Discussion - Unpopular Opinions | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Unpopular Opinions

WoWfan

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
my problem is that there is no mystery left any more to explore and it just feels like filler, it also ruins what the adventure of FT is suppose to be, an eternal mystery, do fairies have tails? no body knows.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
END is unlikely ever going to be a thing again because the seed is destroyed. The seed only grows when Natsu doubts his humanity, and Natsu is pretty dead set on being human. Also, Lucy rewrote the book based on what she remembers of Natsu. I do believe that Lucy probably became the anchor of Natsu's life instead of Zeref when she did that, but only time will tell. There was an interesting concept where maybe END's power lived inside of Lucy, but then Gray went ahead and killed that idea.

Vis

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Strauss family is completely useless. Lisanna should've never came back. Elfman is sssssssooooooofffffffffftttttt. And Mira is strong cause the author said so, but other than that she doesn't accomplish much.
Quite bold to post something so aggressive against the Strauss Siblings on here, lol.

A couple more I remember:
I would have preferred it if they disbanded but still kept their 'bonds'. Lucy living alone in Crocus, left behind in the good old days just makes me doubt the whole 'we're a family business'. Erza, Gray, Juvia, Wendy or even Mirajane could have asked her to go with them and I'm sure she would not have said no. It's like when Natsu left, they just didn't care about her anymore.

Gray is about as bad a fuckboy can get, leading on Juvia like that by living with her then leaving without so much as an excuse why he's leaving. He could've at least lied to not have her waiting for him outside in the rain, worried the whole time. He could've at least saved her from that. I see no justifiable excuses for what he did.

It would be interesting to see Lucy as a villain more than Natsu with the whole END business. Her personality would make it hurt more.

grey matter

Reaction score
Country
India
1) DiMaria was never that interesting and Age Seal is a boring form of Time Magic
2) None of the Spriggans barring Brandish are that sympathetic, and even Brandish is meh to me - they all agreed to the genocide of Ishgar so fuck em
3) Gajevy feels like a really, really weird ship to me given how Gajeel literally crucified her back in Phantom, and I dislike JerZa for the same sentiment (not the biggest fan of GruVia either due to the stalker-based foundations)
4) The Spriggans were not the most fucked over villains, that sad honour goes to GMG Sabertooth
5) Mira's a really boring character, I haven't found her anywhere near as interesting since her reveal in Fighting Festival
6) Etherious are way cooler than Dragons
(Not sure if the next one is actually unpopular but it is among most of my MH friends)
7) Jellal's depression doesn't bother me in that I think it fits him - the dude did enslave his best friends, attempt to kill Natsu + Erza and them murder Simon. It would be strange if he wasn't traumatised (like I said though, not a fan of how he's constantly used for JerZa).
We're on the same wavelength for the most part lol

1. Agree! Not sure if it's unpopular lol

2. They're villains lol. Moreover, they didn't seem too enthusiastic about it, they just obey what their emperor told them to.

3. Agree completely about Gajeel x Levy, and Gray x Juvia. Jellal x Erza is different, because it started back when Jellal was a good guy who lead the rebellion against the cultists. The reason Jellal became evil to begin with, was because he went for Erza and took her place; and Erza knows that Jellal was possessed as well. It's completely different from Gajeel case.

4. Sabertooth didn't have nearly as much hype as Spriggans.

5. AGREE! Never cared for her, she was just........there (irrelevant). Now I'm beginning to dislike her because of massive wank

6. Agree lol

7. He's still a bland and boring character now. I hope WW makes the guy snap, and makes him go berserk...bring some life and excitement to his character. Bring out the TOH Jellal, make him use his dark magics, elemental etc
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

1) Jellal deserves to die for what he did to Simon. Life for a life , that's how it works.

2) Acnologia was a useless character with no personality apart from "hurr durr destruction !!" He didn't destroy shit in the end , lol , not even a single person was killed :yodawg

3) It was a stupid idea to make Zeref emperor of Alvarez when he was portrayed as a guy who used to wander the Earth. It made his cults , Grimoire Heart and Tartaros look like absolute retards since he was hiding in plain sight lmao.

4) Gildarts , in the few appearances he makes , is more likeable as a character than the other guildmates.

5) Laxus wouldn't have oneshotted Ajeel as everyone thinks.

Yeah you just took the words out of my mouth. Actually , Mashima had apparently planned Jellal to die at the hands of Future Rogue which would've prompted Ultear to use her spell , but later scrapped that idea.
Acno killed God Serena though :feelsbadman

Completely agreed about Zeref being emperor.
This and END retconn came out of nowhere, and it fucking sucked!

Orion

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Awe :feelsbadman

Well, Wendy is the ultimate plot device, asspulls more than Plotsu and Plotza, and she completely destroyed any lingering sense or danger/tension within the series
In a series with several plot devices and many asspulls, it becomes pick your favorite one, lol.

