Books - The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? ) | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Books The Great Books! ( And What Are You Currently Reading? )

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Tamerlane said:
::cheers for Haplo::

I loved that series. In fact I think that I tried to do some art from it I liked it so much. I always thought that it was funny since if you read the Dragonlance series the wizard Zifnab is in there as well only he is going under the name Fizban, but the connection is not that hard to make.

I think that my favorite book of the series was Elven Star.

:amuse
Incidentally, the Death Gate series also introduced me to one of my favorite artists, Keith Parkinson. His cover drawing of the lava dragon for Book 3 ( I think ) was breathtaking. :)

Scary book though o_O

Dragonzair said:
So I'm the only one into children's books?
Are Harry Potter considered to be children's books, anyway?

kadoman

Itachi's Hat Maker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ek...there is sooo much more to children's books than Harry Potter (no offense GK!!). I get sick of the whole Harry Potter thing - there are so many children's books out there, better written and way more imaginative than those (just that they're not as famous).

The Alex Rider series (Stormbreaker et.al) by Anthony Horrowitz is excellent for all ages (movie coming out this summer) and well written too. Horrowitz is experienced and has been around the traps for a long time (he's an accomplished screen writer as well).

Johnathon Stroud's Bartiemaeus trilogy is hugely entertaining, and again, well written.

Of course, Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is fantastic, a little overly complex, but superbly written.

The Book of Dead Days by Marcus Sedgewick is an intriuging and creepy gothic tale, beautiufully written.

Some of the classics are marvellous - Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain being a stand-out, Treasure Island, Tom Brown's School Days, The Hobbit (you absolutley cannot beat that), Lord of the Flies...

Well, the list could go on! Those are just a few for the children's cross-over category.

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Gold Knight said:
Incidentally, the Death Gate series also introduced me to one of my favorite artists, Keith Parkinson.  His cover drawing of the lava dragon for Book 3 ( I think ) was breathtaking.  :)

Scary book though o_O
Yeah, that was book three :D Though the effects of the legendary dragon on the book 5 cover where even more awesome in my opinions :o

EDIT: Here are the covers i'm talking about: sorry for the wrong order, book 3 in to the right, book 5 to the left:

As you can see, i'm very protective of books covers, they're one of the most precious things in the world to me ( books that is, and their state... i hate reading badly threated books.... brrrr ) though these have been read many many times, both :D ( family x5 xmultiple times + borrowing them to a few friends.... - that i trusted with my covers :yelling - shudders ... )

Gold Knight said:
Well, yeah, though in my opinion 1-3 are children's books and 4-6 are... more grown-up...
Khaludh thinks that: Books 1-3 were o.k. book 4 was very good, book 5 sucked... book 6 was A W E S O M E !!

Tamerlane

=D
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Khaludh said:
Yeah, that was book three :D Though the effects of the legendary dragon on the book 5 cover where even more awesome in my opinions :o

As you can see, i'm very protective of books covers, they're one of the most precious things in the world to me ( books that is, and their state... i hate reading badly threated books.... brrrr ) though these have been read many many times, both :D ( family x5 xmultiple times + borrowing them to a few friends.... - that i trusted with my covers :yelling - shudders ... )
I thought that the cover art on all of them was really good. And it is funny that you mention how protective you are of your book covers Khaludh because I am the same exact way. I will take off the cover and place it aside while I read the book. That and I always use bookmarks and if it is a paperback I try to read it so that it does not crack the spine. <=)

<3 her books.

Khaludh said:
Well, yeah, though in my opinion 1-3 are children's books and 4-6 are... more grown-up...
Khaludh thinks that: Books 1-3 were o.k. book 4 was very good, book 5 sucked... book 6 was A W E S O M E !!
I agree with that. When I first picked up the Harry Potter series I would have people ask all the time, 'isn't that a kids book?' However since the latest books came out I am hearing that less and less. The series is really tackling more and more serious issues thus making not as aimed at a young audience anymore.

