Roles of Supporting Characters in a Chosen One Story: The Case of Tower of God | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Roles of Supporting Characters in a Chosen One Story: The Case of Tower of God

Aliblack

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Iran
Tower of God is categorized as a ‘chosen one’ story. A chosen one story has a potentially fatal flaw regarding the roles of characters. That is to say, the central tension of the story revolves around the main character. He is the one who is going to overcome the final challenge against the Dark One. This kind of plot has a great potential to make the roles of other characters uncertain in the climax and during other parts of the story. Side characters tend to be the main character’s backup dancers. From a reader’s point of view, their favorite characters might be isolated and narratively, they might lose their agenda and importance in a meta-sense. What consequential roles can they play? The storyline revolves around the destiny of the main character, the chosen one.

Many good stories are handled very well in this plot, but many are also ruined. I feel SIU is walking on edge on this matter. He has gone extreme in creating power levels and the power system in his story. The problem goes beyond the roles of Bam's friends- regulars. Bam will probably become equal to family heads before reaching the 134th floor. What will be the roles of other characters at the time? How can the likes of Yuri and Jinsung help him fight family heads? Nothing may stop Bam from annihilating an entire family. If two family heads decide to take him down together, who can help him except for another irregular?

One solution is to create other storylines that readers care about and build tension around them. Supporting characters might have their own dramatic thread alongside the main character’s. By creating and developing conflicts for them throughout the entire story, SIU might give them roles to play for the climax. In this scenario, they will have some agency.

One of the themes of the Tower of God is equality. How people born in the tower are seen by some mini-gods. The conflict comes from the protagonist's point of view, Bam, and his main opponents, Zahard, and family leaders. Bam doesn’t see his life as more important than other people's. Rey sees others as subjects of sacrifice for him and his goals. The final battle is not only about winning the physical conflict but also the spiritual one. Surely, it is quite possible that some of the irregulars will die and not change. It is also quite possible that some of them will change in the end.

In order for this change not to be seen as cheap and considered believable, tower-borns’ roles are essential. They need to show that they are not creatures, trifles, or worms. They should have integral roles in defeating the opposite side. This brings us to the second solution to the problem: many chosen ones.

I am not convinced that tower-borns can defeat irregulars, and I also believe the evidence is not conclusive. Narratively speaking, it would be a good idea if SIU could convincingly build a few other chosen ones for the final conflicts. However, this solution only justifies the roles of these few characters and excludes many other supporting characters. The roles of other characters might be similar and limited to what Lobadon is going to do: attacking the weakness of Gustang indirectly.

To sum up, regulars such as Khun and Rak are just the tip of the iceberg. It will be in the not-too-distant future that the roles of high rankers also need to be justified.

Jubei_Kibagami

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
(Obligatory: ).... annnndddddd, discuss.

A theme that's increasingly brought up and the problem will only worsen.

A) what do you think of shared protagonists? Rachel is said to be the "heroine" of the story and is also said to be a protagonist by SIU. Similarly with Wangnan. Obviously, this will have to be end-game. Baam is the focus.

B) what are some examples of stories that have successfully handled side characters, no matter how mainstream or vague?

Aliblack

Reaction score
Country
Iran
A) what do you think of shared protagonists? Rachel is said to be the "heroine" of the story and is also said to be a protagonist by SIU. Similarly with Wangnan. Obviously, this will have to be end-game. Baam is the focus.
I had Wangnan in mind. He plays a great role, at least in the sense that he will not become corrupted like Zahard, although he becomes a powerful being. Zahard's goal, in the beginning, was humanistic. He wanted to help people in the tower but ruined it instead, according to the train guardian. Wangnan also wanted to create a better place for everyone. They are similar beings who choose different paths and means for the same goal.

I'm not sure what role Rachel's going to play exactly. Maybe you've heard the saying that the best antagonist is the one best able to attack the protagonist's weakness. Bam's greatest weakness was Rachel herself. That's why I think SIU said that she could shake Bam's whole world. Rachel is going back and forth between protagonist and antagonist for me, mostly antagonist at this point. So both play great roles or should play if SIU handles it well.

B) what are some examples of stories that have successfully handled side characters, no matter how mainstream or vague?

Did you see Avatar The Last Airbender? I think it's a good example of how to handle supporting characters. Of course, its world is not as vast as the Tower of God, and the number of supporting characters is much lower. Still, the point still stands. Tower of God should also manage the problem of this vast number of characters.

Another example that now comes to mind is The Magus of the Library. Brilliant manga. I recommend it if you haven't read it yet. Supporting characters are written very well, and the worldbuilding is amazing. I'm sure that story is progressing towards a point where all of these side characters make a great whole and play their part in the final conflict.

Jubei_Kibagami

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the Tower: there is none who does good, no, not one.

What is 'good' anyways? Baam has aligned with White, a being that never really reformed but killed literally billions. Seems to overshadow even a baby-killer. Zahard allows for regs to do their own thing. Murder is basically sanctioned though, and since 2F everyone is essentially guilty. Everyone has blood on their hands. Urek killed a bunch of rankers that he could have simply kneecapped. Most in the Z army are just trying to earn a living, but have also spilled blood. Everyone one of Baam's FUG allies is a stone-cold killer. People on both sides of the conflict have literal demons. The list goes on and on.

Aliblack

Reaction score
Country
Iran
In the Tower: there is none who does good, no, not one.

What is 'good' anyways? Baam has aligned with White, a being that never really reformed but killed literally billions. Seems to overshadow even a baby-killer. Zahard allows for regs to do their own thing. Murder is basically sanctioned though, and since 2F everyone is essentially guilty. Everyone has blood on their hands. Urek killed a bunch of rankers that he could have simply kneecapped. Most in the Z army are just trying to ear a living, but have also spilled blood. Everyone one of Baam's FUG allies is a stone-cold killer. People on both sides of the conflict have literal demons. The list goes on and on.
I don't disagree. Wangnan himself admitted that he was guilty. He wanted to be forgiven. His purpose is to get rid of the competition system which fuels people's greed. They kill each other to climb and set foot on others' dreams for their own. If you mean he's also killing to climb the tower. I agree. I think he sees it as necessary for a greater (ethical?) goal. I think an act of injustice is acceptable if it prevents a greater injustice and it's the only way to do that. The problem with this reasoning is how you can be sure to achieve your goal. Wangnan might kill all these people and won't accomplish anything. So it's complicated.

Demonspeed

Damegami
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
The eternal question... If there weren't so many stickied threads because of Fast Pass this thread along with a Baam's power level thread and maybe a tier list could be stickied.

I think the first question which comes to mind when I see this discussion is: Who do you consider a supporting character? I see for example people complaining about AA for his relevance and some power ups but he is undeniably a main character, just not the hero/protagonist.

Also, the "main group" itself is the group of Regulars around Baam, some much more important than the others. There are more and more Rankers in the story because of Baam's growth but in the end they are rarely going to be relevant for more than an arc.

I have more to say on the subject but speaking only about the current arc, I think SiU has been handling the cast well so far. And I am speaking about the cast as a whole. But again depending on your beliefs this could change.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I have no time to long posts right now but I will say this:

Tower of God is definitely a battle shonen type of series and Baam has many traits of the common OP MC you see in Isekais nowadays but there is more to the story of ToG than just battles. Baam as a character is also not supposed to behave like the common OP Isekai MC who is cocky, has relationships with hundred of girls etc. It will always stings if you think it's what he is supposed to become.

The most important characters IMO in the story are: Baam himself obviously, Rachel, AA, Rak, Androssi, Yuri and Wangnan.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
The story needs a lot more leesoo and anak. Anak should be in this arc as part of the competition. I can't help but remember the back in the day anak wondering if leessoo was a good man. Her having no context of anything while also illegally possessing zahard's blood along with the hypothetical scenario of ending bam's wife of all things is a huge missing opportunity for plot and comedy.

Aliblack

Reaction score
Country
Iran
And here I was talking about how on edge SIU was and how he could ruin the narrative! I hoped that SIU would follow a logical path to solve the problem, but he did it and will keep doing it in the cheapest possible way. Seriously, this is one of the most disappointing chapters I've read so far. God, I can't believe it!

Jubei_Kibagami

Reaction score
Country
United States
regulars such as Khun and Rak are just the tip of the iceberg. It will be in the not-too-distant future that the roles of high rankers
Ali the seer with this thread.