Ebony Maw

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
2. They're villains lol. Moreover, they didn't seem too enthusiastic about it, they just obey what their emperor told them to.
That's exactly why I find them unsympathetic. "Just following orders" has never been a good excuse.

IDK, its just a lot of people seem to hold Brandish and Irene as sympathetic characters... and while I can understand that their backstories are sad (outright tragic in the case of Irene), they are very rarely criticised for the fact that they were going along with the genocide of Ishgar - something completely unnecessary.
3. Agree completely about Gajeel x Levy, and Gray x Juvia. Jellal x Erza is different, because it started back when Jellal was a good guy who lead the rebellion against the cultists. The reason Jellal became evil to begin with, was because he went for Erza and took her place; and Erza knows that Jellal was possessed as well. It's completely different from Gajeel case.
Fair point on JerZa but something still rubs me wrong about it.
4. Sabertooth didn't have nearly as much hype as Spriggans.
Ehhhh....

I mean they got less actual build-up but think of it this way - we are told they are the strongest guild in Fiore, but their record is awful:

- Yukino and her 13th Key getting stomped hard by a sheathed Archenemy
- Orga getting instantly one-shotted by Jura and never getting an actual fight outside of one-shotting a fodder (one-shotting fodder isn't impressive)
- Sting and Rogue get wrecked in Base, still don't really do much in Drives and got stomped by Base Natsu despite them being in Dragon Force and the fight being a 2 vs 1... that is some next level BS

Rufus and Minerva are the only two in GMG that didn't outright suck. And Rufus is basically a background character after GMG finishes, so I'm not sure if he's an exception because he got screwed over hard in the long run.
5. AGREE! Never cared for her, she was just........there (irrelevant). Now I'm beginning to dislike her because of massive wank
I hate to say it but that last part is what I'm struggling with - I don't want to dislike a character due to battle forums but god damn.

Tbh I also just find her personality bland.
7. He's still a bland and boring character now. I hope WW makes the guy snap, and makes him go berserk...bring some life and excitement to his character. Bring out the TOH Jellal, make him use his dark magics, elemental etc
I definitely agree in wanting him to pull out his old Magics because they were fucking awesome. Like, I love Heavenly Body Magic but the guy is a supposed Magical genius, would be nice to see other techniques more often. 100YQ has me optimistic with the return of Bind Snake but I'm not holding my breath. A return of TOH Jellal would be cool too, though it would need to be handled perfectly (would also prefer it to be unrelated to JerZa if possible).

Disagree on him being bland and boring though. That said, I will admit that he seems almost out of place in a manga like Fairy Tail - everyone else (including villains + former villains) are usually characters that bring some liveliness to the story whereas Jellal changes the atmosphere to be more (at least IMO)... introspective? I think it says a lot that in 100YQ everyone has seemingly moved on except him, though evidently that's a good thing for Ishgar as a whole since there are still threats out there. If only Mashima would let him succeed in dealing with them...

Personally that's what I like about Jellal though, Fairy Tail is full of vibrant and joyous characters which sometimes grates on my mood, but Jellal's a character that's very toned down in comparison. Plus this Jellal gave us the "I'm going to commit one last sin" moment vs Neinhart... and then Hiro ruined it by having him survive. A guy wearing plate armour survived bloodlusted Jellal's Grand Chariot and somehow didn't drown... Thinking about it that may have been one of the first moments where Alvarez arc started dip in quality.

grey matter

Reaction score
Country
India
That's exactly why I find them unsympathetic. "Just following orders" has never been a good excuse.

IDK, its just a lot of people seem to hold Brandish and Irene as sympathetic characters... and while I can understand that their backstories are sad (outright tragic in the case of Irene), they are very rarely criticised for the fact that they were going along with the genocide of Ishgar - something completely unnecessary.

Fair point on JerZa but something still rubs me wrong about it.

Ehhhh....

I mean they got less actual build-up but think of it this way - we are told they are the strongest guild in Fiore, but their record is awful:

- Yukino and her 13th Key getting stomped hard by a sheathed Archenemy
- Orga getting instantly one-shotted by Jura and never getting an actual fight outside of one-shotting a fodder (one-shotting fodder isn't impressive)
- Sting and Rogue get wrecked in Base, still don't really do much in Drives and got stomped by Base Natsu despite them being in Dragon Force and the fight being a 2 vs 1... that is some next level BS

Rufus and Minerva are the only two in GMG that didn't outright suck. And Rufus is basically a background character after GMG finishes, so I'm not sure if he's an exception because he got screwed over hard in the long run.

I hate to say it but that last part is what I'm struggling with - I don't want to dislike a character due to battle forums but god damn.

Tbh I also just find her personality bland.

I definitely agree in wanting him to pull out his old Magics because they were fucking awesome. Like, I love Heavenly Body Magic but the guy is a supposed Magical genius, would be nice to see other techniques more often. 100YQ has me optimistic with the return of Bind Snake but I'm not holding my breath. A return of TOH Jellal would be cool too, though it would need to be handled perfectly (would also prefer it to be unrelated to JerZa if possible).

