Match - Weekly Match-up thread (Mares vs Ryoma) | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Match Weekly Match-up thread (Mares vs Ryoma)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
ROUND IS OVER

Oni Juujirou

33rd Round:

Let's follow Ganon's suggestion: can the current Ryoma perform as well against Mares as Kintarou did?

Picture
NameMares de ColónEchizen Ryoma
TitleSniperThe Prince of Tennis
RankSpain Representative (HSer Year 3)No. 14 (Mser Year 1)
Height-152.5 cm
Weight-47kg
Dominant HandRightLeft
Playstyle-All Rounder
Stat Total-21
Speed-4
Power-3
Stamina-4
Mental-5
Technique-5
Techniques / StylesSniper
Real Sniper
Francotirador
White Flame
Twist Serve
COOL Drive
Hyaku Ren Jitoku no Kiwami (not listed)
Saiki Kanpatsu no Kiwami (not listed)
Teni Muhou no Kiwami
Samurai Drive
Glowing Shot (not listed)
Hope
Ki Jin? (not listed)
Super Drive B (not listed)

Ryoma's 10.5 profile.

Ryoma's Tenipuri Party profile.

Poll will be up on Wednesday.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Wirbel Taufe's threat is the intense spin, not raw power. That being said, I did foolishly forget it returns BJK.

Still don't think he can return Buster but this match is now closer in my eyes.
Duke high diff if he can spam buster, otherwise loses.
We don't actually know if it can return BJK. We just know Tanegashima is the only guy at the camp that Oni could never beat (implying he beat everyone else, Duke included?), tying every time.

The buster itself "only" scratched Tokugawa that didn't know it was a thing, is slower than Tanegashima, doesn't have a 7 in Mental and cannot go invisible. How would it touch Tanegashima? Aren't these shots aimed at the player, not the court? If they miss it's Tanegashima's point, correct?

mathematicianrcg

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
The Funny thing is we are probably talking about the two weakest in Genius 5. (If you dont count Irie since he is technically #11 though he should be #6)

And yet, we are arguing between

A Man that can Be Invisible and Erase Existence of both himself and shots.

And

A Man that can Sent you flying in the sky with his Raw Power

This will be a very close match

I think if they play 10 times. They will split it 5-5.

Ganonslayer101

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
We don't actually know if it can return BJK. We just know Tanegashima is the only guy at the camp that Oni could never beat (implying he beat everyone else, Duke included?), tying every time.

The buster itself "only" scratched Tokugawa that didn't know it was a thing, is slower than Tanegashima, doesn't have a 7 in Mental and cannot go invisible. How would it touch Tanegashima? Aren't these shots aimed at the player, not the court? If they miss it's Tanegashima's point, correct?
I mean if theyre constantly in a tie then he can return BJK. Whether he's faced Kijin is unknown. Him not winning/ losing though feels like a match up issue though. He can seal Onis attacks but can't pull off winners.

Even if Buster doesn't hit, Tane isn't returning it and nothing suggests Duke can't aim at the court. A 7 in mental doesn't do anything in this match up.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
I mean if theyre constantly in a tie then he can return BJK. Whether he's faced Kijin is unknown. Him not winning/ losing though feels like a match up issue though. He can seal Onis attacks but can't pull off winners.

Even if Buster doesn't hit, Tane isn't returning it and nothing suggests Duke can't aim at the court. A 7 in mental doesn't do anything in this match up.
Playing Devil's advocate here, it could also mean he can keep his serve with setups for Void, while Oni can do the same with BJK. But this seems extremely wrong since Oni had to pull the GJK to surprise Kaji (who is much worse than Tanegashima) so to me it seems reasonable that he was playing against Oni who still had his Ki Jin (making it a 10 Power BJK).

The whole point of the Buster is hitting an opponent that was baited by the bunt, though. All we know about the one time it was used was that it bounced in the wall behind Tokugawa.

7 in Mental has a lot to do with this. Even using Tanegashima's description:

Mental - 7: Because he is the kind of person who does things just to amuse himself, he can change even a pinch into a chance. Because flexibility supports his foundation, whether it be enemy or ally, he has the acumen to see through and surpass them.

