects no1 rank to shut those kids up. While ryoma can give orders I don't think that's his leadership style or that he's leadership material. He can possess rank1 sure, he has the skills, but I dont think he will get it imo.

Niou gave up his badge, probably to Eiji so that we can have GP back. It's speculation on my part that he gave his badge to Eiji, but as you can see here, Niou doesn't have a U-17 badge on his collar: http://mangafox.me/manga/new_prince_of_tennis/v08/c071/3.html
interesting theory. In general, the ranking badges go on the U-17 jersey collar, not the t-shirt. So we dont see Niou/Atobe wear their jersey at all.(just their tshirts, so we can't say for sure if anyone gave away their badges)

I'd like to point out a possible error by konomi. In chapter 70 all the Jrs are wearing their U-17 jerseys, and atobe-niou wears their U-17 t-shirts. But when ch 71 appears, all jrs are wearing their Jr high school jerseys!
I thought this was to promote the former hyotei/rikkai pair vs current, but it seems all jrs magically changed their clothes .

Last edited:

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
Remaining G10 matchups

Not sure if there was a thread on that or discussed earlier, but I think with D2 being revealed it's actually quite possible to predict the remaining matchup.

Based on screen time it seems Ryoma, Sanada, Tokugawa, and Akutsu are guaranteed to show up. That leaves exactly one person open, and I believe it has to be Fuji simply because Fuji hasn't gotten any screen time yet.

Now the next question is who plays in what. I'm assuming there's one more doubles match and 3 singles match. These two seem pretty fixed:

Byodouin vs Tokugawa
Ryoga vs Ryoma

Fuji almost never matches up 1on1 with any power type looking guys (all his single opponent tend to be tech type looking guys like him). Out of the remaining 3, that means Fuji can only be matched against Shuuji, but there's history between Shuuji and Sanada. So, I'm guessing the final two matches would be:

Shuuji + Oni vs Fuji + Sanada
G6 vs Akutsu

or

Shuuji + G6 vs Fuji + Sanada
Oni vs Akutsu

I'm going with the first choice because there is a tendency to match people by their plot relevance. Sanada and Fuji are both story significant characters on the MSer side. G6 looks like a random guy who wore his tag the wrong side, so he gets Akutsu who is less important to the story of POT.

Of course you can't out things like Byodouin vs Tokugawa and then Ryoma replaces him halfway, but if you get into that there are too many possibilities.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Byoudouin vs Tokugawa (Kazuya will probably lose, and someone will play after him)
Tanegashima
Duke
Ryoga
Oni / Ryuuji

There are so many characters that might play here...

Let's start with the doubles: Oni is probably going to play doubles (if the 4 singles and 3 doubles goes on) and I don't see Akutsu pairing with anyone. WoK or Kirihara/Shiaishi might take that place (or even Fuji + someone else).

Against Ryoga...I really don't know. I see him playing against Byoudouin or Ryoma, no one else.

Duke. This is the hardest one. We haven't seen any Power vs non-power matches. Kintarou is the only one I can imagine here (but I don't like the idea of him as the 3rd best character) or Yukimura (just because he's a beast).

Then we have Tanegashima, who will probably play against Sanada (although the only interaction they had is Shuuji stealing water from him and Kaido
:coolstory Konomi

It would be great if someone posted here nowadays' 1st string. Kikumaru is probably taking Niou's place... but there are still a lot of great players that don't have a place in this 1st string (Akutsu, Ryoma, Sanada, Fuji, Kirihara, Shiraishi, Kikumaru, Kaidoh, Inui, Tachibana, Chitose and the mighty forgotten bros
Oshitari (the good one), Sengoku, Jirou, Kamio, etc...

Last edited:

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can also see Fuji vs Ryoga if you have a tag team match against Byodouin since that takes care of Ryoma and Tokugawa who clearly have to show up in the final 4 games.

Duke already played Gin.

Again I don't see how the remaining 4 matches won't have Akutsu, Sanada, Ryoma, and Tokugawa in it, so there's only one other possible person that can be in it. I mean sure the story can always throw a curveball like having 10 guys play against Byodouin at the same time but that'd be impossible to try to second guess. Assuming that the next 4 games are intended to be played by 5 people (3Xsingle + 1Xdouble) Fuji obviously has priority over everyone else in terms of screen time just due to the fact he hasn't played a game yet.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Duke already played Gin.
Yeah, but I thought he might play another time.

Fuji obviously has priority over everyone else in terms of screen time just due to the fact he hasn't played a game yet.
If that's the case, then Zaizen will play against Byodouin lol.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Duke played his match. Otherwise. someone should challenge Atobe/Niou to another match. Duke really shouldn't play another match until the next G10 set or something.

Also, random, but Fuji+Akutsu. No reason. It's just that people's been screaming for Fuji match for a while now. And there's not that much spot open anymore.

Last edited:

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Imagine something like this happened:

Tokugawa challenges Byodouin.

Byodouin : "You again? I'm not inresested... Duke, take care of him"

Duke: "yes boss".

Or something like that

It's not too crazy, I see that more probable that Duke staying as the number 3, surrounded by Ms.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
In that case, Byodouin, Shuuji, and Duke should at number 11-19 and be like... Hey! One of you. Let's have a match!

There's no freakin reason they shouldn't be on the final team if they are that powerful.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
In that case, Byodouin, Shuuji, and Duke should at number 11-19 and be like... Hey! One of you. Let's have a match!

There's no freakin reason they shouldn't be on the final team if they are that powerful.
Well, 11-19 can still say "no" you know.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Well, 11-19 can still say "no" you know.
And on what ground should the current one be accepting the challenge? They play to keep their spot. 11-19(20) should not get free pass. It's a night. Everyone should recover from their fatigue yesterday by now.

Best player should be on the team. Unless they had some reason of not wanting to be, like Shuuji, Oni, Irie, Tokugawa.

The current 1-10 clearly want their spot in 1st stringer. Otherwise, they won't be fighting like this. If they can't get their old spot, who care. They can still get spot in the lower position.

Rejecting a challenge direct toward you when you're at full energy in this case just means you have no business being 1st stringer. It's one thing to reject challenge because you think you too good for enemy. Say, if Shuuji reject Tachibana challenge, that's acceptable for me. But rejecting because you'll lose if you play? That player will just be a joke.

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm sure there's going to be some reshuffling around (e.g. Kabaji left the camp, so someone has to replace his spot) after the match is done but now I'm assuming we really only going to have 5 more players playing against the 1st stringers. Sure in POT you can't rule out stuff like Byodouin just saying: "I'll take you all on" and start playing against 10 people at once but if you go there you'd never be able to predict anything.

I pick Fuji because he's both relevent and he has a huge time between last relevent game (which would be never in NPOT). Sure Kai hasn't got a relevent game either but it's not like anyone was expecting to see him unleash the power of Viking Horn on the G10s.

If Fuji doesn't get a game then it'd have to be like Shuuji wins his match and then gives the spot to Fuji because he afraid of going on airplanes. You know Fuji has to show up at some point.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Sure Kai hasn't got a relevent game either but it's not like anyone was expecting to see him unleash the power of Viking Horn on the G10s.
LMAO

If Fuji doesn't get a game then it'd have to be like Shuuji wins his match and then gives the spot to Fuji because he afraid of going on airplanes. You know Fuji has to show up at some point.
Yeah, Fuji will be surely in the 1st string, I don´t know how but he will be there (BTW, i think that Tanegashima´s problem with planes is bullshit lol)

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
Even if Fuji never played a game I see 3 ways for him to get in:

1. Shuuji give up his spot due to fear of airplane, and that Fuji's name has the word '2' (Ji) just like his name so he is clearly the ideal candidate for #2.
2. Ryoga lied about his Japanese citizenship and got deported, so he gave his spot to Fuji.
3. Niou become the first POT character to actually suffer a career ending injury from his earlier game and got replaced by Fuji.

