Hangout - The Sports Hang-Out Thread! | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout The Sports Hang-Out Thread!

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Re: The Sport Thread!

THREE GUESSES WHICH COUNTRY JUST WON THE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP FOR SOCCER UNDER 21!!

Yes, right on the first guess, it was THE NETHERLANDS!! ^^

... you saw it on tv? oh, yeah... unfair guess then.

Only a minor thing, the "under 21", but still... now for that World Cup!!

Verena

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score

Never liked Football...
Gotta love Rugby, such a fun sport to watch!
Cricket is better to play than to watch, unfortunately.
In school, we're forced to play Badminton (err) Netball (errrreerrr) HRE(Health related exercise =3) Althletics (=3) Dance (>.<) and Gymnastics (>.<)
Why can't we do something useful, like a matial art? Tut-tut.

Tanuki-dono

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

karasu said:
ooh softball.. was it a mixed?
i played softball back in singapore..but it was all guys..
our school was a famous one for softball..
i played 2 matches and won during the southern singapore preliminary..
one was a close one, and they called me the lucky batter..
coz i was a newbie.. very2 nervous in the batter box and i never noticed the coach's sign..
even when i noticed it.. i forgot what the sign meant..
runner at 3rd, 1 out, and score is 3-3... i suppose he wanted me to bunt i think.. but i couldn't think at all..
but yeah..i hit.. the ball lobbed a little bit above the pitcher's hand, he can't reach it, and the ball dropped between him and the 2nd base..
i ran to first.. runner ran home.. they threw at home.. but too late, he was safe..i had enough time to 2nd base..
and after 2 blunder pitch (he was shocked..).. i ran home :D we won by 2 points
corz the coach was mad... it was a real lucky shot...

i had my wrist injured in the 2nd match... we were winning by 35 points or so... they stopped the match just after 6 innings... coz they can't stop us at all (no out, first and 2nd pitcher too tired, no other pitcher left.. they put someone who can't pitch as pitcher then.. ) and the sun is setting.. they gave up.. but yeah.. i was over excited after scoring 1 points.. (i got 2 batting turns in one inning :D) and injured my wrist when i bat :(

we lost at the national finals.. i didn't play during the finals due to that injury..
Wow - sounds exciting! (I didn't play mixed, nope. I played fastpitch all-girls high school ball. I'm considering playing mixed elsewhere, though. They have it available in some places... I miss it so much that I might join a league or something.)

Hehee... Your experience in the batter's box is something I can related to. Signs can be an annoying thing to contend with, especially when the pressure's on. My freshman year, we had an insane coach that liked to change the sign every inning, and during the inning, they changed according to how many outs we had. He was paranoid and often looked like he was dancing rather than giving signs. But he was mentally insane in the end (I'm not kidding) and he got fired, so the years after...I didn't have to deal with it.

You lucky, batter you. A win by 2 points is an adrenaline win - how high was the tension during that last inning? Heh, yeah, the coach probably wanted a bunt, but what you gave worked just as well. :thumbs Almost like a slap or something, then, haha! That's really fun,though. I bet it's a great memory to have! And the 2nd match - dang! You guys were winning by <i>how</i> many points? 35?! Man, you whooped up on the other team for sure. :p

Injuries stink, don't they? <s>Gods, I know about that feeling...</s> Maybe you could have helped your team out if your wrist had cooperated! :)

The Boff

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Tanuki-dono said:
if you remove abusive coaches from the mix.
hey now! sometimes you have to be a little abusive. trust me, ive coached 2 rugby teams (one dudes and one dudettes) and sometimes
you have to be a hardass... i dont like doing it but sometimes you gotta.

Tanuki-dono

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

BoffenJL said:
hey now! sometimes you have to be a little abusive. trust me, ive coached 2 rugby teams (one dudes and one dudettes) and sometimes
you have to be a hardass... i dont like doing it but sometimes you gotta.
There's a difference between a "little" abusive and "a lot" abusive, which is what I went through. :) I agree that you have to stay on people in order to bring out their full potential. But I like consistent strictness.... I hate it when I feel like I'm walking on eggshells, and the rules can twist, bed, and change at any given moment. The coach I'm referring to was mentall unstable. Of that I'm sure. He rocked back and forth when he was upset, he was a bit...er...sexual towards the players, etc, etc.... :scry

The Boff

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Tanuki-dono said:
There's a difference between a "little" abusive and "a lot" abusive, which is what I went through. :)
he was a bit...er...sexual towards the players, etc, etc.... :scry
yeah i probably fall under the "sometimes abusive" category.
WHOA??? holy shit.. just kick him in the nuts! HARD!

