Discussion - Tea Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Tea Thread

mesbah21

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Statistics have shown that color tea is healthier than milk tea.If milk is mixed with tea leaf then a vast amount of utility is reduced.But if tea leaf is boiled for long time then u can have some milk with it according to the scientists.I was reading the article today in a newspaper.What do u think about it?

Schabrak

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: taking tea

Late answer. You should always broil the tea for at least 5-6 minutes, don't really know about milk though, drank it as a kid, now it would be a waste of the good tea itself IMO. Have recently heard that putting honey into the tea instead of eating it directly/from a spoon will void the effects of it though.

Reactions: Day

Dried Ambrosia

A Symphony For Your Taste Buds
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Buy Moria
Re: taking tea

Statistics have shown that color tea is healthier than milk tea
umm..I doubt the colour of the tea itself influences its utility, since for example black tea has different colour and benefits than green tea. However, I do believe that the colour is determined by its infusion time and the tea leaf (broken or whole). Adding milk or honey is not a healthy option. However, using low quantities of honey might help you enjoy the tea even more :derp

could you please link the article you've read??

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now...I'm more of regular english breakfast tea person myself, though when in Scotland I stumbled upon some amazing tea flavours by Forte tea company:

They look amazing and some of the ones I tried had wonderful aromas. Possibly some of the best tea I've had besides stuff from the London Tea Company.

Last edited:

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not a huge tea drinker though people from India do drink tea with milk (cha-ya) or coffee in English on a regular basis. Mostly mornings and afternoons like clock work.

Drank some green tea ( jasmine ) this morning. I'm not sure what to make of it, the flavor was a bit bitter initally as I expected without any additives such as sugar or honey. Before I knew it, I drank the whole thing.

The instructions said boil hot water and place the tea for 2-4 minutes which is what I did. I also heard if you let the water cool a bit before mixing - it takes away a bit of that bitterness as well. This or you can add some sugar or honey, etc.

I drank it without any additives- to see how the taste was. Noticed the fragrance or aroma quickly, which was a nice thing as well.

Crude

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I enjoy English tea. I didn't before but after a very bad throat ache I ended up loving it. The cool thing about drinking tea is that it fills the gap that I would most likely fill with junk food when I get the nibbles. Oh, and it's also for warming up my white walker hands in the winter!

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
I enjoy English tea. I didn't before but after a very bad throat ache I ended up loving it. The cool thing about drinking tea is that it fills the gap that I would most likely fill with junk food when I get the nibbles. Oh, and it's also for warming up my white walker hands in the winter!
Being not a formal tea drinker. I wanted to know what do you add to your tea to enhance the taste, if any.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I am kind of addicted to tea. Just the general jasmine tea, though, since I didn't really think about trying other kinds of tea before. Addicted, as in I can drink tea more than water in a day. I know it's not good but I just love it. XD Other than jasmine tea, I also like earl grey. I don't usually mix my tea with anything, but at times I pour milk in as well and turn it into a milk tea. Depends on the milk as well but generally they taste awesome. <3

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm getting addicted to Jasmine green tea - drank some before sleeping last-night and woke up less tired.

:D

Crude

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Being not a formal tea drinker. I wanted to know what do you add to your tea to enhance the taste, if any.
Nothing much, just some milk and honey. Honey I think goes better with tea than sugar does. Plus it's healthier :)!

Dried Ambrosia

Reaction score
Country
Buy Moria
Of course honey is a more healthier alternative than brown sugar. I've heard rumours saying that local honey has numerous benefits for one's health. I've also read an article related to that.

However, I personally don't add honey to my tea simple because honey increases the calories intake. So basically if I'll take a teaspoon of honey for every cup of tea I'll end up gaining (64x8 big tea cups =>) 512 calories (only from drinking tea :faint)...That's 1/3 of my daily calories intake :gwah)........

As for drinking tea...I'm not hooked on any particular flavour; I just mix and match :3c. However, the only flavour that I truly miss after a while is the ginkgo, liquorice and lemongrass blend.

My modest tea colection includes:
  • ginkgo, liquorice and lemongrass blend
  • apple and cinnamon melange
  • lemon
  • jasmine
  • strawberry and raspberry blend
  • white tea
  • lavender
  • hibiscus, senna, dog rose, elder flowers and lemon blend
  • St. John's wort
  • Valerian, Camille and lavender melange
  • Linden flowers
  • Mint and cinnamon

As you notice, I'm normally drinking green tea, blended or herbal... As for black tea and rooibos.... they are missing from the menu (the taste is just too weird, strong and bitter).

Want to try Gyokuro Jade Dew. I've heard is the best Japanese green tea :3c..I also fancy trying oolong and yellow tea. What will you guys recommend?

On a completely different note ~ tea thread is back on business :confetti...I thought that the precious was lost; but Beary intervened and restored it!

THANK YOU, BEARY CHWAN :crying

just for the record - those are tears of joy​

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Traditional tea aside, I've become a huge bubble tea addict. :sexyarf Out of the big 4 bubble tea franchises I know (Chatime, Bubble Cup, Easyway and Gong Cha), I'm a huge fan of Chatime. I usually get their roasted milk tea or the brown rice milk tea with either herbal jelly or egg pudding. :drool Last semester, I managed to spend about $150AUD on bubble tea. [sizept=2](Because of how good it is, of course. Totally not because there's a really cute guy working there.)[/sizept]

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I love oriental tea. The tea leaves one, not bubble tea.

That aside, does anyone know this type of bubble tea where the bubbles pops/bursts in your mouth and they overflow with honey and stuff? What is this type of bubble tea called? There's a shop here that does that but I always forget the name and order the wrong one... (traditional chewy bubbles... not a big fan of those. Sorry Icei!!! >.< )

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Haha, none taken. I'm not a huge fan of the traditional chewy bubbles either. I usually get grass jelly or egg pudding, not the pearls. :XD
Oooooh, I love those! Not sure about the UK, but they're called pop balls or popping boba here (lulz, sooo original, gaiz).

I love oriental tea as well. :) Last year, I was a huge fan of genmai cha. Other than that, you really can't go wrong with oolong or chrysanthemum tea. :XD Tieguanying is quite good too.

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Lol past tense, you were a huge fan? XD

I'm a super super super fan of Chinese and Japanese tea. I have sooo many cups every day... Big fan of the bottled oolong and green tea too. But they only taste good during the summer, iced, no pun intended.

Hmm yeah the name 'pop' sounds obvious, I think I should just describe it in full next time at the counter -______- But what? Grass jelly/ egg pudding (bubble) tea??! :XD I think I'm misunderstanding something...

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yeah, I suppose I drank it too much last year and I'm kind of sick of the taste now. :XD

Haha, woooow. Good thing you're getting antioxidants and whatnot from it all. How about the flower teas, like jasmine or chrysanthemum?

You do that! :XD What kind of tea do you usually order with it? The pop balls that I get have fruity flavours, so they go well with fruity teas. A friend of mine once got the pop balls with regular milk tea and I wasn't too much of a fan of the combination. :darn
Argh, I'll just go cry in a corner about how out of the big 4 bubble tea franchises here, only one of them sells the pop balls. It's my least favourite franchise too. :emocat

Yeah! It's not just limited to the chewy bubbles (pearls) or the pop balls. :p You can get grass jelly, egg pudding, lychee jelly, sago, etc. as toppings as well. I suppose bubble tea is just an umbrella term for tea in those sealed plastic cups with a topping of some sort. :XD

Dried Ambrosia

Reaction score
Country
Buy Moria
I love oriental tea. The tea leaves one, not bubble tea.
What do you mean by oriental tea? It is the one made from leaves which were bitten by green flies?

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
What do you mean by oriental tea? It is the one made from leaves which were bitten by green flies?
:oh I'm not too bright to see whether that is sarcasm or what, I've never heard of that haha. But I'm mainly referring to Japanese and Chinese tea... Though different varieties do have different taste, Japanese teas are mostly green tea and I tend to stick with normal sencha or genmai, which is basically sencha anyway...

Bubble tea is merely milk tea... (I just don't like the chewy bubbles to be honest...) but Hong Kong-style milk tea are amazing, especially iced. I don't get why the British didn't think of anything like that even though they were the inventors... all that's available here are weirdly fruity flavoured with a random mix of mint and/or I-don't-know-what :/ I'm not too fond of those...

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Oh and @Ice I only discovered those poppy bubble things recently, thanks to a friend's suggestion. Since all I ever thought was bubble tea = chewy bubbles, which I don't like, I never really know too much... It seems you have so much more to offer over there! Or maybe I'm just a bit ignorant >.<;

But I love most or all Chinese tea, yuuuuummm ^^ Jasmine is amazing, chrysanthemum I can't really spell but I love it too. I actually prefer the VITA Chrysanthemum tea, which I think you should know XD VITA Lemon Tea is amazing. There's this honey+chrysanthemum tea packs in grains which you melt it in hot water and they're sooo soothing and tasty especially during the winter! ^^

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Just ordered a new batch of Sencha, Gyokuro and Longjing

Dried Ambrosia

Reaction score
Country
Buy Moria
That was not sarcasm or whatnot :oh. I actually read about it. The tea leaves were bitten by tiny green flies. As a result, the tea itself has a special flavour.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

MM, which one will you recommend - Sencha, Gyokuro or Longjing??