Shounen - To You, The Immortal by OOIMA Yoshitoki | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen To You, The Immortal by OOIMA Yoshitoki

BasedAnon

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
To You, The Immortal / To Your Eternity

Mangaupdates
Mangaka - OOIMA Yoshitoki
Demographic - Shonen
Category - Adventure Drama Fantasy Supernatural
Premise
- An immortal being was sent to the surface of the earth and met a boy living alone in the middle of tundra.
The being can take the shape of dying things, but only if the "impetus" is stronger than the previous one. What sort of experiences and meetings will the being encounter while living forever?

Last edited:

Kadir0

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Chapter 10 looks great, can't wait for the translation, hope March survives :(

BasedAnon

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail

Rescorlian

Reaction score
Country
France
Read the first chapters, it was good. Really good. This just may very well be the next shonen to look. I'm glad I was able to find again a shonen with actually mature and profound content.

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I like this manga, but I just hope everyone he meets dying doesn't become a trend. Otherwise people will become numb to it at some point.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Ch.15 korean scan
http://wasabisyrup.com/archives/K23X3Bc5I-s

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Crunchyroll has taken on the series now, from ch25 onwards. Coincidentally I'm 24 chapters into this manga as well, will catch up soon.

Vandred

Plan Deviser
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I've started and caught up with the series recently myself (thanks, @Dragoon), and I find it to be a wonderful manga.

I am now on a mission to spread the word.

Ibafarshan

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I read te first chapter quite a long ago, and it was really good.
Seems like I have more than a couple of mangas to catch up now :cookiehand

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain
It feels bad to catch up to such a good series, then be doomed to wait for weekly releases as always. :nomoar

This Prince Bon is starting to grow on me a lot, he's kind of a gag character but at the same time holds so much potential for Fushi to keep evolving.
He's incredibly perceptive and has a strong sense of purpose: what Fushi needs the most right now (kind of like the young boy that serves the Prince with all his heart).

Tonari gave him one way to start with but he still has to build his path to happiness. I wonder if Blackhood will really turn Fushi into a mortal when his "purpose" is fulfilled though.

It was hilarious to finally see Fushi questioning his sexuality. Male? Female? Depends on the form? Kahak seems in favour of female though, that guy... :heh

Vandred

Plan Deviser
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
@Vandred Have you read the last chapter of "To Your Eternity"?

Oh god, how didn't I see that coming?!

Gugu could come back! :biblethump

Now seriously, this could change a lot of things. It would explain why the knockers exist to take down Fushi, he's a like an unlimited fountain of life. This power could also freeze Fushi's evolution as an independent individual though so its kind of explained that Black Hood didn't tell him about that being possible. What a plotwist.

Prince Bon not telling him is understandable too, but it sucks so much :darn
Could be, but perhaps he can simply resurrect a person under certain circumstances instead of being a bottomless life-spawning device. So he could only let the girl return to life, but we wouldn't be able to, say, make an army of them. :nerd

It was surely to put it in contrast to Fushi's own desire in this chapter, but a lot of emphasis was placed on the girl's will to live, as well as on what I assume was the girl's spirit talking to Bon before resurrecting. For now, I see it mainly as the ability to return the faie to its original holder's body instead of either letting it go to whatever lies beyond like it must happen in most cases, reincarnate like in Hayase's case, or stick around Fushi like a few people (March, Tonari, Gugu) seem to be doing.

That could also explain why the shell of the boy from chapter one that Fushi created to trick Hayase in Jananda didn't just spring back to life (or at least I'm assuming it didn't happen :p ). At any rate, that ability could surely be troublesome for the Black Hood's purpose like you said, so, since it must have been introduced to the story for a reason, I'm really curious to see where the plot will go with it.

By the way, the manga is still going great, in my opinion. I was a bit worried about what direction the author would take at the start of this arc, but so far it's managed to keep its quality and add some more.

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Could be, but perhaps he can simply resurrect a person under certain circumstances instead of being a bottomless life-spawning device. So he could only let the girl return to life, but we wouldn't be able to, say, make an army of them. :nerd

It was surely to put it in contrast to Fushi's own desire in this chapter, but a lot of emphasis was placed on the girl's will to live, as well as on what I assume was the girl's spirit talking to Bon before resurrecting. For now, I see it mainly as the ability to return the faie to its original holder's body instead of either letting it go to whatever lies beyond like it must happen in most cases, reincarnate like in Hayase's case, or stick around Fushi like a few people (March, Tonari, Gugu) seem to be doing.

That could also explain why the shell of the boy from chapter one that Fushi created to trick Hayase in Jananda didn't just spring back to life (or at least I'm assuming it didn't happen :p ). At any rate, that ability could surely be troublesome for the Black Hood's purpose like you said, so, since it must have been introduced to the story for a reason, I'm really curious to see where the plot will go with it.

By the way, the manga is still going great, in my opinion. I was a bit worried about what direction the author would take at the start of this arc, but so far it's managed to keep its quality and add some more.
Yep, Ch. 68 :nod

Definitely, Im sure his ability only works if the faie of the person that died still holds the will to live. I agree, for example: He wouldn't be able to resurrect Pyoran or Hayase since they chose to be reincarnated already, thats how I understood it though I could be wrong too.

So all the souls/ghosts that follow Fushi could potentially be resurrected, the question is... Would they die again if Fushi loses his memories about them? How much time can those wandering souls stay in the mortal world? How long would those copies of their bodies last? :hmm

Prince Bon will try to hide that from him but Fushi will know sooner or later. When that happens he might achieve the goal of this arc, to find motivation to live since his existence has only meant pain for him and danger for his friends.

But from a psychological point of view the goal could probably be for him to create his own motivation (a very important issue in life) and not to have it served in front of him, thats why I think Black Hood didn't tell him since it would slow down his "son's" development.

Btw I agree that the manga keeps progressing amazingly well, it deserves much more recognition and appreciation. All arcs have been a solid 8,5 / 10 or even more, so its truly good in its genre. :mono
I particularly like the MC's evolution and how each one of the relatable people he meets in his journey means a certain kind of growth.

Vandred

Plan Deviser
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Yep, Ch. 68 :nod
Definitely, Im sure his ability only works if the faie of the person that died still holds the will to live. I agree, for example: He wouldn't be able to resurrect Pyoran or Hayase since they chose to be reincarnated already, thats how I understood it though I could be wrong too.

So all the souls/ghosts that follow Fushi could potentially be resurrected, the question is... Would they die again if Fushi loses his memories about them? How much time can those wandering souls stay in the mortal world? How long would those copies of their bodies last? :hmm
I'd expect that Fushi would simply lose the ability to recreate their bodies, so since he can't see them like Bon, he wouldn't be able to do anything for them since he wouldn't even remember them. Which leads me to wonder if souls could inhabit different bodies than their own without having to be reborn in a new one through a reincarnation cycle (which supposedly erases most, if not all, of their previous memories).

As for how long their resurrection would last, I suppose we'll have to wait and see. But perhaps the reason he can only recreate the bodies of people as they were when they died is because they wouldn't be able to live forever, but only inhabit their bodies in the same condition as they left them. So if their bodies were to grow too old to be "fixed" by Fushi's regeneration, the spirits would have to pass on.

Prince Bon will try to hide that from him but Fushi will know sooner or later. When that happens he might achieve the goal of this arc, to find motivation to live since his existence has only meant pain for him and danger for his friends.

But from a psychological point of view the goal could probably be for him to create his own motivation (a very important issue in life) and not to have it served in front of him, thats why I think Black Hood didn't tell him since it would slow down his "son's" development.
Yet it's just as important for Fushi to continue to grow until whatever point the Black Hood is urging him to eventually reach, and there must be a reason why the Black Hood apparently believes it better to hide this power from him for now. Motivation is something he could certainly use at the moment, considering Fushi's reached a standstill that's already lasted several generations. If he'd rather witness him start over from when he was a sphere than reveal this truth to him, it might be a bigger deal than his silent stare let on.

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Man, these series of chapters :hee

This arc felt quite short, though I think it wasn't actually an arc (like the Gugu or the Island one).
It was kind of a presentation on Fushi's new phase, I can tell he's already matured a lot as a character and now its starting to learn deeper aspects of humankind, like love. Also we got insight on Fushi's new powers, Im really waiting for the moment he will bring at least one of his friends back to talk, even if its just to say "Goodbye" it would be the final push you know :emobirb

Its clear that Black Hood just wants Fushi to keep evolving, he watches over him like an experiment... Bon's selfishness brought naught upon him and Im sure he saw it coming. Its quite refreshing to see civilization evolving now with the presence of the Benett Church, it felt much more individualistic and simple when the manga started, so time really is passing in terms of human evolution. Will we see Fushi reaching our era? :mono

And Bon was indeed a great character, a selfish but good-hearted man. That imprisonment with the boy was what he needed to realize why he wasn't meant to be king. Things went wrong for him, for the people he cared for... all because he listened to his own desires before what was the right thing to do. He was a coward, but chose the best for the others over himself at the very end... when I saw he wasn't coming with Fushi I could see what he intended to do, that "Nay, I love Fushi!" Respect.

Another great influence for Fushi, and new form to take... which means he will be able to speak with the dead *-*
And speaking of the dead... what happened with Kahak? :hmm

Vandred

Plan Deviser
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Man, these series of chapters :hee
Indeed, so much good stuff :hee

This arc felt quite short, though I think it wasn't actually an arc (like the Gugu or the Island one).
It was kind of a presentation on Fushi's new phase, I can tell he's already matured a lot as a character and now its starting to learn deeper aspects of humankind, like love. Also we got insight on Fushi's new powers, Im really waiting for the moment he will bring at least one of his friends back to talk, even if its just to say "Goodbye" it would be the final push you know :emobirb

Its clear that Black Hood just wants Fushi to keep evolving, he watches over him like an experiment...
I was a little worried at the beginning of the arc with the big timeskip, generations of people passing one after the other, and then the introduction of a quirky character like Bon, but it turned out to be just as good as the previous arcs. The story is going places
I also love how the "getting a lover" plan ended in failure after discovering Fushi has otaku potential :XD

Gotta wonder what Fushi will do with his new powers. Having just stated his belief that everyone should be able to leave life with a smile on their faces, content with what they're leaving behind... something should happen in order for him not to linger on resurrecting everyone he meets who dies prematurely.

Also, one thing that took me a little by surprise was Bon's explanation for why Fushi wasn't able to resurrect the sage.

At first I had thought it had to do with Fushi never having seen the sage when he was alive, so by copying his dead body (unlike the Anna girl, whom he saw while still alive), he could only become a copy of the dead sage - meaning he'd have to regenerate before making a healthy copy of his body for the sage to inhabit (if his faie was still around and all that).

Instead, it looks like even if it's a human's body, it will be treated as any other inanimate thing (which it essentially is), unless the person the body belonged to "had an effect on Fushi" - the stimulus that allows him to grow. :hmm Makes sense.

Still, the question of what Fushi's ultimate purpose is remains. As the "guardian of creation", will it be his duty to not only rebuild, but repopulate the earth after the impending catastrophe, as a soul bank of sorts? If that's it, why does the Black Hood keep it secret from him?

Bon's selfishness brought naught upon him and Im sure he saw it coming. Its quite refreshing to see civilization evolving now with the presence of the Benett Church, it felt much more individualistic and simple when the manga started, so time really is passing in terms of human evolution. Will we see Fushi reaching our era? :mono
That would be cool. There's already been some modern-world elements humorously thrown in there when we saw Uralys, like the "Bonchien Weekly" magazine or the parrot microphones :lmao But it would be interesting to see Fushi reach a contemporary age. Great margin for interesting developments.

And Bon was indeed a great character, a selfish but good-hearted man. That imprisonment with the boy was what he needed to realize why he wasn't meant to be king. Things went wrong for him, for the people he cared for... all because he listened to his own desires before what was the right thing to do. He was a coward, but chose the best for the others over himself at the very end... when I saw he wasn't coming with Fushi I could see what he intended to do, that "Nay, I love Fushi!" Respect.

Another great influence for Fushi, and new form to take... which means he will be able to speak with the dead *-*
And speaking of the dead... what happened with Kahak? :hmm
Yeah. That moment with the spirits of the beggar and the one-armed soldier when he was heading to the guillotine... :feelsbadman

Kahak's absence and the last time we saw him being when he and Bon's sister were waiting for a "fortuitous event" is what's making it look like he's going to be a factor in Bon's rescue, but I'm pretty sure I want Bon to die right now. It might be a little premature, but I wouldn't mind his arc to conclude in this manner like it did for previous characters.

Besides, if his death is really going to give Fushi the ability to see and speak with spirits, that means he could essentially stick around Fushi forever :lambirb

...Or just get Fushi to make another body for him :grumble

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Started this manga, haven’t caught up yet, but I really like the concept. Still really behind — on chapter 26. The current characters with Gugu and Rynn are just adorable. Keep thing something bad is going to happen. Kept thinking that about best girl Parona too during the arc with her, but it never did. The brother seems like he would be connected to Rynn other than having her ring.

No spoilers you two. :lambirb
@Emperor Spriggan and @Arjuna, have you read this?

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Started this manga, haven’t caught up yet, but I really like the concept. Still really behind — on chapter 26. The current characters with Gugu and Rynn are just adorable. Keep thing something bad is going to happen. Kept thinking that about best girl Parona too during the arc with her, but it never did. The brother seems like he would be connected to Rynn other than having her ring.

No spoilers you two. :lambirb
@Emperor Spriggan and @Arjuna, have you read this?
Interesting synopsis,may be i will try it.

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Interesting synopsis,may be i will try it.
Lambu, Brandish, and Vandred also read it :nerdI just read chapters 20-32. Was so good. But even before that. Also you’ll meet best girls Parona and Rynn. If you do start, let me know.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Lambu, Brandish, and Vandred also read it :nerdI just read chapters 20-32. Was so good. But even before that. Also you’ll meet best girls Parona and Rynn. If you do start, let me know.
Okay okay i will inform you when I start.

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
:arf:handgun @syx comment please.....

:blush Joke. Would never be mean. But what do you think of this story?

Okay okay i will inform you when I start.
:invalid Never started.....

You should. I just caught up recently and it is good. We can enlarge the TYTI fanbase.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
:arf:handgun @syx comment please.....

:blush Joke. Would never be mean. But what do you think of this story?

:invalid Never started.....

You should. I just caught up recently and it is good. We can enlarge the TYTI fanbase.
Thanks Crescent i will definetly pick it some day but I would be lurker from October so I will not be in the fanbase for some years.