Discussion - The Kakin Battle Royale | Page 7 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Kakin Battle Royale

Who will be the next prince to die?

• Total voters

Tavore

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
England
It is unknown if there is a connection between the machine and the parasitic jar ceremony. It is reasonable to assume there is, but we don't know. What we do know is that there are 14 coffins and 14 princes, which already creates a problem, because if all 14 princes are dead in the machine, then who becomes King?

Imho the most plausible scenario is that the machine will "fuse" the siblings, with the last survivor becoming the dominant body and mind. For that reason, I don't think Nasubi fits into a coffin, because that would mean he could win the succession war himself and that takes the word succession literally ad absurdum.
Before this chapter I assumed he planed on killing all his kids for ultimate power. But now I think after 13 die he plans on filling the last pod himself.

Last edited:

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Updated the poll and voted Benjamin.
He is so far ahead, it is time for him to go.

Tavore

Reaction score
Country
England
Updated the poll and voted Benjamin.
He is so far ahead, it is time for him to go.
To soon for Benjamin I'll go for the 7th.

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think it will be either Zhang Lei or Tubeppa.

Luzurus wasn't featured at all yet, but now the spiders work in his mafia family. I don't think he is done yet.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
To soon for Benjamin I'll go for the 7th.
We do not know what Luzurus's nenbeast does exactly and he has Basho protecting him AND he has contact to one Kakin Mafia tribe so still some roll to play in that battle.
I think he will not be gone very soon.

I can rather see lights out for Halkenburg right now to hype up tserriednich if he betrays halkenburg in some way.

Demonspeed

Runaway Kotarou
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I don't see how it could be Tsubeppa or Zhang Lei, they have been underused, especially the former. We don't know much about her subordinates, her plan etc. Ben is also too important right now.

As things are now, I'd say the ones with the highest chances to die are Halkenburg and Marayam.

uberfayt

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
At first I chose Tyson; she's pretty much the female version of Sale-Sale. However, I think Benjamin is likely to be next in the list; one of his soldiers was taken over, so that could lead to smthg. If it's not him then it will be either Halk or Fuugetsu.

My vote is Ben for now.

lulukaruins

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
For me Camilla. Just because I think she's all alone. I want Tyson to left early, though.

Admiral Teach

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
I feel like it could be any of them. Too many factors are at work and we haven't been given the full picture. Let's see...

Camilla: unlikely. Her death means her resurrection in most scenarios and the certain death of her killer not moments before. I'm sure there are ways for Benjamin to devise she kill herself, but he hasn't yet done so, as far as we know, and then there's her Nen Beast as a potential threat. There is no telling what it might do.

Fuugetsu: with the focus off of her for now, and Kacho dying not long ago, I feel like either Fuu will indeed go next, or the focus will shift significantly. Fuugetsu isn't going to participate actively in the war, and I doubt Melody would cooperate to that extent, since doing so inevitably means fighting other Hunters, specifically Kurapika. While it's definitely 50/50, I'd assume for now that it is not Fuugetsu. If Kacho's nen beast were not present, then absolutely, but not yet.

Benjamin: important and currently the most active player in the war, so far. Incredibly powerful, intelligent and well armed in every way. Either he goes down against Halkenburg soon, or I assume he remains a driving force. My belief is that he must live for a while yet. Without him, his soldier assassins lose real value in fighting and dying. Suicidal attacks would make sense for them to an extent, but will they really choose to end Kakin's royal line completely? Are they not patrioic Kakinites? But I could see his chances leaning more toward dying than most of the others, if only because of Halkenburg.

