Theory - Theory about Jellal and Selene? Potential backstory? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Theory about Jellal and Selene? Potential backstory?

bluec

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi guys, I'm new here and has always been a fan of Fairy Tail but lately this recent chapter of 100 year quest have me thinking about the potential relation between Jellal and Selene and the potential backstory of Jellal.

Looking at the moon and stars gazing above Jerza's scenes, it seems like a foreshadowing that Selene might interfere with this ship at some point. I don't think this is a coincidence at least it really doesn't look like? Moon and stars, isn't that Selene's magic?

Okay and I'll get to the point why I think there's a potential twist that Jellal might be related to Selene.
There are quite a bit of history, so yea, for those who are interested in this theory, please look through. :) I'm bolding those details that are kinda linked/connected.

On Selene
Some history, from what I've read, In Greek mythology, Selene is the goddess of the Moon. She drives her moon chariot across the heavens (chariot and heavens? Is this really a coincidence? Because these terms reminds me of Grand Chariot and Heavenly Body Magic) of course that's not all, According to a certain Epigenes, the three Moirai, or Fates, were regarded in the Orphic tradition as representing the three divisions of Selene, "the thirtieth and the fifteenth and the first" (i.e. the crescent moon, full moon, and dark moon, as delinted by the divisions of the calendar month). Interesting read right? read up next.

Moon chariot
Another facts from history: Like her brother Helios, the Sun god, who drives his sun chariot across the sky each day, Selene is also said to drive a chariot across the heavens. The Hymn to Selene, provides a description: The air, unlit before, glows with the light of her golden crown, and her rays beam clear, whensoever bright Selene having bathed her lovely body in the waters of Ocean (We've seen this before isn't it? Bath scene in one of the chapters). Now I'll dive into the chapters hints.

Hints from chapter 63
History: Selene is commonly depicted with a crescent moon, often accompanied by stars; sometimes, instead of a crescent, a lunar disc is used. (Isn't that familiar? That setting is exactly the one from the image I posted.)
So in this case, there's a chance Selene will actually interfere with Jerza ship, causing chaos or whatsoever.

Selene's lover and possibility Jellal's backstory and his dad
In Greek mythology, Endymion was variously a handsome astronomer. However, the role of lover of Selene, the moon, is attributed primarily to Endymion who was either a shepherd or an astronomer, either profession providing justification for him to spend time beneath the moon.

With all these information, I felt that there's a chance that Selene and Jellal might actually really be related. Astronomer + Moon. What do you guys think?

PS. I'm not the best at writing, so please bear with me :)

grey matter

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
Not to be rude, but, IMHO Jellol is too irrelevant in Mashima's eyes for him to do anything relevant in this manga.

Consider his last 2 fights, he just used Grand Chariot and finished it. We could've seen something from this "versatile" mage, but we saw GC for the 1000th time. What this says is Mashima doesn't care about him at all, other than as a shipping material for Erza.

Ramen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It would be cool to see but I don't see it to be honest. Nothing currently foreshadows it unless you genuinely believe in the moon and stars theory while they hugged.

I can see it being more Lucy focused and @mwarren100 and his dreams come true.

Ratrace

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If Jellal does gets involved with Selene it will most likely be about the White witch (depending on if she talks)

grey matter

Reaction score
Country
India
Adding to my previous post:

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if Jellol does get to play a decent role in Selene arc, as irrelevant as I think he is. Considering that Selene potentially uses Heavenly Body Magic, Jellol might get to play a role.

But something as significant as you posted? Extremely unlikely IMO.
Back in the days, August being Jellal's father was a damn popular theory, considering August's resemblance to Faust, both being very knowledgeable/versatile mages etc. Mashima didn't deliver then even with something lining up so much, so why expect anything related Jellal now?

One4All

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I want to believe that Jellal will be involved in Selene arc. His magic relates Selene and it would be a shame if Mashima won't take the chance. It's about time he give Jellal new feats using heavenly body magic outside Grand Chariot and Sema. Selene messing with JerZa seems to be much more possible than Jellal's family tree.

As much as the golden key would probably be involved with Viernes the Gold Dragon,I think Lucy would atleast strengthen her Celestial magic and her spirits on Selene arc. Either way,Jellal and Lucy are the probable candidates of Selene arc because of their magic.

But the arc might also recieve a pattern we had on the past 2 DGs,no one is really related to them.

mwarren100

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
No. Selene is better suited for someone else .
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Lucy deserves it more. Jellal is strong enough already. Erza and Wendy don't need to be involved. The logical answer remains.

kian

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone

Lucy deserves it more. Jellal is strong enough already. Erza and Wendy don't need to be involved. The logical answer remains.
Lucy isn’t going to solo a dragon god. I don’t know why you’re so insistent on pretending she will.