Disagree on him being bland and boring though. That said, I will admit that he seems almost out of place in a manga like Fairy Tail - everyone else (including villains + former villains) are usually characters that bring some liveliness to the story whereas Jellal changes the atmosphere to be more (at least IMO)... introspective? I think it says a lot that in 100YQ everyone has seemingly moved on except him, though evidently that's a good thing for Ishgar as a whole since there are still threats out there. If only Mashima would let him succeed in dealing with them...

Personally that's what I like about Jellal though, Fairy Tail is full of vibrant and joyous characters which sometimes grates on my mood, but Jellal's a character that's very toned down in comparison. Plus this Jellal gave us the "I'm going to commit one last sin" moment vs Neinhart... and then Hiro ruined it by having him survive. A guy wearing plate armour survived bloodlusted Jellal's Grand Chariot and somehow didn't drown... Thinking about it that may have been one of the first moments where Alvarez arc started dip in quality.
2. Yeah, it' baffling that Brandish is considered as 'sympathetic' . She just betrayed her empire, that raised her when she was an orphan, taught her magic and gave her a high standing; cause Lucy's mother was her mother's friend; and Layla didn't kill her mother (I've no idea how retarded you have to be, to believe that story lmao). Jut another pathetic traitor.

As much as I hate Eileen, I can understand how people consider her sympathetic. Her mind was fucked by 400 years of being a dragon lol.

3. Jerza is the best 'canon' ship in the series for me (unpopular opinion right here lmao). Because Erza stuck by her man even through all his low points, and gave him a second chance when she found out he's really trying to redeem himself. She probably has some guilt as well, because she knows the reason he got possessed was because he took her place in the torture chamber.

4. Agree lol. I still think Spriggans were fucked over more, because the 'regular' Spriggans were all hyped up to God Serena who's hyped to be Gildarts level (depends on if you buy it or not lol), but they were being taken down like flies by our 'good guys' after training for JUST ONE YEAR.
By hype fail, it's Spriggans > 9 Demon Gates > Sabertooth for me. the rest of the villains lived upto their hype.

5. It just happens lol

7. That's all fine and dandy if his character kinda evolved over time, and we were shown him trying to make up for his sins. Point: the guy barely gets any screentime, and the time he gets he is brooding, boring and uses freaking grand chariot (again!) The guy and his guild didn't even get to MEET Zeref in the end, after all that talk. Instead he met Acnologia lmfao

For me. Alverez went down the moment God Serena was taken down, after all that hype, after all that anticipation since the beginning of the series (WIZARD SAINT NUMBAA ONE). He IS the most wasted character in the entire damn series, along with GOI 2-3. Everything since then was just trash.
-Jellal one shotting Neinhart was underwhelming, the guy didn't even put up a fight. wtf? He just got one shotted.
-Bradman's kill was fucked over by whoreleen.
-God Serena 2.0 was nerfed, so we couldn't get a Serena vs Gildarts greatness.
-Invel's ice lock failure (wOnT bReAk UnTiL oNe Of YoU DiE)
- END vs Gray being stopped by friendship bullshit
-Human Eileen being overwhelmed by injured Erza solo, after all that hype. Dragon Eileen one shot by Erza with broken bones
-Larcade defeated by Sabertooth after hyping him to be ultimate weapon against Acno!
-August being retarded and committing suicide.
I probably missed something lol

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
People usually call Zeref's 12 shields "Spriggan", but I think I go with Twelve. (going with what they refer to themselves as in the JP ver)

Kouichi

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Estonia
Sho and Wally should have meet Jellal and Erza, and deal with their issues about what happened in ToH.

Richard and Wally should have spotted each other. I know they're irrelevant but that guy needs a break too especially since he's the first one to get redeemed on OS.

Will be added more.

Mystogan should have gotten his own spinoff :-_-:-_-

Last edited:

Karna

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
You know, I just wish us, Gray and Mira,a, fans would just get along.

Hiro should have developed more Gray and Mira interaction, it's such a missed opportunity that he forgot that the two got demon themes.

I also ship GrayMi.

grey matter

Reaction score
Country
India
Unpopular fucking opinion here! (I'm probably gonna get eaten here lmao)

Mira is fucking irrelevant, hasn't gotten a major on screen fight since Tartarus, and yet is the most wanked character in the entire damn series. I hope she gets fodderized ON SCREEN :feelsgoodman

You know, I just wish us, Gray and Mira,a, fans would just get along.
Not even a Gray fan lmao.
I'm just someone who hates bullshit wank

Orion

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Unpopular fucking opinion here! (I'm probably gonna get eaten here lmao)

Mira is fucking irrelevant, hasn't gotten a major on screen fight since Tartarus, and yet is the most wanked character in the entire damn series. I hope she gets fodderized ON SCREEN :feelsgoodman

Not even a Gray fan lmao.
I'm just someone who hates bullshit wank
Mira cult: