Shounen - We Never Learn by Taishi Tsutsui | Page 9 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen We Never Learn by Taishi Tsutsui

Which girl will be the 'one'? (or girl X)

• Total voters

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Furuhashi below Ogata? :XD
Really? You disliked it that much?
I legit enjoyed Ogata's arc. I know her friend got the lion's share of panel time, but I felt that it was in service to Ogata's development. Plus, I found the "game" she and Nariyuki were playing was cute and a unique way to start the relationship. And most importantly, I wasn't bored to death for 9 chapters.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
I legit enjoyed Ogata's arc. I know her friend got the lion's share of panel time, but I felt that it was in service to Ogata's development. Plus, I found the "game" she and Nariyuki were playing was cute and a unique way to start the relationship. And most importantly, I wasn't bored to death for 9 chapters.
Sleeping Beauty route served its purpose :p

Personally, my ranking would be:
1.Senpai
2.Furuhashi
3.Ogata
4.Takemoto

Tbh, Furuhashi's route was indeed full of cliches :hmm But Takemoto's route is the worst because honestly, everyone else got shafted. BADLY. Like there was no closure for anyone else (Furuhashi giving up on her feelings etc), so it's the worst offender :noworry

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sleeping Beauty route served its purpose :p

Personally, my ranking would be:
1.Senpai
2.Furuhashi
3.Ogata
4.Takemoto

Tbh, Furuhashi's route was indeed full of cliches :hmm But Takemoto's route is the worst because honestly, everyone else got shafted. BADLY. Like there was no closure for anyone else (Furuhashi giving up on her feelings etc), so it's the worst offender :noworry
Takemoto's arc was bad because, honestly, we should've gotten that flashback early on in the series. It padded out the ending and, while I understand what the author was going for, it really didn't make for a good lead up to a romantic conclusion. We didn't get time to let Nariyuki simmer in his feelings in the present time.

Speaking of closure, everyone's feelings about Nariyuki being addressed in that arc also bogged everything down. It's supposed to be about Takemoto, but Furuhashi finally admitting that she also loves him took time from that arc.

I attribute that to the author attempting to juggle the misdirection of the series having a definite ending and trying to tie off loose ends in the main story. In actuality, given what we've seen, that moment in the cabin with those 3 should've been the moment where the other 2 gave up on him in support of Takemoto. But because the author was still playing the "will they/won't they card" things ended up as they did.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Takemoto's arc was bad because, honestly, we should've gotten that flashback early on in the series. It padded out the ending and, while I understand what the author was going for, it really didn't make for a good lead up to a romantic conclusion. We didn't get time to let Nariyuki simmer in his feelings in the present time.
Also the ghost shenanigans were well......ridiculous :oh That's a big part of what ruined the three routes before the Senpai one for me. I even remember some people joking that we'd see Asumi's father as a ghost in her route :XD Thank goodness that did not happen....

Speaking of closure, everyone's feelings about Nariyuki being addressed in that arc also bogged everything down. It's supposed to be about Takemoto, but Furuhashi finally admitting that she also loves him took time from that arc.
It was only Furuhashi who admitted her feelings. Both Senpai and Sensei's big moments that arc were helping him get to an airport......honestly very silly writing in hindsight.

I attribute that to the author attempting to juggle the misdirection of the series having a definite ending and trying to tie off loose ends in the main story. In actuality, given what we've seen, that moment in the cabin with those 3 should've been the moment where the other 2 gave up on him in support of Takemoto. But because the author was still playing the "will they/won't they card" things ended up as they did.

Admittedly, even as an Asumi fan, I think the girl who was supposed to win was Furuhashi. Like, just look at those two panels. They have more emotional weight than all the other girls in the series.
I like the multiple routes thing but if the author was going to make it one girl, it should have been Fumino. And I don't even like her that much :nah

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Also the ghost shenanigans were well......ridiculous :oh That's a big part of what ruined the three routes before the Senpai one for me. I even remember some people joking that we'd see Asumi's father as a ghost in her route :XD Thank goodness that did not happen....
I think the ghost dad is overblown. It didn't bother me as much as the flashback.

It was only Furuhashi who admitted her feelings. Both Senpai and Sensei's big moments that arc were helping him get to an airport......honestly very silly writing in hindsight.
I meant then all realizing that they love the same boy. After Takemoto revealed that she confessed first, the others should've stepped back.

Admittedly, even as an Asumi fan, I think the girl who was supposed to win was Furuhashi. Like, just look at those two panels. They have more emotional weight than all the other girls in the series.
I like the multiple routes thing but if the author was going to make it one girl, it should have been Fumino. And I don't even like her that much
The first page is what I'm talking about. That was chapter 2 and 3 of Takemoto's ending and we were just then addressing the fact that they all didn't know they liked the same boy. Had nothing to do with Takemoto and Nariyuki themselves.

As for Fumino and emotional weight, eh, it's subjective. I also don't think any were confirmation of her being endgame. Personally, I think Ogata's mini arc with her Grandma and self esteem were the highlights of the main trio. After that, Asumi's mini arc with coming to grips with the hospital potentially closing got to me as well.

Also, reading Asumi's chapter again, I just noticed that they pictures of their date to the theme park, meaning that those are their first legit relationship photos instead of the fake ones they did for her dad.

Last edited:

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pardon my French, but I'm all f**king in on this route.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Not really a fan so far. The game stuff feels like something that would be in Rizu's route. Also, there is too much happening all at once with the other side characters :nah

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not really a fan so far. The game stuff feels like something that would be in Rizu's route. Also, there is too much happening all at once with the other side characters :nah
It's definitely not popping immediately like Asumi's, but I'm still giving it some time.

The game was also a callback to that student/teacher shojo she had confiscated that one chapter I believe.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
The game was also a callback to that student/teacher shojo she had confiscated that one chapter I believe.
Oh, had she shown an interest in games before? I don't remember the shojo thing at all :hmm

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, had she shown an interest in games before? I don't remember the shojo thing at all :hmm
The shojo was in chapter 84.

As for the game, I took that as her choosing a more interactive means of learning how to use deal with men rather than just reading, which is what she'd usually do. It still within character as she's attempting to cram and understand something she doesn't.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Sensei's route isn't going as hard as Asumi's did early on, but it's still enjoyable enough. This was a cute chapter. I like that they've been doing things that they've imagined at one point or another throughout the series, like sitting in the tub together.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Sensei's route isn't going as hard as Asumi's did early on, but it's still enjoyable enough. This was a cute chapter. I like that they've been doing things that they've imagined at one point or another throughout the series, like sitting in the tub together.
The kiss was adorable.

But the fake couple stuff.... :notamused
Felt too much like Asumi all over again. The silver lining is that it was resolved in a chapter. Though yeah, the route is not really as enjoyable as the previous one so far.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
But the fake couple stuff.... :notamused
Felt too much like Asumi all over again. The silver lining is that it was resolved in a chapter. Though yeah, the route is not really as enjoyable as the previous one so far.
Yeah, that was the blemish on an otherwise decent chapter. I was raking my mind for any sort of justification, but I couldn't even come up with one.

Would've been better if Sensei outright rejected the dating proposal. Then the aunt and niece would come over to ask what Sensei is looking for in a man and she'd basically describes Yuiga, who'd also be there due to shenanigans.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Hmm.....

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thought this was a cute chapter. Loved the Male Teachers, lol.

Going by what he said earlier in this path (chasing and never catching up), it seems like Yuiga chose to become a History Teacher to follow Kirisu. Yuiga was straight tot he point, which is good, but this puts the ball in Kirisu's choice, which she'll probably reject. Probably a mix of her worrying about their previous situation and her probably feeling bad about dating her teacher's kid.

Last edited:

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Haven't read the chapter yet, but I stumbled upon this in reddit:

Sensei seems to be insanely popular on there :lmao

Thought this was a cute chapter. Loved the Male Teachers, lol.
There was a similar chapter a while back where they were all at the beach, and Yuiga had to hide Kirisu from the teachers since she had lost her bra :lmao

About the chapter, yep. NOW this was solid all through :p Even I can put aside my senpai bias to give credit where it's due. It felt very adult (Even with the class trip), which is what I feel was lacking in this arc a lot.
That confession on the last page. I was expecting him to wuss his way out and cover it up with some excuse. Major props for manning up and admitting outright how he feels.
Also, it isn't a good sensei chapter without an ass shot :loool

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Didn't think we'd zip by the initial meeting and the reason for Yuiga's love for her that quickly, but I like it. Also like that her being a teacher wasn't the only reason for her holding off. She has some legit emotional issues she needs to work through since she can't let anyone in. I didn't think it was as serious as it is apparently. The series never really played it up like that.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Actually a decent chapter tbh. Was Miharu implying she has feelings for Yuiga too? That part seemed strangely suspicious to me :mono

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually a decent chapter tbh. Was Miharu implying she has feelings for Yuiga too? That part seemed strangely suspicious to me :mono
Yuiga implied that she knew Kirisu was around. And the scene at the end showed that she was whispering encouragement to him when she leaned in to "kiss" him.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Yuiga implied that she knew Kirisu was around. And the scene at the end showed that she was whispering encouragement to him when she leaned in to "kiss" him.
Aaaaah, I thought that she was implying she had grown feelings for him too. Considering how he helped her get over her fear/dislike of men. But your explanation makes more sense :verily

This route is actually......getting better with time :blink Color me impressed.
Currently it is shaping up to be a far better route than Fumino's. Can see it being the second best route by the end.
Very, very good chapter.