Theory - Tokugawa as original No. 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Tokugawa as original No. 4

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
More or less a random thought really, but I could see Tokugawa being the original No. 4 of the 1st String.

I guess the first assumption to make here is that they didn't ditch a random guy somewhere in Korea, but that it was really only 18 players leaving for the exhibition matches. While Kurobe originally said it had been 20, we already know that this is false after Tanegashima was revealed as No. 2.

Now with that out of the way, the outstanding HSers in the camp were Tanegashima, Tokugawa, Oni and Irie. Tanegashima was revealed as No. 2, Oni as No. 5 and Irie was said to have a spot by Akiba, leaving only Tokugawa.

One thing to note here is that Oni apparently resigned, which resulted in Kaji taking his place. Tanegashima on the other hand simply didn't go and they left his spot empty.
We know that Irie, should he have had a spot, also resigned, so if he was the No. 4, he should have been replaced as well (i.e. it's not him). Tokugawa on the other hand is clearly displayed as strong, yet we haven't really gotten an explanation for why he isn't a 1st Stringer, aside from possibly that he didn't get the No. 1 spot and was salty.

There's also still the thing I brought up a few weeks ago that he (and Irie) are displayed with the rest of the top 10 before the start of the current matches.

That's about it I guess. I suppose it's somewhat optimistic to expect an explanation for the original No. 4, but if we get one, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Kazuya.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Could still easily have been Irie, and nobody replaced him.
Nobody replaced Tanegashima when they went.

So No.4 didnt have to be replaced if Irie Kanata didn't wish to travel.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was either Irie or Tokugawa.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Fayte's theory of Ryoga killing the ex No. 4 in a tennis match is still better though lol.

It'll be surely explained in the future.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Could still easily have been Irie, and nobody replaced him.
Nobody replaced Tanegashima when they went.

So No.4 didnt have to be replaced if Irie Kanata didn't wish to travel.
In their conversation, Irie and Akiba make it sound as if Irie said he didn't have the ability to compete with the rest of the world and dropped out because of that. Furthermore, during the team shuffle Oni compares Irie's situation to his own. Both of these suggest that if Irie had the spot and stayed behind, he was replaced like Oni.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
In their conversation, Irie and Akiba make it sound as if Irie said he didn't have the ability to compete with the rest of the world and dropped out because of that. Furthermore, during the team shuffle Oni compares Irie's situation to his own. Both of these suggest that if Irie had the spot and stayed behind, he was replaced like Oni.
Akiba says its because he couldnt shift his focus to that of the world.
This implies the ability was there.
And Akiba was simply arrogant thinking his month of scientific training was enough to overtake him.

Oni says he stayed to strengthen lower courts, but it doesn't rule out the possibility he was replaced.

And of all people to replace him, why would Tokugawa do it, who is clearly being a spoiled brat crying over not being the No.1 of the camp and throwing a tantrum by refusing to accept any other position.
(I believe that's what he has done since let's face it. From what we have seen, he would destroy No.7 downwards of the HSers)

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Akiba says its because he couldnt shift his focus to that of the world.
This implies the ability was there.
Same goes for Oni. And Irie says it's because he can't compete, so from that pov it would make more sense to completely give up his spot rather than just temporarily staying behind (he won't grow any taller).

Oni says he stayed to strengthen lower courts, but it doesn't rule out the possibility he was replaced.
Same goes for Irie. And we know for a fact that Oni was replaced, so from what I can see you're supporting my case here.

And of all people to replace him, why would Tokugawa do it, who is clearly being a spoiled brat crying over not being the No.1 of the camp and throwing a tantrum by refusing to accept any other position.
(I believe that's what he has done since let's face it. From what we have seen, he would destroy No.7 downwards of the HSers)
Not sure what you're trying to say here. I'm saying that Tokugawa is/was No. 4, not that he replaced Irie. Who knows what reason he might have had for not leaving the camp.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Not sure what you're trying to say here. I'm saying that Tokugawa is/was No. 4, not that he replaced Irie. Who knows what reason he might have had for not leaving the camp.
It doesn't suggest that Irie couldn't have been.
Although the altercation between Ryoga saving Tokugawa might hint to something.

However there has been no interaction from anybody of the 1st String with Tokugawa besides Byoudouin laughing at him.

Also, I meant to say ''It doesn't rule out the possibility Irie wasn't replaced.

Also, Irie could have just decided to stay like Tanegashima.

I just don't see enough yet to imply Tokugawa was the former teammate of those G10 guys like Oni was.

Fayte

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
To summarize the debate above, the original number 4 could have either been Kazuya or Irie.