Awards - Oscars Contest 2020 | Page 11 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Awards Oscars Contest 2020

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Thank you all for participating in this event! This was a record year of participants and I'm glad about that! Thanks for the production and marketing team of Joker for such an excellent poster to use as banner material to lure curious people in!

But now for the most important part - winners!

On shared 3rd place (16 points) - @xi0 and @FaustXIII. Congratulations on good effort!

On shared 2nd place (18 points) - the formidable film lover @Eigengrau and none other than the mysterious legend himself @George Monkey. Again so close! Maybe next year is the year of this DiCaprio of MH. Congratulations for both for the extremely even and valiant fight for the throne.

*drumroll*

And on 1st place (18 points) - with the tie-breaker advantage from the Big 5, the many time nominee and second time winner -
Congratulations to my Swedish-dupe account @Organizized

Disclaimer: I did the counting in a very tired state. If you spot any mistakes, let me know! The badge will be awarded later this month.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Try to let go of our egocentricity and help each other find the best way of living and co-existing for as long as we can.
Which is kind of funny coming from him after his antics with "I'm Still Here"... but I guess he still chalks that up to some sort of method acting or weird publicity stunt.

But people don't want to see and hear the overall message of his speech, they just attack and ridicule him for giving the example of how cows are treated for us to get milk. Which is ironic.
Not that I'm overflowing with sympathy for the rich and famous but there's a lot of anti-Hollywood sentiment in regards to stars using their platform for political or social issues. You know, except when maybe one of them goes against the grain and says something they agree with, then everything is fine. But the "act and stfu" thing is very real. It's this weird dehumanization of people that goes on, like they're only a product to consume and they should have no public stance on anything of consequence. But that's kind of Hollywood's fault in a way too...

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
It's so easy to be a hypocrite. I say all this, but I still buy milk chocolate and confections containing eggs and dairy and contribute to the problem. I just try to be honest with myself that I'm prioritizing my own selfish needs wants over the well-being of other animals, because I feel this whole system we have built has been enabled due to people shutting their eyes to the consequences of it. Disconnecting, as you say. Maybe one day this will indeed push me into veganism. Maybe not. Since I live on the countryside I have the ability to buy products made with local dairy products and not support factory farming, which I feel is better environmentally than buying even more oat milk partly produced in China.

In the end I just don't see what's so bad about suggesting we might be able to do more to be better people.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Not that I'm overflowing with sympathy for the rich and famous but there's a lot of anti-Hollywood sentiment in regards to stars using their platform for political or social issues. You know, except when maybe one of them goes against the grain and says something they agree with, then everything is fine. But the "act and stfu" thing is very real. It's this weird dehumanization of people that goes on, like they're only a product to consume and they should have no public stance on anything of consequence. But that's kind of Hollywood's fault in a way too...
For sure. See a lot of the same in the music industry too. Like when Springsteen made anti-trump statements and people were like "musicians should just play their music and leave politics out of it", "been a fan all my life but now I'm never listening to you again". Like, did you EVER listen to him? His music should've been a clue as to his political views.

Joaquin was very much against film awards for a long time. He openly said he "doesn't want it" when he was up for an Oscar for The Master, which likely factored into him not winning. And he's still been clear that he doesn't think the awards he's gotten have any real meaning, but based on what he said now, he's come to view the ceremonies as a medium of opportunity to reach out and make his voice heard rather than just a masturbatory spectacle.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I mean, I still think it's a bit ridiculous and masturbatory like anyone else... but I don't think people should get crucified for giving a shit about something, even if you don't agree with what they're saying. Listening is a pretty cool thing, not that most people bother with that anymore.

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was generalizing, yeah. The people I was talking about are the ones who, upon meeting a vegan, instantly have to emphasize their love for bacon, bacon and bacon and that vegetables is "rabbit food" etc etc. This is obviously very deflecting behavior and they just don't want to care, neither about the animals who are bred to be killed after a month nor about the effects on the environment.

But I agree that just as those people need to know at whose/what expense they're supporting the meat/dairy industry, those on a plant-based diet need to ensure that they're choosing the most sustainable option available to them. Lots of vegans look down upon meat eaters in an environmental aspect without bothering to find out where their own food products come from. Sure, in general plant-based food has a significantly lesser negative effect on the environment than an animal diet, but obviously buying meat off your local hunter is better for the environment than buying three nets of avocados a week which has been flown from the other side of the earth to meet your demand.

And that was kinda my point as well, what I liked about Joaquin's speech - it wasn't just a "vegan speech", it was more about that we as humans need to consider the impact our actions has on the earth, animals and each other. Try to let go of our egocentricity and help each other find the best way of living and co-existing for as long as we can.

But people don't want to see and hear the overall message of his speech, they just attack and ridicule him for giving the example of how cows are treated for us to get milk. Which is ironic.
Wouldn’t taking plants from the ground be worse than taking milk from cows in his perspective? He’s stating humans just take and control but other animals take their prey in order to live. While I agree with the first part of his speech, the part about taking other species wasn’t throughly thought out. This isn’t the first time he spoke out against the agriculture industry.
That’s what bothers me the most when people criticizes the farming industry — plants are technically “species” and we take them in order to survive. All animals take another species in order to live. Lions eat their prey alive without consent while herbivores take plants to live. It’s like in Full Metal Alchemist when Ed and Al were on that island and they found out they either had to eat the ants or be eaten by them, which means taking life is the only means of living. When he says controlling other species is a human thing he is mislead.

Celebrities can have their own opinion, but when it comes to religion and politics anything they say will cause a reaction.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
That’s what bothers me the most when people criticizes the farming industry — plants are technically “species” and we take them in order to survive. All animals take another species in order to live. Lions eat their prey alive without consent while herbivores take plants to live. It’s like in Full Metal Alchemist when Ed and Al were on that island and they found out they either had to eat the ants or be eaten by them, which means taking life is the only means of living. When he says controlling other species is a human thing he is mislead.
The difference is that humans can make a choice about what they eat. Animals mostly only do it instinctively, especially non-mammals. I think there is a moral argument that can be made about choosing not to kill other animals in order to survive. Especially when the alternative is the consequences of factory farming.

Not that a personally believe that killing other animals is immoral though. It's more about how these animals are treated more than anything else. And something like hunting is almost necessary when talking about ecology. The most hardcore vegan will say that it's only like that because of our presence and impact on the environment, but that kind of thing can't be negated, only minimized.

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The difference is that humans can make a choice about what they eat. Animals mostly only do it instinctively, especially non-mammals. I think there is a moral argument that can be made about choosing not to kill other animals in order to survive. Especially when the alternative is the consequences of factory farming.

Not that a personally believe that killing other animals is immoral though. It's more about how these animals are treated more than anything else. And something like hunting is almost necessary when talking about ecology. The most hardcore vegan will say that it's only like that because of our presence and impact on the environment, but that kind of thing can't be negated, only minimized.
Yes, everyone choses what they put in their mouth but Joaquin Phoenix, which is most like vegans, uses an extreme appeal to emotion in his speech that is intended to make people feel guilty. To presume animals think or process emotions just as humans is illogical because a cow's brain differs from a human. We don't know how cows feel when they are milked and we cannot but I don't need to be shamed when I consume milk. I'm not an evil person for not feeling any guilt for taking milk from a cow. If anything he is being hypocritical stating humans are controlling others yet he is trying to control people into a vegan lifestyle. Also, as mentioned, plants are interesting species that communicate through roots and can survive in winter. To take them out of the ground when they are content living in the earth is brutality. Yet, they don't make cute posters trying to scare people so they can be eaten. :notrust