Games - The RPG thread | Page 40 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games The RPG thread

kakashi919

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Oh boy I never got to finish Radiant Historia, looking forward to his remake :3

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
God, that looks amazing.

With that and Dragon Quest XI 2018 looks like it could be a crazy good JRPG year.

----------------------------------------

I've been playing Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel on PC and it's kind of great. And the port is surprisingly good. It's just a nice solid old school JRPG.

MotifSky

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Final Fantasy 8 is best ever final fantasy imo..it perfect characters,plot n combat system.

Dragon Quest i enjoyed altho grinding an hour or 2 to gain 2 or 3 levels annoyed. and the plot kinda died in last half..n end boss was quite easy

Mass effect 1 is good game with some replay value not tried 2 yet as xbox broke.

Dragon Age is a decent Wrpg.

the last Rpg i enjoyed was either FF13 or The Last Remnant..i think i prefer Last Remnant tho fav rpg from the next gen consoles

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sega has announced Valkyria Chronicles 4 with a tentative release date of 2018.

This might be my most anticipated JRPG right now. After the awful Revolution game I thought the franchise was dead. I figured it was just going to be another classic example of an RPG getting turned it into an action game and dying.

But it looks like Sega learned from their mistake. They are bringing back the original battle system and making a game that looks like the first three.

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sega has announced Valkyria Chronicles 4 with a tentative release date of 2018.

This might be my most anticipated JRPG right now. After the awful Revolution game I thought the franchise was dead. I figured it was just going to be another classic example of an RPG getting turned it into an action game and dying.

But it looks like Sega learned from their mistake. They are bringing back the original battle system and making a game that looks like the first three.
Is it coming out for the PSP only or is it also coming out for the PS4!

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it coming out for the PSP only or is it also coming out for the PS4!
Ha..ha..funny stuff.:hmph

Feast your eyes on this!

(also coming to Xbox One and Switch)​

They are doing it for real this time. Legit voice cast. Classic battle system. Not locking it away where nobody can find it. The whole deal. They have already even declared it's coming west sometime next year. I know this is a mistake but I'm starting to believe in SEGA again.

It's like Atlus has shown them the way with Persona 5. People tend to forget that Atlus is actually a subsidiary of SEGA.

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Woah! Loving it. I was excited for Revolution but after reading the reviews, I didn't get it. And also, after the first game on the PS3, I was hoping Valkyria 2 would debut on the PS3, but it came out for the PSP. Glad Valkyira 4 is coming out for the PS4!

Also, I didn't know Atlus was a subsidiary of Sega. Love their games!

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sega bought Atlus a few years ago though they still give them freedom to do as they please. IIRC, it’s implied that Sega may give them permission to work on some of their old RPG game series.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sega bought Atlus a few years ago though they still give them freedom to do as they please. IIRC, it’s implied that Sega may give them permission to work on some of their old RPG game series.
And the way they have allowed Atlus to be Atlus really shows some significant progress as a company. Years ago they would have messed that up. 100%.

The fact that they made Valkyria Chronicles 3, in my opinion the best Valkyria Chronicles game, on the PSP and that they never even brought it west is just insane. Yet somehow brought Valkyria Revolution... which less said about that the better. Then the whole weird way they handled Yakuza. Just a lot of obvious bad decisions.

This year they came out with Yakuza 0. A great starting point for that franchise (and something that got me into it). And following that up with the Yakuza Kiwami remasters which I'm enjoying very much.

Had Atlus release Persona 5. Which would be my personal game of the year if not for Divinity Original Sin 2.

A great Sonic Collection that makes it finally feel like they have a way forward with the franchise.

They're also the publisher backing the awesome Total War: Warhammer games.

SEGA is starting to seem like kind of a great game publisher again. I'm so used to them shooting themselves in the foot that it's hard to believe but they have contributed a lot to gaming this year. And haven't really don't anything stupid that I'm aware of.

Goral

Reaction score
Country
Poland
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/felipepepes-encyclopedic-crpg-book-released.120290/

Today, esteemed community member felipepepe has released his CRPG Book Project -- a veritable encyclopedia of computer RPG knowledge. You can download it for free here.

600 hours of gameplay! 528 pages of content! 244+ Maps in the game to explore! 400+ RPGs in the book to explore! 64 intelligent NPCs with 8000 Words in Vocabulary! 112 intelligent contributors from all around the globe! It's all there, as described by felipepepe himself in a special blog post about the release:

Four years ago I began a journey.

On Feb 5 2014 I posted the results of the RPG Codex’s Top 70 poll, in which we elected the best CRPGs of all time. But I felt that a simple list was too dry… more than the ranking, I was interested in WHY these games were good. From there came the idea of asking people to write a short paragraph talking about each title.

This became an updated version of the Codex’s Top 70, now with screenshots and brief descriptions of each game. That’s my favorite piece of content I ever made, but I still wanted more – more games, more screenshots, longer reviews, tips on mods, fan-made patches, etc. So I made a list of all the RPGs I wanted to cover and began recruiting volunteers for the “CRPG Book Project”.

Having done the Top 70 list in 3 months, I thought I could do 300 games in about 10 months or so. Ha, it took me four years… but it is done!

Dear reader, I present you the full release of the CRPG BOOK PROJECT!

The book is first and foremost a collection of RPG reviews, but it also includes a number of articles on topics ranging from CRPG cartography to the origins of the genre. Quite a few Codexers have contributed to it, too, alongside the likes of Scorpia and Chris Avellone.

In the blog post, felipepepe also addresses the inevitable questions about the possibility of a hardback copy of the book, future proofreading plans, etc. He's looking for a good way to crowdfund the book or print it on demand without making it too expensive or too complicated in terms of taxes - so if you have an idea how he could go about doing that, do get in touch with him.
You can download the newest version here: https://crpgbook.wordpress.com/

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
This week I picked Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel back up on PC since the sequel was just released and I've been wow'd by this game. I'm not sure if anybody else here has played it but next to like Persona 5 this is one of the best JRPGs I've played in years.

It's a real hidden gem.

Which makes me curious. Has anybody stumbled across any other JRPG type games that have surprised them like that?

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
This week I picked Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel back up on PC since the sequel was just released and I've been wow'd by this game. I'm not sure if anybody else here has played it but next to like Persona 5 this is one of the best JRPGs I've played in years.

It's a real hidden gem.

Which makes me curious. Has anybody stumbled across any other JRPG type games that have surprised them like that?
I cannot say for sure if the game is underappreciated, but Brave Fencer Musashi is still one of my personal hidden gems which rarely brought up when people talk about classic JRPGs. Looking at the review scores now, I think the game wasn't even super well-received back then, but I enjoyed it a lot.

I have Legend of Heroes on my Steam, but haven't found time to play it yet. I'm glad that it seems the hype is justified.

TrienDarkform

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've got a backlog of Legend of Heroes to play going all the way back to Trails in the Sky I (events of which occur before ToCS, from what I understand?), which I got about an hour into (before getting pulled away by Elite: Dangerous), and I've really got to get back to it one of these days so I can continue on with Trails of Cold Steel. Heard lots of good things about them, and I've never been disappointed by any of the other Falcom games I've played (mainly Ys); plus they all have pretty awesome soundtracks as well.

The Ys series is a bit of a different beast from Trails though, less text, more action, and some oh so much fun boss fights. :P

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just finished Trails of Cold Steel 1. It's great. Good PC port too. Very slow paced and long. With a ton of text. In concept it's something I've never really seen before. The first game is basically all character and world building. It has a story but it's more about showing a nation inexorably falling into civil war.

The cast of characters are going to school and it really is focused on building the players connection and knowledge of the world. With the bulk of it going on "field studies" where you go to different major locations in the world and do some quests and witness some event or other. All of which eventually leads to something huge at the end the end of the game. Which leads directly into Trails of Cold Steel 2. Which I'm just starting.

Also...so many waifus.

And best of all none of the character are dressed in a way that looks completely stupid.(Lookin' at you Final Fantasy:-_-)

Last edited:

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, Falcom games have a lot of texts, which is why it take a while for them to come over here :sweatdrop Nevertheless, they're great games to play ^^

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Anybody play Lost Sphear?

I'm really rooting for Square-Enix's classic JRPG studio but I have not heard good things about that game.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
My brother tried the demo and enjoyed it. I don't think he bought the game yet though since he has other games to finish.

The Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem game was surprisingly good. The story was unexpected, but the gameplay was enjoyable.

VanilllaWare games are great too. I highly recommend their games, Odin Sphere and Muramasa.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
My brother tried the demo and enjoyed it. I don't think he bought the game yet though since he has other games to finish.

The Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem game was surprisingly good. The story was unexpected, but the gameplay was enjoyable.

VanilllaWare games are great too. I highly recommend their games, Odin Sphere and Muramasa.
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem was WiiU exclusive right? Hopefully they port that to Switch at some point. I don't have one of those yet but as soon as they release a new Fire Emblem for it that will change.

Yeah, I played Oden Sphere that game was great. Think I played Muramasa too but it didn't leave as strong of an impression for some reason.

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yep, it is a Wii U exclusive.

Have you tried the Odin Sphere remake for PS4?