Mental is not just fortitude and confidence, but also perception. Reinforced in Kurobe's memo:

"He has natural incredible perception and a large field of vision which he uses to see through one's weaknesses."

So how can he be perceptive enough to one up Zeus but cannot do anything about the Homerun, that needs to be specifically hit with the SSS to work and was already returned by Tokugawa using a weird grip? Specially having a move like Void that removes absolutely all spin (which is ironically how Bismarck countered it) and lands perfectly in blindspots without bouncing? Add Ultimate Void to the mix and now Duke doesn't even know where Tanegashima is coming from to defend nor where to attack.

We also know having more power isn't the end of things since we know Nationals! Shiraishi can return the 108 Hadou and he's much weaker than Gin.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

ROUND IS OVER

Tanegashima Shuuji
Second round:

Since it got some suggestions and we discussed it briefly in another thread, let's go with this one.

The man that rewrote his future or the ex No.1 in Japan's U-17?

Who wins?

Picture
NameTezuka KunimitsuOni Juujirou
Title-The Gatekeeper from Hell
Rank- (Germany MSers)No. 5
Height179 cm187 cm
Weight61 kg83 kg
Dominant HandLeftRight
PlaystyleAll RounderAll Rounder
Stat Total23.5?
Speed4.5?
Power410
Stamina4?
Mental5?
Technique6?
Techniques / StylesZero-Shiki Drop Shot
Zero-Shiki Serve
Zero-Shiki Lob
Hyaku Ren Jitoku no Kiwami
Saiki Kanpatsu no Kiwami
Teni Muhou no Kiwami
Ultimate Zone
10 Ball Strike
Ki Jin
Teni Muhou no Kiwami
Golden Jack Knife

Their 10.5 profiles are here.

Once again, their stats are not up to date: Tezuka has been intensely training his leg work and endurance with Volk, who runs marathons. Oni's stats were all "???". We got to see that Oni has a 10 in power in chapter 356 but unfortunately the rest is covered (he does seem to have around 5~ in Speed and around 5.5~ in Stamina, though).

Poll will be up on Thursday.

Last edited:

LetalHawk

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Gotta give it to Tezuka.

Ultimate Zone can’t be broken at all unless you have something like Yips or a counter that nullifies the spin on the ball. Oni has great technique but Tezuka’s better in that aspect, unless he uses raw power to break through it (which won’t work because the spin of UZ is immense and the ball will still go to Tezuka), then Tezuka wins the majority of the points.

Oni’s Kijin shouldn’t disturb Tezuka, he has TnK to combat it, but again so does Oni, it would be an even match.

Tezuka also has ZSS and Oni has to polish his speed more, he can confuse him with normal serves and ZSS here and there. Oni has good reaction when going to the front but Yukimura’s faster, if he doesn’t anticipate the Zs drop he would fall prey to it, but Oni should have enough perception to see when Tezuka is going to hit it and anticipate beforehand.

Tezuka also has amazing stamina like Oni, so endurance wise they are pretty much equal.

Power wise Oni is much stronger and Tezuka should watch out to not get Koed by the GJK, but his technique should help him to avoid that. The BjK gets returned, Tezuka can use Hyakuren to return it doubled probably, and with Phantom or UZone the golden jack knife either gets out of bounds or returns straight to Tezuka.

Saiki is pretty much useless here and I don’t think he’s resort to using it.

Tezuka wins 6-4. I even bet we haven’t seen yet all he has in store, he unveiled at the last point the Zshiki lob and outplayed Yuki like he wanted to. Against Oni I see a pretty great match here, Tezuka should beat him imo at this point.

The main thing is how long Oni would take to break Ultimate Zone, because I see him resorting to his raw power to break through it, but it would take a while.

And stats wise, Tezuka with his UZone gets a 7 in technique possibly, and speed and stamina should be 5.5 both of them. Mental would be a 7 too since he has the mentality of never giving up and of a pro thanks to Volk. Power maybe 5 as Tezuka got stronger in Germany.

