Light Novel - The Twelve Kingdoms - ONO FUYUMI | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Light Novel The Twelve Kingdoms - ONO FUYUMI

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
However, I still have this feeling that he may not be as strong as we may think.. He may have recovered a bit, but we still haven't known how far the traumatic experiences affect him after he remembers his identity...
There's no doubt he has been traumatized, but I think the purification he underwent has helped him to a certain extent.

Right now Taiki is focused solely on finding Gyousou and trying to get Tai back on track. When the storm has subsided and the situation in Tai is much calmer, I think he will reminisce back to the new "missing" years, which were the six years he spent in Hourai. He's a kirin after all so he will think of others before he thinks of himself.

Eh, yeah, but his character in Saiunkoku is very different from Keiki. I suppose that just shows how versatile he is in voice-acting. Until now, I still can't believe Koyasu is also the voice for Excalibur in Soul Eater. :derp

Maybe you should watch the anime first, you might not understand some things because they're left out, but you'll appreciate that excluded bits when you read the LN.
Yeah, Koyasu is definitely a versitile seiyuu. :XD I'm glad he was picked as Keiki because I can't think of any other person who would fit the role. The sighing is perfect.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check out the anime and will read the LN once I'm done. :)

Well, that's how it usually is, isn't it? The guy who smiles the most is usually the person who hides the most darkness.

Or maybe like Shouryuu's theory, Rikou just have enough and starts murdering his family... though that will be a very tragic outcome and not one I hope to happen.
Exactly. This just makes me want to read a novel with Rikou as the protagonist and all the adventures he went through.

After reading Rikou's theory about En-ou -which made a lot of sense considering how Shoryuu likes to take chances- I initially thought Shouryuu's theory was far-fetched. Rikou striking down his father/the king seemed OOC at first, but the theory began to sound plausible after our conversation.

It's also very funny though. They pretend to each other, even though they know the other can see through it. :XD

They are an unlikely pair, though rather similar in some aspects, but they sure can use each other. :p
It's funny when you consider the fact that Shouryuu has been to Sou and met the king/Rikou's father at least once. :XD There was a time when they could have met at an official setting, but naturally Rikou wouldn't have been present. However, I do think it's smart that they both stay quiet since it's not a good idea for the king and a prince to be spying on other people's kingdoms. :p

Probably the fact that Shushou is still going out of her house often helps. And it's actually impossible to hide the youma fact when they also live in a place that is still susceptible to youma. However, in the palace, you are practically safe and sheltered.
But yeah, Shoukei finally sees the world as it is, arguably in a more adventurous way than Shushou.

I can't even imagine them meeting each other. :XD
Since Shushou's debut was Kaze no Banri instead of Tonan no Tsubasa, she was was most likely created to serve as a foil to Shoukei- why else have a child queen if not to compare the two? ;)

She does know that Enki appears as a child so it's possible that the have met before? :3c

You mean how En-ou and Enki are still slackers even after so many centuries...? :cheez
Nevertheless Kouya should be impressed that the slackers have managed to rule a country for this long. :XD His lecture to Shushou about what a king is might give a clue as to how he views En-ou several centuries later.

I'd like to find out too, but until they actually appear, I don't think we'll find out. But if they do appear, that will worry me because one unusual occurrence (like a black kirin) might mean a great period is to come, but too many of them usually mean a great calamity is to appear. :s
I guess the only way to find out are by stories taking place in the past; however, I feel as if we haven't touched upon the current timeline as much. I'm still interested though!!

Despite his pretty looks (I assume he's pretty), he sure has a lot up his sleeves as well. :p
He seems to be a very capable ruler as well, with his kingdom being the third longest reign.
The fact that he's able to have the third longest reign speaks volumes about what kind of a ruler he is despite the odd mannerisms. :XD It's smart of him to export his kingdom's goods and services to other kingdoms.

I think it is exactly why the kirin choose them as rulers: because they have the potential to be great. But the thing is that they need to overcome their own demons, and not many are brave enough to do so, thus the fall of the rulers.
Definitely. This explains why very few rulers are able to rebound after their kirin has shitsudou.

yukihime03

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
There's no doubt he has been traumatized, but I think the purification he underwent has helped him to a certain extent.

Right now Taiki is focused solely on finding Gyousou and trying to get Tai back on track. When the storm has subsided and the situation in Tai is much calmer, I think he will reminisce back to the new "missing" years, which were the six years he spent in Hourai. He's a kirin after all so he will think of others before he thinks of himself.
Hmm... That makes sense.

