Theory - Theory about 2nd Gen DS not having the Dragon Force | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Theory about 2nd Gen DS not having the Dragon Force

Will Laxus ever have a chance to activate Dragon Force in future arcs?

• Yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Seahorse

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Taiwan
As we all know, first gen and third gen DS (Natsu, Gajeel, Wendy) have all activated their Dragon Force, but none of the 2nd gen DS (Laxus, Cobra, Serena) has ever shown to have the ability to do so. I have a theory that it's not that they don't have the ability - it's just that they've never got the chance to active it.

Let's see how the first gen DSs first activated their DF:
  • Natsu eating Etherion when fighting Jellal alone
  • Natsu eating Jellal's Flame of Rebuke when fighting Master Zero alone
  • Wendy consuming the magic power around Face when facing Ezel alone
  • Gajeel consuming the magic barrier particles when fighting Bloodman alone

As we all can see, some similarities exist in all these situations. The DS was fighting against an opponent alone. The opponent is much more powerful than the DS that there was absolutely no chance to win without a massive power up, but the DS has to win or his nakama would be killed. There're something around with magic powers that he can eat.

TL;DR: In order to activate DF, the DS has to be pushed to the edge by a very very OP opponent in a win-or-die situation. If the opponent is not OP enough (tiers above the DS), then the DS would not be pushed enough to activate DF.

This would well explain why 2nd gen DS don't have DF so far. Cobra is a minor character, and he has obviously never faced any opponent alone that's massively OP. On the other hand, Laxus has always been extremely OP himself. He's too strong to have any opponent that's OP enough to push him to the edge. The only two times he ever faced an opponent tiers above him (Hades and Acnologia), he was not fighting alone - he had Natsu with him on both occasions, so he did not have to do it himself. On other occasions, he mostly faced opponents that are weaker than him, so why bother activating the Dragon Force?

As for the future, I really don't think that the 2nd gen DSs will ever have the opportunity to activate their Dragon Force. Laxus is so OP now that it's hard to think of him facing any opponent that's tiers above him, let alone pushing him to that kind of limit that DF needs. Cobra, he's unfortunately just too minor of a character to play such a role in the game. Serena, dead. So I don't believe there would be any 2nd gen Dragon Force in the future.

That said, I still believe that if given the opportunity, they do have the ability.

Last edited:

Lucy>Wendy&Elfman

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Didn't Laxus activated Dragon Force in Battle of Fairy Tail arc? When he revealed his Dragon Slayer powers?

GL_Nova

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
The video game already ended this conversation bro, do the research.

Seahorse

Reaction score
Country
Taiwan
Didn't Laxus activated Dragon Force in Battle of Fairy Tail arc? When he revealed his Dragon Slayer powers?
The video game already ended this conversation bro, do the research.
Yeah I know, but wasn't it discussed here on MH a long time ago? IIRC people did come to the conclusion that it was not canon to call that thing a legal DF. I mean, real DF would make you jump 1-2 tiers, while with Laxus' case, the power boost was so small it was laughble. :derp

Even if it really was some kind of nerfed DF, we should be talking about the kind of DF that Natsu, Wendy, Sting and Nebal have in this thread, as Laxus' so-called DF hardly makes any difference for his power level.

Need I also say it looks lame too. Other people's DF form all look badass. If it's the only DF form of Laxus, then his DF is a joke.:yodawg

Last edited:

Loke

Reaction score
Country
United States
Games are not canon and one of the things that was meant to set third gen apart from the rest (at that point in time anyway) was that they could access DF at will. Why would that be a big deal if second gen could already do this? That said, I do think second gen can access it. Laxus is just plenty powerful as is, DF for him would prolly break the manga and I don't think Hiro cares enough about Cobra to give it to him:yodawg

Seahorse

Reaction score
Country
Taiwan
Games are not canon and one of the things that was meant to set third gen apart from the rest (at that point in time anyway) was that they could access DF at will. Why would that be a big deal if second gen could already do this? That said, I do think second gen can access it. Laxus is just plenty powerful as is, DF for him would prolly break the manga and I don't think Hiro cares enough about Cobra to give it to him:yodawg
I think it's not a generation problem, as Wendy could access DF at will too. It's just a matter of practice. Nebal could also access DF at will though it would break himself.

Don't know why but I do feel a bit bad for Cobra ((

GL_Nova

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I know, but wasn't it discussed here on MH a long time ago? IIRC people did come to the conclusion that it was not canon to call that thing a legal DF. I mean, real DF would make you jump 1-2 tiers, while with Laxus' case, the power boost was so small it was laughble. :derp

Even if it really was some kind of nerfed DF, we should be talking about the kind of DF that Natsu, Wendy, Sting and Nebal have in this thread, as Laxus' so-called DF hardly makes any difference for his power level.

Need I also say it looks lame too. Other people's DF form all look badass. If it's the only DF form of Laxus, then his DF is a joke.:yodawg
The game already has its own canon arc included by Mashima himself :yodawg. So do you have a more persuasive argument than these? Cause that transformation left Natsu and Gajeel beaten head to toe. An if your comparingit objectively, looked about as impressive as what Sting and Rogue did before being beaten by Natsu in base. An we ain’t seen no better DF out of them yet. The only one with a massive DF boost is Natsu. It’s been discussed to death. An thanks for your artistic take?:yodawg

Lucy>Wendy&Elfman

Reaction score
Country
France

I agree 👍

Seahorse

Reaction score
Country
Taiwan
Cause that transformation left Natsu and Gajeel beaten head to toe.
IIRC he was already beating Natsu and Gajeel head to toe before the transformation, so I'm still doubtful about the boost really...
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Please, don't be so mean :yodawg
--- Double Post Merged, ---

So now I think Kirin is the perfect opponent for Laxus to go DF, if he really has a chance.

Surely Kirin is not vastly stronger than Laxus, but like Wahl, he has this certain hax that counters Laxus' lightning. So it would be nigh impossible for Laxus to win without a massive power-up. If he still doesn't go DF in this fight, he probably never will.

Loke

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it's not a generation problem, as Wendy could access DF at will too. It's just a matter of practice. Nebal could also access DF at will though it would break himself.

Don't know why but I do feel a bit bad for Cobra ((
Wendy could not use DF at will at the time Sting and Rogue were introduced. The point is the idea of dragon slayers being able to enter that state consciously was completely unheard of up until the third gen, hence Minerva/Jellal's dialogue.
The game already has its own canon arc included by Mashima himself :yodawg. So do you have a more persuasive argument than these? Cause that transformation left Natsu and Gajeel beaten head to toe. An if your comparingit objectively, looked about as impressive as what Sting and Rogue did before being beaten by Natsu in base. An we ain’t seen no better DF out of them yet. The only one with a massive DF boost is Natsu. It’s been discussed to death. An thanks for your artistic take?:yodawg
I'm wasn't trying to persuade you? I just left my thoughts. Funny how that game has Sting and Rogue at a higher recommended level than Natsu but in actual canon manga he whooped them both. Makes sense yeah? :yodawg

Anyway, have fun making sense of these comments.

Is it probable that Natsu and Gajeel are so calm because they faced it before in Laxus? Perhaps but we have no confirmation of that. They didn't make one reference to that fight.