Discussion - Thunder / Lightning - Titan Shifters | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Thunder / Lightning - Titan Shifters

mackie1102

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Costa Rica
Guys! Hi! :D I don't know if there's already a thread about this (I couldn't find any) but I'd like to read if some of you have thought about the thunder that appears right before a titan (like Eren, Annie, Berth, Reiner, Ymir) transforms? Why is it? Physical law? Why does it come from "heaven"? ._.

Nanozom

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Not Utawarerumono again!!

Just curious OP, does the manga also have the thunder and lightning for transformations?
The manga shows it as a flash of light that the titan forms emerge from and since we can´t hear sound in a manga, I assume it actually is lightning, the trigger spark that alllows them to conjure the materials to create their forms.
I guess it´s a symbol for creation where the shifters in a sense becomes "gods" capable of creating everything from nothing
(titan bodies are light and they dissolve once there is nothing to maintain the forms anymore.
And it might be connected to the origin of the very word "Titan" that is greek mythology. (Zeus comes to mind here, the man that imprisoned them.)
(Smiles)
Maybe It´s like Zeus is letting the Titans out to play with that lightning strike as a key to free them from their prison?
(Jokes aside.)

Maybe the lightning strike is the energy it shapes the forms by energy-matter conversion?
That for sure would explain where these bodies comes from since there is a lot of power in a lightning strike.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
@Nanozom
I agree with the energy transfer bit, but I just can't get my mind over the fact they have command over the heavens when they injure themselves lol...
Logically, I would assume their willpower + injury triggers some sort of mechanism within their bodies (chemical reaction,) and thereby attracting a lightning strike that would provide them with the energy to transform. But you'd have to be soooo overly ionised to get the that strike on you, not to mention creating that strike in the first place... And it seems they can transform underground as well... dunno...

That, or it's just dramatic licensing :p and/or as you say, symbolism only but nothing else.

epictoads

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm no physicist but I'm sure that light hardening into mass (assuming that is where the bodies come from) would have some effect on surrounding particles or release energy (we know it blasts people around away and gets really hot). It could just be tons of static coming off them. The Colossal Titan had a much bigger lightning bolt as well.

I don't think the energy actually comes from the lighting (you'd need a lot more than a few bolts to do it).

Nanozom

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I'm no physicist but I'm sure that light hardening into mass (assuming that is where the bodies come from) would have some effect on surrounding particles or release energy (we know it blasts people around away and gets really hot). It could just be tons of static coming off them. The Colossal Titan had a much bigger lightning bolt as well.

I don't think the energy actually comes from the lighting (you'd need a lot more than a few bolts to do it).
A "few" bolts?
You realize that the lightning strike lasted for eleven seconds in ep 24.
(I counted)
And that is insane amounts of energy considering that a usual one only last for a second at most.
To maintain a bolt like that, it would be the same as grabbing a high-voltage cable and hold on. That´s more than enough energy for a transformation.

tupadre97

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Im pretty sure the lightning is just for dramatic effect i don't think it really happens.

Ricky296

Reaction score
Country
American Samoa
The lightning is a form of teleportation because as the body is materializing the lightning moves you away from where you once were. For example, when bertolt transforms, the lightning teleports to the nape as the colossal titan is forming because if he transformed where he stands, half the body with be in the ground. Another example is when eren fought the armored titan, when the armored titan held eren in its hand and he transformed he was teleported away by the lightning as the body materialized or the titan body would have formed around the armored titans hand.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Another example is when eren fought the armored titan, when the armored titan held eren in its hand and he transformed he was teleported away by the lightning as the body materialized or the titan body would have formed around the armored titans hand.
The lightning doesn't teleport you anywhere.

When Eren transformed, he wasn't teleported anywhere, he transformed exactly where he was and that's why Reiner's hand exploded.

Catzzz123456

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
The lightning doesn't teleport you anywhere.

When Eren transformed, he wasn't teleported anywhere, he transformed exactly where he was and that's why Reiner's hand exploded.
He means that the parts of Titan body teleported from somewhere and lighting is the effect of teleportation from somewhere to this world. As said before it coming from who knows somewhere.
Any transformation into Titan is example of teleporting of Titan body parts thru the paths straight to the Eldian body who transforming right now and lighting is proof of that effect.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Isn't the lightning anime only? The manga has never shown any lightning IIRC.

Farras

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Notice this:
1 - The first time Bertold and Reiner were attacked by mikasa, this yellow electricity started coming out them (like pouring out) before their transformation into titans. No lightning bolt was actualy seen, falling from the sky and hiting any of them (Eren later included).
The anime shows that the sun was clouded at that PARTICULAR time and Common Titans enter in hybernation if unexposed to sunlight, meaning that the sun works somehow like a energy source to them (speculation).
2 - Now, the fact that most people seen to forget about lightnings is that a lightning traveling through open air emits white light, but can appear in different colors depending on local atmospheric conditions - given there is enough distance between the lightning and the observer. Sooooo, shouldnt it be white, both the bolt and the electricity that comes out of Bertold, Reiner and Eren? Why is it yellow like the sun? Also, i think the lightning only apears when the sun is up and exposed. Recent battles on the Manga are happening at night and they DONT SHOW ANY LIGHTNING on any of the transformations. Its just my opinion but i think that the yellow lighting bolt falling, has something to do with the sun.
3 - Lets remind that the writer of Attack on Titan sees the anime as the "Final Product", not the manga. This actually means that the anime is more accurate to his art than the manga itself, wich is in black and white.
4 - In recent episodes of the anime Eren used the Coordinate Ability. And when he did it, did you guys notice something...? The yellow electricity/lightning appears again, quickly passing through all titans shifters arround (and in my opinion, the common titans as well).

[MANGA SPOILER ALERT]
It is said in the manga that the coordinate ability powers are based on the fact that the Eldians (titan shifters and people that can become titans, for those who dont read the manga) are all conected by invisible lines that are out of space (and time in my opinion) and the coordinate ability puts the shifter on a "spot" that intersect whith ALL THE LINES (not like the center, but the only point where all the lines, that pass through everyone, intersect). Thats also explain the fact that if a titan shifter dies without passing the power ahead, the power is not lost, it goes to a ramdom Eldian.

Resuming: i think the yellow lightning bolt/electricity represents the connection between all Eldian people. Other than that, i have no idea where it comes from, but is not some simple scientific explanation, thats for shure

Hll

Reaction score
Country
India
I always thought it was the energy from the titan ability being released, from inside the titans, and it just seems like an effect of it coming from the heavens itself, even in the manga, it is shown, that light or sparks, come from the shifters, not from the surrounding.

Jane Burgandy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always thought it was the energy from the titan ability being released, from inside the titans, and it just seems like an effect of it coming from the heavens itself, even in the manga, it is shown, that light or sparks, come from the shifters, not from the surrounding.
This was exactly what I thought, too. But reading the comment just above yours (there are some spoilers), I'm starting to reconsider it.