Awards - Oscars Contest 2021 | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Awards Oscars Contest 2021

Would vote in Golden Raspberries warm-up event in 2022?

• Yes - sounds fun!

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Yes - If there are badges in play!

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

What a thrilling race! I've now done the initial count. I'll re-check these after sleeping, but sually I'm pretty accurate. If you see any mistakes, please inform me asap!

And the results are:

3rd place is a three way tie: with 14 points congratulations to
@goldb
@Gajeel
and the mysterious legend @George Monkey

On 2nd place with 15 points, is the blonde even dirtier than Carrey Mulligan in Promising Young Woman:
@Ustegius

And with 16 points, taking his third Oscar badge home - THE WINNER is none other than our very own
@Organizized

See the results here

Stats and Graphs for Nerds

Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I’ve still only seen a handful of these films but I’ll still make some educated guesses and hope for the best.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I also made my guesses. Pretty generic picks along the predicted pre-favorites. Risked a little in one category. As for what comes for our little game here, I think The Best Song Category will be the deciding point.

Little pre-teaser with the stats from current 8 voters:

The biggest winner of the gala will go home with 4 Oscars
13 different films will an award
Most one-sided category is Best Animated Film
The Category of most different picks is best Picture (5 candidates)
Most Even Category is Best Documentary

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I feel like the toughest call is between Mulligan and Davis for Best Actress...

Best Song will be a close one too. I’m just really glad Molly Sandén (from Sweden) gets to perform Husavik at the ceremony. Not that I’m her biggest fan (though she’s a great singer) but still... “party at the market square!” @Ustegius :XD

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I feel like the toughest call is between Mulligan and Davis for Best Actress...

Best Song will be a close one too. I’m just really glad Molly Sandén (from Sweden) gets to perform Husavik at the ceremony. Not that I’m her biggest fan (though she’s a great singer) but still... “party at the market square!” @Ustegius :XD
I also think Andra Day is a legit option there, She did snatch the Globe after all. But maybe she is at slight disadvantage due the whole film being the most mixed reviewed of the three. But yeah, this is maybe the most high quality category this year in general.

Best song is yeah hard one. Husavik, Io Si and Speak Now - any of them could get it. I'm leaning towards Speak Now, because despite having multiple nominations, it won't likely win any of those. So it'll be bit of an nod towards the film.

I can dig your enthusiasm for that even if you don't like the artist! I'm personally most excited for Best Sound category, because Sound of Metal has a finnish foley team, lead by Heikki Kossi, so this might be the closest thing Finland ever comes to "winning an Oscar" if Sound of Metal wins. Strong year for Kossi generally as well - Hillbilly Elegy and Billy Day Vs. also had their foleys done by Kossi and his team.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I definitely think Sound of Metal is taking Best Sound. It’s a great film and the fact that it’s made me genuinely scared every time my ears are blocked or something since I watched it is a testament to how much of an impact the sound implementation in the film had.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Okay, having now also watched Trial of the Chigaco 7, the Editing category is another close one imo. Sound of Metal has the Sound nomination (and likely win) which usually helps in Editing as well, but Trial has much more - and more “flashy” - editing which is usually the type that takes that prize. I’ll be deciding on my picks right before the deadline it seems..
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Looking into the races a bit closer, both Screenplay categories are pretty close as well (Nomadland vs The Father – PYW vs TotC7). Honestly I haven’t been keeping tabs enough to feel secure in any of these categories either. I have little hope of winning this year. :XD

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Yeah the same. I've hardly seen any of these. I just made educated guesses and hope it's enough.

I actually thought TotC6 was front runner for editing, and took a little risk with picking Sound of Metal.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
12,5 hours left. No worries.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Reading these comments... It's too bad I won't get a special medal if I unwillingly miss all my nominations.

I won't be changing my original picks, though, alea iacta est.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I've seen about a handful of films, they're mostly good but something about this year's selection just strikes me as a little "eh".
Of course, pandemic and all, but this might actually be the first year in 15 years or so where I don't tune in from beginning to end... we'll see.

I can't say I'm too excited for it, all I know is that I'm banking hard on Sound of Metal.

When it comes to Best Actor, obviously I'm going with Riz, but at the end of the day I'll be equally happy if Steven Yeun wins, makes absolutely no difference to me.

The reason I decided to pick Riz (and Sound of Metal in general) over Steven, is because the focus is entirely on him for pretty much the entire film, whereas with Minari, you go back and forth between several characters. And for me at least, the more time you spend with an actor, the more "best-actor-y" it feels, if that makes any sense.

In short, there wasn't as much Steven Yeun as I'd hoped for, even though it's still a tremendous performance (although I still prefer his role in Burning, I guess, very different but still).

