Discussion - What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot... | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot...

Crude

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hunter x Hunter, like everything else in this world, is not perfect. Everything has its flaws, including our beloved series. This is all a matter of opinion of course, as there are those that are satisfied with everything in the series, but to those that aren't here is a thread were you can discuss what you dislike about Togashi's manga. I'll begin with the most common complaint that the series has received:

Constant Hiatuses
I have no idea wether Togashi's frequent hiatuses are due to illness or lazyness or something else altogether, but as a lover of this manga I do get tired of having to deal with constant interruptions to the story. And it's not just that the hiatuses are frequent, but also the fact that many of them last a very long time, be it several months to longer than a year. I get that Hunter x Hunter is a deep and complex series (one of the many things I love about it) which sometimes requires Togashi to spend quite a bit developing the storyline and battles, but the hiatuses are just ridiculous. I wish that we'd at least have a streak consisting of 10 chapters and then a few months break like we used to in the past, that would at least be something.

Lack of Leorio
Leorio is one of my favourite characters in Hunter x Hunter. At first he gives off the impression that he's one big jerk who only cares about money, but then we learn who he really is: a kind and compassionate person, as well as a great friend. He's a fan favourite, which just makes it all the more sad that we get to see so little of him. I like the fact that Hunter x Hunter breaks out of the norm and changes it's main party of characters every arc, but Leorio always gets the short end of the stick! Killua has spent most of the series by Gon's side, and Kurapika got a lot of focus in the Yorknew Arc, but Leorio has always felt like little more than a side-character since the end of the Hunter Exam. He did get some well-deserved attention in the Election Arc which was good to see. I just hope that he won't disappear for a large stretch of the story again.

Unexplored Concepts
Togashi has managed to create such a large and intriguing world in Hunter x Hunter, which makes it all the more sad when he doesn't explore some of its concepts as much as he should. I know that I'm not the only one who'd love to know more about the Arena Masters and who's the top dog at Heaven's Arena, or to know more about certain kind of hunters such as gourmet or archaeological hunters, or to learn more about Hanzo's country, etc... the list is almost endless. I know that there should be an element of mystery in the series, that's what makes the HxH world seem so large, but still... I wish that we'd get to learn a little more about certain things Togashi introduced to the story.

Now it's your turn guys. Just a reminder though:

This is a thread dealing with negative points in the series, so it does seem likely that there could be some bashing. I ask all of you to remain civil and to avoid bashing and flaming at all costs.

HybridBloodsZak

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting last point but I wouldn't call that a "flaw" per se in my opinion

Leaving things up to the imagination creates that sense of adventure Ging says he's looking for "What he can't see in front of him". Great franchises in other media don't try to explain everything like LOTR or Star Wars which the worlds and lore are far more expansive then the core stories. You'd have a hard time finding someone say the the LOTR books or the Star Wars Original trilogy suck because the main cast didn't explore every little nook and cranny of the world it takes place in.

That's what extended universe material are for whether it's War in the North, The Silmarillion, The Clone Wars, or the Thrawn Trilogy

I like it when a main series has specific story it's trying to tell and doesn't lose sight of it.

Last edited:

Crude

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I think I know what you mean. Leaving a lot of things unxeplored creates a sense of wonder and mystery. This can, for example, be seen in the game Shadow of The Colossus. You, the player, know basically squat about the game's world and setting, which leaves you to figure out for yourself why the region where the game takes place has no signs of life besides a few species of animals and the aforementioned Colossi. Sometimes it's best not to delve into things too much, I agree. What I meant in my previous post is that there are some things that Togashi introduced which he seemingly abandoned, things I wish he'd explore just a little bit more. Hopefully he does someday.

The Invertroid

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I kind of dislike how Togashi will introduce a whole heap of new characters at once, instead of building upon the characters we've seen before.

Vevi

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
China
Lack of female characters.
Yeah we have some but MOST of them are odd. (Biscuit turning into a macho, and Palm is... Palm)
And I'm still confused of Kalluto, Neferpitou & Alluka 's gender.

maybe this is just a personal preference and not a negative point after all.

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
1) The hiatuses sure are annoying, but it is a flaw of Togashi himself and not of the manga.
2) I too love Leorio as character and I hope that in the next saga of HXH he will be a prominent figure and show us more of his power, which I find intriguing.
3) About the unexplored concepts I think that someday Togashi will explore all of them, but I guess that when he will do, we will all be already old. LOL

REN KOUEN

Reaction score
Country
United States
hiatuses

lack of kurapika

lack of true rival for gon (so far im only on manga chapter 228)

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I pretty much agree with everything you said, Crude.

I know this may sound redundant, and I understand Togashi has health issues, but the art does get to me sometimes. I understand the scribbles for the weekly releases sometimes. I mean, you have deadlines, you do what you need to do to meet them. But when volumes are released, and you have more time to redraw the chapters, at least make it look like you put effort into redrawing them (I'm looking at you, volume 29).

I wish Hunter would do some sort of timeskip and have Leorio finish his med school studies so he can start hunting again.

futurefrog

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I tend to dislike characters being put on buses, but for the most part have come to accept it is part of Togashi's style.
I still miss Genthru so very badly! Melody too!!

Netero

Reaction score
Country
United States
-Too many male characters that look like girls (Alluka, Pitou, Kalluto, etc)

-Forgotten characters

-All the Hiatuses

-Scribble art (I wasn't all that bothered about It before since he would go back and redraw some badly drawn chapters in the past but now he doesn't even fix the shit in the volumes anymore.)

Well those are my only complaints

Last edited:

REN KOUEN

Reaction score
Country
United States
i admit the art is not amazing

but the plot and characters are so amazing that i dont let it bother me

besides the madhouse anime makes the art so amazing that it doesnt matter

zzigg

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
i admit the art is not amazing

but the plot and characters are so amazing that i dont let it bother me

besides the madhouse anime makes the art so amazing that it doesnt matter
read volumes chapters ..they are better

GingFuriksu

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The only thing that really bothers me are the hiatuses and the weekly artwork when its scribbles.

REN KOUEN

Reaction score
Country
United States
the king chimera ant looks a little bit too much like another form of cell, or one of the cell juniors from dbz

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 AM ----------

read volumes chapters ..they are better
where can i find these?

KingOfNight

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
There are only three things about this manga that I hate.

Hiatuses

For obvious reasons.

Gon Freeces

Surprise, surprise. Yeah, that's right, I hate Gon. To be specific, I hate how he constantly take on people much stronger than him just because he's the main protagonist. For example, why the hell have him fight Genthru when Killua and biscuit were much more competent than him. I hate how he's a selfish prick who only care about what he wants.

I could go on about why he's always ruining the manga for me, but I'll stop here.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

However, I don't always hate him and everything to do with him. There are a couple of stuff that I like about him. Still hate him as a whole though.

REN KOUEN

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are only three things about this manga that I hate.

Hiatuses

For obvious reasons.

Gon Freeces

Surprise, surprise. Yeah, that's right, I hate Gon. To be specific, I hate how he constantly take on people much stronger than him just because he's the main protagonist. For example, why the hell have him fight Genthru when Killua and biscuit were much more competent than him. I hate how he's a selfish prick who only care about what he wants.

I could go on about why he's always ruining the manga for me, but I'll stop here.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

However, I don't always hate him and everything to do with him. There are a couple of stuff that I like about him. Still hate him as a whole though.
you know it really is not that uncommon for the main protagonist to rub people the wrong way

i can show you about a dozen people on the naruto forum who hate naruto but love other characters in the manga

gon...i actually like gon, i think he is courageous, creative, simple-minded but adapts very well to the situation

but i do understand why some people would be turned off by someone who is "too innocent" or "too good"

the funniest part about gon to me was when i learned
that he went on alot of dates with older women who preferred younger men LOL

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually, I'm someone that will more often than not despise the main protagonist. Gon is one of my exceptions to this. Granted, he's not my favorite character in Hunter by a long stretch. I think it helps that Gon isn't overpowered and has a lancer (Killua) with him. It helps that although Gon is the stereotypical "gifted kid", he has someone that's as gifted right by his side.

But I can see where people would dislike him. He is a selfish jerk. He's a hunter, after all.

Keirin

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Finland
One word: Hiatuses.

Hxh is one of those series where I don't have any disliked characters. Probably one of the many reasons it's my favorite.

GingFuriksu

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually, I'm someone that will more often than not despise the main protagonist. Gon is one of my exceptions to this. Granted, he's not my favorite character in Hunter by a long stretch. I think it helps that Gon isn't overpowered and has a lancer (Killua) with him. It helps that although Gon is the stereotypical "gifted kid", he has someone that's as gifted right by his side.

But I can see where people would dislike him. He is a selfish jerk. He's a hunter, after all.
Funny thing is that the reasons WHY everyone who hates Gon hates him is why he's my favorite HxH character xD