Discussion - Suggestions? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Suggestions?

Emily00

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm thinking about getting more into american comics as I've only read 2 technically, though great ones. The Sandman (Neil Gaiman) and Watchmen. Loved em both so maybe anything similar to 'em, but I'll look at whatever, and can be old or new. :) Thanks!

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Well this one's by a Canadian, but it's Brian O'Malley. Take a look at Scott Pilgrim.

D3M1URG3

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm thinking about getting more into american comics as I've only read 2 technically, though great ones. The Sandman (Neil Gaiman) and Watchmen. Loved em both so maybe anything similar to 'em, but I'll look at whatever, and can be old or new. :) Thanks!
If you liked Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore's works, then I would suggest some other more notable series from them to slowly break yourself into American Comics. Some good choices are....

Neil Gaiman: Sandman, Eternals and his run on Miracleman (or Marvelman if you can't find it under Miracleman).

Alan Moore: Tom Strong, Swamp Thing, Watchmen (which you've read), V for Vendetta, From Hell, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Promethea and The Killing Joke.

I can tell you that Alan Moore Is by far one of the best Comic writers of all time, alongside writers like Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Garth Ennis and Mark Millar.

Lohnt

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
Well I've never followed those two particular series, but from my knowledge Mark Millar fits under that category fairly well.

For general series average readers (without much comic book knowledge) tend to like, I would suggest Runaways, Fables and The Ultimates 2

infamous666

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Josh Wheddon's Astonishing X-men is a must one of the best series of this century

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
There isn't much in comparison to Watchmen and Sandman. These series were just amazing.

Most of American comics unfortunately are somewhat oriented towards action lovers these days... just like Hollywood.

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well I've never followed those two particular series, but from my knowledge Mark Millar fits under that category fairly well.

For general series average readers (without much comic book knowledge) tend to like, I would suggest Runaways, Fables and The Ultimates 2
I'm backing up Runaways and Fables in this. Awesome series.

You might want to try Umbrella Academy, as well.

And my favourite Marvel story to date, Age of Apocalypse.