Discussion - Manga Club - #01 Reading & Sharing "Insomniacs After School" | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Manga Club - #01 Reading & Sharing "Insomniacs After School"

Selecting the collective reading story for October:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Hello and welcome to the Manga Club!

Presentation and General Rules
This is a collective read spot where we'll be periodically selecting series to be shared. We aim to have people introducing their favorite hidden gems to the community - series we hardly or never heard about and that really deserve some love and attention. So here's the Manga Club format:
  • Any member can join the club! Just post here saying you wanna be a part of it. The moment you do it, you'll be added to the current rotation. You can participate the reading and the discussions even if you don't join the suggestions part. You are also allowed to suggest manhuas and manhwas, completed series and oneshots.
  • The series rotation format follows these phases: suggesting, selecting, reading and sharing (explained in the section bellow).
  • Avoid suggesting series that already have a dedicated discussion thread, we don't wanna shift the focus from it. In case someone suggests one of those, we'll debate if it will be included as an option for the Manga Club or if the person will be requested to suggest something else.
  • The first volume of the selected series will be recommended for the reading cycle. Anyone is free to read further, but spoiler tags will be mandatory in the discussion/review thread in case events that only happen past that initial one volume are to be mentioned.

Rotations and Current Calendar
The rotations are monthly and the dates for each phase will be added to this thread once a round starts. Every start of the month, this thread will be updated to follow the calendar bellow:
  • 1st week - suggesting: during this time, every member of the club has to suggest one series for the pool. If the member suggested a series in the previous month that wasn't selected for the reading, he can chose to resuggest the series or to provide a new one.
  • 2nd week - selecting: once the pool is formed with the suggestions from all club members, in the first day of the second week, a poll will be added to this thread. To help people selecting the series to be read, details about each of them will be add and pinned here in this thread.
  • 3rd and 4th weeks - reading and sharing: the members have these two weeks to read and discuss the series. People can do so in their own pace, within this time, and start sharing their thoughts about the series whenever. Spoiler tags are mandatory before the third week ends, though.

#02 Manga Club Rotation Calendar

• Suggesting Phase: from Oct 1st to Oct 7th.
  • Selecting Phase: from Oct 8th to Oct 14th.
  • Reading and Sharing Phase: from Oct 15th to Oct 31st.

Participants and Suggestions
  • I sold my life for ten thousand yen per year (by Farfalla)
  • Insomniacs After School (by Erinyes)
  • Ichigeki (by Ramen)
  • Our Dreams at Dusk (by MarmaladeSky)
  • Yozakura Quartet (by Sky)
  • May I Ask for One Final Thing (by Juviii)
  • The Gods Lie (by revo)
  • They were Eleven (by Faust)
  • Hotel: since 2079 (by Hardy)
  • Yankee-kun to hakujou Gaaru (by Tatsumaki)
  • Knights of Sidonia (by Copy Panda)
  • Cats are Facing West (by Ustegius)

Please discuss the series in this thread.

Last edited:

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Alright, guys! We'll be reading Insomniacs After School (Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia), suggested by @Erinyes !

I was in an appointment and got a meeting now, but I'll post some general rules shortly after.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Ok, so just to recap the rule about the reading and discussing phase:
  • The first volume of the selected series will be recommended for the reading cycle. Anyone is free to read further, but spoiler tags will be mandatory in the discussion/review thread in case events that only happen past that initial one volume are to be mentioned.

Basically, we can start reading and discussing the series already \^^/ To keep this model flowing, we'll be reading the first volume (first 8 chapters in this case), and we're all free to continue reading the series and allowed to mention further topics here, as long as we use spoiler tags not to ruin the experience for the ones that are behind or will continue in another time. This is an ongoing series so I really hope you guys enjoy it and keep following it. It has a cat :zomg

In November 1st, another rotation starts in a new thread, and we'll focus on a different series, but this thread will remain available for any talk regarding Insomniacs After School. After the new rotation starts, the use of spoiler tags won't be demanded anymore (and hopefully we can create a dedicated place for the series). Cheers~

Last edited:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Or create a separate thread for reading.

Ramen

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Or create a separate thread for reading.
Should someone create a separate thread for discussing the chosen series?

Faust

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
This place is dedicated to suggesting and selecting what we will be reading only.
Please discuss the series in this thread.
There's no link attached in this thread

Faust

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Read the early chapters. Not sure if I like that there's some romantic aspect in the story.

Demonspeed

Damegami
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Completed the first volume.

It was a nice read. The romance aspect was inevitable IMO and doesn't bother me. I like the two MCs, but Magari is a bit odd, lacking a bit of common sense? I am not sure. Does she need people's warmth to fall asleep? I got that impression when Kurashiki-sensei looked at her and the cat. And that last chapter. Is that story actually true? :hmm And Nakami might have mommy issues?