Last edited:

mathematicianrcg

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Playing Devil's advocate here, it could also mean he can keep his serve with setups for Void, while Oni can do the same with BJK. But this seems extremely wrong since Oni had to pull the GJK to surprise Kaji (who is much worse than Tanegashima) so to me it seems reasonable that he was playing against Oni who still had his Ki Jin (making it a 10 Power BJK).

The whole point of the Buster is hitting an opponent that was baited by the bunt, though. All we know about the one time it was used was that it bounced in the wall behind Tokugawa.

7 in Mental has a lot to do with this. Even using Tanegashima's description:

Mental - 7: Because he is the kind of person who does things just to amuse himself, he can change even a pinch into a chance. Because flexibility supports his foundation, whether it be enemy or ally, he has the acumen to see through and surpass them.

Mental is not just fortitude and confidence, but also perception. Reinforced in Kurobe's memo:

"He has natural incredible perception and a large field of vision which he uses to see through one's weaknesses."

So how can he be perceptive enough to one up Zeus but cannot do anything about the Homerun, that needs to be specifically hit with the SSS to work and was already returned by Tokugawa using a weird grip? Specially having a move like Void that removes absolutely all spin (which is ironically how Bismarck countered it) and lands perfectly in blindspots without bouncing? Add Ultimate Void to the mix and now Duke doesn't even know where Tanegashima is coming from to defend nor where to attack.

We also know having more power isn't the end of things since we know Nationals! Shiraishi can return the 108 Hadou and he's much weaker than Gin.

ROUND IS OVER

Tanegashima Shuuji
Second round:

Since it got some suggestions and we discussed it briefly in another thread, let's go with this one.

The man that rewrote his future or the ex No.1 in Japan's U-17?

Who wins?

PictureView media item 28424View media item 28423
NameTezuka KunimitsuOni Juujirou
Title-The Gatekeeper from Hell
Rank- (Germany MiddleSchoolers)No. 5
Height179 cm187 cm
Weight61 kg83 kg
Dominant HandLeftRight
Stat Total23.5?
Speed4.5?
Power410
Stamina5?
Mental4.5?
Technique6?
Techniques / StylesZero-Shiki Drop Shot
Zero-Shiki Serve
Zero-Shiki Lob
Teni Muhou no Kiwami
Ultimate Zone
10 Ball Strike
Ki Jin
Teni Muhou no Kiwami
Golden Jack Knife

Once again, their stats are not up to date: Tezuka has been intensely training his leg work and endurance with Volk, who runs marathons. Oni's stats were all "???". We got to see that Oni has a 10 in power in chapter 356 but unfortunately the rest is covered (he does seem to have around 5~ in Speed and around 5.5~ in Stamina, though).

Poll will be up on Thursday.
I think Oni Beats Tezuka. And I like Tezuka a lot.

UA QP > TNK ONI > Bismarck> Base QP

And I think Tezuka is below QP and Bismarck in Germany Pecking Order.

As for the Match and Skills Wise goes.

Oni's Kijin and TNK combined will be tough for Tezuka.

Tezuka's Versatility and Variety of Techniques will make it a tough match

But I can see Oni winning like 7-5, 7-5 in a 3 set match.

PS: Oni's Power is more than twice than Tezuka too

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I think Oni Beats Tezuka. And I like Tezuka a lot.

UA QP > TNK ONI > Bismarck> Base QP

And I think Tezuka is below QP and Bismarck in Germany Pecking Order.

As for the Match and Skills Wise goes.

Oni's Kijin and TNK combined will be tough for Tezuka.

Tezuka's Versatility and Variety of Techniques will make it a tough match

But I can see Oni winning like 7-5, 7-5 in a 3 set match.

PS: Oni's Power is more than twice than Tezuka too
Imo, Tezuka’s got enough technique to play around Oni’s power. With UZone which combines Zone and Phantom, no matter how strong Oni is, his shots would get sucked in or out depending on the situation. Eventually he would break it with raw power, but Tezuka also has Hyakuren which increases his power to return the jack knifes (and TnK).

I doubt he’s getting koed as he is smart enough to cancel or play around Oni’s power.

mathematicianrcg

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Imo, Tezuka’s got enough technique to play around Oni’s power. With UZone which combines Zone and Phantom, no matter how strong Oni is, his shots would get sucked in or out depending on the situation. Eventually he would break it with raw power, but Tezuka also has Hyakuren which increases his power to return the jack knifes (and TnK).

I doubt he’s getting koed as he is smart enough to cancel or play around Oni’s power.
Yeah. I voted for Oni. But Tezuka Trickery can be a big factor.

Basically, it is a match between Oni's Power and Tezuka's Trickery.

Tezuka could have hidden other techniques aside from ZS lob

On the other hand. Demon Resurrection Oni Who was able to Return a Shot against UA QP (albeit a little bit out) could have been scaled to UA QP (or at least slightly below)

Gotta give it to Tezuka.

Ultimate Zone can’t be broken at all unless you have something like Yips or a counter that nullifies the spin on the ball. Oni has great technique but Tezuka’s better in that aspect, unless he uses raw power to break through it (which won’t work because the spin of UZ is immense and the ball will still go to Tezuka), then Tezuka wins the majority of the points.
I wonder how hard it is to copy a technique like Bismarck Spinless sway.

I wonder if Oni can copy it

Tavore

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
England
Gotta go with Oni

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Gotta give it to Tezuka.

Hm, on the other hand, Oni might not need to break the zone completely in order to score?

We've only seen it work horizontally except for Mouri's weak ZSS return and a lob in a chapter I cannot remember (besides anime filler). Never anything like a flat. In fact, Sanada outpowered the zone just using good old Fire back in the Nationals, which forced Tezuka to abandon his strategy and use Hyakuren (only to be struck by Lightning). Oni with his 10 Power in Kijin is much stronger than that, and if Tezuka brings back Hyakuren (which he shouldn't, as he'd lose the Zone) then Oni has the SSS himself in the GJK.

After 20 days in the camp, Sanada got to a 5, only 1 more point than Tezuka... and his Nationals self got that feat with Fire. Now imagine how well a 10 would fare. Granted, this is before the Phantom entered the picture, but it does show Power can bruteforce Tezuka's spin (and it makes sense? Also, the closer you are to the net the wider your hitting angle).

Oni’s Kijin shouldn’t disturb Tezuka, he has TnK to combat it, but again so does Oni, it would be an even match.

Tezuka also has ZSS and Oni has to polish his speed more, he can confuse him with normal serves and ZSS here and there. Oni has good reaction when going to the front but Yukimura’s faster, if he doesn’t anticipate the Zs drop he would fall prey to it, but Oni should have enough perception to see when Tezuka is going to hit it and anticipate beforehand.

Tezuka also has amazing stamina like Oni, so endurance wise they are pretty much equal.

Power wise Oni is much stronger and Tezuka should watch out to not get Koed by the GJK, but his technique should help him to avoid that. The BjK gets returned, Tezuka can use Hyakuren to return it doubled probably, and with Phantom or UZone the golden jack knife either gets out of bounds or returns straight to Tezuka.

Saiki is pretty much useless here and I don’t think he’s resort to using it.

Tezuka wins 6-4. I even bet we haven’t seen yet all he has in store, he unveiled at the last point the Zshiki lob and outplayed Yuki like he wanted to. Against Oni I see a pretty great match here, Tezuka should beat him imo at this point.

The main thing is how long Oni would take to break Ultimate Zone, because I see him resorting to his raw power to break through it, but it would take a while.

And stats wise, Tezuka with his UZone gets a 7 in technique possibly, and speed and stamina should be 5.5 both of them. Mental would be a 7 too since he has the mentality of never giving up and of a pro thanks to Volk. Power maybe 5 as Tezuka got stronger in Germany.
There's a lot to digest here.

If his final point against QP is any indication, Oni can possibly stack his 10 in power with his TnK aura. I reckon his starting stats are stronger, too.

Oni needs to work on his horizontal speed, not towards the net. It should be a factor on his rallying but not for returning the ZSS. The spread we see in chapter 356 shows that he has at least a 5 in speed, leveled with Mouri who could return the ZSS and needs to work on the complete opposite, and you have to add TnK's buff on top of it. Surely faster than Yukimura, too. At worst for Oni, him and Tezuka are even in speed, if we are thinking of someone getting an edge in this stat to capitalise and win a point.

