Discussion - What Was the Last Visual Novel You Played, What is Next on Your List | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What Was the Last Visual Novel You Played, What is Next on Your List

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Post here about what games you have played what game you most recently finished, and what you next plan on playing.

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I've recently played Fate/Hollow Ataraxia but can't finish it yet because some translations towards the end are missing =/ Still a way better VN than I first thought. It can't compare to Fate/Stay Night but it's a lot better than it's first impression and surpasses F/SN on certain aspects too. For now I'm playing Umineko No Naku Koro Ni, pretty different in concept to the other VN's I've played but nevertheless quite good. Only finished the first episode so I obviously can't tell all that much yet.

Not sure what I'm going to try afterwards but most likely either Ever17 or G-Senjou.

Sky

Otaku Overlord
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It's been a while since I finished Fate/Stay Night but my next VN will be Umineko... Maybe Little Busters! after that. Maybe I'll wait until the patch for Ecstasy is done though... :teehee

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I've heard that Ecstasy is some kind of adult version of the game? Is it just added adult content or are there changes to the story/ a more mature approach?

Sky

Otaku Overlord
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I've heard that Ecstasy is some kind of adult version of the game? Is it just added adult content or are there changes to the story/ a more mature approach?
Ecstasy adds adult content for every heroine and adds 3 more heroines with their own routes. Furthermore some lines are changed. It's like an updated version of the original game.

Well I know the story from the Anime as well as some parts of the second season. It is pretty "mature" or what do you mean?

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Ecstasy adds adult content for every heroine and adds 3 more heroines with their own routes. Furthermore some lines are changed. It's like an updated version of the original game.

Well I know the story from the Anime as well as some parts of the second season. It is pretty "mature" or what do you mean?
Mature approach is like more dark/violent/thought-provoking/etc. :XD In a sense I meant if the overall story gets changed? I read that there will be an anime adaption of Ecstasy too, so I was wondering if they just add the new content there or if it will retell/change the story.

So wouldn't it be better to just start with Ecstasy and ignore the original, if most stuff is similar and the rest is additional content?

Sky

Otaku Overlord
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Mature approach is like more dark/violent/thought-provoking/etc. :XD In a sense I meant if the overall story gets changed? I read that there will be an anime adaption of Ecstasy too, so I was wondering if they just add the new content there or if it will retell/change the story.

So wouldn't it be better to just start with Ecstasy and ignore the original, if most stuff is similar and the rest is additional content?
LB ~Refrain will be pretty dark yes. :XD
Ecstasy will have an Anime too? Oh this will be pretty ecchi... :D
But yes most of the stuff is pretty similar. Just the new heroines as far as I know. So I wonder why they want to animate that...

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I've been playing Katawa Shoujo for several days now. It's a project made by Four Leafs Studio, and the game is free to play. You could get it here. The setting/girls might set you aback, but for me personally the story is decent to keep me playing for several routes already.

cearon

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Well, since I had some time in my hands to hikkikomi, I finished Soukou Akki Muramasa. It has a pretty good story (well Nitro+ made it so....).thou vertical text style was a little annoying since they just decided to put it in the middle of the screen.It should be played as it is long but good.

My next game I think I am gonna go with Grisia series or Maji series. Hopefully they will be as good as Muramasa....

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I dropped Umineko a while ago, the format just isn't my thingie. The story wasn't bad at all, so maybe I will finish it at one point. Waiting with LB until Ecstasy is released, so for now I will try Ever 17, a VN I've heard many good things about :zomg

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Wow this is seriously old.... XD Played a lot of VNs since then, but the last one I played is Muv Luv Alternative, which was just as awesome as I heard it is. Couldn't have asked for more. Currently playing Grisaia, which is better than what I expected tbh. Amane's route was amazing, I wonder what the rest has the offer :D

nanaDmari

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I finished playing Zero Escape - Virtue's Last Reward just last month and I don't even know how to explain how much I got into it, I just loved it. Because of all the other things I have on my shelf to play I probably won't get any other visual novel for a while. But I'm looking forward to Zero Escape 3 that was announced this year XD

Reactions: Nii

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I finished playing Zero Escape - Virtue's Last Reward just last month and I don't even know how to explain how much I got into it, I just loved it. Because of all the other things I have on my shelf to play I probably won't get any other visual novel for a while. But I'm looking forward to Zero Escape 3 that was announced this year XD
I've never played the Zero Escape games, but from what I've heard they're pretty good. If you did enjoy them, I would recommend Ever 17, it's by the same writer. I've played and loved it, the "true" route blew me away. As far as I know Zero Escape fans pretty much agree that Ever 17 has the best plot twist they've seen, besides that the writing and style is very similar, so this probably is easy to get into for any of the fans who've not read Ever 17 yet. Only notable difference is that there are no puzzles or anything like that.

nanaDmari

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I've never played the Zero Escape games, but from what I've heard they're pretty good. If you did enjoy them, I would recommend Ever 17, it's by the same writer. I've played and loved it, the "true" route blew me away. As far as I know Zero Escape fans pretty much agree that Ever 17 has the best plot twist they've seen, besides that the writing and style is very similar, so this probably is easy to get into for any of the fans who've not read Ever 17 yet. Only notable difference is that there are no puzzles or anything like that.
Oh yes, I know of Ever 17 and really would like to try it. Since most of my game time is on the bus I give preference to anything I can play on the 3ds or on my phone, so I still need to search options for that.

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I actually finished a few more VNs since my last post lol. Grisaia was good, but not amazing in the end (besides Amane's route). Still looking forward to read Labyrinth and Eden.

Actually picked up Umineko again and it was amazing on many levels. Not exactly without any faults, but engaging 95% of the time and a bombastic mystery, growing beyond anything I expected. It was convoluted, gut-wrenching and actually dared to challenge the reader to the utmost limit. The message behind the whole thing moved me a lot. I have trouble calling it a masterpiece, but it's probably the most memorable work I've read in years and deserves to be praised highly.

Now I'm reading Himawari, had to stop like a week ago but I'm looking forward to continue the work soon, it's been pretty enjoyable so far :blush

It's been a while since I finished Fate/Stay Night but my next VN will be Umineko... Maybe Little Busters! after that. Maybe I'll wait until the patch for Ecstasy is done though... :teehee
Wow, what a little gem I found by pure chance :teehee Umineko next... three years later... yes, this is very Sky-like XD

Reactions: Sky