Favorites - Mascot Characters | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Favorites Mascot Characters

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
There's usually a character in a series that's not human but without this furry/scaly/spiky companion, the cast of characters will feel empty. They're the mascots, and sometimes they're more iconic than the humans themselves.

These can be an animal (with or without magical properties), a mythical animal like a dragon or some one-of-a-kind fantasty creature that only exists in the series.

To start off:

1. Luna and Artemis (Sailor Moon): No matter who you are, I'm pretty sure you know them. They are anthropomorphic cats and can talk to humans.
  2. Leon (Katekyo Hitman Reborn): He's a chameleon with the ability to transform into anything he's ever seen. From Chapter 1, he's always with his companion, Reborn: without Leon, there is no Reborn; without Reborn, there is no Leon.

So far I listed off two animals but anything else that's non-human is OK!

R4n

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Micronesia
... Actually i would rather say Reborn himself is the mascot of KHR. Not Leon. I actually forgot Leon exist, hahah xD
I shall pretend Reborn is not human.

My favourite mascot from KHR is Hibird. The fluffy yellow ball is so cute! No wonder he manages to melt Hibari's heart xD

Kero (Cerberus) from Cardcaptor Sakura should qualify as well. Cheerful and a bit clumsy, but can be very dependable when needed.

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
My favourite mascot would be Haro! It has appeared in practically every Gundam series, in a variety of forms and with an array of different uses, and it's just downright adorable ^^

It also contributed greatly to a very poignant scene at the end of Gundam 00's first season
when Lockon (Neil) died and the orange Haro in Dynames kept going "Lockon! Lockon!" T_T

Last edited:

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Steak(Tegami Bachi): Would he taste good if he's fried? :D I really like him because he's a bit ugly but adorable at the same time.

Relo/Lero(D.Gray-man): He's a nice umbrella. You can fly with him, take out a sword or summon a few demons. Who wouldn't like to have him? :eyeroll

Pen Pen(Neon Genesis Evangelion): He doesn't appear that often but he's kind of refreshing in this overall dark Anime. Some pengu watching TV or taking a hot bath can be funny at some times :amuse

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Beat me to Steak :darn

Shippo and Kirara from Inuyasha. Shippo was always a nice foil to Inuyasha, especially when things got to serious. Kirara could be cuddly or fearsome, she also made good long distance trasnport.

One of my favorite manga ever, Noramimi is about the lives of mascot characters. There hopes, there dreams, and professional lives. Pictured is the title character and his friend Cinnamon. Here is Noramimi with Dottari.

<.Haruka.>

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Mokona Modoki
Almost most of Clamp's work, the Mokona has some kind of appearance.
But I love them most when they were in Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and xxxHolic.
The white mokona appears mostly on Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and its main ability is teleporting to different worlds. My most favorite is the white one compare to the Black Mokona which mostly shows up on xxxHolic and has the abilities of seeing ghosts and devour spirits.
Both of them are like communicators which enable the main characters to transport information as well as objects.

Puppy (koinu) from Code: Breaker
I just love this cute sidekick of Sakurakouji because somehow he always make faces that are quite comical which sometimes lighten up or gives emphasis to a certain scene in the story. He sometimes help some of the characters in his own simple puppy way.

Shao May from Fullmetal Alchemist
Always clinging and the lovable partner of May Chang. I just can't resist the cuteness of this chibi panda and she always love to copy May Chang's expression (almost everytime).

Black Hayate fom Fullmetal Alchemist
The dependable dog of Riza Hawkeye. He's quite trained & disciplined pup. Even though he doesn't made appearances frequently either in the manga, OVA or anime, I love the mini gags/jokes about him (mostly comparison jokes).

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Everyone's choices are so cute! :3 As Kaiten said with Shippo and Kirara, I think mascot characters help lighten up the mood if the situation becomes too dark. Especially in a series aimed primarily towards children. It's a small detail that certainly helps ease the readers and at times, provides comic relief too!

Shiro (Crayon Shin-chan): Although his breed was never mentioned from what I remember, I think he looks like a Bichon Frise.

... Actually i would rather say Reborn himself is the mascot of KHR. Not Leon. I actually forgot Leon exist, hahah xD
I shall pretend Reborn is not human.
Leon does sort of blend in doesn't he? XD Reborn is clearly human but he doesn't really look like one.

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ametsu-kun from Akumetsu! One of my favourite "mascot" characters. He may not have any super-powers or whatnot but he's very helpful indeed thoughout the manga. :3 Especially when it comes to explaining and clarifying certain situations to the "audience" (+ us readers off course ;)). I believe in Akumetsu Ametsu-kun! =P

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ametsu-kun is adorable! His design reminds me of the Powerpuff Girls in a way. Superpowers or not, mascot* characters are one-of-a-kind and special to the series. Although breaking the fourth wall can be considered a different kind of power.

