Favorites - What is your favorite Manga of all time? | Page 8 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Favorites What is your favorite Manga of all time?

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
How come? ;) I would love to hear your reasons because I've never read it before.
You should read it!!!!! Its an awesome manga , the only think that i didnt liked about it was the fact that it ended too soon :crying
For me until now Slam Dunk is the manga that made me most laugh and Slam Dunk definitely represents what a sports manga need to be !!!
If you like sports, you should read this even if you dont like much of Basketball , in my case i am not much of a fan of Basketball, i like it, but i do not follow for example the NBA games or even play basketball weekly , or something like that , my love went all to soccer, but i still found Slam Dunk great!!!!

Ask to other members here and they will say , i am 100% sure , to read it! :tem

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I wouldn't call Slam Dunk my single favorite manga of all time, but it definitely ranks among my favorites of all time :amuse

It is the epitome of good sports manga, imo. It draws the reader in even if the reader doesn't know squat about basketball, the matches are extremely well done and can have you sitting at the edge of your seat the whole time, and I hope I'm not the only one who would actually stand up and go "YEAH" when they win :sweat *feels a little embarrassed now* You'll feel like you're actually watching a real basketball match :) The comedy also will have you roaring with laughter. Shouhoku is an amazing and dynamic team, and you'll find yourself loving the whole team, even the reserves, and even all their rivals from the other schools. In short, you'll love Slam Dunk :thumbs

So I agree with jorped 100% - read it! :D

Another great basketball series by the same author, with less comedy, more heartwrenching and more seriousness (but not in a bad way) is REAL. Also highly recommended and among my favorite mangas of all time.

krnbboyj

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
South Korea
Dragonball is my favorite of all time :) I collected most of the volumes.

SSJWill4

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hunter X Hunter. Now if it would just come back from hiatus already. :P

perroloco

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
The best manga in the whole world!

As we all Bakuman readers know in recent chapters Eiji has proclamed that

He will make the best manga in the whole world.

Anyway, I think this is a very interesting topic which I would like to disscuss, maybe I have a close-mind or I am not seeing the whole picture but I think its impossible for a manga artist to make the overall most know comic in the whole world.

Its also important to note I know like nothing about Superman (He is from Krypton?), Batman (Just watched the movies.. Tried to read Killer Joke and I didn't think it was that good), Spiderman (Movies..), etc.

I will provide more points as to why I think no manga artist could create the most popular comic ever, one being that there are already very, very, very popular franchises like I said...

ashher

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Re: The best manga in the whole world!

Ah you can never tell. Sure american comics have a head start...who knows may be the next superman will be some hero from a manga.

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Re: The best manga in the whole world!

I was worried that this thread was going to debate about which series we think are the best. XD

"Best" can be subjective concerning quality so he was most likely talking about quantity. Even so, the definition is still not clear: is it the title with the most number of sales or is is the one that is remembered the longest?

I think in order to have the best manga in the world, it has to be malleable and the characters would need to survive throughout the decades. One of the reasons why American superheroes are popular is because the characters are adapted by various writers creating different interpretations. They not only have expanded to cartoons, they have also been brought to life in films and dramas. The variation is to prevent staleness: the heroes were fighting evul communists in the 1950s, but those type of villains are irrelevant now. Therefore, new situations have to be created in order for the characters to survive.

The story should also be simple and straightforward. The premise of "killing a monster a day" seems trite, but it's easy to work with and will be understood well with anyone regardless of place and time.

Flowerflip00

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: What is the Greatest Manga of all time?

To me the best manga is yu yu hakusho may not be very popular but it is very good action and comedy

REN KOUEN

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
i know it is kind of generic , but dragon ball is probably my all time favorite. alot of people say "its only fighting" or "there is no story"

but i have read the manga a few times and watched the anime(DB and DBZ) about 10 times all the way through it just never really gets old to me

matzik1212

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Romania
One Piece and Naruto are my favorites , i can't choose between them so i'll go with both as my favorites :D

Phenom

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Psyren and Rurouni Kenshin

I found Psyren to be a breath of fresh air. I mean, it's not like the series did anything new or anything. Most of what's been presented I've seen in Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece (and more, and that's why you'll never hear/see me say _____ is a ripoff), but the way Psyren's story is told is what really caught me. It's like the mangaka took bits of Bleach/One Piece epic moments and mixed it with Shin Megami Tensei's storytelling, at least that's how I saw it at the time. And even when I reread it, it still feels refreshing. Another reason I enjoy the series so much is the characters and to see a main character that's not an airhead is just as refreshing, not to mention there are no damsels in this series. It's too bad this ended the way it did though.

Rurouni Kenshin on the otherhand, well, I'm just a sucker for samurai's. A main character that's in his 20's, uses his head, and is pretty bad###, what more could I ask for? Top it off, it's loaded with samurai action.

Black Leg 08

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
My favorite of all time would be... "SLAM DUNK"...
But for me the best ever will be non other than "ONE PIECE"...

crimsonlink310

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yu Yu Hakusho from the old days with Bleach as my favorite on-going manga as of now.

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
it's hard to pick up only one manga. I gotta say my favorite shounen is One piece and for my favorite Seinen of all time it's a tie between Gunnm ( battle angel Alita ) and Berserk.

Surprise

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one piece and kenshin tied for first with death note, Hikaru no go, and whistle slightly behind

Bengije

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Berserk first and FMA on second by 0.000000001 points...

Guts and Griffith remind me of Yin-Yang. Griffith is seeing as light while his interior is all darkness, and Guts is just the opposite.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Man this sorta changes depending on what I've read recently. Gintama has a special place in my heart, despite me wanting to hurt Sorachi so badly when I'm translating it. Gintama manages to do more genres in one arc well than some manga manage to do during an entire run. I love that Gintama isn't about 'success' it's about 'getting by'. Gintoki and the other characters aren't super powerful, super lucky, or super relevant. Which is kind sorta how life is. Everyone's just doing their best to get by and life isn't always elegant moments traced with dreamlike ecstasy like most shounen manga would have fans believe. Life's tough, unfair, and sometimes all too short, and I appreciate Sorachi for not being afraid to be brutally honest. Plus it's a bit refreshing to have a protagonist in a Shounen who's my age. :-P

I echo One piece. I may be overreaching, but I believe that Oda has crafted an epic comparable to the Odyssey or the Iliad.
Hunter X Hunter is also amazing. A perfect antithesis to Shounen manga, even if Togashi didn't mean it to be one. Every time you figure Togashi is going to embrace a trope, he ends up perverting it into something completely unexpected.

I'd like to also say I like Fukuchi Tsubasa's works for being just....fun. Sure they aren't thought provoking, or even very original, but in these times where a Shounen manga seems to be judged to be good or bad on merits of how emo it can be, I really appreciate Fukuchi for just being himself, weird and offbeat, but always just tons of fun. Ueki, Takkoku, and Anagle are all the most fun I've had reading/translating manga, and are just great for kicking back an indulging one's inner child.

danzouismadara

Reaction score
Country
United States
One Piece! 99.9 % of the chapters are awesome in some way or another.

It's got action, comedy, multiple themes, suspense, characters you get attached to, drama, creativeness, bounties, supernatural powers. Oda really created a complex One piece world that all ties together perfectly.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Given the current arc, Naruto's not my favorite anymore. Dragon Ball has Dragon Ball Z, so yeah. Yu Yu Hakusho's first and last arc leaves much to be desired. One Piece can be a hit or miss and is so overrated, as much as I like it.

FMA is probably my favorite manga of all time because it's consistently good. The quality is great, and there's barely a page or chapter that I didn't like or hated.