Discussion - The popullarity of One Piece-Bleach-Naruto | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The popullarity of One Piece-Bleach-Naruto

Sorata

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
One Piece is the second most famous manga ever in Japan(just behind Kochikame), right now is the manga who sells most in Japan. One Piece anime is shown in Japan at 8 am and it´s allways in the top ten of anime audience, and Naruto and Bleach wich air ar 7 pm ,don´t go to the top ten lots of times. And the mangas of Naruto and Bleach are not even in the top ten sells of all time.

This was only information regarding Japan, but now in Europe and America, Bleach and Naruto are more famous than One Piece, specially Naruto, my doubt is why this situation happens.
I´m a great fan of One Piece, so i´m not the best person to talk, but i think it´s because the japanese are tired of cliché mangas who copy the greatest ones of the pass, because the plots we see in Naruto and Bleach look like the plots we used to see in Yu Yu Hakusho, Flame of Recca, Rurouni Kenshin and Dragon Ball, but One Piece on the other and is a new fresh type of Shonen Action manga. And for the ocidental people Naruto and Bleach are news because not everyone has read the great mangas of the past, this happens because in the past there was no Internet(maybe).

This is just my oppinion, i want to know what you think about this difference of poppularity in the different places.

Reiu

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
One Piece is the second most famous manga ever in Japan(just behind Kochikame)
On what basis are you suggesting that those are the most famous manga ever in Japan?

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I think that one piece over there is more popular because it's about pirates (which is something apart) while bleach is about shinigami/hollow/swordsfight and naruto is about ninja/shinobi. Indeed the action-shounen is not as cliche as we are used in naruto and bleach + the art is way different. Imo the story is what's making op way better than naruto and bleach

Stone

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
One Piece is the second most famous manga ever in Japan(just behind Kochikame).

Hmm... I thought Dragonball and perhaps SlamDunk were rated higher. Also might there perhaps be some none Shounens that are very famous...

Personally im not a OP fan, it had it's moments but insted of copying other shows i felt like it copyed itself in a way.(no not directly)
I just know that at chapter 411 my last spark for OP dissapeared.

Bleach had much more potential, but im not sure if the humor would had declined alot if the story had been more in the focus... So im kinda not sure what to think guess i'll just let Kubo do his work and imagine the other options.

Naruto is good but never been much of a fan of it. It's a read and throw away serie to me.

Still all 3 are good in there own ways and as they say: To each his own

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
well out of current runners its safe to say that one piece is incredibly popular (i believe one volume sold more than any other manga volume released or something), and That kochikame is indeed one of the most famous mangas EVER, but why are people only mentioning WSJ series?

I mean, detective conan anyone? thats pretty damn popular.

and these three series are also noteworthy of being 'the big three' of the WSJ series. always at the top, even 8 weeks after a shit chapter.

Reiu

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Sorata

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I said that One Piece is the second more famous because of an information in one Prince of Tennis thread about POT poppularity, and a guy put information regarding the most famous mangas, go to that thread and you will see.

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Poland
I will not write some review, I just want to throw my 2 cents onto topic :p

I think, that Naruto and Bleach are more popular out of Japan, because they are more comparable to normal readers (as it was with, for example with Dragonball). It's a good essence of shonen. No, I'm not saying OP is bad or something, but I think it has so many funny scenes, that they only are funny to people from Japan. And to that, outside from Japan I don;'t think there are to many people, that watch/read many titles of anime/manga, that they would know such things or such. That's all from me :x

Sorata

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
JuUnior you have a good point, and that is probably true, but it can´t be the only reason, One Piece isn´t just about funny stuff, in fact i don´t believe that the fact of the manga being fan is the only reason for it´s huge sucess in Japan.

ssjohn

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mean, detective conan anyone? thats pretty damn popular.
You also have to add in Inuyasha / Hajme no Ippo i mean i dont think either of those would still be running if they didnt have huge fan base following them.

Anyways onto the subject --

One piece is a more simple manga in my mind i mean i could pick up a random arc and just start there and understand what is going on there isnt a ton of back story you HAVE to read so its fun to watch and have your siblings/ freinds to watch read with you even if they are not into anime / manga.

Bleach is too complicated and Naruto kindof feels like it lost its charm.

But here is the major qustion out of all of these mangas what in 10- 15 years after its over are people still going to be fans of and still be loving as much as it was when it is running? Dragonball even if you don't like it has to be givin credit for the fact that still today millions of fans still love it and it is still one of the big series in japan and outside japan.

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada
In this case---How do you define "Famous"?

I define it this way:

The amount of of volumes sold.

It's easy to say there are other mangas that are more famous, but this is the only definitive statistic that is without a doubt undeniable.

One Piece is currently the most famous on-going manga in Japan. The most famous manga in the history of Japan is Dragonball.

Also, like Indiana said, One Piece has the single highest selling volume in the history (I think Volume 27) of mangas in Japan.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
All-Time Best Selling Jump Series
Title vol. Status Circulation
Dragon Ball 42 complete 150,000,000 - 160,000,000
Kochikame 151 ongoing 135,000,000 - 150,000,000
One Piece 45 ongoing 130,000,000
Kochikame is a manga ongoing since ... 1976.

Mangas were more popular 10 years ago than now in japan. Shounen jump had almost twice the number of readers in the early nineties. So, OnePiece success is just exceptionnal in the current situation ... and one piece deserve it.

But Bleach is also a famous manga ... and I really don't know why. Chapters from the last eight months were just horrible. Bleach is almost a STseiya plagiarism (captains/gold saints, saving rukia/saving saori, the bad guy is a captain (aizen) /gold saint (saga), ridiculous boost of power (ichigo/seiya)). Tite kubo is good for drawing cool characters but that's it. I like bleach but I don't know why :D. Bleach is just so full of defaults.

And I agree with a lot of people. Naruto have lost his charm. Naruto was an exceptionnal shounen but now ... just a good shounen.

Last edited:

Sorata

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I agree with you, in the beggining of Naruto i couldn´t wait a week to read a new chapter, but now is just a routine, the story is now pretty much predictable and the fights in their "adult form" aren´t near the first ones(Rock Lee-Gaara, Naruto-Neji, Naruto-Gaara and all the fights against the 5 from the sound), now the fights are just boring without any spicy thing.
Bleach lost it´s touch too because of the enemies, everyone liked the captains and agree that they have far more charisma than this new enemies, the readers are all waiting for Kenpachi, Biakuya and Hitsugaya to join the fight against the arrancars. And the story really resembles Saint Seya and the characters are like the ones from Yu Yu Hakusho.
One Piece on the other hand can keep the reader interested in the story even with big storylines(Baroque Works, Skypea and Water Seven/Cp9), the characters are quite unique, and it´s rare to see a shonen action manga without a "tournament thing".

So i think for people who read manga since the moment they born like the japanese, mangas like Bleach and Naruto are good but with a bit of cliché, the same don´t happens to One Piece which is an original type of Shonen Action manga.