News - Manga Publishers Targetting Edited Manga Sites | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

News Manga Publishers Targetting Edited Manga Sites

Gats

The Green Knight
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Mangahelpers made a news about a new project. A website for legal online manga, I hope it would work. This is the kind of thing I'm waiting for, I hope it will be a huge success with the editors. Then I wouldn't have to worry about the other Edited Manga websites.

elitefox

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I think this won't affect Naruto, Bleach and One piece and probably the top 10 to 20 mangas

but what about the rest?

I think they will go down since they aren't advertise freely as a consequence of it.
The manga will now depend on Anime to promote, but how many anime goes to TV?

Well in the case of Japan, maybe there wouldn't be much except the International

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's hard to say. The speed scan era from a few years ago really hurt the community. A lot of groups were more concerned about getting releases out quickly to compete for downloads, disregarded quality, while concentrating on the most popular series. Back in 2008 it was not uncommon to see seven releases of the same quality of the same Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece chapter done with the same translation, released within a day or two of each other. There's still a lot of variety out there but even with the online reader sites there's less seinen, shojo, or josei fans then there was when I started reading manga four years ago. The best way to find new and interesting series is to follow the very comprehensive release tracker at mangaupdates.

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
R.I.P Onemanga ...

So, as most of you noticed, July 2010 will mark the end of the known online manga website.

Here is the announcment:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"There is an end to everything, to good things as well."

It pains me to announce that this is the last week of manga reading on One Manga (!!). Manga publishers have recently changed their stance on manga Edited Mangas and made it clear that they no longer approve of it. We have decided to abide by their wishes, and remove all manga content (regardless of licensing status) from the site. The removal of content will happen gradually (so you can at least finish some of the outstanding reading you have), but we expect all content to be gone by early next week (RIP OM July 2010).

So what next? We're not really sure at this point, but we have some ideas we would like to try out. Until then, the One Manga forums will remain active and we encourage all of you to continue using them. OMF has developed into a great community and it would be a shame to see that disappear.

You can also show us some love in this moment of sadness by 'liking' our brand new Facebook page. It would be nice to see just how many of you came to enjoy our 'better than peanut butter and jelly' invention.

Regardless of whether you stay with us or not, on behalf of the One Manga team, I would like to thank you all for your unwavering support over the years. Through the ups and downs you have stuck with us, and that is what kept us going.

As a certain Porky was fond of saying... That's all folks!

Time for me to go lay down and let this all sink in.

- Zabi

----------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading this, I realized that alot of Edited Manga websites will meet the same fate as onemanga's.
I just hope that we'll always be able to enjoy reading the manga online, knowing that we, who live in far countries are not able to buy the magazines which means we can't read the manga if the Edited Mangas are banned from the internet ... Onemanga was the first online rerading website I knew... It really troubles me to know that the website that allowed me to enjoy Naruto, Bleach, One piece, Gantz, Vagabond and alot of my favorite mangas will disappear.
I always thought that the Edited Manga websites bring more fans and more fame to the mangakas... But it seems that everything is about money now.

R.I.P Onemanga and thanks for everything ...

[mod=Charlie-San]Moved[/mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
This will not be the end of Edited Manga sites. Manga Editors are not being targeted, sites run by the people who clean, edit, translate, and typeset are unaffected. There are plenty of sites that offer download services: mangatraders, lurk, and distro are still around. Mangaupdates still has it's entries and still has release alerts. Most Manga Editors provide RSS feeds for updates. This is the end of online readers. The future looks a lot like the past, finding manga is more like it was before the online readers which are a fairly recent phenomenon. A little effort and all the manga that could be found on the readers is still out there :)

Mushashi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
download everything you can before the apocalypse happens. collect a few terrorbytes for the long winter. thats what im doing.

up yours american publishers i have alot of manga i have bought like 400 volumes as you can see in the manga collection thread but im still gonna read this pirated crap because your too lazy to stay up to date. these Manga Editors work long and hard when they dont even get paid.

all you have achieved is to force the Edited Mangas underground like american comics have done. it will just be torrents and stuff now rather then a big market and you won't catch them if you planned on actuely taking legal action againset anyone do it in secret. dont announce it to the world so we can tuck tail and run

Janie_P

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Sure, you can call it piracy to scanlate manga, but real fans still support their favourite mangaka and buy the volumes once they arre published in their respective country (or, well, they should, I guess. There's a lot of work behind 16 pages of Naruto, or Once Piece and all the other manga out there, even if it doesn't look like that to some people.)
I buy manga I like here in Germany as well, and still I have to say that there is a better quality in the translation when I read scanlated manga. With Naruto, for example, we Germans are more than 100 chapters behind. =/ Where's the problem in buying the volumes from Japan immeditately after they've been published there? It can't take too much time to edit them if Manga Editors manage to do one chapter in a few hours. And printing a few copies, we live in the 21st Century, how long can it take with high-speed printing?
Moreover, just look at MH. How many different people gather here every week to discuss new chapters? Or come here every day to talk about their favourite manga? It brings people together, even if it's 'only' via a monitor screen. I don't wanna go too much into drama, but without weekly Edited Mangas, this all would eventually become less busier and less crowded. That is, if they can completely remove them from the I.net, and I somehow doubt that. xD
It's the same with music *cough* download *cough* and I still don't see big music stars begging for money on the streets, even though people 'buy' music online. x'D
So,piracy-hunters, let the fans read Edited Mangas. Put subscription fees on them, or whatever, hardcore fans are willing to pay a monthly amount of money to read manga, I'd say. Just don't act as if the manga industry is running out of money because of Edited Mangas, because I don't believe it.