Team Natsu will be involved in her defeat, not just Lucy.

grey matter

Reaction score
Country
India
Lucy isn’t going to solo a dragon god. I don’t know why you’re so insistent on pretending she will.

Team Natsu will be involved in her defeat, not just Lucy.
You mean Natsu will defeat her, team Natsu will provide near irrelevant support? :feelsgoodman

mwarren100

Reaction score
Country
United States
You mean Natsu will defeat her, team Natsu will provide near irrelevant support? :feelsgoodman
No. Lucy will defeat her solo . this would suck if natsu defeated all the dragon gods. Missing a huge opportunity for lucy as a main focus in a dragon god arc as well.

Ratrace

Reaction score
Country
United States
No. Lucy will defeat her solo . this would suck if natsu defeated all the dragon gods. Missing a huge opportunity for lucy as a main focus in a dragon god arc as well.
It may suck but there's a high chance it will happen

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Irene said HB magic is the strongest(?) elemental magic and that's about as far a connection I see.

It's really hard to figure out connections, but this one isn't too bad. I mean, the Water Dragon looked like Jellal and there was nothing there.

One4All

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore

Yeah,Lucy deserves better but you have to chill with your predictions. With Lucy’s battle history, it’s highly unlikely that she will participate in defeating a DG head on,let alone solo. I’d like to be proven wrong though. Lucy has been slowly overshadowed by Erza and Wendy at this point as a MC.

Last edited:

mwarren100

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah,Lucy deserves better but you have to chill with your predictions. With Lucy’s battle history, it’s highly unlikely that she will participate in defeating a DG head on,let alone solo. I’d like to be proven wrong though. Lucy has been slowly overshadowed by Erza and Wendy at this point as a MC.
Which is a problem. She shouldn't be overshadowed by them.

Cosmicstar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Erza has always overshadowed her and most of team Natsu. Wendy might get "cooler" powerups but I wouldn't say she overshadows Lucy. Wendy continues to struggle against opponents in her dragon force and seeing as Gum dude crapped on Wendy Bersilion, I wouldn't say Wendy gets better treatment than Lucy. Most of the time Wendy and Gray get the short end of the stick compared to Lucy the only difference is they get hyped up more by the fandom.

One4All

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Erza has always overshadowed her and most of team Natsu. Wendy might get "cooler" powerups but I wouldn't say she overshadows Lucy. Wendy continues to struggle against opponents in her dragon force and seeing as Gum dude crapped on Wendy Bersilion, I wouldn't say Wendy gets better treatment than Lucy. Most of the time Wendy and Gray get the short end of the stick compared to Lucy the only difference is they get hyped up more by the fandom.
Which is a thing. Any manga won’t succeed without the readers’ appreciation or without fanbase hyping the manga and its chars. IIRC Lucy doesn’t have any battles with great choreography. Most of her battles were comedic or underwhelming. On the contrary,Gray’s battles were great. Wendy atleast has some great battles under her belt. Aside from her DS magic. She’s much more useful as a support with her enchants and healing magic. Though,it’s pretty obvious that Lucy is more of an intellectual type than a battler.

So far in the 100YQ. Erza and Wendy stands out since their magic are useful in the quest together with Natsu. Her magic doesn’t make it better either. Lucy stepping up would be refreshing. I gotta say,Gray was pretty underwhelming in the sequel too.

Anyway,Jellal seems to be more involved in this sequel compared to the original series. So I’m expecting him to be a key player at some point, especially on Selene arc.

Cosmicstar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Which is a thing. Any manga won’t succeed without the readers’ appreciation or without fanbase hyping the manga and its chars. IIRC Lucy doesn’t have any battles with great choreography. Most of her battles were comedic or underwhelming. On the contrary,Gray’s battles were great. Wendy atleast has some great battles under her belt. Aside from her DS magic. She’s much more useful as a support with her enchants and healing magic. Though,it’s pretty obvious that Lucy is more of an intellectual type than a battler.

So far in the 100YQ. Erza and Wendy stands out since their magic are useful in the quest together with Natsu. Her magic doesn’t make it better either. Lucy stepping up would be refreshing. I gotta say,Gray was pretty underwhelming in the sequel too.

Anyway,Jellal seems to be more involved in this sequel compared to the original series. So I’m expecting him to be a key player at some point, especially on Selene arc.
If I had to rank how the characters have been treated in the 100 Year quest it would be:

1. Natsu
  2. Erza
  3. Wendy
  4. Lucy
  5. Gray