Tezuka's been training a lot yes but there's a limit to what you can gain in a week and he was a 4 when he left. Meanwhile Oni has " an inexhaustible supply of stamina... result of steady and honest training." The same spread I mentioned shows he has a 5.5 or a 6, leaning on the latter based on the description.

I reckon Oni beats him in Mental, too. His description talks about it reaching its limit thanks to Ki Jin, it's surely around a 6 (or better) whereas Tezuka sits at 5.

Technique goes to Tezuka, though. Him getting a 7 sounds reasonable enough imo.

So I'm estimating.

TNK + 5/10/6/6/5 (32, 29 without the 10 which puts him only 1 point above Tanegashima)).

TNK + 5/4/5/5/7 (increased his total by 2.5 points and reached 26, same total as Ohmagari and Kaji).

And I think I'm being rather generous with Tezuka, before even thinking about diminishing returns and all.

Tezuka in Day 6 of the camp (the camp itself started in November):

Total: 19
Speed: 3
Power: 3.5
Stamina: 3
Mental: 4.5
Technique: 5

Tezuka in 10.5 (Day 20, having trained with Volk for 2 weeks-ish):

Total: 23.5 (+4.5)
Speed: 4.5
Power: 4
Stamina: 4
Mental: 5
Technique: 6

Current Tezuka (December 1st or earlier, a week later?):

Total: 26 (+2.5)
Speed: 5
Stamina: 5
Technique: 7

At best he may get an extra point in Mental when he played Yukimura, maybe, but even then he's still looking up to Oni in total. I'm more inclined to believe he's at 4.5 in Stamina, even. Going from less than 3 in Speed and Stamina and jumping to 5 in both 4 weeks later is pretty insane.

I think the combo of TnK serve + ZSS does get Tezuka a good bunch of games, but he ultimately falls short just because Oni is a tier or two above him. His odds only get worse if the match is a 3 setter.

Last edited:

mathematicianrcg

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
NGL. When I saw Tezuka Phantom for First time. i am like it is So OP wow.

And then all it took to be broken is a very normal soft shot like Sanada's Forest. Haha.
Anyway, Sanada needed to use both Forest and Lighting to beat Tezuka in Nationals.

For Oni. I dont think he has a soft shot like Forest. So yeah, He will overpower it by power probavly.

Tezuka have Ultimate Zone now though.

The question is how long or short that UZ will be effective against Oni?

Ganonslayer101

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hm, on the other hand, Oni might not need to break the zone completely in order to score?

We've only seen it work horizontally except for Mouri's weak ZSS return and a lob in a chapter I cannot remember (besides anime filler). Never anything like a flat. In fact, Sanada outpowered the zone just using good old Fire back in the Nationals, which forced Tezuka to abandon his strategy and use Hyakuren (only to be struck by Lightning). Oni with his 10 Power in Kijin is much stronger than that, and if Tezuka brings back Hyakuren (which he shouldn't, as he'd lose the Zone) then Oni has the SSS himself in the GJK.

After 20 days in the camp, Sanada got to a 5, only 1 more point than Tezuka... and his Nationals self got that feat with Fire. Now imagine how well a 10 would fare. Granted, this is before the Phantom entered the picture, but it does show Power can bruteforce Tezuka's spin (and it makes sense? Also, the closer you are to the net the wider your hitting angle).

There's a lot to digest here.

If his final point against QP is any indication, Oni can possibly stack his 10 in power with his TnK aura. I reckon his starting stats are stronger, too.

Oni needs to work on his horizontal speed, not towards the net. It should be a factor on his rallying but not for returning the ZSS. The spread we see in chapter 356 shows that he has at least a 5 in speed, leveled with Mouri who could return the ZSS and needs to work on the complete opposite, and you have to add TnK's buff on top of it. Surely faster than Yukimura, too. At worst for Oni, him and Tezuka are even in speed, if we are thinking of someone getting an edge in this stat to capitalise and win a point.

Tezuka's been training a lot yes but there's a limit to what you can gain in a week and he was a 4 when he left. Meanwhile Oni has " an inexhaustible supply of stamina... result of steady and honest training." The same spread I mentioned shows he has a 5.5 or a 6, leaning on the latter based on the description.

