Movies - MH Oscars Contest 2019 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies MH Oscars Contest 2019

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
WOOP WOOP
Is that the sound of da Police?
No, no it isn't...

It's the sound of my excitement, at it being Oscar season again!

Similar to last year, we are hosting our own Oscars contest (a far superior contest as the vast majority of the people involved in this Oscars competition are not obnoxious arseholes).

Unfortunately, unlike the 'official' Oscars competition, we can not [read: will not] offer actual physical trophies – but, instead of that, we can offer you one better:
A low resolution badge to display under your username, highlighting your superiority in predicting the outcome of ridiculous popularity contests!!!!!!

We really do treat you guys far more kindly than you deserve...

So, now that the intro is out of the way, we welcome you to the:

MH Oscars Contest 2019

If you don't know the rules, please read on!
If you already do know (and, really, by now you should...), the pain finally ends fun finally starts on the 24th February, at the 91st Academy Awards.

Rules:
- Go HERE and make your picks

- The user with the most correct guesses wins the award. Remember to leave your username in the poll.
Remember: No name, no win.

Use a pseudonym and you'll

You heard the man!
Even if you guess the most correctly, if you use a fake name you'll lose (in the game and at life).

- Only 1 entry allowed. In case an user does multiple entries, only the last one counts.

- In case of a tie, the user with most corrects in the Big 5 Categories wins. (Best Film, Directing, Lead Actor, Lead Actress, and both Screenplay categories)

- If still a tie, then I am sure we will be able to think of some way to trick the system to make our friends win break any ties.

-You are free to vote until Monday 25th 1AM (GMT) / Sunday 24th 8PM (EST) / Sunday 24th 5PM (PST)

- You are allowed to discuss your picks and personal favourites in the thread. Telling us why you voted how you voted is highly important necessary recommended.

Xadyu

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
Can't remember if I participated last year, but this time I took the time and selected a few. It's actually a mix of predictions/personal wishes. So who knows.

Temperance

The Red Spear
Reaction score
Country
France
Submitted my guesses :cookiehand

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Still due to watch a few, then will make my “Will-Could-Should win” list and submit my guesses. :nod

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I still need to watch about 7 of these. Will hopefully find the time to do so and submit my usual high quality
guesses
predictions.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Damn it, that Best Supporting Actress category is a tough call. King won the Globe and the Critics’ Choice but wasn’t even nominated for the SAG or BAFTA, while Adams, Stone and Weisz got nods from all. But then, SAG gave Emily Blunt the win over Adams and The Favourite’s ladies, and she’s not even nominated at the Oscars. So if they couldn’t beat someone who didn’t even get an Oscars nod, how can they win at the actual Oscars? BAFTA gave the award to Weisz, but they love awarding their own countrymen..

On the other hand, Beale Street isn’t exactly a front runner in other categories, while all four other nominees are in Best Picture-nommed films with Best Actor and Actress nominees beside them, which means they’re more likely to be seen by more people than King...

Yes, I’m giving this a lot of thought. :cookiehand Statistics is becoming less of a friend the last few years when it comes to predicting the Oscars..

I submitted my predix earlier but might just change my mind in this particular category. It’s almost a 50/50 between King and Weisz when all things are considered.. I thought both were spectacular but I personally favor Weisz, and might change my pick to her too... The fact that King only won Critics’ awards and wasn’t even nominated in any (BAFTA, SAG) where the actual film industry makes the decisions (as with the Oscars) is definitely a heavy factor to consider. Argh!

Last edited:

Faust

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I'm trying not to vote for The Favourite in almost all the categories where it was nominated. I probably won't win this prediction contest if I did hahaha. But it's just so damn good, it's kinda hard not to vote for it :shakefist

But I don't see The Academy giving it to Yorgos over Cuaron...
And King is still probably the favorite to win Best Supporting Actress.

Roma and Vice are the only best picture nominees that I haven't seen atm.

I will send my prediction once I've seen all the Best Picture nominees.

Xadyu

Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
I changed my mind about something. :emocat

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I changed my mind about something. :emocat
Submit again. Mark it Xadyu 2 or something and it replaces your previous ballot. :nod I’m going to submit again too because I’ve changed my mind about several things..

