Discussion - Why should we preserve our environment? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Why should we preserve our environment?

Crown Clown

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Sorry I tried searching but it appears that I can't find a thread on the environment so I was hoping to post one for discussion purposes. If I am wrong in someway for starting this thread I do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused due to my negligence and feel free to close this thread.

We hear alot about having to save the environment.

"Save the pandas because of their low fertility rate. "

"Pick up the trash on our Mother Earth and dispose of it properly. Every effort counts."

"We need to bring ecological balance to our world and that can only be done by saving our environment."

I'm a proponent of environmentalism and preserving our Mother Earth, but as I read comments, speeches or even write essays, I really have started having trouble to wrap my head around this one simple question. Sure we as humans should show some morals, but is that the only reason?

For example of counterarguments I was hoping to share with you guys to maybe spice up this discussion...

1. Extinction of animals, biologically speaking is a natural selection process. (aka "survival of the fittest". We are humans and should be caring about our own survival, not theirs. )

2. How does a single community of people picking up trash help that much?

3. Ecological balance? The extent to which the extinction of say, whales, wouldn't affect me that much would it?

Most of these counterarguments center around the idea that the idea of 'preservation' of our environment is not a natural thing to do. For example,by the 2nd law of thermodynamics, the world and its constituents are always going to end up in an overall state of greater entropy than before (as long as we move forward in time of course :sweatdrop ).

Feel free to counter them if you want.

What I am primarily interested in discussing with whoever's interested is what are the other solid arguments we can find when somebody on the street or an essay question asks you "Why must we preserve our environment?"

Also I feel it would be beneficial if we define what preservation entails

1. Maintaining something in a similar state to as it was in the past

or

2. Improving the state of our environment

Which sentiment predominantly crosses your mind when one says, 'environmental preservation' or 'save the environment' etc?

If anybody has examples in mind to show why we must preserve our environment I would be more than grateful as well :worship

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well, if you want to give the whole thing a more practical or utilitarian approach then the answer is simple, preserving the environment is in our best interesting regardless of morals. In itself a species disappearing is virtually of no practical consequence to us (unless its something crucial like the organisms most of the species in an ecosystem eat directly or indirectly). Quite a few could disappear and would would never know better. And it makes sense, every specie in the planet is inevitably doomed to disappear at some point for some reason. 99% of all species that have ever lived have gone extinct after all whether it was for some environmental disaster or simple evolution. The issue here is that we still kinda live in the environment so to speak. We need it to grow food and to have proper habitable locations. If ecosystems get destroyed, say the oceans, then our food supply will be affected for instance. If the weather changes enough then crops will be affected too and it will affect our ability to grow good. If the weather changes then cattle and milk production could be affected. Now, it won't necessarily spell out our doom and whatnot, I believe we can adapt to such changes, however the ideal scenario is for weather to change as slowly as possible so that all of this things remain as stable as possible. We can adapt, but for us it would be better to have more time for it. Who knows, if the weather changes enough somewhere then it could affect the infrastructure there(say, if stuff there is not meant for really high or really low temperatures or the place has not been adequate to handle floods).

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I would want to save the environment and protect it simply to give the generations after ours a healthy place to live in. If the world is polluted or there's too much trash, they would not be living healthily and could develop problems. A species disappearing can affect us, depending on its role in the ecosystem. As kick said, we need a good environment to grow food in, drink from, and live in if we want to survive and thrive. If it gets too hot, then a lot of crops may die out, resulting in shortage. If the water level rises, it can result in flooding, which would drown the crops. If out of selfishness, we should preserve the environment to ensure our survival.

I think the problem is that our actions could be causing unnatural or inorganic extinction of specie. For example, we hunt and kill tigers not to eat, but to sell for its fur and other stuff, which causes the species to be endangered and eventually, extinct. Or, the amount of carbon dioxide we release through actions like driving increases temperature that kills off certain specie that are used to certain amount of temperature and can't survive the change. So yeah.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I would argue the trash bit is not really the issue that most people think it is. Not that there isn't a trash issue, just that people get it a tad wrong. Trash is inevitable and it has to go somewhere, the issue is when that somewhere is not controlled. As in it ending accumulating in the city or in the ocean or elsewhere... At least to me it seems like people are under the impression that at some point there will be so much trash around that there will simply not be enough room in the world to put it, as in the entire world basically being a landfill. Truth is there can never be that much garbage (even if the amounts of tons produced a day sounds downright terrifying). Its an issue of how good we are at keeping it in one place, not of there being too much for the world to hold.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
There bein too much of trash is terrifying because we can do a better job of preventing it. If there's not a lot of trash, then we wouldn't have to worry as much about keeping it in one place or choosing the right place. The worry has some merit to it because with more products that are created and bought, the more trash will accumulate.