Alterno

Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
I also buy the manga and have the scanlated versions in my pc, because the laws in this country allows me to have a digital copy of everything I own for my personal use. I have 48 English volumes so far and 51 in Japanese (because I'm still learning it), but seriously this is really depressing, now I find myself back to IRC to get anything new about manga.

hawaplop

Reaction score
Country
United States
[News] Manga Publishers Targetting Edited Manga Sites

why does onemanga not have the chapters anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Re: Naruto Hangout Thread v.11

Publishers wanted OM to take down licensed manga. OM wanted to play it safe and take down unlicensed manga as well. What happened to MH and MT happened with OM. MS is safe since it's not one-stop manga site.

Last edited:

Alterno

Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic

Publishers wanted OM to take down licensed manga. OM wanted to play it safe and take down unlicensed manga as well. What happened to MH and MT happened with OM. MS is safe since it's not one-stop manga site.
Well you could say that, but they eventually become more famous..., they already are well known for releasing the big 3 faster than any other Edited Manga, like SF used to do... although SF today offer the most accurate translation, they can't be high quality and fast scan, MS eventually will become a target for publishers.

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Well you could say that, but they eventually become more famous..., they already are well known for releasing the big 3 faster than any other Edited Manga, like SF used to do... although SF today offer the most accurate translation, they can't be high quality and fast scan, MS eventually will become a target for publishers.
Huh? If the SF you're referring to is the same SF I'm thinking of then I disagree that they offer the most accurate translation. I've read some raws of the big 3 myself and compared between SF and MS, and the SF translation wasn't accurate at all :/ IMO, for its speed (and even regardless of it), MS has pretty much the best quality all around.

Anyway, didn't Viz or someone already target MS to make them get rid of their iPhone app? Yet they didn't say anything about deleting the actual manga on the site or ceasing Editing... :/

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
That's probably because MS only host chapter that are not in volume form. When they are released in volumes they stop hosting those chapter so it doesn't hurt sales.

Alterno

Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic

Huh? If the SF you're referring to is the same SF I'm thinking of then I disagree that they offer the most accurate translation. I've read some raws of the big 3 myself and compared between SF and MS, and the SF translation wasn't accurate at all :/ IMO, for its speed (and even regardless of it), MS has pretty much the best quality all around.

Anyway, didn't Viz or someone already target MS to make them get rid of their iPhone app? Yet they didn't say anything about deleting the actual manga on the site or ceasing Editing... :/
Well then you should look well.. SF has the indeed the most accurate translation these days and not only the most accurate translation also the most cleanest scan, download 505 from SF and download 505 from SF and compare it .. in fact corrections done by other translators and you'll find out that Sakura's translation is much better than Narudoho and Hisshabouriken.

I'm also surprised about the quality offered, I was used to read it @ OM, but now that OM is down and we have to download the file, I can tell that SF gives better Edited Manga, a little better than MS, although they take more time to release it.

zidane

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Sleepyfans stole page 1-4 of Naruto 505 from Binktopia/MangaStream, putting a slight filter over them to cover it up, but the line redraws and watermark cover ups make it obvious.
For the other pages... you are kidding, right?

Regardless, if you keep discussing that here, you'll get an infraction. Stay on topic please.

akairi

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest (OOKAMI NO MONSHOU) by YUGO Yuuki

Whats the deal with Mangahelpers? When are they going to continue this manga hear? Mostly all the manga sites are really pissiing me off. They keep shutting down the popluar ones and they are also taking down the mangas that are for adults, Well Im an adult and I read everything. Its just not fair!!!!!!!!!!!!. And on top of that, this manga is discontinued.

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
It's hard now to find a website that keeps old manga.
What should I do if I wanted to read an old one? this is irritating... who knows how things will be 3 mounths from now. Maybe worse.

warbandit66

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest (OOKAMI NO MONSHOU) by YUGO Yuuki

There's a massive crackdown on the online distribution on manga online right now. It's the reason OneManga shut down their online manga reader. I've also noticed that many sites that used to carry series like Tenjho Tenge and Wolf Guy have pulled it. I'd be totally okay with this if getting a hold of the manga that I read was easier and more affordable in the U.K. importing it certainly boosts the price tag.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's hard now to find a website that keeps old manga.
What should I do if I wanted to read an old one? this is irritating... who knows how things will be 3 mounths from now. Maybe worse.
mangatraders is still around. If you are looking to find individual Manga Editors try mangaupdates.