I reckon Oni beats him in Mental, too. His description talks about it reaching its limit thanks to Ki Jin, it's surely around a 6 (or better) whereas Tezuka sits at 5.

Technique goes to Tezuka, though. Him getting a 7 sounds reasonable enough imo.

So I'm estimating.

TNK + 5/10/6/6/5 (32, 29 without the 10 which puts him only 1 point above Tanegashima)).

TNK + 5/4/5/5/7 (increased his total by 2.5 points and reached 26, same total as Ohmagari and Kaji).

And I think I'm being rather generous with Tezuka, before even thinking about diminishing returns and all.

Tezuka in Day 6 of the camp (the camp itself started in November):

Total: 19
Speed: 3
Power: 3.5
Stamina: 3
Mental: 4.5
Technique: 5

Tezuka in 10.5 (Day 20, having trained with Volk for 2 weeks-ish):

Total: 23.5 (+4.5)
Speed: 4.5
Stamina: 4
Technique: 6

Current Tezuka (December 1st or earlier, a week later?):

Total: 26 (+2.5)
Speed: 5
Stamina: 5
Technique: 7

At best he may get an extra point in Mental when he played Yukimura, maybe, but even then he's still looking up to Oni in total. I'm more inclined to believe he's at 4.5 in Stamina, even. Going from less than 3 in Speed and Stamina and jumping to 5 in both 4 weeks later is pretty insane.

I think the combo of TnK serve + ZSS does get Tezuka a good bunch of games, but he ultimately falls short just because Oni is a tier or two above him. His odds only get worse if the match is a 3 setter.
But the reason you could break the Zone with a head on attack was because you were hitting it directly back. The goal of the Zone is to draw it towards Tezuka anyway so by hitting it to him with Raw power you could overwhelm him. The phantom pushes it out though so Tezuka doesn't have to contest it. And Oni doesn’t have a shot like Forest to nullify spin.

Also Hyakuren doesn't prevent the Zone, it's the opposite. Yukimura himself says that thevreason Tezuka's hyakuren was useful was because of the Zone when playing Ryoma. He also used it on Volk. He probably didn't use it on Yuki because he doesn't use power shots, which Tezuka dealt with in his match with Chitose.

We also learned through Ryoma v Fuji that SSS shots don't negate heavy spin like Hechatoncheries so BJK nor GJK should stop the UZ

It's likely Oni out stats him by a decent margin, but Oni hasn't shown an out to Tezuka's main strategy while Tezuka can out Oni's playstyle.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
But the reason you could break the Zone with a head on attack was because you were hitting it directly back. The goal of the Zone is to draw it towards Tezuka anyway so by hitting it to him with Raw power you could overwhelm him. The phantom pushes it out though so Tezuka doesn't have to contest it. And Oni doesn’t have a shot like Forest to nullify spin.

Also Hyakuren doesn't prevent the Zone, it's the opposite. Yukimura himself says that thevreason Tezuka's hyakuren was useful was because of the Zone when playing Ryoma. He also used it on Volk. He probably didn't use it on Yuki because he doesn't use power shots, which Tezuka dealt with in his match with Chitose.

We also learned through Ryoma v Fuji that SSS shots don't negate heavy spin like Hechatoncheries so BJK nor GJK should stop the UZ

It's likely Oni out stats him by a decent margin, but Oni hasn't shown an out to Tezuka's main strategy while Tezuka can out Oni's playstyle.
But Fire was managing to make Tezuka move around, it wasn't just through the middle. It didn't completely nullify the Zone but Tezuka had to resort to Hyakuren not long into that rally.

True about Hyakuren + Zone. I was trying to approach it from the logic that you reflect spin and power with it, but I guess the Zone doesn't care about that. Point remains, though.

GJK wouldn't stop the spin but it would be a reflection of an already reflected shot, each time getting increasingly stronger. It's how Ryoma almost dies vs Ludovic. And GJK is pretty deadly on its own since it almost retires Kaji.

