Discussion - Valentines Day in Japan. | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Valentines Day in Japan.

Meijin no Kori

Skullman210 said:
I heard something else called gold day,what is it? I heard it from some show.(cant remember want show though.)
You mean Golden Week? That's basically Japan's version of Spring Break.

Skullman210

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Oh my fault. Thats cool

I remember where i heard that from. Detective Conan

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
For manga readers Golden Week is also a week of total torture as it also means no manga whatsoever T_T

Predator

Scientist of Anthropology
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
Gold Knight said:
For manga readers Golden Week is also a week of total torture as it also means no manga whatsoever T_T
But the New Year is the same!

And I thought that the Golden Week is just temporarly, because two holidays and emperors birthday come together. Could that be that I'm wrong? :shakefist

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Maybe we need a Golden Week thread :oh

I'll ask Taylor to fill us in sometimes.

vlado

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Well for valentine's day i payed a guy to deliver flowers to my girlfriend *yes i'm still in highschool :D* *actualy they where roses , read and white , they ripped my wallet in two , but i love her so.. :) , she deserves them :)* , and during History class the guy entered the room , and say'd he had flowers for a lovely lady...
Everybody was like "wow" , she smiled and all the kisses after class....*ufff i love valentine's day :D* but the funny thing is that my best friend gut dumped during history class beacause of my flower gift :)
She said look how romantic :) , and then says but why did you only buy me a stupid litle bracelat *i payed the equivalent of 60$ for the flowers , so yes they where verry expensive:) , here in romania it's preaty much to , the lowest salaty is about 50-60$ , so you can imagine :D *.
The thing is that my bud's girlfriend *the one that dumped him when the guy delivered the flowers from me to my girlfriend in class to surprise her* punched him in the face :))
And now my best bud hates me :)) , but hey , i still have my girlfriend :)

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
^ I get the feeling that you are happy :p

Haha, that's crazy. Well, doesn't seem like your best bud's gf liked him much anyway.

vlado

Reaction score
Really em' :) , she's an extraordinary girl , and it's actualy ironical beacause my bud and his girlfriend had a verry good realashionship compared to some friends of mine , but i laughed my ass of when his nose started bleading and the History teacher sent them out of class , beacause they where ruening the class :)
It's lucky that my card on the flowers after the poem *yes i'm a poet to :)* -and you ask from who?from the guy that loves you , in romanian , but it rimes better... :D-
And the profesor didn't reallise it's me hihihi :)

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Well, i wouldn't be so happy if you got in an argument with my (best) friend, but he's indeed wrong to point his anger to you if, his gf was greedy... ;)
Though it isn't very nice to laugh about it...
Hahaha, that would be so great to have seen... Hit right in the face? Kukukuku [orochimaru laugh]

Pazuzu

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Thanks, Pazzy. That helps. ( Of course, why didn't I think of referring to wikipedia in the first place...! )

rapdroopy

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
yo in france we have the 14 february to celebrate "la Saint Valentin " both male and female give present .
but i never know this :crying :crying because french girls want expensive presents so i break before :smoke
*i payed the equivalent of 60$ for the flowers
i don't want that :rant
in france i haven' t find a simple girl :reject who loves manga and rap at the same time :headscratch :headscratch
tcho :bye

Macan

Reaction score
Well, in Malaysia some people celebrate Valentine's day just to make profit from it (selling flowers, chocolate etc.), some celebrate it just for fun, some take Valentine's Day seriously and some don't even bother to celebrate (I'm in this category). For me, I rather spend my money to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday (not much, just buy some affordable/cheap gift will be more than enough. She don't mind, that's why I like her :smile-big). Or maybe I just spend my money buying manga, that will be much better. :eyeroll

Sky Shadow

Reaction score
I'm from North Carolina (not like that really matters I guess), but there really isn't a certain way we do Valentines Day. I do remember in Elementary school we would decorate brown paper lunch bags and set them on our desk. Then we would all line up and place those little Valentine cards into each bag with a lolly pop or some small candy. (the Valentine cards would look like this http://img-nex.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/11670.JPG but you would buy your favorite show )
In middle school the school would sell roses and you could go and order one to be sent to your friend or loved one in the school. They had little poems/sayings that came with them. I remember it was a big deal to get one, but I wasn't all that into it. Now in high school they do the same thing, but the chorus class sings you a song that the sender picks. It's really embarrassing to get one. xD
But it's funny to watch the person that gets the flower sink down into their desk and pretend that they're not there. I just send one or two to my friends because I know that they'd die of embarrassment. I also get chocolates/candy from my mom. I'll go and buy her something that we both like so that I can steal the candy when she's not looking. D:>

eQuek

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
In Sweden we celebrate Valentines day as most other European countries do. Give gifts, mostly chocolate, roses, jewelery etc.
In my previous school we kinda changed the theme from love to more friendship. We had a theme day filled with different things concering love/friendship. Like writing poetry, debating, learning to know other people better and so on.
We also had these squares on the floor made of tape and when two or more people entered it they had to hug.

triniman121

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
i like the Japanese way of valentines day...more fitting. but i don't really like that day it's pointless even though i do it anyway

kadodo

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Haiti
It will be cool if I was in Japan because Valentine's day is my birthday. I will not only get chocolate but other stuff too. If u know what i mean!

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Poland
I really like the Japanese version of Valentines day, and that it is divided in two days, not one xD Firstly i discovered how it's goind by reading manga hyhy :D

About Poland, here is nothing special. Boys are giving some presents to girls and vice versa. But 7/8 years ago, when i was in primary school, it was mainly boys giving something to girls. Probably, because in Poland it was quesite new ^^

cherryenchanted

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I know it's really late for me to reply in this thread, since March 14 has already passed..but still I want to give my opinion...

I like this kind of celebration in Japan, where girls give guys chocolates or any present...they call it "White Day"...since is just so common that guys mostly gives chocolates or flowers to girls they like or to their loved ones...Here in Philippines, we do celebrate Valentine's Day on Feb.14, as other country also...wherein most guy do really give gifts to the girl they like...but nowadays, I think both the guy & the girl just do exchange gifts to express their love or thanks...and I think Valentine's Day is not just for couples but family, friends & all people who feels loved always!!!