Yeah, Koyasu is definitely a versitile seiyuu. :XD I'm glad he was picked as Keiki because I can't think of any other person who would fit the role. The sighing is perfect.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check out the anime and will read the LN once I'm done. :)
The sighing is indeed perfect. :XD

Tell me what you think about it when you've watched it! Maybe we can have a thread for Saiunkoku LN later. :p

Exactly. This just makes me want to read a novel with Rikou as the protagonist and all the adventures he went through.

After reading Rikou's theory about En-ou -which made a lot of sense considering how Shoryuu likes to take chances- I initially thought Shouryuu's theory was far-fetched. Rikou striking down his father/the king seemed OOC at first, but the theory began to sound plausible after our conversation.
Yeah, I bet it's going to be the kind of novel that seems comedic at first, but the more you read... :derp

At actually Rikou's theory was spot on, as Shouryuu admits that he has done that, but what makes me laugh is that Shouryuu admits how the whole thing struck him as silly, so he probably won't do that again. But we still don't know if Shouryuu's theory might come to pass...

It's funny when you consider the fact that Shouryuu has been to Sou and met the king/Rikou's father at least once. :XD There was a time when they could have met at an official setting, but naturally Rikou wouldn't have been present. However, I do think it's smart that they both stay quiet since it's not a good idea for the king and a prince to be spying on other people's kingdoms. :p
I even suspect that when Souki declare his father as the king, Rikou... was somewhere else, doing God knows what. And he may even come to the coronation late. :XD
Indeed. It's interesting that they don't send other people, but actually come by themselves to see things with their own eyes.

Since Shushou's debut was Kaze no Banri instead of Tonan no Tsubasa, she was was most likely created to serve as a foil to Shoukei- why else have a child queen if not to compare the two? ;)

She does know that Enki appears as a child so it's possible that the have met before? :3c
Hmm, yes, that makes sense.

Now I'm dying to know how it goes. :XD

Nevertheless Kouya should be impressed that the slackers have managed to rule a country for this long. :XD His lecture to Shushou about what a king is might give a clue as to how he views En-ou several centuries later.
Now I really wonder what will happen when those three meet again, because obviously Kouya has changed a lot.

The fact that he's able to have the third longest reign speaks volumes about what kind of a ruler he is despite the odd mannerisms. :XD It's smart of him to export his kingdom's goods and services to other kingdoms.
He has such a business mind. :XD

Definitely. This explains why very few rulers are able to rebound after their kirin has shitsudou.
Ah, how lucky we are to be humans.

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Tell me what you think about it when you've watched it! Maybe we can have a thread for Saiunkoku LN later. :p
A thread for Saiunkoku sounds like a great idea! :) Manga is more easily available than a light novel so people might not know where to find good LN titles.

Yeah, I bet it's going to be the kind of novel that seems comedic at first, but the more you read... :derp

At actually Rikou's theory was spot on, as Shouryuu admits that he has done that, but what makes me laugh is that Shouryuu admits how the whole thing struck him as silly, so he probably won't do that again. But we still don't know if Shouryuu's theory might come to pass...
I also have a feeling that Rikou's novel will have that tone: comedic to... something else. :hee Even though Rikou is cheerful and approachable, it's interesting how he seems to always travel alone (with Shushou and Gankyuu as an exception). It may have to do with him being immortal and making it difficult to find a travel companion; however, his solitary travels struck me as odd for someone as sociable as he is.

It's just another example of, "I know who you are and I know that you know who I am, but I won't say anything". :XD

I even suspect that when Souki declare his father as the king, Rikou... was somewhere else, doing God knows what. And he may even come to the coronation late. :XD
Indeed. It's interesting that they don't send other people, but actually come by themselves to see things with their own eyes.
I can totally picture Rikou either not coming to the coronation or arriving late. :XD

Perhaps once the kingdoms are stable and at peace like En and Sou, the rulers begin to concern themselves with issues going on outside their kingdom. En in particular needs to be especially aware of what's going on around them since they have to prepare for refugees from unstable kingdoms.

Now I really wonder what will happen when those three meet again, because obviously Kouya has changed a lot.
I wonder about that too. Especially when Kouya has become a god and is in a similar position (?) as Shouryuu and Rokuta; the people of Koukai revere Kouya much like how a citizen of En would revere Shouryuu and Rokuta.

Ah, how lucky we are to be humans.
Out of curiosity if you were to be a citizen in a kingdom, which one would you choose? Personality-wise I think I will fit in with Ren or Sou, but I can't handle hot weather so perhaps I'd be more suited for Sai.

yukihime03

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
A thread for Saiunkoku sounds like a great idea! :) Manga is more easily available than a light novel so people might not know where to find good LN titles.
Indeed, and then there's problem with translation... In Saiunkoku's case, the translation is not as complete as TK. Sometimes I can only read summaries too...

I also have a feeling that Rikou's novel will have that tone: comedic to... something else. :hee Even though Rikou is cheerful and approachable, it's interesting how he seems to always travel alone (with Shushou and Gankyuu as an exception). It may have to do with him being immortal and making it difficult to find a travel companion; however, his solitary travels struck me as odd for someone as sociable as he is.
He might be afraid that he will be attached if he finds a travel companion...? And it's difficult to find a travel companion who's immortal like him, as the rest of the immortals are people who work for the government and are busy.
Or maybe he's just that free-spirited. I can understand the feeling of wanting to travel alone as that means you have more freedom to move about, because your decision will not affect others. If you just wake up one day and suddenly feeling like going somewhere else right at that time, you can just get up, pack your belongings and move, no need to wait for the other person. When you travel with someone else, there are a lot of decisions to be made together, and that can be too troublesome.

I can totally picture Rikou either not coming to the coronation or arriving late. :XD

Perhaps once the kingdoms are stable and at peace like En and Sou, the rulers begin to concern themselves with issues going on outside their kingdom. En in particular needs to be especially aware of what's going on around them since they have to prepare for refugees from unstable kingdoms.
Or maybe he just come home, find the house empty, ask the neighbor, only for the neighbor to answer with incredulity, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!" :lmao

Hmm. I see. Or maybe they're just that nosy. Hahahaha~ :XD

I wonder about that too. Especially when Kouya has become a god and is in a similar position (?) as Shouryuu and Rokuta; the people of Koukai revere Kouya much like how a citizen of En would revere Shouryuu and Rokuta.
Somehow I think that Kouya is much more popular than Shouryuu and Rokuta. Probably because he's, well, a god that protects travelers from youma in the Yellow Sea (which means people entrust their lives to his protection) with mysterious background.

Out of curiosity if you were to be a citizen in a kingdom, which one would you choose? Personality-wise I think I will fit in with Ren or Sou, but I can't handle hot weather so perhaps I'd be more suited for Sai.
Hmm... I'm not sure. Probably En. Mostly because like its king and taihou, I'm a great slacker. :XD
But talking about climate, probably I'm more suited for Ren or Sou, as I've lived all my life in a tropical country, so hot weather is a daily thing for me. :p

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Indeed, and then there's problem with translation... In Saiunkoku's case, the translation is not as complete as TK. Sometimes I can only read summaries too...
It's too bad because there are a lot of LN titles out there that haven't been translated nor animated.

He might be afraid that he will be attached if he finds a travel companion...? And it's difficult to find a travel companion who's immortal like him, as the rest of the immortals are people who work for the government and are busy.
Or maybe he's just that free-spirited. I can understand the feeling of wanting to travel alone as that means you have more freedom to move about, because your decision will not affect others. If you just wake up one day and suddenly feeling like going somewhere else right at that time, you can just get up, pack your belongings and move, no need to wait for the other person. When you travel with someone else, there are a lot of decisions to be made together, and that can be too troublesome.
Ah, those are good points. I have a feeling that if Fuukan wasn't a king (but was still a sennin), he and Rikou would have travelled together. If there was a fork in the road, they would most likely walk along different paths though. :p

Or maybe he just come home, find the house empty, ask the neighbor, only for the neighbor to answer with incredulity, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!" :lmao

Hmm. I see. Or maybe they're just that nosy. Hahahaha~ :XD
I can picture that scenario happening. :hee

I wonder if the key to success in ruling a kingdom is to be nosy. :XD It would be cool if a 12K equivalent of an intelligence organization like the FBI can be created. (If it doesn't go against Tentei's will, of course.)

Somehow I think that Kouya is much more popular than Shouryuu and Rokuta. Probably because he's, well, a god that protects travelers from youma in the Yellow Sea (which means people entrust their lives to his protection) with mysterious background.
The description of Kenrou Shinkun was that he protects anyone who enters the Yellow Sea so it's likely that he's more popular than the king and saiho of En who are only relevant to its citizens.

It's nice that Kouya is able to turn his life around since he used to assassinate people by using his youma- it's a subtle yet still noticeable character development.

Hmm... I'm not sure. Probably En. Mostly because like its king and taihou, I'm a great slacker. :XD
But talking about climate, probably I'm more suited for Ren or Sou, as I've lived all my life in a tropical country, so hot weather is a daily thing for me. :p
Maybe Ren would be the most fitting choice? Ren-ou doesn't necessary slack off (I don't think), but he doesn't seem the type to enjoy or engage much in politics as well. :XD

Perhaps when we get more information about the kingdoms, I can create a quiz about which kingdom would suit someone. I remember that the people of Tai are known to be hot-blooded, and I would love to what the characteristics are for the rest.

yukihime03

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Sorry, I took so long to reply.

It's too bad because there are a lot of LN titles out there that haven't been translated nor animated.
Yeah. I really think there are some good light novels in Japan that have really good story, but because of language barrier, do not gain the attention they deserve. And sadly my Japanese is still really lacking. :emocat

Ah, those are good points. I have a feeling that if Fuukan wasn't a king (but was still a sennin), he and Rikou would have travelled together. If there was a fork in the road, they would most likely walk along different paths though. :p
Indeed. They are very similar because they both love freedom and independence. :XD

I can picture that scenario happening. :hee

I wonder if the key to success in ruling a kingdom is to be nosy. :XD It would be cool if a 12K equivalent of an intelligence organization like the FBI can be created. (If it doesn't go against Tentei's will, of course.)
I really want to see that scenario happening. :lmao

Well, nosy to a level is actually good of course, as long as you don't interfere. By being nosy, you can actually learn a lot of things.
I don't think Tentei will agree to something like FBI though...

The description of Kenrou Shinkun was that he protects anyone who enters the Yellow Sea so it's likely that he's more popular than the king and saiho of En who are only relevant to its citizens.

It's nice that Kouya is able to turn his life around since he used to assassinate people by using his youma- it's a subtle yet still noticeable character development.
Kouya actually is a good person, it's just that he grows up under bad influences, but yeah, it's good that he can finally live to serve a higher purpose.

Maybe Ren would be the most fitting choice? Ren-ou doesn't necessary slack off (I don't think), but he doesn't seem the type to enjoy or engage much in politics as well. :XD

Perhaps when we get more information about the kingdoms, I can create a quiz about which kingdom would suit someone. I remember that the people of Tai are known to be hot-blooded, and I would love to what the characteristics are for the rest.
We probably will get along nicely, though I have to admit I don't like gardening or farming. :p

Well, the question is only whether we will ever know more...

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
No worries!

Yeah. I really think there are some good light novels in Japan that have really good story, but because of language barrier, do not gain the attention they deserve. And sadly my Japanese is still really lacking. :emocat
There are many skilled translators who work for Edited Manga groups, but I guess there's a difference between translating dialogue vs. translating dialogue AND narration. It seems as if light novel fans go to different websites to read different works, and it would be nice if there was an aggregated site (like Mangafox or Mangareader) for light novels.

Indeed. They are very similar because they both love freedom and independence. :XD
Yup! :XD A short story about their first encounter would be really interesting to read. How did they meet, and what was the world like when they first met?

I really want to see that scenario happening. :lmao

Well, nosy to a level is actually good of course, as long as you don't interfere. By being nosy, you can actually learn a lot of things.
I don't think Tentei will agree to something like FBI though...
The fact that there hasn't been a UN-like organization set up implies that Tentei doesn't really want much interaction between the kingdoms. A kingdom spying on other kingdoms would definitely be frowned upon.

I read that our world is like the ocean where living things can move around freely whereas the 12K world is like an aquarium where an outsider (i.e. Tentei) controls everything in it.

Kouya actually is a good person, it's just that he grows up under bad influences, but yeah, it's good that he can finally live to serve a higher purpose.
Yeah. He's been longing for human interaction for so long that he grew attached to the one person who seemed to care for him. It's just too bad that the person was Atsuyu; if it was someone else who raised him or if Kouya decided to go to Rokuta earlier, things might have turned out differently.

We probably will get along nicely, though I have to admit I don't like gardening or farming. :p

Well, the question is only whether we will ever know more...
Since Ren's king is a farmer, I wonder if the country has become agriculture oriented much like how Han has become a kingdom of artisans.

I'd like to know what's going on in Shun at least or what things are like in Tai. Hopefully Ono-sensei can be inspired to write again.

tonbotomoe

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just started to get into the twelve kingdoms lately. super glad that this thread exists! however, i'm waiting to acquire the physical novel instead of reading the fan translations. however, it seems like there's no plan on the english release of the volumes beyond the fourth one?

