Discussion - Why do I suck at Multiplayer Games? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Why do I suck at Multiplayer Games?

blackdoom

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I don't really mean for this to be a 'thought of the day' post, but recently it's occurred to me that I kind of suck at playing games in multiplayer with other people. And I'm not quite sure why that is.

I play games a lot. I've been into video games since I was a child, and I'm 26 years old now. I've owned many consoles and handhelds, and played games on the computer. Most of that time was spent playing single-player games, though admittedly, I probably haven't beaten as many games as I should have given that time frame - I chalk it up to being to OCD about completing things in games.

But whenever I play video games with other people, it usually doesn't seem to go very well for me.

In FPS games, I often die more than I kill other players. I am frequently coming in last place, or else a low rank. In MMOs I never fared too well, I think the highest level I attained in WOW was maybe 50 or 60, if that.

Whenever I try to play games with friends, it usually starts off alright, but then we end up playing the game for different things, or want to do different things whenever we do play, and usually they end up with a higher rank and level than me and I don't really have much to show for my time with the game.

A little bit ago I was playing some Hearthstone, and I narrowly managed to win one random match, but during the second one I felt like I had all of my dignity pretty much taken away within about eleven turns.

I don't know why I'm not any good at playing games against or with other people. I'm just simply not. I'm happier playing games alone, with a CPU.

Does anyone else feel this way?
I'm not sure why I can't compete, or even have fun playing games with other people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Demonspeed

Runaway Kotarou
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
It happens to you in all kinds of game? No matter the genre?

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
While this is certainly not true for all gamers, I've noticed based on my previous experiences that you're either the type who excels in single player games or multiplayer games. Of course, there are many other factors like the type of game and the people you're up against but I think this generalization holds true to a certain extent.

Personally though, I'm the complete opposite. My strengths are more geared towards online multiplayer games than story modes, for example. I find it more difficult to play against a CPU boss than a real person in most cases. And like I mentioned earlier, it depends on the game. By far, I do the best in FPS games compared to TPS, MMOs, and RPGs.

Freid

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
So I don't really mean for this to be a 'thought of the day' post, but recently it's occurred to me that I kind of suck at playing games in multiplayer with other people. And I'm not quite sure why that is.

I play games a lot. I've been into video games since I was a child, and I'm 26 years old now. I've owned many consoles and handhelds, and played games on the computer. Most of that time was spent playing single-player games, though admittedly, I probably haven't beaten as many games as I should have given that time frame - I chalk it up to being to OCD about completing things in games.

But whenever I play video games with other people, it usually doesn't seem to go very well for me.

In FPS games, I often die more than I kill other players. I am frequently coming in last place, or else a low rank. In MMOs I never fared too well, I think the highest level I attained in WOW was maybe 50 or 60, if that.

Whenever I try to play games with friends, it usually starts off alright, but then we end up playing the game for different things, or want to do different things whenever we do play, and usually they end up with a higher rank and level than me and I don't really have much to show for my time with the game.

A little bit ago I was playing some Hearthstone, and I narrowly managed to win one random match, but during the second one I felt like I had all of my dignity pretty much taken away within about eleven turns.

I don't know why I'm not any good at playing games against or with other people. I'm just simply not. I'm happier playing games alone, with a CPU.

Does anyone else feel this way?
I'm not sure why I can't compete, or even have fun playing games with other people.
We're opposites on this but I wish I were like you. I really only play multiplayer games because I like the thrill of competition and I'm pretty good but sometimes the imbalance in them can be frustrating. I mostly play fighters and balancing rosters of over 40 is task for most devs and almost impossible, so that means some character match ups would be unequal and sometimes mind numbingly stupid. It forces you to learn characters you might not want to in order to be competitive which makes playing unenjoyable sometimes.