Useful - Translating Manga for Beginners | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Useful Translating Manga for Beginners

Niffer

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many people want to translate manga but there is not much information on how to start translating manga. This series looks at different aspects of translating manga for beginners, with the aim of helping you be a great manga translation and improve the overall quality of manga translation online.

Part 1: Resources
Part 2: Translating SFX (Sound Effects)
Part 3: Good Manga Translation
Part 4: Translating Accents
Part 5: Formatting Translations in Word Files

This series is not a definite guide and lot of it involves finding your own style and flow and resources.

Do you find any of this useful?
If there anything missing or other topics I could talk about?

For the more advanced manga translators: What's your advice for beginner manga translators?

AnimeFangirl

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Very interesting series. The post on translating accents alone is really useful, though it would have been even better if you'd given some more examples on accented Japanese and how you would have translated them. It's best not to go so overboard with accents that people can't understand what the characters are saying (see the DS localization of Dragon Quest IV for how not to do it) but the DQ series in general is a good place to look for how to translate accents. Top-notch work, IMO.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Cynistar

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm very late to the thread... but this post is a huge help. Thanks a bunch!

Ninjaz

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Mannn, this was super useful. Especially the part about accents. I've always been awful at that.
And, Part 3 also had some great tips.

martin900

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Shoot! I'm super late in this thread now that Jtalkonline is on hiatus for who knows how long. Does anybody has an alternative link to the series? Or maybe somebody lucky enough to save the series in their harddisk? Share puleeeze?

Thanks to Niffer the OP.