The Gottheim thread!! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Gottheim thread!!

Gottheim

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Okay, it's about time I created my own thread, I guess. Introduce myself to the community, and all that jazz.

Well I'm Gottheim (Captain Obvious!!). The name comes from Norse mythology, and could be translated as « Realm of the Gods ». I used to be a huge geek for that kind of stuff, and that's still the case somewhat.

My Japanese is mostly self-taught. Scrape a piece of knowledge here, a grammar rule there... I started translating because I wasn't satisfied with some of the stuff I read, and as a means to practise and improve in a way that'd be both pleasant and effective. So far, it worked. Mostly...

I like fantasy (video games, books, PnP games...), music and languages in general. I speak decent English, and I can hold my own in Japanese. Then, comes Spanish. I don't speak it, but I can understand the written language most of the time. Finally, French is my native language, so that one is pretty much a given.

I'll be keeping a record of the stuff I'm doing in this post, and update it as needed. The title of it should be self-explanatory.

Last edited:

POW

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
<bump>

1st to say hello O/

Hey there keep up the good work translating meanwhile I'l have to think of things to fill this thread with XD .

MIhata

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Thanks for you Guin Saga translations...dude your are awesome, i love you :p

max mahito

Reaction score
Country
India
My balls translator, right?
Saw you for some time in FH.
Anyways, nice to meet you~

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Self-taught? And you're french? Gosh you must be a genius, the language seems to be so far away from me as a fellow european.
Just stumbled across your name here as I saw someone in a different forum praising you :amuse
As German language is surprisingly close and even identical to Scandinavian languages sometimes (ok, rarely) the name is actually fully conclusive in German:
Gott (=God, how unexpected :P) and Heim (home) simply in a consecutive order combined to one word (Home of gods - with a very "specific" sound, so it's not "one" home but "the" home I'ld guess) as it's kinda typical for german language I guess. (German language simply sticks words together and makes it a single one very often. Such as "Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengessellschaft" as the most extreme example. It's approximately 10 words combined to one noun)

Last edited:

Gottheim

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
OMG, replies in this thread!:o

Thanks for you Guin Saga translations...dude your are awesome, i love you :p
Guin Saga is awesome. Some of that must have rubbed off me...:eyeroll

My balls translator, right?
Saw you for some time in FH.
Anyways, nice to meet you~
Among other things, yes. Pleased to meet you too.

Self-taught? And you're french? Gosh you must be a genius, the language seems to be so far away from me as a fellow european.
Just stumbled across your name here as I saw someone in a different forum praising you :amuse
As German language is surprisingly close and even identical to Scandinavian languages sometimes (ok, rarely) the name is actually fully conclusive in German:
Gott (=God, how unexpected :P) and Heim (home) simply in a consecutive order combined to one word (Home of gods - with a very "specific" sound, so it's not "one" home but "the" home I'd guess) as it's kinda typical for german language I guess. (German language simply sticks words together and makes it a single one very often. Such as "Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengessellschaft" as the most extreme example. It's approximately 10 words combined to one noun)
Ouch!! I'm planning on learning German someday... Now I know what I must prepare myself for.:darn
And no, learning Japanese is not that hard. The grammar rules are a lot simpler than in, say, French or German for example. And learning the kana is pretty much the biggest hurdle you'll ever run into. The Kanji, and everything else will come to you with practice. Well, that's how it worked for me anyway.:amuse
Translating is another matter entirely, almost another discipline unto itself. Very often it's a lot easier to understand what the text is saying than to convey it into proper English, or whatever language you're working in. Hence why it's not rare to run into bizarre, sometimes obscure phrasing in many a Edited Manga.

Nintakun

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Reviving the Thread.

Passing to compliment you for the Shingeki no Kyojin Translation, it was a hell of an awesome manga. I really loved it. Do you have plans to make the rest of the series?

We~ll, Nice to meet you!! =]

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hence why it's not rare to run into bizarre, sometimes obscure phrasing in many a Edited Manga.
Hi Gottheim,

I would call a Edited Manga, a guessing game. You can reverse translate sentences and guess what they really mean in Japanese.

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hey Gottheim! :amuse

Well I saw your thread was the most recently posted-in one in GiT, so I thought I'd pop by too :XD

Like Nintakun, I'd like to thank you for your work on Shingeki no Kyojin - great work! I'm quite enjoying the series :3 And of course, it's great to see a more obscure (at least to the online world) but good manga getting some love :tem I'd been thinking of reading it myself raw but since it got scanlated before I could do that, reading it in English seemed the easier option (yeah I'm lazy :p) Thanks for making my life that much easier :D

Gottheim said:
My Japanese is mostly self-taught. Scrape a piece of knowledge here, a grammar rule there... I started translating because I wasn't satisfied with some of the stuff I read, and as a means to practise and improve in a way that'd be both pleasant and effective. So far, it worked. Mostly...
Hey... That sounds practically like a carbon copy of my own how-I-learnt-Japanese-and-began-translating story :omg That's pretty cool~ :hi5

So how long since you first "scraped a piece of knowledge here" or "a grammar rule there"? :amuse

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Thanks for the first chapter of Wolfsmund...are you planning to continue this project?

Gottheim

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Hi, folks.
Sorry for the late response.
I was kinda not really expecting people to post in here, to tell the truth.

Reviving the Thread.

Passing to compliment you for the Shingeki no Kyojin Translation, it was a hell of an awesome manga. I really loved it. Do you have plans to make the rest of the series?

We~ll, Nice to meet you!! =]
Glad you like it. God willing, I'll work on the whole series.

Hi Gottheim,

I would call a Edited Manga, a guessing game. You can reverse translate sentences and guess what they really mean in Japanese.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. But often I've run into phrasings that sounded so much like translated Japanese that I could almost hear the original sentence through it.

Hey Gottheim! :amuse

Well I saw your thread was the most recently posted-in one in GiT, so I thought I'd pop by too :XD

Like Nintakun, I'd like to thank you for your work on Shingeki no Kyojin - great work! I'm quite enjoying the series :3 And of course, it's great to see a more obscure (at least to the online world) but good manga getting some love :tem I'd been thinking of reading it myself raw but since it got scanlated before I could do that, reading it in English seemed the easier option (yeah I'm lazy :p) Thanks for making my life that much easier :D

Hey... That sounds practically like a carbon copy of my own how-I-learnt-Japanese-and-began-translating story :omg That's pretty cool~ :hi5

So how long since you first "scraped a piece of knowledge here" or "a grammar rule there"? :amuse
2 yearsand a half maybe, pushing three by now. Translting is actually how I gained most of my knowledge.

Thanks for the first chapter of Wolfsmund...are you planning to continue this project?
Yes I am.
My old computer is broken and I had a couple of IRL issues to deal with, among which a moving, no less. Now I'm waiting to get paid so I can buy a new machine.

Angel of Game

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Thanks for translating Dance in the Vampire Bund! I mean it. It's one of the manga series I really enjoyed. :tem

I'm just wondering if you will continue translating this manga. :)

Mido-ban

Reaction score
Country
France
Are you still alive ?

Neko8

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for Dance in the Vampire Bund I truly did enjoy reading it. Thanks again!
Also Mido that's rude to put that!

DarkColorBlood

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hi, iam new here too so i sorry if i do something wrong....
anyway,i was wondering if you are interested in translating old series from 80's,90's and early 2000.Mostly comdies,adventures and fantasies.I can provide you with the scannlations even thought the mangas i have in mind are old.
Thank you very much for reading this,please let me know if you are interested so we could discass about the series....