As for the rest, I'm having a really hard time with picking Best Director.
I want to pick Thomas Vinterberg, but it's obvious he won't win.
Promising Young Woman doesn't really deserve much of anything (sorry), especially not Editing.
I think I'll go with Nomadland for Director, I also picked that film in a few other categories but honestly it's because I didn't like any of the other choices.

More thoughts maybe if I have the time.

Sound of Metal winning:
- Best Picture
- Best Actor
- Supporting Actor

Is all I really want/care about this year, I think, but if Minari is shown just as much love, I'm happy.
I didn't like Minari nowhere near as much as Sound of Metal, but yeah.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I’m going with risky bets this year. There are several categories that’s basically toss-ups between two nominees, and I’m usually really salty when I go back and forth and in the end pick the wrong one, but this year I’m less invested in the whole thing so might as well go gutsy.

So I’m going Husavik over Speak Now (Song); The Father over Nomadland (Adapted Screenplay); Mulligan over Davis (Actress); Sound of Metal over TotC7 (Editing)...

And while I think the frontrunner in Best Picture is widely seen as Nomadland, I can definitely see TotC7 or Minari nabbing that prize tbh thanks to the preferential ballot (ie they get more #2 and #3 rankings besides their #1 picks). Nomadland could be this year’s Roma or Three Billboards in that sense.

If my son wakes me tonight I will probably stay up and watch the ceremony, otherwise I’ll be checking in tomorrow to see how bad I lost. :XD

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
When it comes to Best Actor, obviously I'm going with Riz, but at the end of the day I'll be equally happy if Steven Yeun wins, makes absolutely no difference to me.
I don't know about the performances personally, but I think the category is almost given to Boseman due to his passing.

We are now at 15 participants!

No any interesting statistical changes, quite similar to last update.

The Best Song keeps changing with every new participant, going back and worth between 3 songs.

I think I just have time to watch ToftC6 before the finnish broadcast starts. :nod

I have nothing tomorrow, so I plan to test drive our brand new sofa-bed. Open it up, I have few beers, energy drinks, pop corn, chocolate and a frozen pizza waiting for me. So I'll open up the sofa, settle myself nicely and enjoy film industry untill early morning, and then just sleep there.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I don't know about the performances personally, but I think the category is almost given to Boseman due to his passing.
To be honest I had completely forgotten about it...

It's a sucky thing for me to say, but I also think there's a high probability that he might win.
Haven't seen the film, I'm sure he's great, great talent that passed away, way too soon, but I can't help but think this could turn out a little like The Dark Knight/Ledger.

Again, not taking away from the performances, but you kinda gotta wonder if them passing away doesn't play a part in the nominations/win...

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
About 50 minutes before the gala starts, now we are 17 participants.

I didn't know they were doing the song performances during the Red Carpet event. Now I'm dissapointed I missed 3 out of 5.

I did wath ToftC6. Great film! Few very chilling and captivating scenes. Definetly worthy of being up there, but not really as impressive as for example Three Billboards, which saw finally last week.

8 minutes. Still time to make a quick vote.

The poll is closed. Enjoy the gala and keep your fingers crossed for your bets and personal favorites.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
My bladder woke me up almost right on time. So here I am. I’ve got work in the morning (it’s 2AM) so we’ll see how this goes by yeah. Let’s go.

Missed Fennell's speech, will have to watch it later, but I'm 2 for 2 after the Screenplay categories!

Congrats to our neighbours Denmark for the Druk / Another Round win! It's one of the few I've seen and the only one in the category but I do feel it's deserving. (And the speech was really emotional...)

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Yeah, I knew about his daughter before, but it still teared me up. Touching moment.

Currently we have one person who has nailed all 4 categories. :heh

It's a little funny, and kinda great, that not a single one of the 4 Oscars this far, has gone for an american.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
The ceremony itself is pretty dull tbh.. but it's quite fitting for me who wasn't super hyped for it and just woke up for it. :XD

Daniel Kaluuya's speech was great though!

Currently we have one person who has nailed all 4 categories. :heh
Let's goooooo!

Glad I changed my mind to The Father in Adapted at the last minute. Hope the rest of the gutsy changes pay off too. :sweat

Kaluuya thanking his parents for having sex is the moment of the night so far.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Yeah, it been a little stale event. Like good presenter and speeched, but nothing really standoutsih.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Should've written down my predix so I could keep tabs on how I'm doing. No misses yet though!

Is it weird to say that I've missed Joon-Ho and his interpreter? :sweat :XD

Chloe Zhao officially the second woman ever to win Best Director! Nice.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Yeah! Great answer to Bong-jon as well - think of what Werner Herzog would do. :lmao

But she seems super empathetic person.