Ganonslayer101

Reaction score
Country
United States
But Fire was managing to make Tezuka move around, it wasn't just through the middle. It didn't completely nullify the Zone but Tezuka had to resort to Hyakuren not long into that rally.

True about Hyakuren + Zone. I was trying to approach it from the logic that you reflect spin and power with it, but I guess the Zone doesn't care about that. Point remains, though.

GJK wouldn't stop the spin but it would be a reflection of an already reflected shot, each time getting increasingly stronger. It's how Ryoma almost dies vs Ludovic. And GJK is pretty deadly on its own since it almost retires Kaji.
But Hyakuren already can handle multiple reflections. We saw that in Tezuka v Kabaji

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country

But Hyakuren already can handle multiple reflections. We saw that in Tezuka v Kabaji​

Exactly, Tezuka vs Kabaji is a great example, Mr. Ganon.​

...​

For me.​

Let's first take a look at the stats of both players in 10.5:​

Tezuka​

Total: 23.5​
Speed: 4.5​
Power: 4​
Stamina: 4​
Mental: 5​
Technique: 6​

Kabaji​

Total: 16​
Speed: 1​
Power: 5​
Stamina: 3​
Mental: 4​
Technique: 3​

Tezuka is ahead of absolutely everything except for power, and it was highly likely the same in that match. At the start of the match, when the Kabaji Zone was activated Ryuzaki herself confirmed that Tezuka would lose because of how big Kabaji is.​

And yet, in that match Tezuka managed to get ahead 5-0 thanks to Hyakuren.​

...​

And then what happened, Mr. Ganon?​

KABAJI GOT HYAKUREN HIMSELF AND PRETTY MUCH WON EVERY SINGLE POINT AFTER.​

There's no indication that any of the rallies were long (reminder that, in Ryoma vs Ludovic, the longest reflection we saw was Hope reflecting Ludovic's shot, which Ludovic reflected with the SSS, which Ryoma reflected doing a crazy spin). We don't get to see Tezuka and Kabaji rally much (if at all), all we know is that Kabaji's higher power gives him the advantage.​

Why wouldn't it be the same now? This is a man with a racket specifically designed to practice the SSS.​

And do note that the gap between Oni's power and Tezuka's is much greater than Kabaji's and Tezuka's, and that he's likely ahead in every other stat except for technique, too, Mr. Ganon. If Oni does manage to hit one of his finishers, it might be game over for Tezuka. BJK reflected Momo's power, breaking his wrists, and the upgraded GJK one shot Kaji.​

Also​

Poll is up.​

Ganonslayer101

Reaction score
Country
United States

Exactly, Tezuka vs Kabaji is a great example, Mr. Ganon.​

...​

For me.​

Let's first take a look at the stats of both players in 10.5:​

Tezuka​

Total: 23.5​
Speed: 4.5​
Power: 4​
Stamina: 4​
Mental: 5​
Technique: 6​

Kabaji​

Total: 16​
Speed: 1​
Power: 5​
Stamina: 3​
Mental: 4​
Technique: 3​

Tezuka is ahead of absolutely everything except for power, and it was highly likely the same in that match. At the start of the match, when the Kabaji Zone was activated Ryuzaki herself confirmed that Tezuka would lose because of how big Kabaji is.​

And yet, in that match Tezuka managed to get ahead 5-0 thanks to Hyakuren.​

...​

And then what happened, Mr. Ganon?​

KABAJI GOT HYAKUREN HIMSELF AND PRETTY MUCH WON EVERY SINGLE POINT AFTER.​

There's no indication that any of the rallies were long (reminder that, in Ryoma vs Ludovic, the longest reflection we saw was Hope reflecting Ludovic's shot, which Ludovic reflected with the SSS, which Ryoma reflected doing a crazy spin). We don't get to see Tezuka and Kabaji rally much (if at all), all we know is that Kabaji's higher power gives him the advantage.​

Why wouldn't it be the same now? This is a man with a racket specifically designed to practice the SSS.​

And do note that the gap between Oni's power and Tezuka's is much greater than Kabaji's and Tezuka's, and that he's likely ahead in every other stat except for technique, too, Mr. Ganon. If Oni does manage to hit one of his finishers, it might be game over for Tezuka. BJK reflected Momo's power, breaking his wrists, and the upgraded GJK one shot Kaji.​