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just started to get into the twelve kingdoms lately. super glad that this thread exists! however, i'm waiting to acquire the physical novel instead of reading the fan translations. however, it seems like there's no plan on the english release of the volumes beyond the fourth one?
Unfortunately there aren't any plans to release the rest of the series. Apparently there are some significant name changes to the translation compared to the fan translations/original novels so I have to warn you about that.

Hope you enjoy the series, and please check back to the thread! :)

yukihime03

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
There are many skilled translators who work for Edited Manga groups, but I guess there's a difference between translating dialogue vs. translating dialogue AND narration. It seems as if light novel fans go to different websites to read different works, and it would be nice if there was an aggregated site (like Mangafox or Mangareader) for light novels.
Hmm.. that's a good idea. That kind of site will surely help people to find more LN and at the same time, boost LN's popularity. Sadly I do not have the time or energy to make that kind of site. :(

Yup! :XD A short story about their first encounter would be really interesting to read. How did they meet, and what was the world like when they first met?
Why do I have a feeling they dislike each other in their first encounter?

The fact that there hasn't been a UN-like organization set up implies that Tentei doesn't really want much interaction between the kingdoms. A kingdom spying on other kingdoms would definitely be frowned upon.

I read that our world is like the ocean where living things can move around freely whereas the 12K world is like an aquarium where an outsider (i.e. Tentei) controls everything in it.
Theoretically, in our world, countries are not supposed to interfere with other country's internal problems too and that kind of thing is certainly frowned upon by the general mass, but hey, we don't have a god like Tentei, so... *shrug*

Yeah. He's been longing for human interaction for so long that he grew attached to the one person who seemed to care for him. It's just too bad that the person was Atsuyu; if it was someone else who raised him or if Kouya decided to go to Rokuta earlier, things might have turned out differently.
But I think, in a way, I think this kind of life (as Shinkun) he has now is the best for him. Sure, his past is dark but if it leads to where he is now, I don't think it's all that bad in retrospect.

Since Ren's king is a farmer, I wonder if the country has become agriculture oriented much like how Han has become a kingdom of artisans.

I'd like to know what's going on in Shun at least or what things are like in Tai. Hopefully Ono-sensei can be inspired to write again.
If Ren is also agriculture country, then how much different that is from my country right now...?

...oh wait, Ren doesn't have extremely corrupted government.

I hope so too.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Hi! I didn't expect we're going to have another people in here, but I'm glad you decide to come here! Like asarii said, I hope you'll enjoy the series and come back here!

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hmm.. that's a good idea. That kind of site will surely help people to find more LN and at the same time, boost LN's popularity. Sadly I do not have the time or energy to make that kind of site. :(
There's apparently an app that hosts light novels, but there aren't a lot of translations out. I also don't have the time nor energy to make a site like that so I hope someone who is web savvy would make something like it.

Why do I have a feeling they dislike each other in their first encounter?
It's interesting how you think that they may have disliked each other in their first encounter. If that's the case, I wonder how they became friends or at least allies.

Theoretically, in our world, countries are not supposed to interfere with other country's internal problems too and that kind of thing is certainly frowned upon by the general mass, but hey, we don't have a god like Tentei, so... *shrug*
That's true, and it's one of the reasons why war happens in our world.

What I find interesting is that gods in the 12K world may or may not appear to be human in appearance. If Tentei is like Seioubo and looks like an ordinary human, it would be strange to think of him as someone who created the world.

But I think, in a way, I think this kind of life (as Shinkun) he has now is the best for him. Sure, his past is dark but if it leads to where he is now, I don't think it's all that bad in retrospect.
This is why I don't think he will return to En any time soon because he found his true home in Koukai. I do wonder if he thinks about Rokuta from time to time though.

If Ren is also agriculture country, then how much different that is from my country right now...?

...oh wait, Ren doesn't have extremely corrupted government.
I'm not sure where you are from so I'll take your word for it. :^_^

I'm sure Ren has a good king and government, but its focus was based on Taiki's POV so it's still unknown what the average citizen is like.

tonbotomoe

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I finished the first novel the sea of shadow and i was absolutely charmed by the world building, the mythology, and yoko's character growth. she has definitely become my favorite heroine. she's just so real and relatable. her struggles resonated with me and the amount of strength and fortitude she gained throughout her journey was just impeccable and sublime. I started on the second book, sea of the wind but i just couldn't let go of yoko's story just yet ( i belatedly realized that each novel focuses on different characters) so i'm probably going to read the skies of dawn next. it's really too bad that kodansha has no plans of releasing english tranlations of the novels because i would definitely purchase them. i'm glad fuyumi ono released last year cause it means that she still has at least some of the twelve kingdoms story in her. i just hope she continues it

Last edited: