Politics - Thailand Issues | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Politics Thailand Issues

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Living in a neighbouring country to Thailand, I can't help but to notice some major problems disrupting the Thailand's politics concerning the three southern states and the latest, a military coup. I don't want to condemn other countries' internal issues as they should politically solved by them. However, I just curious what you guys feel, especially for those living in Thailand or has been there..

First, the major shake in the 3 southern states, namely Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat. There were killings and bombings. These events have taken place for years now. Until September 2006, more than 1700 people have died. This is caused by the insurgency by the people living in those three states for something that is believed to do with religions here..
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2005/apr2005/thai-a15.shtml
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1698332/posts

Then, the latest is the military coup in Bangkok. I was so shocked when I read the newspaper this morning.
http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?menuID=2&subID=932&WT.srch=1
http://www.topix.net/content/ap/0409951043131642475704373430802339196997

mozetsu

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
this thread is kinda dead, but i just noticed it so i hope nobody mind me bumping it

i was really shocked about the coup too, but i guess i could say it was a time bomb waiting to happen. Nobody really expected it though, but i presonally believe that the King was really behind the coup, or at least supported it. no one messes with him and gets away with it. Thaksin, being a PM can't expect to play around with tax evasion and get away with it.

i have a friend who was living in thailand when it happened, and she said it was quite peaceful, besides having tanks and soldiers everywhere. The day after the coup there was no school, no media but people were out shopping and working as usual.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I know nothing about the on-goings in Thailand, so that was informative. Thanks for posting about it, bax ^^

One of our members here (who's more well known than you might suspect) is actually from there... I'll have to ask her about her thoughts on it sometimes.

amar_kun

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
i am from malaysia, and the news in thailand was quite well known in my country. thaksin, the multi millionaire PM of thailand, was accused of a lot of corruption. he also was accused directing the police of mass killing of people of southern thailand.. so most of the killing there were not done by the so called 'separatist/terrorist', but by the police of the previous government.

before the coup happened, there was a lot of demonstration going on in front of thaksin's office to ask him to step down because the people just can't stand anymore how he manage the country.
the king of thailand however, was quite aware of the state of his country. and he called the army general to make a coup so change the government back to peace. it was a peaceful coup, no one dies from it. the coup happened when thaksin was away in new york for UN meeting. i hope things will be get better after this.

i've give you some links concerning this issue, chronologically (please at least read the ones in bold in you are in hurry):

"Double standard of the previous government towards people in southern thailand"

"Mass killing of so called 'terrorist/separatist' (actually they were just un armed village men and boys)"

"village men and boys detained in 'thailand guantanamo"

"More on the massacre of innocent village men in southern thai"

"pictures of people demonstrating against genocide of the innocent people by the soldier in southern thailand"

"thais academics urged the PM, thaksin to apoligise to the innocent victims family"

"innocent village men released from 'thailand guantanamo' after suspected being terrorist"

"Mahathir (ex Malaysian PM) urged thaksin to give autonomy status to southern thailand"

"Thaksin accused Malaysia and Indonesia responsible for giving 'military training to separatist' in southern thailand"

"Thai probes condemn police action of killing 200 muslims in mosque"

"Malaysia urged Thaksin to win over the hearts of the southern thailand muslim"

"Thai army seized power when thaksin away in New York"

"Coup bring peace and hope to thai muslim"

"New Thai PM Chulanont vows to end unrest in southern thailand"

"Thai king backs south thailand peace drive"

"New Thai PM says sorry to southern thailand people"

"New Thai government wants to compensate the families of the southern thailand massacre by the previous government"

"Thais islamic scholar hails the new peaceful government"