Question - The “Looking For” Manga Thread | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question The “Looking For” Manga Thread

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Re: Looking for a Shounen/Action Manga.

I'd recommend Kekkaishi, but the Edited Mangas aren't all that far in it. So people might think this manga isn't going anywhere.
And I admit, it's not so plot-driven like other shounens. But if you give it an honest shot, and gow with the flow, this is a very charming and non-typical shounen. Not a lot of traditional fighting with cool moves, but the art of creating barriers to enclose and destroy Ayakashi (demons). The characters are very likable imo, and the humor is pretty quirky as well. The main guy, Yoshimori, has a passion for baking castle cakes ;D

It's one of the most underrated shounens just because it's not traditional in any way. But it's definitely worth a go.
And if you're really bothered by the lack of plot in the beginning, which even I was, just don't push yourself reading this and read a couple of chapters when you don't have anything better to do. The good stuff will come, there's some serious intrigue building since volume 4 with the arrival of the main character's mysterious older brother.

Other shounen manga I really think are worth checking:
Flame of Recca, traditional fight-shounen at it's best, great artwork (after the initial volumes, which just look awkward), kickass comedy, solid character designs. 33 Volumes and finished
Fullmetal Alchemist, if you know this series from the anime, you'd better start reading the manga if ya liked that. Possibly the BEST shounen manga in terms of story.
Hunter x Hunter, a traditional shounen, with a lot of very different approaches. The art is very simple, but the thought went into this makes up for that.
Black Cat, pretty basic action-shounen, but I'm fond of it. It's what I call easy digestable fun, with great artwork and very cute girls. 20 Volumes and finished.
Yakitate!! Japan, a comedy shounen that parodies pretty much everything in the genre. About bakers who battle each other in cooking tournaments, INSANE humor.
666 Satan, in more than one way Naruto's little brother. But it all moves at a very fast pace compared to that, artwork and designs are very good as well. It's a bit more adult as well, gruesome stuff and fanservice are no stranger to Seishi Kishimoto.
Gash Bell; I recently started reading this and I'm enjoying it a lot. If you like Pokemon concepts, as I do, you might like it too. About little demon children who were sent to earth with a book of spells to battle each other to decide the new Demon king. Wacky comedy and characters with heart.

hyper_megaman

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

i still think u should read one piece, give it another shot

it's been top manga in shounen jump for years straight, bleach ranks only 3rd and naruto ranks 5th[br]Posted on: July 25, 2006, 07:52:08 PM_________________________________________________
ttxdragon said:
It is, since as soon as you don't like the artists drawings, the whole things goes down the drain for you.
or do you like to read a manga, when you don't like the art itself? manga is about the art too, thus it's understandable..
and if you hate pirates in general, you get another reason not to like it...

it WAS weird, but so was naruto. in fact naruto was about as much horrible as one piece, they both were at the start.(pretty obvious, see rock lee's first appearance as a chicken) and yes, they both improved as they went along.

the only difference is that you had the patience to keep reading naruto, but never gave one piece a further shot. the art has improved a lot since it first started out, and even though u might judge the character design as being still inferior to the more 'beautiful' mangas, u might wanna check out the action scenes and emotional depictions. it's in a totally different league by itself.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Just for the record, I loved both Naruto AND One Piece at the beginning o.O

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela

hyper_megaman said:
the only difference is that you had the patience to keep reading naruto, but never gave one piece a further shot. the art has improved a lot since it first started out, and even though u might judge the character design as being still inferior to the more 'beautiful' mangas, u might wanna check out the action scenes and emotional depictions. it's in a totally different league by itself.
not to take away your spirit you show trying to convince others... but neither do i like narutos art. even if the storys good and the artstyle might depict some emotions better than other styles, i still don't like the style. and since i take my time viewing the images and not just reading the bubbles and rush through the panels, i can't come to like it even a bit. that goes for one-piece and naruto.

hyper_megaman

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

oh ok then

just don't like people who say one piece sucks but naruto rocks just because of the art style, if u're not one of them then ignore that

zenozatch

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I picked up the 1st 2 Vols. of HunterxHunter.It was okay..all I wanted was more action.

I started reading One Peice again,from Ch.1...currently on Chapter 33...it does start slow,but I've seen most of this in teh anime,so nothings new,but I'll keep reading.[br]Posted on: July 26, 2006, 10:41:15 AM_________________________________________________I read Gash Bell,Naruto,and want to read 666 Satan,but can't find anywhere I can DL the Chapters and not the volumes.[br]Posted on: July 26, 2006, 10:44:15 AM_________________________________________________I think I'm gonna pick Flame of Recca 1st and second VOL up

zenozatch

Reaction score
Country
United States
666 Satan or Naruto?

This probaly has been done,but which do you think is better...I've heard that 666 Satan is copied off Naruto,becasue or something...and it had a timeskip,etc.So..what do yall think?

Kusachu

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: 666 Satan or Naruto?

666 Satan is drawn and written by Masashi Kishimoto's twin brother. If Naruto and 666 Satan are similar it's probably because the men who created them are similar. I prefer Naruto so far. :)

ddadain

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong

lol...

666Satan hands down... It's more interesting, character development more in depth, besides that, it delves in more deeper kinds of plots like life and death, existence of the devil, etc. compared to the mere "friendship beats all" of naruto which it also has.

Adam_xx

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Naruto has my vote for the moment.

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Both aren't that good to be honest, but Naruto is better (Although it is the most over-rated manga of all time if you ask me. But that's irrelevant in this discussion.)

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Hmm I don't really trust this topic, as it's bound to turn into bashing; but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt right now

I say, why choose. They both have qualities as a shounen series, and they're alike because twin brothers share the same DNA.

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

barbapapa said:
I say, why choose. They both have qualities as a shounen series, and they're alike because twin brothers share the same DNA.
And they have had the same influences and always drew stuff together when they were young, but blah. I prefer Naruto right now, but starting with volume 12, 666Satan gets far more interesting, *can't wait for Edited Mangas, lol*

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

Khal said:
And they have had the same influences and always drew stuff together when they were young, but blah. I prefer Naruto right now, but starting with volume 12, 666Satan gets far more interesting, *can't wait for Edited Mangas, lol*
speaking of which, i need to get to scanning it...

rennokun

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia

naruto have better back ground story and the character in naruto is better so far

fireballer666

Reaction score
Country
United States

meh 666 Satan...period.....YEAH....Naruto is way overrated....(is) and 666 satan needs morescans

TeamNaruto

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score

Naruto because it is the most underrated manga of all time!

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! underrated?!?!?!? what manga have you been reading?

kokotas

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece

eh...Screw both, OP FTW xDDDDD

Ahemm, I mean out of these two I'd say 666 xP

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada

NeoShweaty said:
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! underrated?!?!?!? what manga have you been reading?
I think he was being sarcastic.

If he wasn't, then I really pity the guy.