Shounen - Spriggan by Takashige Hiroshi & Minagawa Ryoji | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Spriggan by Takashige Hiroshi & Minagawa Ryoji

zindryr

誰も知らない
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Re: Spriggan / Striker

Going to have to decline on that one. Got too much work with my current projects and things as is.

zombietoaster

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Darn :(
this is probably the most interesting shounen i have ever read.

_V0iD_

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

zombietoaster if you manage to find a translator, i will definately scanlate it

zombietoaster

Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Well thats the problem as always isnt it :p

i myself are an editor(only done one 100 page book tho) but there is never anyone who can do the translations :p

however. this manga has been translated in quite afew languages. so maybe we could find someone who owns the series in a different language that are willing to translate.

_V0iD_

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

perhaps. but i don't personally know anyone who actually buys manga in any language other than english/japanese

zombietoaster

Reaction score
Country
Sweden

I buy manga in swedish :P
To bad that the only manga i can think of that came to sweden before the US. is one piece. and thats not ahead anymore :(

Ominae

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Pardon for bringing this year-dead post. But I'd like to talk about a few things of Spriggan... You'll be spoiled, so prepare yourselves. If not, then get out of here.

When I've read it (The Japanese one), VIZ mostly cut out parts involving the United States as it has a child soldier unit called COSMOS, made up of brainwashed children. Yu is from the unit and was kidnapped by the CIA. This is mostly the reason why VIZ had major cuts on it. I'd say that this was a bad move since the US Army was, in a way, responsible for Yu's life and how he turned out... They probably did it to avoid getting into trouble with the US Army since Spriggan depicts them as a superpower-hungry country wanting to regain its status as the superpower nation during the Cold War. Coincidentally, the first few chapters were set during the last years of the Cold War.

As for the ending, I do have the manga pages containing 2 gaidens. One gaiden tells about his "first mission" and the other one narrates Yu taking up a Spriggan mission while in college.

Ok, that's enough about Spriggan. Time to talk about me. I did study some Japanese and in a way, am a bit familiar with the language, though not totally fluent. I'm doing a freelance translation of Kyo, another manga made by the Spriggan mangakas and I'll be freelancing a release soon to a Edited Manga group (Too late if you're asking to, "Please let us do it." thing, it's done.)

As of an English translation, Chuang Yi of Singapore is officially doing it using the original version and not the limited edition version (I have it in Japanese) with the gaidens included. However, a Malaysian buddy of mine and Spriggan fan is currently in Singapore to check and see if he can get scans of the English version of Spriggan, totally uncut and uploaded. Chuang Yi's policy is to release Spriggan in Singapore and to whereever it's licensed (e.g. if Singapore and the Philippines made a license deal, then you can find the manga in either the Singaporean or Filipino manga markets. Anywhere else like maybe Australia or Malaysia and you'd better be ready to receive a lawsuit courtesy of C YI's lawyers.). It'd be best if a translator could use the English version to compare with the ones from the Japanese version since C YI has good translation, according to some comments I've heard from the net and it would be a basis for a worldwide Edited Manga release. Otherwise...

I don't know about this, but the only hassle to my translating skills would be the problem of having no furigana to read in kanji. So far, I can understand some without them. However, none of them would mean a nightmare, which is why I rely on online dictionaries to check my translation for me to make sure I don't make a mistake before I send my Kyo translation to some people I've made contact with last month.

I'd like to dabble my hands and on my translation skills from my Japanese schooling, but I'd rather wait first to see if my Malaysian friend got the English scans.

PS - zindryr, for some reasons, the place where the RAWs are were apparently dead. Can't get into the site. This can't be happening!

Last edited:

zindryr

誰も知らない
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Don't worry so much about the site not working. The server is temporarily down from what I can tell. Give it a few days at the least and I can likely find out what's up with the server or it will come back online.

As to the furigana issue, don't worry so much about that. Once you get through a few volumes you'll start to have less and less issues remembering the kanji and how to read/what they mean. Also, I wouldn't go comparing translations to any official release and making modifications as such. You'll end up sounding just like the official release and could face issues because of it (assuming the company that makes it finds the Edited Mangas, and is as lawsuit happy as you claim). Just trust your own skills in translation, or ask about it here in our translation help sections that we have set up. Or even post your translations for it here at MH and mention where you need the help.

Glad to hear someone's planning on doing this (as well as Kyo), takes another off my list of things to translate in the future.

Ominae

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Don't worry so much about the site not working. The server is temporarily down from what I can tell. Give it a few days at the least and I can likely find out what's up with the server or it will come back online.

As to the furigana issue, don't worry so much about that. Once you get through a few volumes you'll start to have less and less issues remembering the kanji and how to read/what they mean. Also, I wouldn't go comparing translations to any official release and making modifications as such. You'll end up sounding just like the official release and could face issues because of it (assuming the company that makes it finds the Edited Mangas, and is as lawsuit happy as you claim). Just trust your own skills in translation, or ask about it here in our translation help sections that we have set up. Or even post your translations for it here at MH and mention where you need the help.

Glad to hear someone's planning on doing this (as well as Kyo), takes another off my list of things to translate in the future.
Ah... About that part on making comparisons. I'd do this to check how accurate it is in how Chuang Yi does their translation. I'm thinking of maybe mixing a bit (but not totally basing everything as you said).

Thanks for the warning anyway.

11 Volumes. But only 3 Volumes are scanlated as far as I know.
If it's the limited edition ones (With the gaidens) and the recently republished ones under Shogakukan Books, it's 11 volumes.

To those interested about the Spriggan translation,

Heidi Scans is preparing to do the release on all 11 volumes. Unfortunately, they seemed to release Volume 4 first, which I've noted them on.

Last edited:

Ominae

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

i would be interested in Editing the volumes (4-11)... its just that i would need someone to translate *looks hopefully at zindryr*
Im downloading it all right now :) many thanks for uploading them :D

All i can do is cry that they never translated more than the first three volumes.

I hope someone sees this thread and decides to scanlate this manga :)
Some info on who's doing the Edited Manga

http://haoscans.wordpress.com/

Apparently, HAO: Heidi's Army of Outlaws is preparing to do this. So far, no progress yet.

Feanor

Reaction score
Country
Germany

I'm also searching for an english Edited Manga of that series.
I do own the german version, but I prefer having it in english

Ominae

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Feanor,

My group, Domo Scans, is currently preparing a joint work with HAO. We're still hammering out the position, particularly the need of a Japanese-English translator and perhaps an editor and cleaner.

If you think you can help in some way, apply here at http://domo-scans.lilneko.net/index.php

Feanor

Reaction score
Country
Germany

They day I posted here, I did the same in the HAO forum (since they did the last release when they were still Heidi scans).

When the forum went down I joined the irc channel and talked with one of the members. He told me where to get the raws. Since I own the series and can edit I only needed them to scanlate it myself.

And he asked me if I wanted to scanlate/translate it for them. Although the details are not clear yet.

I think we also talked about your project.
But before thinking about doing anything else, I want to finish Spriggan.

Ominae

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I see. I'm glad to hear someone's interested.

Are you with HAO now? Kinda curious.

Last edited:

Feanor

Reaction score
Country
Germany

I guess you could say that. Although I haven't joined them officially.

You're with domo scans, who proposed the joint release, right?
could you pm me your email? I got a question

Ominae

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Never mind. I got your e-mail. Thanks.

BaliBoy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Took a while, but here's volumes 1-11 of Spriggan.

Spriggan RAWs

Enjoy, complete series in RAW form.
i've been spending last 3 days for this. but i'm getting dns problem now. Any help?