Last edited:

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It would be great if someone posted here nowadays' 1st string.
No. 1 Byoudouin Houou
No. 2 Tanegashima Shuuji
No. 3 Duke Watanabe
No. 4 Echizen Ryoga
No. 5 Oni Juujirou
No. 6 Ohmagari Ryuuji
No. 7 Kimijima Ikuto
No. 8 Tohno Atsukyou
No. 9 Atobe Keigo
No. 10 Niou Masaharu (?)
No. 11 Yukimura Seiichi
No. 12 Kawamura Takashi
No. 13 -
No. 14 Tooyama Kintarou
No. 15 -
No. 16 Oishi Shuuichirou
No. 17 Yanagi Renji (?)
No. 18 Oshitari Kenya
No. 19 Momoshiro Takeshi
No. 20 Irie Kanata

Something worth noting here is that none of the 11-20 players (except Kenya and Momoshiro in one panel) wear their badges in the volume, so it might be that they get reshuffled in some way after all this is over. I'm not really expecting it, but it might happen.

Also not convinced that Niou will keep a spot.

As for the remaining matches, I still expect Irie to replace Ohmagari as No. 6, and they'd play against Akutsu/someone. If you want to read a lot into Ch 67, that someone would be Sengoku, if you're looking at the end of Ch 65 it could be Shiraishi or Tachibana. Fuji is an option as well of course.

It's probably going to be Tanegashima vs Sanada for No. 2, and I'd say Byoudouin, Ryoga, Kazuya, Ryoma in some combination for the last two matches. Still kinda hoping that more HSers stay, but not expecting it.

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got the feeling G11-20 are just cannon fodders to take a bullet or a ball for the team when the enemy team has someone ambushing you with a tennis ball like Byodouin did while Tokugawa and Ryoma were practicing. Certainly it doesn't look like anyone in the G10 actually cared about what happened to those guys, so I can see after it's all done they just throw the popular characters in G11-20.

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

I think Niou is probably going to disappear for a while because his character is just broken. He even inherits the physical property of whoever he copied (e.g. he's physically stronger while copying Kabaji compared to Tezuka). Of course the question is always why doesn't he copy Yukimura over Tezuka, or better yet shouldn't he have seen Tokugawa play some by now? Now that he's in the G10, what's stopping him from copying Byodouin?

Actually I think Niou could've won their doubles rather easily be copying Irie. Irie has much better base stats than Atobe. The way his character is setup he's absolutely immune to stuff like Mind Assassin. They'd even have two World of Ice techs to use at the same time.

Last edited:

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I got the feeling G11-20 are just cannon fodders to take a bullet or a ball for the team when the enemy team has someone ambushing you with a tennis ball like Byodouin did while Tokugawa and Ryoma were practicing. Certainly it doesn't look like anyone in the G10 actually cared about what happened to those guys, so I can see after it's all done they just throw the popular characters in G11-20.
This had been made clear as day months ago.
They were fodderized in the arc they were introduced.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Actually I think Niou could've won their doubles rather easily be copying Irie. Irie has much better base stats than Atobe. The way his character is setup he's absolutely immune to stuff like Mind Assassin. They'd even have two World of Ice techs to use at the same time.
Had the same thought.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
We went over this. Niou doesn't copy base stats, everything he does is limited to what he can actually do; his Illusion is solely an optical change. It's more likely that when he copies someone with attributes lower than his own, he downgrades his stats to match that person's (e.g. he actually has more power than Tezuka, but when copying Tezuka he doesn't use all of it).

Irie's speed, technique and mental are probably all higher than Niou's. Furthermore Niou can't copy abilities that rely on innate abilities, such as Jirou's flexible wrists, Yukimura's Yips or Irie's ability to understand his opponent completely.

That being said, Niou is still pretty broken thanks to his ability to synchro with anyone.