Tanuki-dono

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

BoffenJL said:
yeah i probably fall under the "sometimes abusive" category.
WHOA??? holy shit.. just kick him in the nuts! HARD!
Alas. If I were the same confident girl then that I am now, I would have done much more than that. For starters, I would have gone up in the pyramid of authority when he banned us from drinking water during conditioning. (That's actually really dangerous!) But it's hard to explain...all of us were timid and caught in this...psychologically disturbing fog, maybe? I can't precisely describe it in words...

I bet you're a tough coach, but I doubt you're abusive. The best coaches I've had have, consequently, worked me the hardest. As long as the coach is secure and trustworthy, working hard and getting in trouble is bearable. :thumbs

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

Tanuki-dono said:
Alas. If I were the same confident girl then that I am now, I would have done much more than that.
i know what u mean. with hindsight we sometimes go "why didn't i do this or that". that coach sounds to have gone beyond a 'little' abusive. he must belong to the "what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger" camp of thinking.

but wow! you're a real sport nut (meant as a compliment) :smile-big. reading your post really makes me envious...i'm not much good at sports...In fact, school has left me with a slight phobia of any team sports...i was always the last one picked for teams - basketball, softball, soccer. very bad hand-eye-feet coordination. in my final year...there were only 11 in my class. guess who was the veteran 'Reserve' for all team events? :amuse So, i ended up going for track and field events like the sprints. Loved the 100m sprints. But back in those days...we didn't really pay much attention to warm-ups or stretches or such. just get on the track and run your heart out :smile-big ended up injuring my (L) knee from one sport meet. nowadays i stick to aero/gym work-outs. plan to pick up yoga soon.

Tanuki-dono

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Brede said:
i know what u mean. with hindsight we sometimes go "why didn't i do this or that". that coach sounds to have gone beyond a 'little' abusive. he must belong to the "what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger" camp of thinking.

but wow! you're a real sport nut (meant as a compliment) :smile-big. reading your post really makes me envious...i'm not much good at sports...In fact, school has left me with a slight phobia of any team sports...i was always the last one picked for teams - basketball, softball, soccer. very bad hand-eye-feet coordination. in my final year...there were only 11 in my class. guess who was the veteran 'Reserve' for all team events? :amuse So, i ended up going for track and field events like the sprints. Loved the 100m sprints. But back in those days...we didn't really pay much attention to warm-ups or stretches or such. just get on the track and run your heart out :smile-big ended up injuring my (L) knee from one sport meet. nowadays i stick to aero/gym work-outs. plan to pick up yoga soon.
^^; Sport-nut, huh? Maybe a bit. I'm not so bad anymore, since college started. And in the end, pointless injuries sent me home with my tail tucked. I stick to gym/aero now, too. You mention yoga - I tired it last week! It was actually very nice. Challenging, but a good workout. You have to keep you chest and hips so aligned and hold for so long! :O

As for picking teams, sometimes I didn't get credit. And I'd get picked towards the end in P.E.. I played up age groups with my sister and older peers usually (in teams and such), so my own peers really didn't have a gage on what I could do. It always made me mad and and I wound up catching fire and playing my heart out. Plus, that stuff was based more on popularity, anyways, so I wasn't up there in the picking part. -_-; I don't exactly look terribly athletic either. I'm in shape, yes. But I mean, I have muscles and stuff sure, but I was always round and soft, so people thought I wasn't the tomboy sports-girl where I live. Yet, the towns all around always respected me and knew my name. Weird, huh?

But man. I really respect you for doing track! That's hard stuff. (At least, to me.) Shin-splints and all that crap goes along with that sport. And for some reason, I could never run very hard for track. For me to be at my fullest, I had to be chasing soemthing. ^^; I'm such a dork - Sorry to hear about your knee, though. >.< Stretching and warmup is very important. But I'm sure you know that in hindsight, neh? What exactly happened? Did you fall or did it just jam up? :(

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

And though I don't have the initmate understanding of football (American not soccer) as far as the more specific ruls and plays go, I ADORE watching it. It's very exciting. I watched a lot of college football this last fall.
Hey, if ever have any questions, Erin, shoot away ^^ ( I'm probably the biggest football-nut on the forums. )

And sorry about the abusive coach; there's definitely too much of that going on. I guess that's what you get when you have so many schools and teams across the country and not enough nice people to take care of these kids. It happens more often than we all would like to believe...

I ran track too myself, Brede. But I didn't like it too much. I mainly did it to get faster for football, but it just bored the heck out of me. No offense. Plus, we had a guy on the team that was worlds better than everybody else, it tended to make me feel a little inadequate back then. I was even happier to get back on the football field and be the "top dog" again, if ya know what I mean (especially my senior year).

Although they did need me to start off a relay race 'cause somebody had to go home. It was for a county championship, and we won, so that was something I never dreamed I'd be a part of - so I still had good memories.

Then there was that one time where I went on the gunshot and ran half the track not knowing there had been a false start... and somebody had to jump out in front of me to tell me to stop XD ( For once, I thought I was in the lead all the way! )

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

Gold Knight said:
Then there was that one time where I went on the gunshot and ran half the track not knowing there had been a false start... and somebody had to jump out in front of me to tell me to stop XD ( For once, I thought I was in the lead all the way! )
:loool i suddenly remembered a scene from the movie Forest Gump where he was running on the football field and ppl were trying to tell him to stop running...

Tanuki-dono said:
But I'm sure you know that in hindsight, neh? What exactly happened? Did you fall or did it just jam up? :(
yeap. my leg sorta jammed. i didn't fall or anything, just suddenly felt this sharp tug in my (L) thigh and knee and of course pain. it was like a really bad case of cramp. I actually thought that it was just a cramp and after some 'rudimentary' massage, i went back on the track. Something along the lines of 'my team needs me'...rather stupid really since there're much faster ppl on the team anyway :darn 2nd event, sharper tug, worse pain...end of story for my knee. never been quite right since then :smile-big i decided track was not my thing after all...

Tanuki-dono

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Brede said:
yeap. my leg sorta jammed. i didn't fall or anything, just suddenly felt this sharp tug in my (L) thigh and knee and of course pain. it was like a really bad case of cramp. I actually thought that it was just a cramp and after some 'rudimentary' massage, i went back on the track. Something along the lines of 'my team needs me'...rather stupid really since there're much faster ppl on the team anyway :darn 2nd event, sharper tug, worse pain...end of story for my knee. never been quite right since then :smile-big i decided track was not my thing after all...
Awww... I'm sorry to hear that. I hate that "mind over body" thing we tend to do. Usually, it winds up being bad for our bodies. >_<

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

^ That is true. But everything requires sacrifice, if you really want it. That's just how life is.

My fingers, for one thing, will probably never be the same again, I jammed them so much playing football... >.< But at least I can still draw XD

Rampages

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Argh, I broke the door to the computer room with my foot, and now can't play soccer for about 3 weeks...lol

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

Rampage said:
Argh, I broke the door to the computer room with my foot, and now can't play soccer for about 3 weeks...lol
how did you do that? u can't play football becos your foot is injured or as punishment for breaking the door? :headscratch

JeffDoogins

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Verena said:
Never liked Football...
Gotta love Rugby, such a fun sport to watch!
Cricket is better to play than to watch, unfortunately.
In school, we're forced to play Badminton (err) Netball (errrreerrr) HRE(Health related exercise =3) Althletics (=3) Dance (>.<) and Gymnastics (>.<)
Why can't we do something useful, like a matial art? Tut-tut.
Oh My God! we think along the same lines except the female sport part and i dont mind football (ie soccer) where are you?

any way the best sport in my opinion is rugby league or union, it may just be my kiwi genes speaking out here but i dont care GO THE ALL BLACKS!! KICKASS LIKE LAST YEAR!! :XD :smile-big

and to the sports i dont like or just plain dont understand.......

Grid iron - the only thing i like about it are the movies ie the replacements or remember the titans. The sport is strange to me because i like games that are almost continuos, not just play for 7 seconds then set up the field again, also all those injuries?! from what? bunch of whooses, in rugby you get spear tackeled drop the ball get up straight away then pin the guy who just tackeled you to the ground....and all that padding used, thats probably what hurts them........

AFL (Australian Football League, not soccer ) - ok i grew up with this sport and understand it pretty well but for the love of god, it is the most energetic and yet boring sport you can come across (except maybe lawn bowls and curling but there not energetic :amuse) . It's aparrently the most aussiest of sports, despite the fact that it originated in Ireland from the game Galic Football. I probably dont like it more because where i am its everywhere, the media just absolutely flood it and heaps of people i know just cant get over it

then the rest of the sports i dont mind as much - baseball, basketball, cricket, ice hockey (i have never ever ever seen a propper game whether it be on television, the internet or the real thing, except of course the 3 mighty ducks movies :smile-big) volleyball, tennis, etc

Rampages

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Brede said:
how did you do that? u can't play football becos your foot is injured or as punishment for breaking the door? :headscratch
Well I hurt my foot while breaking the door (I was on a rampage :s ), so now I can't play soccer cos it hurts lol. I can only watch it on tv and wish I was playing XD

Lesson of this story: Don't break doors by kicking on them!

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

Rampage said:
Lesson of this story: Don't break doors by kicking on them!
...erm...how 'bout don't break doors? :rofl anywayz, hope your foot gets better real soon!

Rampages

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Brede said:
...erm...how 'bout don't break doors? :rofl anywayz, hope your foot gets better real soon!
Thanks lol, I just hurt my finger today, it got twisted in a weird position...guess I have to give up basketball for a while as well hahaha...ha...

Tanuki-dono

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Rampage, you total nut! :D Be careful!