Dragonzair said:
T_T
So I'm the only one into children's books?
I have quite a few childrens books that I remember fondly. I think that my favorite was called Bunnicula and was about a vampire bunny that sucked the life out of vegetables and was told from the point of view of the house cat Chester. It was so unique and adorable that I never forgot it.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I love book covers as well. And I have some bad news regarding the cover artist for the Death Gate Cycle series, Keith Parkinson... I just found out last night.

Since this is off-topic I'll put it in spoiler tags...

In Memory of Keith Parkinson

After a lengthy illness with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML), Keith passed away on Wednesday, October 26, 2005, while a patient at UCSD Thornton Hospital, La Jolla. Keith was 47 years old.

Biography

Upon Graduating from Kendall School of Design in 1980, Keith took a staff artist position at a company called Advertising Posters. Contrary to the way it sounds the company had nothing to do with advertising or posters. They were silk screen printers that printed and generated all the art for the pinball, and blossoming arcade video industry. Keith had a hand in the artwork of many of the most popular games that mark the beginning of the video game industry.

TSR was the next stop. During a five year stint as a TSR staff artist he contributed to a wide variety of projects. These range from book and magazine covers to calendars to game boxes and modules. Various titles include, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Gamma World and Amazing Stories.

After the five years at TSR, Keith decided it was time to move on to a freelance career. The next seven years were spent primarily doing book covers for the New York publishing market. Clients include Random House, Bantam Books, Penguin Books, Avon Books, Berkley/Ace Books, Baen Books and Tor Books. Covers for best selling authors include Terry Goodkind, David Eddings, Anne McCaffrey, Orson Scott Card, Hickman and Weis, C.J. Cherryh, Terry Brooks and Dennis McKiernan. Keith received many awards during this time for various works; back to back Chesley Awards for best hard cover jacket illustration in '88 and '89 are the most notable.

Since the beginning of his freelance career Keith has licensed his artwork for use on computer games, puzzles, foreign publications and many other miscellaneous uses.

In Aug. of 95, FPG financed and published Guardians, Keith's first foray into game design. This was a new experience for him and FPG as well. Many of the top artists in the fantasy art field contributed to the game by illustrating Keith's characters.

FPG has also published his first art book, called &quot;Knightsbridge: The Art of Keith Parkinson.&quot; In 2004 his second full color book was published by MG publishers and should already be in stores. His first set of art trading cards have long since sold out as well as a subsequent set of colossal cards. Keith also has a best selling screen saver of his work that Second Nature software produced, currently over the &quot;70,000 units sold&quot; mark and still going strong.

In 2000, Keith began devoting more time to writing and moved the focus of his commercial artwork into the software industry, producing art for the popular EverQuest online game by Sony and THQ's Summoner. He also painted an EverQuest piece that appeared on the cover of TV GUIDE magazine.

In April of 2002 Keith accepted the position of Art Director with Sigil Games Online. Here he was reunited with EverQuest colleagues Brad McQuaid and Jeff Butler as a co-founder of their new company. Among his many responsibilities as Art Director for Sigil Games Online, Keith created and maintained the overall style of each game, contribute to in-house concept art, in-game art, posters, promotional material, and more.

Here are some of his covers:

Keith Parkinson was a big favorite of mine. I'll miss him.

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Like what Pimmy said. It became somewhat of a tenn book in 4-6. XD

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Oh, GK, i didn't know that... :crying The dude was awesome.

Dragonzair said:
Like what Pimmy said. It became somewhat of a tenn book in 4-6. XD
Hehe, so i'm Pimmy now? Well, it actually sounds cute in english... :amuse

You were already Pimmy when GK introduced me to you on MSN! XD :p ///DZ

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Anyone tried Eoin Colfer before? The Artemis Fowl series is quite funny. The 'hero' is so full of himself but at the same time, it is this that makes him likable.

On a more serious read, "Never let me go" by Kazuo Ishiguro is really thought provoking. The suspense builds up so gently. And the ending...well u have to read it for yourself. I felt reluctant to close the book and 'let' the characs 'go'. Just don't expect a Disney style wrap-up. This book will make you question about 'life'.