We need to focus on recycling.

Crown Clown

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Thank you so much kkck and M3J for your responses :) I really do appreciate it.

Say, how'd you attempt to tackle the belief that us over fishing, over hunting is just the natural order of things? Humans in order to survive have stocked up on surpluses of food and other necessities. Some argue that it's very difficult to distinguish between over-consumption and necessary intake.

Personally I do find this statement may hold some truth theoretically speaking, but given most cases, in today's world it holds little value: for example, factories manufacture huge volumes of livestock such as chicken or cows being reared for meat and such a method is apparently a prime example of overproduction. One does not need much further study to deduce that its an evident form of over-kill so to speak. But besides in such cases like the above do you guys have any other reasoning for why it is not natural for us to over-consume or at least, over-produce food products for ourselves?

TitaniumChloride

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Although I won't be doing a direct response to the discussion here, I think this video can contribute to it:

How Wolves Change Rivers

Last edited by a moderator:

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Thank you so much kkck and M3J for your responses :) I really do appreciate it.

Say, how'd you attempt to tackle the belief that us over fishing, over hunting is just the natural order of things? Humans in order to survive have stocked up on surpluses of food and other necessities. Some argue that it's very difficult to distinguish between over-consumption and necessary intake.

Personally I do find this statement may hold some truth theoretically speaking, but given most cases, in today's world it holds little value: for example, factories manufacture huge volumes of livestock such as chicken or cows being reared for meat and such a method is apparently a prime example of overproduction. One does not need much further study to deduce that its an evident form of over-kill so to speak. But besides in such cases like the above do you guys have any other reasoning for why it is not natural for us to over-consume or at least, over-produce food products for ourselves?
I don't think the problem comes more from us killing just in case, but overpopulation. I think the overfishing and overhunting are out of necessity in most cases. Of course, there is poaching that is never necessary, but if it weren't for overpopulation, less animals would need to be killed and we'd be fishing way less. It's somewhat of a lose-lose situation because in times like these, fishing and hunting provide a way of living (although they did even centuries ago).

Crown Clown

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
But overpopulation appears to be the natural order of things so far no?

As a population that has propagated by natural means of reproduction and given that the source of this environmental problem is us overpopulating the Earth, do you believe there are measures that may actually make use of our rapidly expanding population to mitigate the exponential increase in environmental problems?

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I don't know, I don't recall any species that heavily populated the Earth like humans. I dunno if it's really natural or not, but it does show that we're biologically successful, maybe too successful.

Problem with rapidly expanding population is that it takes away space. Unless we find a way to reduce the space we take up (like building skyscraper apartments), we probably won't have enough land to ensure that enough crops will be grown. Otherwise people can do a lot - use public transportation, carpool, do activities like planting trees and crops, and find out ways to reduce carbon footprint to reduce global warming.

Crown Clown

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Hmm... It does appear way too hard to evaluate whether overpopulation is a natural :/

What are your takes on eco-tourism? Do you believe it could help preserve the environment and would it at the same time be beneficial for nations to invest in it ?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I don't know, I don't recall any species that heavily populated the Earth like humans. I dunno if it's really natural or not, but it does show that we're biologically successful, maybe too successful.

Problem with rapidly expanding population is that it takes away space. Unless we find a way to reduce the space we take up (like building skyscraper apartments), we probably won't have enough land to ensure that enough crops will be grown. Otherwise people can do a lot - use public transportation, carpool, do activities like planting trees and crops, and find out ways to reduce carbon footprint to reduce global warming.
I don't think we have that space problem just yet. As far as overpopulation goes we have not gotten to a point where there simply is not enough room for us, earth is pretty big in that regard. Of course, if we do increase in numbers we would take up more space and require more farming lands however we are not at a point where there isn't more room for either. We are far from a sci fi scenario (say, coruscant in start wars) where the entire planet is a single huge city. From what I have read population in itself can't actually continue to grow indefinitely, at some point it is likely we will reach a balance of sorts. Even now fertility rates have been declining for many years even if the population continues to grow. At least IMO overpopulation is one of those things which are at best murky concepts. At least in what I have read so far it does not seem like overpopulation is very well defined and discussions about it usually seem to lack context to make them relevant. Sure, population continues to grow but the earth itself is quite big, big enough to easily hold us and so far, even if far from perfectly, we have been able to increase food production to the point where it actually allows us to feed the increasing population. Unless the implication here is that the population is somehow growing even though there isn't enough food or space for everyone. Unless there is some glaring flaw in my logic here (and please do point it out) I don't think that should be possible, if we didn't have space we would be crushed or thrown into the wilderness which results in death or we simply would starve because there wouldn't be more food to sustain new people.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Hmm... It does appear way too hard to evaluate whether overpopulation is a natural :/

What are your takes on eco-tourism? Do you believe it could help preserve the environment and would it at the same time be beneficial for nations to invest in it ?
I am not sure what eco-tourism is. D:

I don't think we have that space problem just yet. As far as overpopulation goes we have not gotten to a point where there simply is not enough room for us, earth is pretty big in that regard. Of course, if we do increase in numbers we would take up more space and require more farming lands however we are not at a point where there isn't more room for either. We are far from a sci fi scenario (say, coruscant in start wars) where the entire planet is a single huge city. From what I have read population in itself can't actually continue to grow indefinitely, at some point it is likely we will reach a balance of sorts. Even now fertility rates have been declining for many years even if the population continues to grow. At least IMO overpopulation is one of those things which are at best murky concepts. At least in what I have read so far it does not seem like overpopulation is very well defined and discussions about it usually seem to lack context to make them relevant. Sure, population continues to grow but the earth itself is quite big, big enough to easily hold us and so far, even if far from perfectly, we have been able to increase food production to the point where it actually allows us to feed the increasing population. Unless the implication here is that the population is somehow growing even though there isn't enough food or space for everyone. Unless there is some glaring flaw in my logic here (and please do point it out) I don't think that should be possible, if we didn't have space we would be crushed or thrown into the wilderness which results in death or we simply would starve because there wouldn't be more food to sustain new people.
I think we do, though. In terms of being able to live on the planet, yeah, no problem there. However, in terms of shelters or homes, it's a huge problem because more homes would need to be built (though I guess majority of homelessness is due to financial issues, not lack of space) to eventually accommodate. I don't see the Earth being able to hold us all without losing a lot of natural land, unless we find a way to live on ocean and deal with the tides and unpredictability.

Aren't people in Africa starving due to lack of food? I think a lot in India are starving because they can't afford to eat, but I recall reading about issues with supplying enough food for everyone. One of the reasons why scientists are genetically modifying crops is so the crops can provide more food in bigger portion or something.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I am not sure what eco-tourism is. D:

I think we do, though. In terms of being able to live on the planet, yeah, no problem there. However, in terms of shelters or homes, it's a huge problem because more homes would need to be built (though I guess majority of homelessness is due to financial issues, not lack of space) to eventually accommodate. I don't see the Earth being able to hold us all without losing a lot of natural land, unless we find a way to live on ocean and deal with the tides and unpredictability.

Aren't people in Africa starving due to lack of food? I think a lot in India are starving because they can't afford to eat, but I recall reading about issues with supplying enough food for everyone. One of the reasons why scientists are genetically modifying crops is so the crops can provide more food in bigger portion or something.
Yeah, but that is a bit of a separate issue. There is more than enough room to accommodate multiple times the current population without ever approaching the sci fi scenario I mentioned. We would take up more space without a doubt however that can be mitigated if we do what you mention earlier, build vertically, not horizontally. I doubt the population can actually grow that much anyways. Living on the ocean is not necessarily a good idea, that would actually be the worst alternative to destroying natural land. The vast majority of the oxygen we breath does not come from trees, it comes from the ocean. Estimates vary between 50 and 80% of our oxygen coming from phytoplankton. If we live on top of the ocean we would block sunlight which as far as I know is a pretty important energy source for ocean wildlife. With those estimates we could probably survive without trees but we won't survive without phytoplankton.

My point is more along the lines of the current world production of food being enough for everyone. The issue in africa is a tad more complicated though. As far as I know, however limited, they have the issue that they can't grow much food and they cannot buy it because they are pretty poor. If they could buy food probably someone would sell it to them after all.

TitaniumOxide

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It is not improving or preserving. Well not this simple in my book. You guys are writing good posts but I think the root of the problem is imbalance. To get back to prosperity there needs to be balance. Good unbiased balance at that. The question is when doing one thing, are you harming another? So far, humans have taken and given but we take and ruin more than we preserve and give back. If there is no balance in mind, all the best world saving idea is useless. Balance is everywhere already: water, fire. Batman, joker. Seems like we need the perfect amount of opposites right now but we will need a long time to get back to real balance.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
We should preserve the environment because it is a moral obligation to support the survival and flourishing of sentient beings.

