The Akika Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Akika Thread

akika

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Introduction:

I've been studying Japanese for six years or so. I've passed the JLPT Level 2.

Right now I'm probably not going to actively or consistently work on any new projects until I finish up till volume ten of Sengoku. However, if a title really interests me, I may translate a chapter or two.

So what kind of manga interest me? I prefer the stuff for older readers, like seinen. I like plotful stuff with detailed characterization, and detailed art. My favorite genres are: historical, horror, and sci-fi/fantasy.

I'm afraid I'm not that interested in translating manga that are already being translated currently by other groups. That means none of the uber-popular Weekly Shounen Jump titles like Naruto or KHR. Nothing against these titles, I just don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Genres I'm not interested in translating: Harem. Episodic manga. I find gag manga really frustrating to translate because translating jokes is really difficult.

Genres I'm neutral on: Romance is hit or miss with me. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. Slice of life is also hit or miss.

Anyway, feel free to ask me questions.

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Where have you been learning Japanese? In university, or self-taught?

What's your favorite Japanese meal?

akika

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
I first learned in university (took up to the fourth year level), but then I learned informally by living in Japan and studying on my own.

I like sushi and tempura, mostly. Also okonomiyaki and unagi don.

Xiphias

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What's your favorite manga for each genre you listed (historical, horror, sci-fi and fantasy)?

I know you're not interested in translated wsj stuff but how do you feel about the multiple translators on a single series like the wsj stuff?

akika

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Historical: technically, not manga, but if we count manhua as well, the Ravages of Time.

For horror, Uzumaki.

Sci fi: Probably... Five Star Stories (helluva hard to read, though) or 20th Century Boys.

Fantasy: Onmyouji.

Multiple translators: If the original translator has given up on a series, I have no problem with it, obviously. Otherwise, unless there is something seriously wrong with the first translation, it seems to be a waste of everyone's time.

L0ki

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Have you read Junji Ito's Yami no Koe? It's a collection of short stories (horror, obviously) and there's only one chapter translated. It doesn't look like it's going to be fully translated anytime soon... or ever. Well, since it's one of your favorite author's works I thought maybe you'd consider working on it.