Halkenburg: Same place as with Benjamin. He's on the move, and he intends to win. Either there will be a clash soon, or he will play the game more efficiently. How he moves changes the entire dynamics of the war. I would assume he lives for a while yet. He won't be the next to go. But if there is a confrontation between him and Benjamin, I would assume he will win and Ben is the next to die, definitely. But not Halkenburg. Too much focus was put on him from the very start for him to just kick the bucket without good plot reason, and so far there isn't a concrete death flag, that I've seen, anyway.:hmm

Wobbl: will be future Queen/King of Kakin. I just don't see Togashi-sensei killing her next. Or at all. Certainly not with the banquet set-up. If he was going to do it or be allowed to get away with infanticide in his manga, something tells me he'd have done it early in the war.:cookiehand
Marayam: Considering the night perfect fortress that his room has now become, with excellent pro hunters guarding him, I just don't know how in the world he's going to be killed, at all. It's not in the works right now, unless the set-up has been brilliantly laid. Which... Togashi could do.:bishie

Tsubeppa: is it a her or a him? I hope for a he, because poor Tsubeppa is ugly as can be. And also underutilized. But he's also in league or trying to be in league with the 4th. His survival rating is quite honestly low, as is the usefulness of his nen beast. For purposes of the plot, what good is he, really? Not too much. An expendable, if interesting person.

Zhan Lei: I am biased here. :snidely His guardian beast is my favorite. And he is my favorite Prince next to Halkenburg and Fuugetsu. As an actual monarch, I feel he's a good candidate, and would have hoped for him to reign, were it not for the dark confirmation that there can be only one.:biblethump So, I can imagine him dying some time in the future. But it seems like he's being ignored a little too much. I do recall that he gave up some guards to Kurapika. I imagine he could be pretty easy to assassinate, assuming his Nen Beast's coins aren't overpowered or super-convenient.

Tyson: Is all about :fangirl2 all the time. Her Beast looks like it might just be able to convert large numbers to her religion, but it is really like what others have said, she is a female Sale-Sale. She therefore has a chance of dying at just about any time.

Tserriednich: It would simply be a total :shockmoment if he died at the banquet. And it would likely be somewhat anticlimactic for a lot of readers. The buildup for this guy is real. He will be final villain, and is least likely to die.

Luzurus: he has ties to the mafia, and I could see an assassin or careless spider getting to him and just offing the poor man for no good reason. But something tells me his involvement with the mafia, along with Tserriednich and Zhang Lei, will have a dynamic all its own in coming chapters. Togashi seems to be increasing the pace, so it is likely that some plot points will either be significantly condensed or dropped entirely. Could likely be that characters who were supposed to receive development will not get any attention, especially people doomed to die.

Right now, the most active seem like the most likely to end up dead, given recent events. This would mean Benjamin, Halkenburg and Tserriednich in terms of activity and relevant screen time in recent chapters. I discount Fuugetsu because it feels like her "arc" has ended. She will likely get another set of chapters to herself before she's done in.

My personal prediction: someone is going to find out about the ritual machine and how it relates to the ceremony jar. Then, Kurapika and other major characters will resolve the war by destroying it. I assume most of the "innocent" princes will live to see that day, namely Marayam and Woble, seeing as they are children, but Fuugetsu might manage to stay alive long enough as well.

Given how the banquet appears to be a catalyst for the second act's finale, it could be the Princes will die in swift succession. In which case, the least used will go first. Sale-Sale went, and now that leaves Tyson, Luzurus and Tsubeppa as an inactive group, a mirror to the active category. My bet's on this when I sit here typing. One of the meaningless characters has to go sometime soon, while their deaths will still mean something for hype. If Halkenburg or another big player goes, the rest of the minor princes dying will feel like so much cleanup.

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I feel we it will take some time before the next prince dies. That's because the banquet was build up as a climax point, with Sale Sale intending to reveal his grand plan (and he would inadvertly contaminated everyone with his Nen Beast there btw), Melody's escape plan for Kacho and Fuugetsu and Theta's training of Tserriendnich. All this plot points have been solved Sale Sale died before he could reveal his plan, the escape attempt of Kacho an Fuugetsu failed, with Kacho dieing, and Theta failed to kill Tserridnich.

The plots starting now all aren't at a point of resolve yet, so I feel they will not be resolved untill the next banquet or whatever event that will be the next climax point.

So I would also like to discuss about which Prince you find most suited to be King.

Personally I think Tubeppa. She's intellectual and level-headed and so far has not been shown to be "evil in any particular sense aside from the fact that she wants to kill some of her siblings, but all Princes that want to be King have decided to do that by now. Zhang Lei and Luzurus are quite similar to her but have ties with the mafia, so they are clearly criminals. Halkenburg would also be a good king but he has recently been shown to be not quite sane in the head. Camilla is too selfish, she can't think outside of her own egocentrist structures. Benjamin certainly can rule but would lead the country into a military dictatorship where personal freedom is at minimum. Tserriednich is too evil and would abuse his position as King for his sick murder fetish. Tyson seems to live in her own world and has no qualities for a King. Fugetsu is too young and too timid for a King, but actually could improve since she seems to be a capable learner and will become an adult soon. Woble and Marayam are too young, they might turn out as good Kings when they mature up, but that will take a long time, which could lead the country into a crisis in the meantime.

So my rankings for the best King is:

1. Tubeppa
2. Fugetsu
3. Halkenburg
4. Zhang Lei /Luzurus
5. Benjamin
6. Camilla/Tyson
7. Woble/Marayam
8. Tserriednich

Demonspeed

Runaway Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Halkenburg, Tsubeppa and Benjamin so far are the best candidates I'd say.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
This is supposed to be a little scorekeeping post for the princes.
I will now state what notable things the surviving princes did and what their current situation is and give them my personal powerplay estimation score.
This score is about how much control they got over the succession war and thus how much leverage they have to win it:

BENJAMIN: Benjamin, so far, certainly was the mainplayer of all the princes. He did most things, both good and bad. That gave him considerable intel (and enabled him to kill sale sale and get a very potent spy ability on camilla), but he also lost several soldiers(while retaining their abilities).
Benjamin is, for now, still in charge of a lot of the succession war, he has a lot of control, has intel from everywhere and a powerful ability while his beast is still unknown. In addition to that even, his soldiers are the only reliable group of nenfighters from all the princes (Camilla's do not seem like fighters).
However, he has no good way to deal with Halkenburg yet, has Camilla just waiting to get back against him and does not know Tserriednich's ability at all.
Still, if there is anyone who can be said to be in control of this whole war, it is Benjamin.
I give Ben a score of 10/10.

CAMILLA: Camilla tried to get rid of Benjamin but only managed to get rid o one of Unma's guards and one of Benjamin's soldiers, while getting a spy ability onto her (of which it is not clear whether she knows it is on her).
However, Camilla has a big trump card noone knows about, namely her guards that all have a personal to kill opposing princes by using nencurses.
This strategy is very very strong, without the nenbeasts , it would probably have paid off already, Camilla is no joke. Her cat ability also will hit any attacker except Benjamin by surprise.
In addition to that, her own nenbeast's ability is still unknown.
I give Camy a 8/10

ZHANG LEI: Zhang Lei, so far, did the least things of all the top 3 princes. He seems to use a wait and see approach, but made good connections with Kurapika (while it isn't clear how much that benefited him with the nentraining going on). He also has strong connections to one branch of the Mafia, which cannot be disregarded. In addition to that, while we have some clues on his nenbeast, the exact powers are also unclear. He can spy on half the the remaining princes.
I give Zhang Lei a 6/10.

TSERRIEDNICH: Tserriednich seems like a childish airhead with a knack for murder, but his talent is scary. His Nenbeast can detect lies and has good instincts to protect him, it is not clear what his special beast does and his Zetsu ability is very strong and can attack him from most kinds of attacks if he masters it. His understanding of nen is on a very high level for a beginner, too.
He has the disadvantage tho that none of the nenfighting guards of his are on his side and two of them work actively against him. While he can escape spies from Benjamin, he has no intel on his own on other princes. However, his strong connection to Morena might give him some edge.
I give Tserriednich 7/10.

TUBEPPA: Not very much is known about Tubeppa. She seems to target the top 3 princes with Tserriednich, however, she herself is targetted by Luzurus. Tubeppa has no good spying opportunities, she has no mafia connections, her nenbeast's exact ability is unclear and none of her guards (besides Maor who is just learning) knows nen. That seems like a bad spot, but she is able to make the most out of this and has very dedicated bodyguards.
I give Tubeppa 5/10.

TAITHON: Taithon is in a somewhat unique situation. Like Sale Sale, she seems to be able to slowly get even the hunters who initially found him silly to respect her and her religion, putting nenfighters under her control. It isn't clear how much her beast can do to people dead set on killing her tho.
She has no outside connections and she can only spy on Fuugetsu, Marayam and Woble while seemingly not having an active spy on woble. She did not even send anyone to the nentraining.
I give Taithon a 2/10.

LUZURUS: Luzurus biggest problem is that he does not seem to care a lot. He wants to kill Tubeppa, but that is hardly something really putting him forward in the succession war. His beast's power is too unknown to accurately gauge it. He has no spypower (because Duazul gives all her privileges to Camilla), but he has a powerful mafia connection and at least some hunters in his guard.
I give Luzurus a 3/10.

HALKENBURG: Halkenburg started out in a really bad situation. He had no spies, no connections, no nenguards. However, he is the prince who seems to be most in synch with his beast, enabling him to use an insanely powerful nen ability with his arrow and use his guards to create a lot of aura (for whichever purpose). While his guards cannot use nen themselves, he can use them for his ability and they are fiercely loyal to him.
Also, Halkenburg is smart enough to make the most out of his abilities and really study what he can and cannot do.
Benjamin sees him as his biggest threat yet, and i am inclined to agree.
I give Halkenburg a 9/10.

FUUGETSU: Fuugetsu seems pretty much defeated. Lots of her guards are actually spies, her mother can only spy on 2 lower princes (and only does so on one for all we know), her guards (besides melody, since keeni is dead) know no nen and her nenbeast has an ability that would be neat to escape, but escape is , as we noticed, impossibe.
However, there are some bright sides. She has Kacho as nenbeast, and while we do not know Kacho's powers yet, having two nenbeast is bound to have some benefits. Her close connection to melody enables her to understand the threats around her better than princes who are not that close to their hunter or nenguards.
I give Fuugetsu a 2/10 (and a wholehearted #savethetwin)

Marayam: Marayam does not have any spies and is dependend completely on his mother. His mother however did well so far to protect him: He has lots of hunters in her team (two as talented as Hanzo and Biscuit), she has a huge chunk of guards since she merged momoze's guards with marayam's, she knows about nen by now and is generally dead se ton protecting her son.
His nenbeast seems to be nothing to laugh at, as it protect him in some kind of different conjured dimension that noone can step into.
While marayam's offensive power is limited, his defensive powers seems really strong.
I give Marayam a 4/10.

WOBLE: Like Marayam, Woble is completely dependent on her guards. She has guards that are loyal to her with Kurapika, Bill and Shimano, but only Bill and Kurapika know nen and Kurapika is already in a weakened state by now, while bill seems to be no dedicated fighter.
We have absolutely no clue about Woble's nenbeast yet and her best case scenario seems to be escaping, not wining in any case.
So while Kurapika and BIll are certainly very competent nen users, I give Woble a 1/10.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What do you think on this list? Do you have your own lists? Who do you think is how strong right now?

I am looking forward to your assessments.

uberfayt

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I think that was a great summary of every surviving prince's situation so far :) I do agree with most of the ratings, and I especially liked Tser's description as a "childish airhead with a knack for murder, but his talent is scary", that's his exact portrait ^^

However, he has no good way to deal with Halkenburg yet
I think as of chapter 389, Benjamin and Balsalmico did come up with a way to counter Halk, which is to separate him from his followers and somehow finish him off during the trials. Now whether this'll go smoothly is still not sure, but the plan seems to be set into motion already.

All in all, Benjamin does deserve that 10/10.

However, I would give the current Halkenburg a 7/10 or an 8/10. The reason is that he still has no clear strategy on how to attack other princes, despite his greater powers. In fact, he is still in the process of learning the secrets of his ability, which unfortunately for him has the drawback of being sensed by his enemies, so they start preparing countermeasures (like Benjy).

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think that was a great summary of every surviving prince's situation so far :) I do agree with most of the ratings, and I especially liked Tser's description as a "childish airhead with a knack for murder, but his talent is scary", that's his exact portrait ^^

I think as of chapter 389, Benjamin and Balsalmico did come up with a way to counter Halk, which is to separate him from his followers and somehow finish him off during the trials. Now whether this'll go smoothly is still not sure, but the plan seems to be set into motion already.

All in all, Benjamin does deserve that 10/10.

However, I would give the current Halkenburg a 7/10 or an 8/10. The reason is that he still has no clear strategy on how to attack other princes, despite his greater powers. In fact, he is still in the process of learning the secrets of his ability, which unfortunately for him has the drawback of being sensed by his enemies, so they start preparing countermeasures (like Benjy).
Yes I think i can agree with that.Some of the scores are hard guesses too. For example,I feel like Camilla might deserve a 9 because in addition to being able to spy on most people, she also is the only prince who seems to have a (and high ranking at that) queen under her control, but we do not know how much power that gives her yet.

I do feel like the guesses were correct enough tho for them to paint a neat picture: All of the scores from 1-10 were used, and even if i mgiht be off bythe countof 1 or 2 in some cases, i think Togashi did well with giving all the princes a diverse set of restrictions and influences to keep it interesting.

Demonspeed

Runaway Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Benjamin: 8/10. Mainly because he is so focused on Halk now that he has forgotten Tserriednich, who is going to become very troublesome. Tserriednich is free.

Camilla: 6/10. She has powerful assets but her strategy is too rigid IMO. And her guards don't seem to be as smart as most. Targeting Kurapika first is a very bad idea.

Zhang Lei: 7-8/10. He doesn't have powerful guards like the two older siblings but his mind is flexible enough, he cooperated with Kurapika and is learning more and more about Nen thanks to this. In the recent chapters he started to use his mafia, which has experienced Nen users, that's an asset rather comparable to personal guards IMO. These guys have more freedom too.

Tserriednich: 7/10. He is focused on his training but he pays attention to the outside a bit. Danjin is level headed unlike Myuhan. Still, right now he is very vulnerable but luckily people have other priorities. His ability is strong but he shouldn't think that this will make him invincible like this when he is a novice with lack of combat experience. Morena is against him so I wouldn't really say he has an advantage.

Tsubeppa: A bit like Zhang Lei, but has less connections, 6/10. We don't know what will result of her alliance with Tserriednich.

Tyson: 4/10. She is not doing anything, but I give her 3 because of her two Hunter bodyguards and 1 for the danger that her NB might represent.

Luzurus: 3/10. More involved that Tyson but seems a bit too passive, his NB doesn't seem very powerful and he'll need more than Basho. He should start using the Sha family.

Halkenburg: He is smart, proactive, his guards are loyal and his ability is powerful. He is also cooperating with Kurapika, 9/10.

Fugetsu: She has three reliable allies and only wants to leave. Her NB should be very powerful though so I give her 3/10.

Marayam: 5-6/10. He has strong and experienced bodyguards like Biscuit and Hanzo, his ability is a good defense. Now, Vergei is listening to Hunters and she'll train them.

Woble: 7/10. Because Kurapika, Bill is a good ally too but with the awakenings things will become more dangerous for him.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
In the other thread I opened about how HxH changed from teen to adult fiction.
This change, in my opinion, is exemplified well by characters realizing that they cannot change the world they live in but have t play by at least some rules.
I think all princes of Kakin give us a different facet of this:

BENJAMIN accepts the succession war and wants the best for Kakin (which he thinks is himself) and sees it as a good thing to prune the other branches in a contest that is about strength. He stands for a person who completely accepts their fate and sees their privilege and duty in fulfilling it.
CAMILLA sees the succession war as a necessary bother. In her opinion, she should not even have to prove her worth but everyone else should kill themselves because obviously she should be King. Camilla exemplifies a person who is sure of her superiority and finds the necessity to prove her worth offensive (while Ben welcomes it).
ZHANG LEI
sees the need to play the game, but he finds its rules to extreme. He would like to let other princes go and he wants to know how his father before him mastered the war. Zhang Lei exemplifies a person who wants to fulfill their duty by imitating the steps others went before him without necessarily having powerful feelings about it.
TUBEPPA wants to win the war, but she also sees it as a way to enact her personal grudges against the top 3 together with Tserriednich. She exemplifies someone who wants to fullfill her fate but has ulterior motives behind it.
TAITHON similarly wants to win the succession war, but she does not seem to take any steps in order to accomplish it but just promotes her religion.
Taithon exemplifies someone who ignores the fate around her in order to delude herself with another, self decided fate.
LUZURUS
does not see himself winning in the deathmatch, but he wants to kill Tubeppa. He exemplifies someone who thinks he cannot fulfill his fate but might be able to drag another person down with him.
SALE SALE does not take steps to actively fight it but rather just parties and sees where it will go.
He exemplifies a person who ignores fate.
HALKENBURG wanted to deny his fate and come up with a better solution for everyone. He was forced toa ccept his fate in the end.
Halkenburg exemplifies an idealist who fell down from grace and accepts the cruel world around him now.
KACHO wanted to protect Fuugetsu from realizing how cruel their fate is. She wanted to take steps to realize the fate of a loved one by sacrificing herself.
She exemplifies a person who deludes another to protect them.
FUUGETSU is a person who gets protected by another and accepts this inaction. Fuugetsu exemplifies someone who is overwhelmed by fate and clings to someone to tell her what to do.
MOMOZE
seems to have wanted to win the deathmatch, but she never took any steps towards it and even was fine with losing her guards.
She exemplifies a person who deludes herself into thinking everything will be fine and that her fate will be fullfilled no matter what she does.
MARAYAM is protected by Sevanchi and does not seem to have any say in these matters and not understand his surroundings. Marayam exemplifies a person who does not understand his fate.
WOBLE is an infant. Unlike Marayam, Woble couldnt understand her fate even if someone told her. Woble exemplifies a person whose fate can only be fulfilled by other people than her.

Now, didn't I forget one guy? Yup. Because he doesn't belong, since Tserriednich is a freak case. Unlike all others, Tserriednich does not accept or ignore his fate in my opinion. For every other prince, may they have denied or accepted their fate, the succession war was the most important thing in their life (even with sale sale, his whole actions were induced by the war around him).
Tserriednich however does even get sidetracked by killing and learning nen. Of course learning nen helps him, but he is not overtly worried about the succession match, and he is already thinking about conquering the world. He thinks bigger than the succession war. This is a thing he does because he would really love to kill Benjamin and looks forward to it and being king seems kinda neat, but it is JUST a thing he does.
For Tserriednich, this is not fate. I do not think he sees it as such. He thinks he deserves to be king, but he rather sees this whole battle as a playground than fate.

Tavore

Reaction score
Country
England
If Fuugestu learns she could be a powerful force.

Kato756

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
You know, one thing that I think is:

Do you guys expect Benjamin to actually have a nen fight before dying?
Because if No, then I´d say hes next

If not, then I´d save him for 2nd or 3rd next death

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
You know, one thing that I think is:

Do you guys expect Benjamin to actually have a nen fight before dying?
Because if No, then I´d say hes next

If not, then I´d save him for 2nd or 3rd next death
I am not sure whether any of the princes will really have a proper battle..
This is all about indirect fighting, princes are not supposed to kill one another directly.

I can imagine benjamin killing someone, but no martial arts style drawn out battle of him vs tserriednich.

Copy Panda

Reaction score
Country
China
I think Shio made a decent enough analysis. Terror sandwich and hamburger will be the last two princes to clash, I believe. An ideological clash between a reign of trust and loyalty vs a reign of fear and terror. Before that, prince military, authority and money (more 'pragmatic' strands of ruling) will all perish. I believe the babies and toddler class princes will survive. The remaining princes will perish before the eldest three and the ideological duo, I believe.