Politics - We should abandon school and close them down | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Politics We should abandon school and close them down

ninjabot

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
If we get rid of certain aspects of public schooling, then religion would have a resurgence. Especially in America what with the emboldening of evangelicals lately.

Yeah, that's a no from me. I would like to see mandated classes in skepticism and practical life applications though.

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
If we get rid of certain aspects of public schooling, then religion would have a resurgence. Especially in America what with the emboldening of evangelicals lately.

Yeah, that's a no from me. I would like to see mandated classes in skepticism and practical life applications though.
However, schools did not protect us from conspiracy theories, did they? I don't think they protect us from the worse aspects of religion. Not schools as institution at least.
Possibly hanging out with other teens does. Yes. But there is no school needed for that.

I base most of my ideas on the question of whether it is really school education that gives us the positive aspects we give school credit for or simply what happens around the classes.

Teachers are simply not strong enough to push back against social media. If a teen goes down the rabbit hole, no amount of scepticism classes or teachers debunking theories is going to deter them from that.

To learn scepticism and how to evaluate sources, you sadly need more than classes that teach you that because before a class can have a positive effect, there needs to be a person willing to learn it.
A person who would rather like to delve into a lot of youtube videos is not going to be deterred from that by evidence, no matter how wellpresented.

My whole point is that I think teaching knowledge does not give a lot of value back anymore. Teaching skills and mindset is what we should shoot for, and current schools do not do that. And with mindset, i dont mean lifecoach nonsense. I mean exactly notions like 'i want to be told the truth' or 'I want to find a consensus'.