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Completed the first volume.

It was a nice read. The romance aspect was inevitable IMO and doesn't bother me. I like the two MCs, but Magari is a bit odd, lacking a bit of common sense? I am not sure. Does she need people's warmth to fall asleep? I got that impression when Kurashiki-sensei looked at her and the cat. And that last chapter. Is that story actually true? :hmm And Nakami might have mommy issues?
Oh theres a reason to it she will explain aound chapter 28/29 i think, why shes suffering insomnia, and what causes her anguish.

and yes its a romance, told it from the start :teehee

and sensei is awesoem :wtf

@Faust im sorry if you dont like it, i figured that maybe some people will dislike the fact it has romance, :stoo bad its a sweet and well done romance imo, so far.

Last edited:

Ramen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
S/o to @Erinyes for the recommendation:

My thoughts 👇

Not a bad manga, definitely enjoyed this one and will definitely be checking out Makoto Ojiro's other stuff. It's a great manga that gives off chill vibes and the idea of both of em going to day to day while plagued with Insomnia is an interesting bonus. I might be on the unpopular side but I'm enjoying their romance development chapter by chapter and it's not just rushed.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, this being a story about characters who have trouble sleeping is such a great personal hook for me. I could really relate with Nakami early how, in how he describes his sleep pattern.

Plot / Setting - It's not an original concept by any stretch; boy meets girl. What I'm enjoying is the circumstance around their meeting; it's not a new kid transferred to a different school. The characters know each other, but have now just been thrown into this new situation where they're discovering their similarities and how that maybe sets them apart from everyone else.

Characters - Isaki is already my favourite character. From the way she's drawn; with those big bright eyes and her overalls, to her mannerisms and how headstrong she is in front of everyone, except Nakami.

Art - You know, the art here isn't anything that pops or that you could really compare with other series of its genre but it's the way in which the mangaka uses the art to direct our emotions; like not drawing the backgrounds in even the cluttered observatory to isolate Nakami and Isaki; as it's just them in this space, in this world against everyone else. Art with purpose, I like it. Isaki's design is so adorable; yet has this tomboyish side to it still.

I really enjoyed the pacing of the first batch of chapters and the slice of life aspect of this series; it makes for just an enjoyable read. Probably the funniest moment so far is when at the nurse's office, the cat jumps on the bed, eats the nurse's sandwich and she screams bloody murder at him :XD . The 3rd chapter with Isaki and Nakami's midnight outing was just really adorable; especially when he began taking photos of against the midnight sky.

Ramen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
First of all, this being a story about characters who have trouble sleeping is such a great personal hook for me. I could really relate with Nakami early how, in how he describes his sleep pattern.

Plot / Setting - It's not an original concept by any stretch; boy meets girl. What I'm enjoying is the circumstance around their meeting; it's not a new kid transferred to a different school. The characters know each other, but have now just been thrown into this new situation where they're discovering their similarities and how that maybe sets them apart from everyone else.

Characters - Isaki is already my favourite character. From the way she's drawn; with those big bright eyes and her overalls, to her mannerisms and how headstrong she is in front of everyone, except Nakami.

Art - You know, the art here isn't anything that pops or that you could really compare with other series of its genre but it's the way in which the mangaka uses the art to direct our emotions; like not drawing the backgrounds in even the cluttered observatory to isolate Nakami and Isaki; as it's just them in this space, in this world against everyone else. Art with purpose, I like it. Isaki's design is so adorable; yet has this tomboyish side to it still.

I really enjoyed the pacing of the first batch of chapters and the slice of life aspect of this series; it makes for just an enjoyable read. Probably the funniest moment so far is when at the nurse's office, the cat jumps on the bed, eats the nurse's sandwich and she screams bloody murder at him :XD . The 3rd chapter with Isaki and Nakami's midnight outing was just really adorable; especially when he began taking photos of against the midnight sky.
Damn, I feel for you dude. Go get some shut eye lol.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Finally started^^ Still on chapter two, tho.

Being sleep deprived myself for almost 2y, I feel for those characters. It's indeed a vicious cycle, whenever it seems I'll be able to sleep well, then anxiety often kicks in. And then being cranky and with headaches is so impairing D:

We also have an abandoned control tower in the Brasilia Airport, so this manga got me thinking about getting a copy of the key to sleep there XD Just some fantansy thoughts, tho. Still home offic'ing and by the time pandemic is rly under control, I hope my kid is mature enough to sleep properly on a regular basis. Fingers crossed @.@

About the series, I love the slice of life genre overall. For me, they're always enjoyable to follow in a very light way, which I welcome due to days sometimes being stressful and rushed, this is one of the ways I manage to slow down. So far, I'm growing fond of Isaki, I smiled at how sharp and empathetic she is, while being bubbly. She provides some contrast, being always drained but still acting lively and tanking her mess, that's endearing, imo. Also, I like how the character presents some points on topics many people can relate to, being an insonminiac or not (depression, stress, etc). The art style in Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia is rly something I appreciate, and so far I enjoy the pace and how casual things are. Will come back with more comments once I'm done with the volume^^

Juviii

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Finally started as well.

A few thoughts:
Art- Nothing special. I'm not a fan of the more realistic style. It's well drawn but not original and personally not my cup of tea.

Plot: good so far. I can also relate to the insomniacs pain. I like how they explore the subject without making it boring.

Characters: I like them. The girl is very nice and cheerful. Like her straight forward personality. As for the boy he is alright. Also those 2 are very shippable so I approve. :teehee

P.s: the cat is besto btw.

Last edited:

revo

The Witch of Certainty
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Finally managed to read a bit
Knew the author from a previous work that was mostly romance, so I got hyped as soon as I saw the art style. :nod

The series gives a great feeling, it's the type slice of life I like, comfy and gives a kinda nostalgic feeling, but still being realistic.
A lot of people felt touched by the whole insomnia topic and the author developed it pretty great, I liked the descriptions the characters give of what it feels like never being able to sleep at night, feels personal and unique.

The characters are good, there are the right amount and all likeable, I especially love Nakami the most, I like simple and imperfect MCs like him.
Magari is a cutie as well, a good girl, the chemistry with Nakami is good, the romance really does have potential but so far this type of relationship is great.

The plot is pretty simple tbh but that's fine.
The artstyle is the thing I enjoy the most, I love the mix between anime style and realistic, the style of the characters, the expressions, the backgrounds, the colors, and of course the cat. The aesthetic is beautiful in general, can't wait to read more. :blush

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
It's funny to see the mixed opinions about the art xD I rly appreciate that sort of detailed yet clean style, that looks realistic but also cartoonish, and I think that's very common in slice of life series. It was a legit surprise to see that's not the cup of tea of many people.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Mnmh, it is!! Okay I just started reading, so no comments on the story itself yet - but I think the artstyle is really suitable for this. It's not too "pretty" or "flashy" and I like that.
Very common indeed though with slice of life, so nothing new, but definitely appreciate it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Mhm, okay so far I really like the relationship between Isaki and Nakami. It's sweet how they ended up sleeping next to each other in the first chapter.
Love the contrast between the two characters - Isaki feels like a bit of an enthusiastic weirdo, Nakami perhaps not less weird, but certainly a lot calmer.
That however makes me really enjoy their interactions. (And her teasing "you're number 3 now" - after the cat visits)

Teacher lady casually chilling with them in the room they've been using. Must be relaxing for her as well xD

The way insomnia is described in the first few chapters feels very relatable. Isaki says the following:
"Whether we decide to have fun or suffer, the same morning will come"
And that really resonates. Why not make the suffering a bit less suffering and a bit more bearable?
So that was the birth of the "night time fun club". Can't say I did not snort a little at this name.

Overal a good start, can't wait to read more - it's a simple story that doesn't require you to overthink everything they say or study every little detail. That's great!! Such a casual slice of life, with interesting topics. I'm living for it.

Also! The chapters have astronomy related titles :zomg Really love that detail

And....

Just as I was thinking "hey I kind of like that teacher lady in chapter 2"

Okay it's ruined.

Zirconium

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Finished volume 1 as well. I think it‘s quite a decent story with an interesting topic and a slight romantic aspect which I don‘t mind at all. In fact, the relationship between Magari and Nakami seems quite natural without any unnecessary drama.
What caught my attention during reading the chapters was the scene when we learned a little bit more about Magari health condition when she was younger. Apparently she had a frail body that isn‘t really a good omen when I think about Your Lie in April. ^^ Or later on when she told Nakami that she‘ll be waving him from the moon which doesn’t really sound joyful either. I just hope I’m just reading too much into it and nothing bad will happen to her.
I‘ll definitely try to read more of it. :-)

Demonspeed

Damegami
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I found the art a bit weird at first but I don't dislike it.

I think the author is better at drawing male characters and certain type of female characters. Magari and the Sensei look much better than the rest of the female characters IMO, the blonde for example looks rather weird compared to them. With the male characters I didn't get the impression that there was too much of a "gap" if that makes sense.

I will try to read the second volume and possibly more this weekend.