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Brede said:
Anyone tried Eoin Colfer before? The Artemis Fowl series is quite funny. The 'hero' is so full of himself but at the same time, it is this that makes him likable.
I have read four Artemis Fowl books, is that all there is at the moment :) - really liked the series, especially 3 (and 4), everybody loves the anti-hero criminal :) - though i don't the 'more emotional/friendly' change he undergoes -_-; - he was so badass in the beginning :D

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
though i don't the 'more emotional/friendly' change he undergoes -_-; - he was so badass in the beginning :D
Yeah, i agree, Artemis was so much more fun to 'hate' as he originally was  :p

Kusachu

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
okyatoks said:
Whew!!!

You've got quite a list there, Kusachu... I've read The Prince, The Art of War, The Book of Five Rings, and just scanned through Tao Te Ching...

BTW: Have you read any Camus or Asimov books?
Nope! Good?? Reccommend me some and i will most likely check them out! XD i am always looking for new stuff to read! XD OH! and i highly reccommend any of the versions of Bushido/Hagakure if you liked the art of war and the book of 5 rings... I read through them like it was nothing and then read them again! XD i still pick them up and read random passages now and then. very good stuff. *nods*

OH MY GOD! Real Ultimate Power by Robert Hamberger is one of the funniest books i have ever read!!! And it is about NINJAS! XD (i can't remember if i mentioned that before...XP) The guy even has his own website...which is also hilarious...i wish i had a link to put up...

If anyone cares: Google either Robert Hamberger of Real Ultimate Power and go to that site!!! XD BWAHAHAHA!

Bibichan

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Khaludh said:
though i don't the 'more emotional/friendly' change he undergoes -_-; - he was so badass in the beginning :D
I agree, too. I really liked Artemis' "anti-heroness". It made the series stand out from the masses. But at the end Artemis lost some of his charm and the story became "mainstream".
But I like the books anyway.

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Even if it's mainstream, the only book i disliked was the second ;) - he became a little more "normal" after that...

( and again bibichan turns out to have good taste xD )

Sin

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not currently reading anything but this thread has given me a few good idea on what to check into.

Great books though:

Dark Tower Series: If you're a Stephen King or a fantasy fan in general you're doing yourself a disservice not reading this series. By far my favorite works of his and ties into alot of his books like Insomnia, Salem's Lot, The Stand, etc.

Harry Potter: I know its been kind of beaten to death here, but its definetly gone from me being skeptical when I first saw all the hype with books 1 and 2 too it being my favorite book series ever. Nothing even comes close.

Eragon/Eldest by Christopher Paolini: A trilogy thats two books in. Good fantasy series

Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice: If you've never gotten a chance to go through these, give them a chance. From Interview with the Vampire to Memnoch the Devil they all kept me spellbound when I was a teenager.

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code may have gotten all the hype (good book too) I think this book which takes place beforehand might be even better. Also check out Digital Fortress if you're into computers at all.

Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind: Another Fantasy series similar too but better than IMHO the Wheel of Time series. Check it out if you're into fantasy

I could list out more but those are the series that I check out immediately if something is released. All excellent, worth a read if you like the genre or have a spare weekend (uh per book).

sejma

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
I'm currently reading The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad, Three Lives by Gertrude Stein, and Light in August by William Faulkner (all for an English class; trying to get them finished by my exam on Monday). The Secret Agent is kinda bland (Heart of Darkness was better by far); Three Lives is mixed ("The Good Anna" is pretty unexciting, but "Melanctha" is rather good; haven't gotten to "Lena" yet). Haven't read enough of the Faulkner lately to give a justifiable assessment for it.

Also reading Jacques Lacan: A Feminist Perspective by Elizabeth Grosz, for the hell of it. I don't buy into psychoanalysis at all, so some parts cause me eye-rolling. I find the theory much more interesting as a set of myths than as something to analyse with.

Last book finished: White Noise by Don DeLillo, for the same class. Rather amusing, particularly if you've got some basis in post-structuralism, I expect. Some great ironic humour in it.