*At first I considered putting "Animal Characters" but it was too specific; non-human doesn't sound as nice so mascot it is! XD

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Just thought of more:

Boota from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. He usually follows Simon around and is visible on his shoulder in almost every battle, but is very happy to take a dive into Yoko's cleavage, too XD He has also shown how helpful he can be when Simon/Kamina are too starved to pilot :amuse

Happy from Fairy Tail. He's Natsu's trusty companion and favoured (read: only one he can stand without getting motion sickness) mode of transport! Though he's one of many other magical cats ("Exceed"), I think he's pretty much the mascot of Fairy Tail since he was the first we were shown.

Plue from Rave Master. Actually, I can't remember the plot of Rave Master anymore, but I still remember Plue - that's the kind of mascot he is, I suppose XD He is Elie's pet. Also makes a crossover appearance as one of Lucy's stellar spirits in Fairy Tail.

Last edited:

Crude

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I can't believe nobody's mention Kon yet! For those of you that don't know (probably very few people :D), Kon is the mascot of Bleach. He is a modsoul, an artificial soul, who inhabits a plushy resembling a lion. He is a pervert and is always getting physically abused by other characters in the series.

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
@saladesu: Thank you for your second contribution! :D If you (or anyone else) have more suggestions by all means do say so. There has to be more than what we have so far. XD

Happy is very full of energy; I love him! There's also Charle whom I like as well. Their devotion to their respective companions ("aibou") is touching.

@CrudeCross: Kon is adorable. :3 He reminds me of the Pon de Lion mascot from Mister Doughnuts!

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
thought of more:

Puck from Berserk: The famous little fairy and one of the very rare bright points, especially in the beginning. He's definitely needed in a manga as dark as Berserk.

Excalibur from Soul Eater: Annoying as hell, never liked him even though he can be funny sometimes. Fortunately he's a rare appearance :facepalm

clamche

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Lero from D gray man. The way he repeats his own name is cute and funny.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Puck from Berserk: The famous little fairy and one of the very rare bright points, especially in the beginning. He's definitely needed in a manga as dark as Berserk.
Puck actually has two different "forms", and wasn't a mascot-like character from the beginning. I think after Golden Age arc he started to have two forms, while he only had a normal style during the beginning.
Normal (original) one: http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0/321/32486-puck_large.jpg
And the "mascot" form you linked: http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/Stern1235/ChestnutPuck2.jpg
Also he kinda "shares" his mascot state with Isidro with whom he often interacts and who, as a second character, often is shown in a stylised manga form (which is really rare in Berserk and only applies to a very few minor characters as well):
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss203/T33_K3SS3LCH3N/Berserk/IsidoroundPuck.jpg
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080610113424/berserk/images/b/b2/Ishidoro.jpg
Caska is also almost degraded to a mascot (not in the real sense but it feels a bit so):(

Last edited:

Xadyu

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
How about the most famous one?

R4n

Reaction score
Country
Micronesia
Ah Pikachu. It was such a rage some years ago. I remember the uproar because of the rumours that Pikachu is related to demon worship etc when i was in elementary school. The teachers even go as far as warning us about "the danger of pokemon" in class ^^;;;

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
^ I'm pretty sure deep down the teachers had a favourite of their own. XD

My mom told me that Japanese elementary schoolers learnt katakana from Pokémon. I believe her. Its influence is powerful and my seventeen year old brother is still a fan.

Ryuk from Death Note. Okay, he's not exactly cute but he's still a prominent figure. When you ask someone to list three things relating to DN, Ryuk will almost always be on the list.

<.Haruka.>

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
^ Oh how can I forget Ryuk he's so lovable :facepalm
...and there's Rem, Sidoh and Gelus too on Death Note.

Also some others which mascot characters where named for their own series...
- my favorite hamster Hamtaro
- and Doraemon (though this cat without ears is a robot not an animal) :)

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Plum of Chobits certainly serves this purpose:
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s169/kagome_is_me/Chobits/chobits_sumomo.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/torturedpain/what - Kotoko & Plum.jpeg (the right one)
http://94.100.19.194/55/66_MLZFZ/chobits6_095.jpg

She's a ~20cm tall "Laptop" (in a time where computers usually look like humans they're still labelled desktop or laptop depending on their size), programmed on quite flashy behaviour and to make special moves in stand by. Also forces her owners to make a morning workout and functions as a hyperactive alarm clock.

Last edited: