Science - Student Accidentally Created Rechargeable Battery That Lasts for 400 Years | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Science Student Accidentally Created Rechargeable Battery That Lasts for 400 Years

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
So a battery that can last up to 400 years?

Where does one sign up ?

Thoughts?​

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
What does lasting 400 years mean? As in, you charge it once and you can use a 2019 smartphone for 400 years? Or that it doesn't deteriorate for 400 years? (haven't seen the video yet).

The first one being recharable sounds redundant as no one will live to see the battery run out. This would change the world but you'd never have to recharge it. And the second one is cool but not too cool because your battery from now being useful in 2 years is unlikely anyways. You'd change your phone or it'd be incompatible with whatever you buy later.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Maybe it will help in street lights or other appliances which runs on electricity.

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
What does lasting 400 years mean? As in, you charge it once and you can use a 2019 smartphone for 400 years? Or that it doesn't deteriorate for 400 years? (haven't seen the video yet).

The first one being recharable sounds redundant as no one will live to see the battery run out. This would change the world but you'd never have to recharge it. And the second one is cool but not too cool because your battery from now being useful in 2 years is unlikely anyways. You'd change your phone or it'd be incompatible with whatever you buy later.
I think they meant 400 years equivalence to the charging cycle. I think the video said something about 200,000 + charging cycles can be attained. And there is about a 5 % loss. Going by memory, so if you have time check the video for more accurate numbers.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Maybe it will help in street lights or other appliances which runs on electricity.
Or those houses that use solar and battery for storage. :nod :nod

Well that and along side what you mentioned it can be applied to so many things (many possibilities), if they can make a cheap version of the system.
In the video they said using some-kind of solution that was cheaper would help bring the initial costs down.
Might be wrong here but i think they used some kind of nano gold based plating for the wires for the original succes of this product however to mass - market it, it would be too costly. So they will try to use a cheaper solution's or materials.

TrienDarkform

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The video title is pretty bad.

200,000 charging cycles with 5% capacity degradation.

In comparison, Li ion batteries will have some 10-20% degradation after several hundred cycles, though that will vary a whole lot depending on how far they've been drained and how far they've been topped up (you get the least degradation if you keep it around 50% charge, hence why electric vehicles will do things like not charge over 80% and not drain lower than 30% to minimize degradation)

Now the real question, which the video does not address at all, is... energy density? How much power can you store for a given weight of battery? That's the big question for issues such as electric vehicle range and mobile devices where space is at a premium. If it's got worse capacity than existing batteries, doesn't matter quite so much how many times it can be recharged if it's a worse battery. (Unless you've got a particular application that demands many charge/recharge cycles, like in LEO where you could have orbits that give half an hour of solar charge time, followed by half an hour in shadow, so you're cycling the battery a couple dozen times per day)

Also, can any of this concept be applied to existing battery chemistries?

Last edited:

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
The video does not mention any info on the engergy densities or capacity. Will have to wait and see if they release more info as they attempt to mass market a cost effective product.

They also do not address applying this to current battery chemistries either as far as I'm aware.

But good questions. It would be nice to see if this can have an effect on current tech and also on ev battery technologies.

If I hear anything, I'll post here .

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
From what I can tell the stuff in the video is cool but its not quite a gamechanger. Phone wise the batteries would spare you an annoyance at the most (changing a battery). With a laptop it would spare you a greater annoyance.

theashcat

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it's just an accidental discovery and not the actual final product. The discovery is just a start on the possibility of having a fully working rechargeable battery to last that long. So it's still a long way ahead to make this usable.

FetherMan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States