Best book ever written: The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. MAN. That book is a killer. Starts slow, has some heavy parts of extended dialogue, and is rather long, but by the time you're into the last stretch your mind is blown by how amazing the book is. Interestingly, it's not my favourite Dostoevsky (Notes from Underground for that); nor is it the favourite of a friend of mine who also agrees on its amazingly-greatness (she went for Crime and Punishment).

Other Really Good Books: somebody mentioned The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake on the first page. Concurred on that, especially the second book. It's a brilliantly busy and dense world contained almost wholly within one gigantic castle full of elaborate rituals and nearly empty of people, but everyone has their own thoroughly-wound plot. Recommended, definitely.

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery is a gorgeous little story. Very touching and insightful. (Incidentally, there was an anime series that I remember watching as a little kid; I'd like to see it again to remind myself of more to it than just the theme song).

Blood and Guts in High School by Kathy Acker is great. Weird experimental novel that is Not For Children. Includes Persian lessons and a book report on The Scarlet Letter which is more interesting to read than the actual Hawthorne book.

I would be remiss to not mention William S. Burroughs, who is also Not For Children. Of what I've read, Exterminator! is my favourite (though his work is so incestuous that to read one book of his is to read part of half a dozen of them, at least). Haven't read Naked Lunch yet, but I'll be getting to that when I've got a bit more time.

In other reading news, I've been wanting to read Neuromancer by William Gibson again. I consider it a light read, but I'm a dork for weird dystopian scifi sometimes, especially if you throw in AI or other artificial lifeforms and the philosophical questions thereof - moreso in movies than books, actually, but eh.

Tamerlane

=D
Reaction score
Country
United States
Those are some interesting books Sejma.

sejma said:
Blood and Guts in High School by Kathy Acker is great. Weird experimental novel that is Not For Children. Includes Persian lessons and a book report on The Scarlet Letter which is more interesting to read than the actual Hawthorne book.
Anything would be better to read than the Scarlet Letter....I mean it was interesting from the point that it was written so long ago, but it was not a book that you walked away from with a very warm and fuzzy feeling. Too much prejudice. :darn

Of course that is just my humble opinion. I am sure that there were people out there that liked it. :amuse

eQuek

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
A swedish book by the name of "Ondskan" is great, "ondskan" would be translated as "the evil".
It's about a young guy who has to change school. The new school is friggin torture (literally sometimes). The author is Jan Guillou.

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Sin said:
Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind: Another Fantasy series similar too but better than IMHO the Wheel of Time series. Check it out if you're into fantasy
I have read/am reading both, and i cannot refrain myself from saying that

SoT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WoT ( opinion )

Wheel of Time series tends to become a little boring at parts, by dragging the story endlessly, and the Sword of Truth series only did this once, but that time it was a writing masterpiece, because Terry Goodkind likes to make the reader FEEL the emotions of his characters, so when they were travelling through an endless desert landscape, he stretched it for that reason...
and when Richard was thinking about committing suicide near the end of the book because nobody believed him, he actually made the reader feel like it was the thing that should happen at that point...
amazing...

Rampages

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Martin said:
Harry Potter is nice ^^
And yes, ur a admin so just change the name :)

Just placed a amazone order on :
1. The art of war by Sun Tzu
2. The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli
3. Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn
4. Grass for His Pillow by Lian Hearn
5. Brilliance of the Moon allso by Lian Hearn

Cant wait to get em :D
lol, I actually already have Art of War by Sun Tzu! :p

I'm such a geek

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I stopped following the Wheel of Time series after the 1st book. I just don't have the patience to read thru a never-ending series. BUT having said that, my sis just loves the series and has read every single one more than once. The same thing goes for the Eragon/Eldest trilogy. I can't help feeling a patchwork of elements from other series/stories here BUT again, my sis disagrees and loves it. You can imagine the 'lively' discussions we have at home about these 2 series.

We both agreed on the Chrestomanci series tho and just about every book written by Dianne Wynn Jones - Howl's Moving Castle, the merlin conspiracy, etc. She's got a good sense of humour :smile-big