Discussion - The Sin's Coup D'etat | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Sin's Coup D'etat

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
A lot has been speculated on what actually triggered the events which led to them being declared as villains who plan to destroy the Kingdom. It's obvious that they've been tricked and/or betrayed in some way, but what are your theories about what really happened back then? Who do you think is the mastermind behind all this? Someone from the Holy Knights faction or maybe even one of the Sins?

I don't see any of the currently known Sins being actually involved in this but one never knows.

Hamy

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
I think among the current Sins the only one I'd give a free pass to at the moment is King. Sure he did join the knights temporarily but it doesn't seem like it was related to the plot years ago, it was more of a reaction to finding out what had happened to his hometown. In addition, he's pretty transparent unlike the other two Sins.

Diane... Well she is somewhat hard to grasp as she's obviously rather flaky and can really turn around from one moment to another, and her past still hasn't been revealed. As for Ban I don't think we need to go into detail regarding his character. Though I agree it does seem like the remaining Sins are the likely candidates to being involved. Just to be thematic though I'd wager the sin of Lust or Pride being more responsible for this.

Last edited:

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i really think that the Holy Knights themselves killed Gilthunder's Father (Leader of Holy Knights) and blame the Sins for it

from what i see Gilthunder idolized Meliodias when he was a kid and maybe Gilthunder's father and Meliodias are friends or knew each other and the Holy Knights used that as an advantage to perform their deed

i think the king himself knows that the sin didn't kill the leader of the Holy Knights but maybe under pressure from the holy knights named the SINS as a perpetrator for the killing of Gilthunder's father

i think Hendriksen's faction is the one to blame for the killing of Gilthunder's father i mean they are called Holy Knights and Hendriksen's faction use demon's blood to get stronger i think that Gilthunder's father knew about it and he planned a meeting with the SINS on the day he died and someone from the Holy Knights told Hendriksen's faction about the meeting and they killed Gilthunder's father and when the SINS arrive he was already dead

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
i really think that the Holy Knights themselves killed Gilthunder's Father (Leader of Holy Knights) and blame the Sins for it

from what i see Gilthunder idolized Meliodias when he was a kid and maybe Gilthunder's father and Meliodias are friends or knew each other and the Holy Knights used that as an advantage to perform their deed

i think the king himself knows that the sin didn't kill the leader of the Holy Knights but maybe under pressure from the holy knights named the SINS as a perpetrator for the killing of Gilthunder's father

i think Hendriksen's faction is the one to blame for the killing of Gilthunder's father i mean they are called Holy Knights and Hendriksen's faction use demon's blood to get stronger i think that Gilthunder's father knew about it and he planned a meeting with the SINS on the day he died and someone from the Holy Knights told Hendriksen's faction about the meeting and they killed Gilthunder's father and when the SINS arrive he was already dead
The events of the cup d'etat are different than the events related to the Great Holy Knight murder. The cup d'état just happened some days before Ali finds Meliodas in the Board hat, the events of the first chapter. The murder of the Great Holly Knight happened 10 years before to that moment. Just in case you are mixing them.

In fact, there has been no much speculation about the cup d'état. The reasons seems to be related to the position of the Former King of Lyonesse towards the prophecy of the Holy War. The captured King and all the knights knew there was going to be a Holy War, according to the prophecy. To avoid it, the king ordered the Knights to lay down their swords. Some of them didn't approve it and schemed the cup d’état. After capturing the King, they have been preparing to the war. Now the preparations are of two kinds; some of them (Hendricksen and Helbram among them) started to create new powerful Knights out of the apprentices and using the Demon blood. The others don't know about it (Dreyfus, Gildmore, Hauser).

Now, one interesting fact of all this political event is that nobody, nor the king, neither the Knights seems to know against who they are going to fight this holy war of the prophecy. All of them have blindly believed that prophecy, even ignoring who is the enemy. But it's possible someone among them knows much more about that prophecy than what has been shown.

Last edited:

Samui

Reaction score
Country
Israel
The events of the cup d'etat are different than the events related to the Great Holy Knight murder. The cup d'état just happened some days before Ali finds Meliodas in the Board hat, the events of the first chapter. The murder of the Great Holly Knight happened 10 years before to that moment. Just in case you are mixing them.

In fact, there has been no much speculation about the cup d'état. The reasons seems to be related to the position of the Former King of Lyonesse towards the prophecy of the Holy War. The captured King and all the knights knew there was going to be a Holy War, according to the prophecy. To avoid it, the king ordered the Knights to lay down their swords. Some of them didn't approve it and schemed the cup d’état. After capturing the King, they have been preparing to the war. Now the preparations are of two kinds; some of them (Hendricksen and Helbram among them) started to create new powerful Knights out of the apprentices and using the Demon blood. The others don't know about it (Dreyfus, Gildmore, Hauser).

Now, one interesting fact of all this political event is that nobody, nor the king, neither the Knights seems to know against who they are going to fight this holy war of the prophecy. All of them have blindly believed that prophecy, even ignoring who is the enemy. But it's possible someone among them knows much more about that prophecy than what has been shown.
I wonder if Dreyfus' intentions have something to do with the weird symbol on Meliodas' forehead. Like I mentioned in the Hangout thread, the book Dreyfus was reading in chapter 29 had the very same symbol drawn on the page.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
That was a nice catch. Studying the sins is a logical action if you are going to attack them. And Dreyfus and Gildmore have tried to beat the sins twice (in the forest of white dreams and using King) and failed. Anyway, he could not be behind the current attack of Helbram.

Samui

Reaction score
Country
Israel
That was a nice catch. Studying the sins is a logical action if you are going to attack them. And Dreyfus and Gildmore have tried to beat the sins twice (in the forest of white dreams and using King) and failed. Anyway, he could not be behind the current attack of Helbram.
There's something else interesting.

We know that Diane doesn't seem to know about that symbol and why Meliodas has it, so how come does Dreyfus know this? There's info on it written in a book, to boot.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
There's something else interesting.

We know that Diane doesn't seem to know about that symbol and why Meliodas has it, so how come does Dreyfus know this? There's info on it written in a book, to boot.
Well before, we see the symbol appear on Meliodas' forehead, we see a flashback with Ban and Meliodas. In there, it is imo implied that Meliodas gets angry if Ban would grab his sword.

In another thread, I connect Meliodas' wrath with his crime 'failure of protecting the kingdom'. The sword is - what I still believe - the weapon of Liz which got broken in a fight against evil which attacked Danafor. Danafor was destroyed and the sin of wrath, is Meliodas' crime.

That symbol is connected to the sword. Its so important to him that whenever someone wants to grab it, it awakens a certain wrath