Discussion - Would you like the idea of Manga Filler Chapters during hiatuses? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Would you like the idea of Manga Filler Chapters during hiatuses?

mrsticky005

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The idea would be that while the original manga artist is taking a break you could have amateur manga artists writing and drawing their own non-canon one shot stories.
I suppose this would be like doujinshi and fan fiction but just more official. Hell it could even be a thing where people submit their own stories and the best get published.

Though I'm not sure if that would lead to some massive legal clusterphinks? Probably.

Aeneas

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Though I'm not sure if that would lead to some massive legal clusterphinks? Probably.
Yeah, that’s the thing. Even on the main series, it’s what many don’t consider when they say he should let someone else handle the art. Since his name alone is in the rights title, it’s unclear how possible it is.

But maybe there’s a loophole or it’s not the case at all.

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It would be amazing, but god knows that Togashi is awful with collaboration XD

Demonspeed

Runaway Kotarou
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I think I would probably be fine with anything new about HxH as long as Togashi approves of it and it's not a live action or something like that.

Reminds me of the Hisoka backstory One-Shot by Ishida. It was decent but I found certain things odd. If the stories are more focused on minor characters it would be better IMO.

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think no. Just plainly no.
That would make HxH kind of a franchise. You have approved canon sidestories just like in the comic market to fill the gaps.

But HxH is not a work like that. HxH lives off the fact that one person has a very thorough idea about how that world works and who does what. It has a very distinct writing style that has not focused on fanservice or about fulfilling all expectations.

Even if we assum the amateurs only touched things togashi would never touch again, i feel it would be bothersome if it were not a one off thing like with hisoka but a regular thing.

I mean, imagine this: Togashi returns once every 1 or 2 years for ten chapters, but in the meantime, over these two years, two 1 volume oneshots (those would be 20 chapters) popped up. LEt's assume they are good and canon and togashi approved them. That means double the noncanon content than canon content came out in that given timeframe.

That is definitely going to shape or fans view HxH and it is also influencing togashi if he has to read the volumes to approve it. Some of these volumes will be popular and change interpretation of a some characters. The danger here is that the amateur volumes are going to overtake the togashi content and impact it negatively, both by influencing and possibly demotivating togashi and by making togashi's content less relevant.

AFter all, what happens if togashi wants to move away from the martial arts content (like he does in the latest arc) but there are 2 popular one shots that are just about fighting through heaven's arena? That would surely create a conflict here, as the fanbase might want togashi to create martial arts fighting content too and crave more of that rather than following the new direction togashi wants to take.