Discussion - The favourite Character Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The favourite Character Thread

Who is your favourite Character

• Emma

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Norman

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Ray

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Isabella(Mama)

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Gilda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donnie

• Krone

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Someone else

• Total voters

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It might be a bit early, but every subforum will get one of these eventually anyway.

For me, it is a tight race between Emma and Gilda with Donnie as a runner up (starting from the character i was most apathetic about, but he won me over).

Characters like these are unusual shonen protags (or relevant sidecasts).
Isabella, Ray and Norman are far from bad characters (and i enjoy all of them), but the three characters i mentioned all did things that i found admirable about them.

Emma: While she is often just seen as the sidekick of norman, Emma's importance comes from being norman's moral compass and the group's communicator.
The group actually gained a lot of knowledge from Emma teamworking with others and having insight into the different siblings.
They wouldn't know about william minerva without Emma listening to the younger kids and i do not think the conflict with donnie and gilda would have ended as well as it did without emma arround.

Gilda: Gilda is not as 'smart' as the top 3 kids and a really shy girl who keeps hiding behind others and metaphorically behind her glasses, but she has shown quite some resolve when krone wanted to pull her on her side.
She also seems to be more levelheaded than donnie. Her problem is that she is not able to exert authority when she'd need to, but I still enjoy the character a lot.
She is holding her own even tho people arround her try to use her as a playing ball left and right.

Donnie: While i was really apathetic about donnie at first (because i really don't enjoy the usual anime hothead usually), i was really surprised by donnie being smart and mature enough to understand that he was thought of as a hindrance and as too emotionally weak to be told the truth and subsequently apologizing for getting an anger attack.
Both he and Gilda have to cope with a lot and for their age, they really are able to do this much better than youÄd exspect without being geniusses.

Kadir0

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I can't decide who to choose between Emma and Ray, but since Ray will have more votes anyway, i will go with Emma.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Isabella. I feel like when she finally moves it's going to be great. I like how cool she is.

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Norman for me.
Mostly because he feels like a character who thinks on his toes, and is able to improvise and adapt according to the situation. Kinda like Ishida Uryuu in Bleach.
I love those types way too much:smile-big

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Isabella. A series like this needs an opponent who is masterful and can strike fear. She's dressed as a maid/nurse, but a devil underneath. Kind of like Nurse Ratched from One Who Flew over the Cuckoos Nest (they are different characters though).

I like the super trio. Probably Ray the most.

IHateAsta

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
Isabella and Norman , voted for Norman :D

Aonori

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Norman, I like his standing in this whole thing.

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Wow, no love for Ray, i guess i'll give him mine, sorry Emma. xD

Last edited:

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Well i like all the characters so far, thy're well written, but i voted for phil, have a soft spot for Phil ♥

reminds me of kyubey /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ :teehee So so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute :zomg

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Norman the GOAT. Knew this from the jump.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
The cast of the series has expanded considerably from when the manga began, so its about time I updated this list with new favorite(s);):
Favorite male character: Norman, Ray
No brainer here, but these two are the stars of the series. The manga started with them, and the best moments of the series are the ones with them in tow. I actually have to admit, I wasn't big on Ray in the beginning as much as the fandom. For me his character development comes after Emma saves him from suicide and he decides to turn a new leaf. Completely abandons the thought of killing himself and instead decides to live his life for himself and the other kids. Probably the best character development in the series.
As for Norman, what can I say? He's the most well rounded character in the manga. He's the smartest of the trio, but he isn't exactly a Gary Stu. We've seen he has a dark side (He wanted to kill Krone), and Emma is the one that helps to keep that at bay. His feelings for Emma make him really relatable and it's probably what made me such a huge fan of him in the first place.

Favorite female character: Gilda, Isabella, Gilian
Gilda has been my favorite female ever since the stuff with Musica and Sung Juu, but honestly ever since the beginning of the manga where she was introduced. The stuff with Krone in the beginning where Krone tried manipulating her for information on the kids was a really good moment for both of them as characters. And then Gilda growing into a secondary mother figure for the kids outside Emma. She has seriously awesome moments for herself as a character, this one being the most recent one:
Regarding Isabella, what's there to say? :XD She's a badass through and through, she does everything perfectly. The kids escaping was something out of her control, but even then she did try her best to salvage the situation as best as she could. And once she learned the situation was well out of her control, she gave up gracefully, wished Emma and her group well outside and tended to the other kids. That was brilliant writing.
Gilian, I don't need anything else to explain why she's on my list besides this ;):

Overall favorite character: Norman

Favorite demon: Musica, Lord Bayon
Musica is a demon I find myself interested in because unlike Sung Juu, we know next to nothing about her. Sung Juu said shes never eaten human meat, so what's her diet? Is it really possible for demons to live without eating human meat? :blink Musica might be the first demon we've met who's like this. She also knows about the Seven Walls, gave Emma the amulet to protect her (Still waiting to see where this comes in handy). Not to mention the fact that she's travelling with Sung Juu as well, there's just so much intrigue about her as a character and the pay off when we get it will be :zomg
Lord Bayon? Honestly, after reading the most recent chapter I don't think I need to explain this ;)

Favorite character design: Archduke Lewis, Anon-san, William Minerva

Galactic Tomahawk

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Emma, then Isabella. Emma's probably my favorite protagonist in currently running Jump stuff right now.

OtakuFreak

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Sister Krone - She definitely was the expression of the most realistic character in the series given the tight circumstances she was placed in. I like Isabella for the same reasoning, but Sister Krone's sadistic and less ''motherly'' nature definitely makes me love her more.

She was raised as livestock for the demons, but was given the opportunity to survive through being a future caretaker and ''mama'' for the other children whom would be consumed by the demons.

It was either be killed & eaten by the demons, OR make the best of her situation and have a fancy life of being a fake ''mama'' to all of the children.

Sad that she died.