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
What SharkBait says is true philosophically and even morally. However, if that's not enough for you, practical we have no way of surviving without our environment being pretty damn close to what it is now. At best, the technology we have now could save most of those in the "First World" because of the wealth it contains...most everyone else is completely fucked if we don't do preserve and protect it....more protect than preserve. Zoos preserve animals but when they go extinct in the wild, seeing the last of a species locked up in a cage is a pretty sad sight.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
We should preserve our environment not because it's moral, but because common sense. We can't survive if the environment is close to being irreversibly destroyed or changed. If we lose lots of greens, then oxygen may be scarce. If we waste water, then we'll have far less fresh water to live on, whether to take in our body or grow crops with. The entire world is due to interactions - plants take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen, allowing it to grow and become food for animals, who survive by taking in the oxygen and breathing carbon dioxide, and many of those animals help sustain the survival of other species, directly or indirectly.

A predator kills its prey and after eating of its prey, walks away. This in turn allows scavengers to eat the prey. We benefit greatly, and if an ecosystem is destroyed, it will harm us in the long run.

tl;dr: preserving our environment keeps us and living things alive.

Judith Mizell

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
A good question would be, WHY SHOULDN'T WE? Nature has provided us with everything we need. Air to breathe, water to drink, food to eat. Why shouldn't we give back and preserve the nature / environment? Isn't that beneficial to us too? Also, it is not so hard, is it? Just make sure you turn your tap completely, so there will be no leaks and to segregate our trash correctly. No sweat!

I entered this phrase in google and came up with pretty good site discussions : why should we preserve our environment

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Environmental issues are a lot more serious than most people seem willing to acknowledge, and I think talking about food supplies is probably the best way to get them to change their minds. Hardly anybody cares about global warming or the extinction of various animal species, but if you tell them about how it affects their food *right now* then they might sit up and listen. Long-term thinking and planning for the unexpected are both areas humans (as a group, not as individuals) are not great at, sadly. Show people how a problem affects them right now and then they start to care. Then you have the door open to talk about further sustainability-related issues.

It seems like manufacturing, doesn't it? But in fact, livestock shouldn't be "manufactured." It's supposed to have been raised. It was very well put in a podcast I was listening to earlier today (paraphrase): the misery the animals go through in factory farms becomes misery for us down the road. Just because we don't see, hear, smell, feel the torturous life they're put through, doesn't mean we don't suffer from it ourselves in the form of inferior and only weakly nutritive meat, eggs, and dairy. Even if you don't want to take "you are what you eat" that far, it's sad that what should be the most nutrient-rich foods filled with pre-formed vitamins, organic minerals, etc., are so poorly taken care of (tiny, filthy factory pens), at best they end up becoming the equivalent of a watered-down bar drink and at worst they can be outright dangerous.

My point is more along the lines of the current world production of food being enough for everyone. The issue in africa is a tad more complicated though. As far as I know, however limited, they have the issue that they can't grow much food and they cannot buy it because they are pretty poor. If they could buy food probably someone would sell it to them after all.
Africa has plenty of food, contrary to the tired old narratives of Western media. It's a diverse continent incredibly rich in natural resources, with accordingly diverse and significant (and growing) global exports. I hate to generalize, but food distribution problems there usually have little to do with supply. They're largely logistical, and/or due to lack of infrastructure. Often the same nation that has a famine in one isolated rural region can have a food surplus in another because fresh foods from the latter location will spoil before they can be transported to the former. It is a problem though, when outside nations will pay a significant amount more for a food export than people can to buy it locally. Then there's commodity price speculation on food by investment bankers, driving up prices.

I think the biggest threat to food supplies globally is unethical business practices, honestly.

Interesting point about the phytoplankton! I already preferred the idea of building upward like you said rather than building on the ocean after seeing a documentary on it a while ago, but even just somewhat limiting our oxygen supply is a scary thought.

A good question would be, WHY SHOULDN'T WE? Nature has provided us with everything we need. Air to breathe, water to drink, food to eat. Why shouldn't we give back and preserve the nature / environment? Isn't that beneficial to us too? Also, it is not so hard, is it? Just make sure you turn your tap completely, so there will be no leaks and to segregate our trash correctly. No sweat!

I entered this phrase in google and came up with pretty good site discussions : why should we preserve our environment
Aren't you concerned about coal emissions or oil spills that pollute the land, water, air, and our food, and lay the costs of all this damage on the public? How do you convince people not to drive cars when so many people look down on public transit, OR convince car companies to make electric cars while also convincing governments to invest in interconnected, intentionally-redundant nationwide electric grids to fuel those cars? Will oil companies stand for that? What about commercial aircraft and (especially) private jets? Can we convince rich people to go book a first class car in a bullet train instead of just hopping into their own planes? Will people happily give up the ability to buy the most common fruits at any time of year and go back to seasonal buying to reduce emissions?

Anyway, I don't think the public is as much to blame for most of this stuff as government/business failure to act. Governments should be working to find the most beneficial long-term solutions for everybody, but instead they're all corrupt and bought out by those who want to make a quick buck.

Last edited: