Discussion - The Beer Thread! | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Beer Thread!

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Your favorite beer?

I actually have been looking for a good lager these days (not a pale lager like heineken, grolsch or becks). Any recommendations (specially if they are available at the US).
Weinhenstephaner makes an outstanding lager with a nice, crisp flavor to it with almost no bitterness. Thy are better known for their heffe but the lager is very good too.

Not sure about my favorite, probably Kwak or Weinhenstephaner's Heffe. Overall I prefer strong, high alcohol beers particularly Belgian. I have not had all of the Trappists yet but Chimay and Orval are among my favorites.

If your looking for ale, Samuel Smith makes the best. They are a great Yorkshire based brand with a number of very English styles. I am partial to their Nut Brown Ale.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

And yeah, beer advocate is a great site! I have them book marked on my phone, I read the reviews when I'm in the beer store :p

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Dos Equis makes a pretty decent beer, at least in comparison to other "Mexican" brands. Let me know if it's good.
It was actually pretty decent, I liked it better than the regular dos equis. It has a little more flavor and I was surprised at how dark it actually was. Its worth the try lol.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

Weinhenstephaner makes an outstanding lager with a nice, crisp flavor to it with almost no bitterness. Thy are better known for their heffe but the lager is very good too.

Not sure about my favorite, probably Kwak or Weinhenstephaner's Heffe. Overall I prefer strong, high alcohol beers particularly Belgian. I have not had all of the Trappists yet but Chimay and Orval are among my favorites.

If your looking for ale, Samuel Smith makes the best. They are a great Yorkshire based brand with a number of very English styles. I am partial to their Nut Brown Ale.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

And yeah, beer advocate is a great site! I have them book marked on my phone, I read the reviews when I'm in the beer store :p
I will see if I can find them, although I will probably need a better place to look for it (the supermarket where I go to has decent variety but it is still pretty much very standard. I do enjoy the bitterness though.

Reactions: xi0

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Being a big fan of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal stout, I must agree with you, but since kkck likes light colored beer, New Castle may be easier for him to start.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

I am not bent on the light colored part, I do want to try stronger beers. In particular I am interested in finding stronger lagers and breaking off the traditionally mass produced ones(which will prove difficult specially once I go back home where you would only find the local mass produced ones lol).

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States

kkck, what weiss beer have you tried?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Only 2 up to the point and I did enjoy them. I tried Franziskaner some time ago and it is pretty much one of the best beers I have tried, I enjoyed feeling the wheat there. Then I tried endirger although I can't recall if I enjoyed that one better than the other one. None of the ale taste but a lot of other stuff to enjoy. Those are a little pricy back home though, that is why I rarely buy them.

I tried the guiness with the widget today too. It was actually pretty good. Not sure if I was supposed to drink it straight out of the can or serve it in a glass though (which is cool considering I bought a 4 pack lol).

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States

kkck, please don't drink it out of the can! Pleeease pour it in a pint glass. Let us know what you think of bottles vs cans ~:^_^

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

:hi5 to mikkih. I never knew you liked beer. That's awesome. :amuse

How did I miss this thread until now? :fail

I'm a big fan of beer. :love I drink and enjoy many different types, but my favorites tend to be stronger Belgian ales, usually pale, but not exclusively. Love all the Trappists I've tried. A lot of my favorite beers have already been mentioned: Kwak, Orval, Chimay Blue, Weheinstephaner Heffe and Original, Tripel Karmeliet, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown Ale, etc. A couple of others that I'd highly recommend are Weheinstephaner Vitus and La Chouffe. The latter is on tap at one of my most-frequented bars here and is my go-to drink whenever I'm there. The 8% ABV tends to sneak up on you, but it goes down really easily.

I have to say I'm really surprised at the reviews of Kwak on beer advocate. I really enjoy it, so I'm shocked it's rated so low. Maybe I'm not a proper beer snob? I don't know. :XD

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France

Maybe they didn't like the glass. Honestly, I don't know who invented it, it's so unpractical. But the Kwack itself is really tasty.
Speaking of Belgium beers, can you find some lambic in the US ? Everytime I go to Brussels, I make a stop at La Becasse estaminet to drink some.

