Discussion - Manga/Anime Archetypes and Tropes *Otaku only!* | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Manga/Anime Archetypes and Tropes *Otaku only!*

Hrathgrath

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Those of us that have read/watched a large number of manga/anime have no doubt noticed a large number of character types (archetypes) and recurring themes (tropes) that are seen throughout them. Some people get annoyed at people pointing these out because they feel, wether they admit it or not, that it degrades a series they enjoy, by making it seem less unique. Personally, wether it’s unique or not doesn’t make it any less cool, so I thought some people might find it fun and interesting to see these T and A (pun intended 😊) laid out!

Common Shōnen Archetypes:

Chapter 1- The Protagonist

There are typically two types, though there are exceptions of course.

1. The well meaning, kinda dumb, protagonist that begins the story weak, unpopular, and underestimated. Over time, sometimes quickly, they are shown to be unconventionally strong, usually a savant (untrained genius) at tactics, and develops a connection to almost everyone they meet, even their enemies. Their strength is attributed to their connection to others, and their willingness to risk it all for the sake of others, and even more so to those they care about.
Examples: Son Goku, Naruto Uzumaki, Asta (Black Clover), Monkey D Luffy, Denji (Chainsawman), Natsu Dragneel, Izuku Midoria, etc...

2. The intelligent, also well meaning, protagonist, that is very strong, overwhelmingly so, has a group of friends that look up to him, is attractive, and withdrawn (to varying degrees) from typical desires of the average teenager/young adult. They begin the story being as self sufficient as they possibly can be, and over time learn to rely on others, sometimes helping those others to become stronger directly. This archetype tends to only respect those that are strong like themselves, and tend to become obsessed with defeating the “Big Bad” of the series so much so that they ignore other important issues and social connections. When not the protagonist of the story, this archetype is typically the deuteragonist. (Secondary protagonist) Or a former villain.
Examples: Vegeta (Dragonball Z), Ichigo Kurosaki, Saitama (OnePunch Man), Cadis Etrama Di Raizel (Noblesse), Sasuke Uchiha, Yuno (Black Clover), etc...

I’ll add to this periodically, but I’m totally open to others adding to it as well!

Next... Chapter 2 - The Antagonist

@goldb , @PeanutButterJelly , @hokageji , @Hannibal Psyche , @thedude , @eefrit , @Moegara , @tony p , @Admiral Teach

Those of you I flagged are just some of the people that I though might find this interesting. Feel free to ignore! 🤓

Last edited:

Hrathgrath

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chapter 2- The Antagonist

The antagonist of almost every manga/anime is a person who is usually so intelligent or powerful (sometimes both) that they feel separated from the rest of society, and this feels like they have the right, or responsibility, or reforming the world as they see fit. They generally have little to no concern of ethics because they see themselves as so far above the average person that they view everyone else as we would view insects. They see the protagonist(s) as a disease, something to be overcome, as opposed to someone to address and communicate with to work though an issue. They are so far beneath their notice that they see them and their actions as a setback, but their confidence in their own superiority results in an absolute refusal to admit that ther is a possibility they won’t win completely in the end. Most of these characters are immortal, in reality or effect, so their view is likely from experience.
Example: Orochimaru, Dio (Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure), All For One (My Hero Acedemia), Muzan Kibutsuji (Demon Slayer), Frieza, The Celestial Dragons (One Piece), Aizen Souske (Bleach), Makima (ChainsawMan), etc...

Next Chapter The Teacher...

Demonspeed

Damegami
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
What are you trying to do exactly? List all tropes in fiction? It'd be endless.

Hrathgrath

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are you trying to do exactly? List all tropes in fiction? It'd be endless.
The tropes that most shonen manga/anime have in common. As to why? Mostly because I find it interesting and I was bored. I like to know how things work, and why they work. That goes for stories and people alike! 😊