Reactions: z.5

Xadyu

Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
Submit again. Mark it Xadyu 2 or something and it replaces your previous ballot. :nod I’m going to submit again too because I’ve changed my mind about several things..
Nah, I don't want to Xadyu 38932 this shit. I'll keep it as it is.

Won't matter much anyway.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I changed mine. In quite a few cases my head wanted to pick one film, but my gut feeling made me pick another... This is what lost me this game last year, when on a whim I changed ONE prediction at the last minute and then @Brandish won with the exact same scorecard I had before the last-minute change... inb4 the exact same thing happens again. :oh

Still, this year a lot more categories are wide open compared to last year, so shooting from the hip based on a gut feeling could pay off... I hope. :catshrug

Typing up my predictions and will post tomorrow or Sunday I guess. :nod

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
So these are my picks.
Tried not to overthink them too much this year, but I have a feeling that the awards will end up being distributed a little over the place, I don't know.

Also FYI, regarding all of my picks, the only ones that I have actually seen are: Roma, The Favourite, First Reformed, Shoplifters, A Quiet Place, Ready Player One, and Bao (animation short).
:ohaielmo
----------------------------------
Best Picture/Best Director/Best Cinematography/Production Design/Sound Mixing -> Roma
I didn't really super enjoy the film, but considering that I've only seen Roma and The Favourite out of all the Best Picture nominees this year (and hardly believe that the rest deserved to be nominated), I feel like Roma has earned those.
:cookiehand
Best Costume Design/Film Editing -> The Favourite.
Best Actress -> Olivia Colman. I would like to see her win, but this year none of the nominees makes me go "she absolutely has to win". I also don't think Yalitza Aparicio deserved a nomination. Good for her and all that, but there just wasn't much at all to her character in Roma. That might've been the point, I don't know, but in my opinion it wasn't worthy of a nomination. Toni Collette should've been on there...
Supporting Actress -> between Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone, I picked Emma Stone, because I feel like there was more development/action surrounding her throughout the film, but if Weisz wins that's fine as well, obviously. I also feel like the nomination for Marina de Tavira (Roma) was not earned.
Best Actor -> Viggo Mortensen, because I like Viggo. I'm ok if Willem Defoe wins as well, but I don't think any of the rest deserve it. Bale did the usual (but hard to achieve) transformation, but the movie is ass from what I hear. Same thing with Rami Malek; if he wins, that's good for him, but I hardly think that the film has enough merit to be nominated for the Oscars. Just my opinion.
Supporting Actor - > Richard E. Grant, only because it seems like the most likely choice. I would be ok/happy if Adam Driver wins, because he's cool.
Adapted Screenplay -> The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, for no real reason, although I seriously can't imagine the Coen brothers winning when they don't have a film this year that's also running for the top awards, so I don't know... BlacKkKlansman, maybe? I don't think any other has a chance, honestly. A Star is Born has been what, adapted like 4 times already?
Best Original Screenplay -> First Reformed. At first I was going to leave it with either Roma or The Favourite, but after seeing both films, I'm sorry Yorgos, I love you buddy, but First Reformed is without a doubt the most original screenplay out of all of those. When I first saw the film, I was super intrigued and taken aback (in a good way) because I honestly could never tell where the next scene would go. It's a shame that First Reformed didn't get any other nominations, like Best Actor, for instance, so this is one of the few categories where I really hope my pick wins.
Animated Feature -> Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Haven't seen it, probably won't, but given all the hype and praise it's pretty much a lock at this point, in my opinion.
Foreign Language Film -> Shoplifters. After much debating, I decided to stick with the film I liked the most. I feel like Cold War has the best chances if Roma doesn't win, but if Roma wins Best Picture it might not win Foreign Language as well... I don't know, it's such a mess and there's so many variables, I just said screw it, Shoplifters it is, enjoyed it 100% more than Roma because it actually has an entertaining and surprising plot.
Best Documentary -> Free Solo. Another one I haven't seen and probably won't, but from what little I've seen it seems to be the best contender.
Makeup and Hairstyling -> Border. I'll only be able to see it after the Oscars, but I don't mind at all betting on a foreign film, makes me happy to see one in there.
Original Score -> Isle of Dogs, heard one song and really liked it, plus the composer is pretty dope. Haven't seen the film.
Original Song -> "Shallow" (A Star is Born), because it's probably the most likely (haven't even heard it).
Sound Editing -> A Quiet Place. Initially had my vote for Roma as well, but I honestly didn't feel like the sound was as great as so many people had said... maybe my theater just wasn't well equipped for the 7.1 sound (although they said they were), but yeah, I feel like A Quiet Place could be taking this one home. Didn't love the film, but I feel like it deserves it.
Visual Effects -> Ready Player One, only because it's a film that relies (mostly) on virtual reality and stuff, so I feel like it's the best contender. Like, sure, Avengers might have super dope effects, but pretty much all the Marvel films do, nothing super groundbreaking about that, but with Ready Player One it's integral to the story, so yeah that's what I think.
Documentary (Short Subject) -> Period. End of Sentence. Just a hunch.
Short Film (Animated) -> Bao. Seen it, thought it was cute/alright.
Short Film (Live Action) -> Mother. Just a hunch.

----------------------------------

So that's 5 picks for Roma, and 4 for The Favourite.
I'd be ok if any of the two cleans house, I really don't think any of the other films deserves the awards as much (or at all... :frankerz...)

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
So these are my picks...
You filled the form out and are just giving away your guesses, so others can copy you verbatim?

Or

You filled the form out and this is some cunning way to trick others into picking people and films that you don't think will win?

I mean, obviously you've already filled the form out and didn't think that the way to enter was to post your picks here.
That would be silly, considering that you've already read the rules, right?
:verily

Temperance

The Red Spear
Reaction score
Country
France
You filled the form out and are just giving away your guesses, so others can copy you verbatim?

Or

You filled the form out and this is some cunning way to trick others into picking people and films that you don't think will win?

I mean, obviously you've already filled the form out and didn't think that the way to enter was to post your picks here.
"What? Rules ?":lambirb

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall

Or

Is this against the rules in any way '-'?
Because... I did the exact same thing last year :O...

I don't have a problem talking about my picks, and besides,

- You are allowed to discuss your picks and personal favourites in the thread.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)...
But umm, yeah, it's all fun and games to me, literally, and this year I really don't think I'll be nailing a ton of them, so it's whatevs.
Also, there's also a local contest in my country where the people with most votes will win a trip to LA, but I'm not taking part in it because I don't want to go to LA :p. If only there was a money prize... oh well.

Reactions: z.5

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Is this against the rules in any way '-'?
Because... I did the exact same thing last year :O...
Not at all, I'm just being a smarmy git
(... and just checking to make sure you did do the form and not think that you had to PM/post list here - be a shame if you [or anyone else - except Darky (no one cares if he makes a mistake or not)] picked the most winners, but failed due to some small misunderstanding like that)

Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I was gonna post my “Will win/Could win/Should win” list but you just made me change my mind.

Not that I’m overly confident in my picks anyway, but you know... in it to win it nonetheless. :catshrug

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I was gonna post my “Will win/Could win/Should win” list but you just made me change my mind.
Yeeah... probably not the best idea to discourage discussion
:invalid

I've not actually had much time at all this year to watch films - any of the nominations get the greatly sought after

Orgy
?

Faust

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Ended up voting for The Favourite as Best Picture in the end just like just I did last year with Three Billboards... even though The Shape of Water is the clear favorite and ended up winning in the end. This year doesn't have a clear favorite though, which is exciting. The movies that will likely win Best Picture in my opinion is either Roma or Black Panther.

Emma and Rachel's performances in the movie was really good, I haven't seen If Beale Street Could Talk but the buzz of her winning is really apparent.
If I were to pick between Emma and Rachel's performance, I'd probably pick Rachel's because her acting was more on point. Emma Stone's character have more character development, but acting wise I thought Rachel's portrayal is better, not to belittle Emma's.

Watching Roma on Netflix right now (my friend in Texas is letting me use their account haha), half-way through the movie. Mexico looks so much like the Philippines, the Spanish influence in Mexico is way greater though.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I might change my votes later after seeing this movie in it's entirety.

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
As a little teaser from the current poll:

- There are two categories, in which every voter chose the same contestant.
- There is only one user who made an unique pick in the Best Picture category
- There are two voters who are not registered MH usernames (this always boggles me)