Concerning the guiness, I only drink it draught, although I have treid the camerounese version in bottle. But it doesn't taste at all like a guiness so it does not really count.

igotthegoods

The Giggs
Reaction score
Country
United States

You can get lambic here, but it's not very common. The only one I've tried personally is Lindeman's Framboise. It was good. Very sweet, though. I couldn't drink too much of it.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Ok, I did not drink guiness out of the can (I was surprised pouring it was exactly like in the web page video lol). I would compare it with the bottled one I drank earlier but I noticed that the one I drank before did not have the widget so perhaps I should look for the bottled one with the widget for the comparison. Anyways, I did feel a difference in the flavor but it was not THAT significant. Canned was better but perhaps I need to try both of them together to feel the difference (I am not a beer snob yet :p).

There is something I am mildly confused about though. Are lagers supposed to be low class bears so to speak or are there high quality lagers? It just seems like ales are generally the upper scale ones. I have been completely unable to find a lager outside of the known ones so far and I am not a fan of ales. Perhaps I should focus on stouts and weiss then....

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

I have to say I'm really surprised at the reviews of Kwak on beer advocate. I really enjoy it, so I'm shocked it's rated so low. Maybe I'm not a proper beer snob? I don't know. :XD
I like Kwak, but I think it's simply a case of the presentation exceeding how good it really is. There are better Strong pale ales IMO.

Maybe they didn't like the glass. Honestly, I don't know who invented it, it's so unpractical. But the Kwack itself is really tasty.
Speaking of Belgium beers, can you find some lambic in the US ? Everytime I go to Brussels, I make a stop at La Becasse estaminet to drink some.
I've had a bunch of different Lambics - Kriek, Framboise, Cassis, Peche, Pomme, and Gueuze. The Gueuze is obviously much different than the fruit lambics, but I enjoyed it. The darker Fruit lambics like Kriek, Framboise, and Cassis are MUCH better than Peche or Pomme in my opinion. The Peche didn't really taste like a Lambic at all, since it didn't have the sourness, and the Pomme was sort of offensive. It's weird, because you'd expect Apple and a cidery taste/feel to go well together, but it just didn't. I haven't tried Faro yet, and there a bunch of fruit ones I haven't got my hands on.

Ok, I did not drink guiness out of the can (I was surprised pouring it was exactly like in the web page video lol). I would compare it with the bottled one I drank earlier but I noticed that the one I drank before did not have the widget so perhaps I should look for the bottled one with the widget for the comparison. Anyways, I did feel a difference in the flavor but it was not THAT significant. Canned was better but perhaps I need to try both of them together to feel the difference (I am not a beer snob yet :p).

There is something I am mildly confused about though. Are lagers supposed to be low class bears so to speak or are there high quality lagers? It just seems like ales are generally the upper scale ones. I have been completely unable to find a lager outside of the known ones so far and I am not a fan of ales. Perhaps I should focus on stouts and weiss then....
If the bottle you had didn't have a widget in it, it probably wasn't Draught. It was probably Extra Stout, which is slightly more alcoholic and different tasting than the draught. There's a novelty to the Draught, and it isn't a bad beer by any stretch, but it just can't compare to being on tap. It may look the part, but it doesn't taste the part.

It sounds like you're going for Lagers made by big labels. There are plenty of microbrews and craft breweries that make good Lagers. I will agree though, that Ales tend to be more complex tasting than Lager. Lagers are brewed and fermented cold...usually, and Ales are brewed/fermented at warmer temperatures. In my opinion, there is just more going on with Ales since more goes into to making them...like if they're bottle or cask conditioned and undergo secondary fermentation because of that. Not to get too deep into chemistry, but Ales tend to be sweeter as well because less sugar gets converted into alcohol during the process.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Nah, I am certain it was the draught, at least the bottle said so.

So with lagers it is simply a matter of looking harder then... thats good news, I was begining to worry. For the time being I will focus on searching for weiss, stouts and lager which I currently do enjoy and see if I get a taste for ales later on (still not sure how to describe why I haven't liked the ales I have tried lol). I am going back home from the US so finding beers to try will be rather dificult from now on, I am reasonably sure I already tried most beers from back home(nationals and imported). At least I will be able to count on franciscaner, endirger and guiness lol and the national beers are not as bad as a mass produced beer would seem.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Nah, I am certain it was the draught, at least the bottle said so.

So with lagers it is simply a matter of looking harder then... thats good news, I was begining to worry. For the time being I will focus on searching for weiss, stouts and lager which I currently do enjoy and see if I get a taste for ales later on (still not sure how to describe why I haven't liked the ales I have tried lol). I am going back home from the US so finding beers to try will be rather dificult from now on, I am reasonably sure I already tried most beers from back home(nationals and imported). At least I will be able to count on franciscaner, endirger and guiness lol and the national beers are not as bad as a mass produced beer would seem.
You sure it was Draught? Because cans have the widget, and the bottles have the widget/rocket thing in it. The cans are meant to be poured but the bottles aren't. Maybe you didn't notice the rocket in there?...hmmm

Yeah, like I said before, a lot of people just have a preference for styles. And tastes can change it you find the right ale. Don't be discouraged that you don't care for ale though, it's not like there aren't a ton of other brands to try.

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States

@igotthegoods Hi~. Good to hear that you love beers, the good ones. I love them but I hardly drink but rather sample them. So, you are Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout fan :amuse Do you also like their Imperial Stout? I love Oatmeal but some reason I am not a fan of Imperial. I think I started out with Sheaf Stout and tried different beers and settled with Guinness and Oatmeal Stout.:^_^

@kkck I hope we are not forcing you to drink stout. :eyeroll

@xi0 It's been so long since I had Framboise. I am not a big fan, but I am with you that the darker fruity ones taste better. I don't like (American) Samuel Adam's seasonal Cranberry Lambic

@Kaiten Hi

@Teubier Your recommendations to kkck, Asahi & Yebisu are right on, I think. He might find them quite ordinary but would probably like these malt beers.:)

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

@xi0 It's been so long since I had Framboise. I am not a big fan, but I am with you that the darker fruity ones taste better. I don't like (American) Samuel Adam's seasonal Cranberry Lambic
That's because it isn't a real Lambic. Lambics are only brewed in a specific region near Brussels, there was even some possible legal controversy when Sam Adams came out with it. The idea of a cranberry lambic sounds cool, since I like cranberry a lot, but everyone I know who's had it and from what I've read, it sounds like a disappointment.

I think I prefer Cassis the most overall. Framboise is the most intense flavor-wise, and I like Raspberry, but I enjoy Kriek and Cassis more.

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States

kkck, isn't it great that you can now cross out Samuel Adam's Cranberry (pseudo?) Lambic from your beer list? Still, you must have a long to-do list.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

You sure it was Draught? Because cans have the widget, and the bottles have the widget/rocket thing in it. The cans are meant to be poured but the bottles aren't. Maybe you didn't notice the rocket in there?...hmmm

Yeah, like I said before, a lot of people just have a preference for styles. And tastes can change it you find the right ale. Don't be discouraged that you don't care for ale though, it's not like there aren't a ton of other brands to try.
I actually picked the bottle from the trash to confirm for the third time it was draught lol. And it did not have the widget. Only other thing I can do from now is to take a picture and post it :p. And there never was any rocket, there is no way I would have missed it even if I had not known about it, I would have felt it inside the bottle when it hit the bottle....

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

@igotthegoods Hi~. Good to hear that you love beers, the good ones. I love them but I hardly drink but rather sample them. So, you are Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout fan :amuse Do you also like their Imperial Stout? I love Oatmeal but some reason I am not a fan of Imperial. I think I started out with Sheaf Stout and tried different beers and settled with Guinness and Oatmeal Stout.:^_^

@kkck I hope we are not forcing you to drink stout. :eyeroll

@Kaiten Hi

@Teubier Your recommendations to kkck, Asahi & Yebisu are right on, I think. He might find them quite ordinary but would probably like these malt beers.:)
Nah, I have been drinking stouts since for a long time lol (drinking age is 18 when I come from but not even parents care to enforce it.....). Of course it is still something sporadic though given the usual price constraints and brand limitations. Need to search for that imperial stout too, seems epic. I have been trying every beer I care to find for many years now but it is only recently that I increased my efforts to try even more beers and learn more about them.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

kkck, isn't it great that you can now cross out Samuel Adam's Cranberry (pseudo?) Lambic from your beer list? Still, you must have a long to-do list.
My objective is every non light beer on earth so whatever helps lol :p. Somehow I have been avoiding samuel adams up to now, do they have any beers worth trying? I tried one of theirs a year or two ago but even by mass produced beer standards it seemed rather bland. Honestly, someday I hope to go to octoberfest and try every beer I can. My only worry is that my liver will rebel against me and break out of my torso to beat the shit out of me (figuratively) in the middle of it. After that I would hope to go to belgium just for the heck of it lol.

Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Wondered if we need to add "For Age 21+" or something next to the title of this thread.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France

21 is legal age only in US :-)
If you happen to travel to France or have a good liquor store nearby, you can try the Picon-bière. Picon is a bitter magic liquor which makes any average beer taste better. It was quite forgotten, but the revival of old beverage give it a new chance.