OS - War of Operating Systems | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

OS War of Operating Systems

zelllogan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
For me , golden rule: never install a whole new os. Wait for the first service packs ...
More & more IT societies are using clients as guinea pigs. We are the real beta testers.

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
For me , golden rule: never install a whole new os. Wait for the first service packs ...
More & more IT societies are using clients as guinea pigs. We are the real beta testers.
I actually remember this rule - :3c.
I've had less and less problems with the new Microsoft OS's from the olden days.

TStew

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been a Microsoft user since my first computer. I know its not popular but my favorite windows was Me. I didnt have all the problems that nearly everyone else did in the whole world with it
but it was a pre-release edition not sure if it differed any from the final product. Anyhow I had that thing tweaked and hacked perfectly. Also liked 2000, but nothing really after that.

I messed with linux a bit here and there, setup a webserver for several years running CentOS. Never was very proficient with linux though and kind of forgot about it. Well when my last windows laptop died and I decided to build a new desktop I went back to linux... running Ubuntu 12.04 currently. Still learning things, but surprised just what I've been able to do all legitimately free.

Been over a year I've been microsoft free now.

Last edited:

Etikp

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Aruba
I have used android, Microsoft and Linux only out of which i found android convenient for me.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I love Android OS, if there was a desktop version of the OS, I would gladly install it.

I have used Apple's iOS throughout my years in college and uni for graphic design and had gotten used to switching between that and Windows for everything else, but after I was done, I never really revisited the former operating system and don't really miss it. One of the reasons I believe I've stucked with Microsoft and plan to, instead of switching over to Apple is because of convenience and the fact that I'm used to it.

That reason applies to many of Windows users, I believe and I don't want to begin learning new tricks now while I still have no huge issues with my currents ones; so to speak :XD. Maybe one day, but I'm happy now.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
I've been a Microsoft user since my first computer. I know its not popular but my favorite windows was Me. I didnt have all the problems that nearly everyone else did in the whole world with it
but it was a pre-release edition not sure if it differed any from the final product. Anyhow I had that thing tweaked and hacked perfectly. Also liked 2000, but nothing really after that.

I messed with linux a bit here and there, setup a webserver for several years running CentOS. Never was very proficient with linux though and kind of forgot about it. Well when my last windows laptop died and I decided to build a new desktop I went back to linux... running Ubuntu 12.04 currently. Still learning things, but surprised just what I've been able to do all legitimately free.

Been over a year I've been microsoft free now.
That's awesome...I use dual boot, win7 and Ubuntu 12.04 (cuz 13.XX sux)...ubuntu is super awesome for daily stuff like browsing the net, using documents, reading, etc...but it's such a pain when you are trying to play games, or try to use plug and play devices (that would usually work with windows)

I love Ubuntu, and I wouldn't go back to windows 8, even if paid...

TStew

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's awesome...I use dual boot, win7 and Ubuntu 12.04 (cuz 13.XX sux)...ubuntu is super awesome for daily stuff like browsing the net, using documents, reading, etc...but it's such a pain when you are trying to play games, or try to use plug and play devices (that would usually work with windows)

I love Ubuntu, and I wouldn't go back to windows 8, even if paid...
I don't play much games anymore so thats not a prob, though there are a few. The device compatibility I thought would be a problem. a couple big stumbling blocks for me off the bat where no Netflix support or blu-ray but since I've been using it I've figured out how to get both working. Only thing that remains are phone and gps support. I'm in the market for a new phone soon, and have no idea if maybe some of the newer ones will work with linux. Also I have heard others got garmin to interface, but I havent really tried to figure that out yet (I have a handheld Oregon when I hike, and a Forerunner when I am running I like to collect and record the data from).

Even though the software is much more limited in Linux, I've found its had most of what I need for usual stuff, and the free stuff works a lot better than the free stuff for windows which is usually full of adware/spyware too. I've not had to run any virus protection or firewall whatsoever and visit any site so far without any worries. I like how to get any software I've needed I just click the button in their software center and it downloads and installs it all with no hassle. It just works. I do a lot of media stuff, I can rip anything including blurays, record streamin music and video from youtube or anywhere, picture editing even RAW editing from my dSLR, graphics stuff with the gimp (made my sig pic in linux), etc.

I've heard many don't like the Unity interface, as its kind of window-esque or slow or something. I don't mind it at all but have debated trying some others that have been talked about like Cinnamon http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-cinnamon.html for example.

Last edited:

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Even though the software is much more limited in Linux, I've found its had most of what I need for usual stuff, and the free stuff works a lot better than the free stuff for windows which is usually full of adware/spyware too. I've not had to run any virus protection or firewall whatsoever and visit any site so far without any worries. I like how to get any software I've needed I just click the button in their software center and it downloads and installs it all with no hassle. It just works. I do a lot of media stuff, I can rip anything including blurays, record streamin music and video from youtube or anywhere, picture editing even RAW editing from my dSLR, graphics stuff with the gimp (made my sig pic in linux), etc.
Yup...virus protection and basically and other program that in windows it starts on startup, just uses memory, memory that you could otherwise use for other applications...

I don't use the software center, instead I used apt-get to install my software from terminal...so much faster than anything I've experienced on Windows...
But I don't use Linux for media...driver support is unfortunately better for Windows in this area, and so is the software...but I do use it as a developer, and PHP is just so much easier to use in Linux, and the IDEs are faster too...
I've heard many don't like the Unity interface, as its kind of window-esque or slow or something. I don't mind it at all but have debated trying some others that have been talked about like Cinnamon http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-cinnamon.html for example.
The problem with unity is that it's ugly and it's not customizable so that people can make it a bit more decent...I used it until I discovered Cinnamon, and I always hid the taskbar, because it was ugly :D

TStew

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ahh nice so your familiar with cinnamon... perhaps I'll get around to trying it sometime soon then. But I have no issues with unity and I wouldnt know an ugly taskbar from a pretty one lol

I'm not so great with linux command line, but I have done apt get a lot too. One thing I like the software center for is just seeing whats available... I mean all I do is click the icon and type something like 'raw' and in one second I have a several applications that are for raw image editing in a list with ratings and reviews and with a click or two I can peruse the various options. Apt get you already need to know what you want to get, which I, well, usually have no clue until I see whats available and try a few. :hmm

p.s. one current issue I unfortunately have though is the 'thanks' and 'like' arent working on my linux box. Any clues benelori?

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Windows XP and Windows 7 are sugoi. iOS is decent.