Also​

Poll is up.​
I always ust assumed they kept rallying till eventually Kabaji one
But your right we never see a long Rally

This means Oni likely only has to answer phantom which significantly raises his chances

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
I always ust assumed they kept rallying till eventually Kabaji one
But your right we never see a long Rally

This means Oni likely only has to answer phantom which significantly raises his chances
Ngl I was hoping you'd point something out so I could use this other gif

On Phantom, it has this weird thing that most Tezuka moves have: it's OP when it's onscreen, not so much offscreen. Tezuka! Niou got 6 points in a row in the tie-break against Ochi/Mouri to make it 6-6 and says he won't stop using the Phantom, and yet the highschoolers still manage to score through it to get the score to 48-48. Ignoring the fact that Konomi screwed up the serve order here (IIRC, at least) the Phantom had to be broken several times for this to happen (but, of course, we don't get to see it).

EDIT: Checked the match again. Yeah, Tezuka!Niou somehow returns Mach offscreen (and then the MSers win a game in the final set with Niou serving even though Niou couldn't move). Konomi probably screwed it up and hoped no one noticed lol.

ROUND IS OVER

Oni Juujirou

Third round:

I checked the suggestions and picked this one to avoid a repeat. I think Ryoma vs Irie might be too one sided, so I went for a slightly weaker opponent for the Highschooler.

Picture
NameIrie KanataYukimura Seiichi
TitlePierrotChild of God
RankNo. 11No. 2 (Msers)
Height165 cm176 cm
Weight55 kg63 kg
Dominant HandLeftRight
Stat Total2223
Speed64
Power13.5
Stamina23.5
Mental76
Technique66
Techniques / StylesWorld of Ice (Equivalent)
Teni Muhou no Kiwami (bia acting)
Yips
Dream Yips
Mirage Mirror
Zero Senses Tennis
Future Stealing

On their stats I find it noteworthy that Kurobe pointed this out about Irie:

Stamina - 2: With his low stamina, he is unsuited for long, drawn out matches. However, taking into account that even when he forfeited the match against Atobe, it looked as if he still had stamina left to spare. Frankly, it's unfathomable.

Kurobe Memo:
He is fascinated with developing a match by setting up scenes and performances. However, with his current balance, it limits the kinds of opponents he can win against. He really needs to build up his physical side.

And then Konomi had him defeat Date, who has a 5 in Stamina and 6 in Power.

On Yukimura, he broke out of Yips vs Frankensteiner/Volk,and increasingly got better in a pinch in all the matches ever since, so his Mental might be even higher than what was reported. Since his disease is fully healed, I reckon his stamina improved, too. It seemed like he could always do Mirage Mirror so not sure there's a technique development there (you could argue speed, though). No Sense Tennis Zero Senses Tennis seems like a TnK-lite buff rather than a base stat increase.

Poll will be up later.

Last edited:

Tavore

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
England
Irie wins Yukimura even admitted he's weaker than Genius 5 lvl players.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Irie wins Yukimura even admitted he's weaker than Genius 5 lvl players.
Yukimura says in Duke vs Tokugawa that he wants to improve and have that "Singles 1 Japanese representative" level one day. That doesn't really tell us anything about how he would fare against Irie, though, who didn't even attempt to compete for S1.

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Irie’s pseudo TnK doesn’t work against ZST because it basically nullifies it.

On the other hand, it’s not like Irie has anything imo that can shake up Yuki. Yukimura with ZST breaks TnK, Irie doesn’t have anything else aside from that and even if he gets serious Yukimura did give Tezuka a good match, a man who can also beat Irie too.

Yukimura has Mirage Mirror but I doubt how that helps him vs Irie. I reckon that his future gets stolen in the long run because you can’t basically escape from it even if you have high mental (Tezuka also has high mental and fell for it too).

Yukimura wins in the long run, Yips might kick in sooner on later even if Irie activates TnK, but Yukimura has also great defense because he can just return back all of Irie’s shots. He is also more agressive now that he’s fully healed so offensively he has more weapons too.

Yukimura wins this.