The JinHea Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The JinHea Thread

JinHea

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
First of all - hello whoever happens to be reading this! I started translating in January this year, after 1 year of Japanese at university and plenty of self-study. I got into manga pretty early on, around 12, 13? And kept putting off anime until after I turned 16 and asked myself, "why am I being so snobbish about not wanting to watch anime?".

Now that I think back I guess it was anime more than manga that pushed my interest in learning Japanese forward. I'd always been good at memorizing *ahem good grades ahem* and I'd already had one foreign language - English - under my belt, so I thought "why not?" and decided I'd major in Japanese at university!

So I got into uni on Discretionary Entrance and started learning Japanese for real in March last year. January this year I judged myself competent enough to start translating, and for some reason I had already joined MH last year (can't remember why) so everything just clicked together.

I started learning German in university this year - and I have to say Japanese is so much easier! Anyhow, with my studies and everything, I'm amazed I've kept at this translating gig - I'm a really lazy person, you know. And my speed's improved! At first I used to take maybe 6 - 10 hours for a 30 page manga chapter, but now it takes me 3 - 5 hours... Now before you criticize me for being slow - hey! At least I've improved!

Find the list of manga I'm currently reading here

Last edited:

Hososugi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, it's nice to meet you. I just joined not too long ago, but then didn't have internet, so I'm back and I haven't done anything yet. haha.

Unlike you, I've never been into manga and have only watched a few anime shows. I'm not sure where I picked up my liking for Japan and the Japanese language, but I did somewhere in high school, but I only got as far as learning to count and how to say cat and dog. But then in college I found my passion for it and now I've been teaching myself for about 3 years now. I'd love to take a class, but my university didn't offer one.

What do you mean by English as a foreign language for you? I see that your country is set to New Zealand and I thought their native language was English?

It's nice to know that with practice one can get better and faster at translating. I'm hoping by my joining this site that I will become faster and learn new vocabulary. I was hoping that there would be a list of requested manga volume translations, but I can't seem to find that. And I wouldn't know where to start looking for a manga that wouldn't be translated already. Any advice?

JinHea

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
@Hososugi

Hello! Thanks for commenting (I didn't think anyone'd bother ">.<) About English as a foreign language - I came to NZ when I was 8 so I've spent over half my life here, but before I came here I was living in China ^_^

And wow! Self-learning Japanese for 3 years! I admire your dedication. I'm too lazy to self-study, which is one of the reasons why I signed up to learn it in Uni cos then I'd have to work at it. Have you taken a JLPT test yet? If you have, what level are you?

About looking for a manga that's not yet translated - I started by joining 2 online translation groups (Evil Flowers and Shoujo Crusade), and they let me choose the manga I want to translate. Online translation groups usually have a stock of untranslated manga which's either on hiatus due to no translator tl-ing it, or new manga they recently picked up. I posted the translations I did for my groups on MH and got my translator status. I kept posting new projects and after a while I started getting requests to tl projects through MH. I'm working on 3 projects at the moment and 2 of them are for Manga Editors who requested through MH.

I suggest you join 1 Edited Manga group that does projects you like to begin with - once you start posting your tls here on MH, it's likely people will ask you to do projects for them and it'd be hard to juggle the workload if you join too many groups. I had to quit Shoujo Crusade cos I was getting too overwhelmed so I advise you to join only 1 group to begin with and go from there. Good luck!

katrinayabu

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hello! Thank you for translating Chihayafuru.. I'm from lazy ass Edited Manga and I'm the one who is in charge of typesetting Chihayafuru. I really love the anime as well as the manga. I'm really grateful for your translations.. :)

ives

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hi! do you like translate shaman king zero? :D

please response

JinHea

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I'm from lazy ass Edited Manga and I'm the one who is in charge of typesetting Chihayafuru. I really love the anime as well as the manga.
Well hello my partner-in-crime! lol :)
Me toooo! I actually started watching the anime before I knew there was a manga, and I looove Taichi's seiyuu! Miyano Mamoru! *fangirling*
Eh-hem! *cough* excuse me for that bout of craziness ;) Anyhow, thanks for typesetting Chihayafuru! *hug*

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Hi! do you like translate shaman king zero? :D

please response
Hello ives! As I stated on my profile, I cannot take on any more projects, sorry >.<"